Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Alright, let's do this: The Where Are You Located Thread

State College, right? If I remember there wasn't enough diversification for your liking.

I forgot you're JTB, right?

It wasn't the lack of diversity in State College I disliked, it was the general acceptance of racist behavior. And the town is pretty meh compared to other college towns I've lived (Athens GA, Chapel Hill and Ann Arbor).

Michigan has 4 well defined seasons. 5 if you count construction. You know what you are getting and you know when you are getting it. Like the beach? That's great Michigan has the second longest coastline in the us. We don't have sharks. We don't have hurricanes. If you see a snake here feel free to not be scared. The odds of it being poisonous are pretty slim. We have some great colleges and Ann Arbor is always ranked high.

The UP is an absurd playland of everything nature. You want to see painted rock. Go ahead but don't forget the bear farm and see the falls the up has to offer.

Our sports teams are always at or near the top in sports in both college and pros. We expect to be good as a state as far as sports go.

Detroit is leading the revolution that everyone was sure was going come from silicon valley as far as automated cars go. Which is going to be a huge deal.

We also have some of the best hunting and fishing you can get nation wide.

It wasn't the lack of diversity in State College I disliked, it was the general acceptance of racist behavior. And the town is pretty meh compared to other college towns I've lived (Athens GA, Chapel Hill and Ann Arbor).

And what was this racist behavior you speak of? Would love to get some examples

Michigan has 4 well defined seasons. 5 if you count construction. You know what you are getting and you know when you are getting it. Like the beach? That's great Michigan has the second longest coastline in the us. We don't have sharks. We don't have hurricanes. If you see a snake here feel free to not be scared. The odds of it being poisonous are pretty slim. We have some great colleges and Ann Arbor is always ranked high.

The UP is an absurd playland of everything nature. You want to see painted rock. Go ahead but don't forget the bear farm and see the falls the up has to offer.

Our sports teams are always at or near the top in sports in both college and pros. We expect to be good as a state as far as sports go.

Detroit is leading the revolution that everyone was sure was going come from silicon valley as far as automated cars go. Which is going to be a huge deal.

There were two main seasons when I was there: cold and grey and colder and white. There was a 1-2 month respite of beautiful weather in the summer. Spend some time time in NC if you want more moderate, yet distinct seasons. Or avoid winter altogether.

I don't care for the beach, but you can't believe people would choose the Great Lakes over the ocean? And many other midwestern states have the same outdoor options, though I bet real outdoorsmen prefer Rocky Mountain states, or AK for hunting and fishing.

Aside from hockey and college fb, the sports teams aren't consistently good. I'll take your word about the tech revolution, though Detroit was a he!!hole when I was there.

UM is great, which is the only reason I spent any time in MI.

And what was this racist behavior you speak of? Would love to get some examples

Open use of the "N" word and black stereotypes, far worse than I experienced growing up in the south. Also got introduced to Holocaust denial.

Open use of the "N" word and black stereotypes, far worse than I experienced growing up in the south. Also got introduced to Holocaust denial.

Oh, because if you want to hear the N word on every block, I'm your man. Let me know. Eye roll

Oh, because if you want to hear the N word on every block, I'm your man. Let me know. Eye roll

Given your rabid anti-foreigner rhetoric, it doesn't surprise me that you've been exposed to a lot of ignorant verbiage. :argue:

Given your rabid anti-foreigner rhetoric, it doesn't surprise me that you've been exposed to a lot of ignorant verbiage. :argue:

anti-foreigner? When did I ever say that? Im anti-Muslim (any sane person is) and illegal immigrant. I love foreigners. My parents are foreigners, along with many of my friends. You're a total biggot with your pre-conceived notions.

I've been to Ann Arbor, it is meh, nothing special about it other than it is moderately nicer than most of the rest of Michigan, at least from Flint south. The northern part of the LP and the Yoop are nice in an outdoorsy way, as are any of the other upper midwest states. :dunno:

anti-foreigner? When did I ever say that? Im anti-Muslim (any sane person is) and illegal immigrant. I love foreigners. My parents are foreigners, along with many of my friends. You're a total biggot with your pre-conceived notions.

You win. Let's resume the topic of the OP.

I've been to Ann Arbor, it is meh, nothing special about it other than it is moderately nicer than most of the rest of Michigan, at least from Flint south. The northern part of the LP and the Yoop are nice in an outdoorsy way, as are any of the other upper midwest states. :dunno:

I know, but it's all about perspective. If all you've experienced is the flat, frigid wasteland that characterizes most of the midwest and plains states, it's paradise!

In my bed. Christened my son today, had a nice lunch with friends and family. My friends drank too much, big bill. Fun though.

Yes

Have read about guys who have done this. I respect the Hell out of them. I live half a mile from the river just past the GreaterNewOrlens bridge. I've seen sh!t in that water and currents that are scary as fawk. The mighty Mississippi is nothing to fawk with. I also used to drink Dixie beer, which is where they got the water from. Never drink the last ounce. That sediment that got through is from fawking Yankees using the river as their toilet. It all drains south. :lol:

If you only knew. :lol:

We spend our summers on Cass Lake here in Minny, its part of the miss. Lots of recycled beer gets sent your way. :cheers:

In my bed. Christened my son today, had a nice lunch with friends and family. My friends drank too much, big bill. Fun though.

Why wasn't I invited ??

I'm a hop skip and Uber away. I tip good too.

It's alright I lost me shirt at Belmont today.

SW Michigan along the lake has some nice little towns and some are great places to raise a family.

Plenty of places for swimming, boating, fishing, kayaking, and hiking in the summer.

I'm not a surfer, so I don't need huge waves and I prefer to swim in freshwater. I do like fishing the larger fish in the ocean, but the trade off is worth it to me.

The proximity to Chicago's nightlife, pro sports, restaurants, museums, festivals, and murdeous thugs is also a huge benefit.

Of course the winters can be brutal......if you're a pussie.

SW Michigan along the lake has some nice little towns and some are great places to raise a family.

Plenty of places for swimming, boating, fishing, kayaking, and hiking in the summer.

I'm not a surfer, so I don't need huge waves and I prefer to swim in freshwater. I do like fishing the larger fish in the ocean, but the trade off is worth it to me.

The proximity to Chicago's nightlife, pro sports, restaurants, museums, festivals, and murdeous thugs is also a huge benefit.

Of course the winters can be brutal......if you're a pussie.

I'm sure I've endured colder temps than you, but prefer not to live in them. And if your hometown's greatest asset is proximity to somewhere better, maybe you should just move there?

And if your hometown's greatest asset is proximity to somewhere better, maybe you should just move there?

It's not the greatest asset, but it's a plus. I lived in Chicago before I moved out here and there are many things I miss about it. But my priorities shifted as I had kids and this is a better place for us all to live. We still get to experience the city whenever we want.

Also, I hate the cold. Long term, I would prefer to spend winters in a warmer climate and come back up this way for the summer.

• Like 1

It's not the greatest asset, but it's a plus. I lived in Chicago before I moved out here and there are many things I miss about it. But my priorities shifted as I had kids and this is a better place for us all to live. We still get to experience the city whenever we want.

Also, I hate the cold. Long term, I would prefer to spend winters in a warmer climate and come back up this way for the summer.

So a place to spend ~9 mos a year, minus a few trips to Chicago. I travel a couple months annually, so I can't be too judgmental, but MI is unbearable for about half the year IMO. And the really nice weather only lasts a month or two.

I fully believe Michigan is the best state in the nation to live in.

Omelette LA and I'll change your thinking.

Fock the cold. That's why I'm moving. The city I live in now gets and stays around freezing for about 4 months. Between that and the pollution from the coal heaters, and its focking unbearable.

Taking a slight pay cut to move. Right on the beach, tropical climate, can be in Hong Kong in less than an hour. Looking forward to it.

That thing about Michigan and its coastline seems to vary depending upon what link you click on.

Wiki tells another story . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_coastline

michigan believes you though: http://www.michigan.gov/som/0,4669,7-192-26847-103397--,00.html

I'm sure its all a matter of how you judge things, but holy fark, i'd think cali, tx, fl would have longer coastlines.

So a place to spend ~9 mos a year, minus a few trips to Chicago. I travel a couple months annually, so I can't be too judgmental, but MI is unbearable for about half the year IMO. And the really nice weather only lasts a month or two.

I love the weather here from May-October.

Jan and Feb are usually when I need to gtfo.

I'm sure I've endured colder temps than you,

I'll take that bet.

Jan and Feb are ice fishing months. Get out and enjoy the weather.

Ann Arbor is a sh1thole freakshow college town.

I'm sure NV has seen colder but it got down to like -30 here a couple winters ago and was in the negative temps for like 2 straight weeks. Fock that noise, makes you wanna just stay indoors all day and night.

So you don't love it 5 months a year? Sounds great!

There certainly are worse places to live, but nobody is arguing any are the best states in the US. The way I rank 'em, MI would be lucky to crack the top 20.

OK. -40 with 30 mph winds at the 17K camp on Denali. The thermometer was bottomed out, so it probably was colder than that.

Ice fishing on Upper Red Lake. Propane tanks got so cold that the gas inside them turned liquid and could no longer keep the furnace going. On shore the temp got to -48, nine miles out on the lake it's anyone guess how much colder it was.

Isn't ice fishing typically spent drunk and huddled inside a shanty?

If you are doing it right.

Born in Queens, grew up on Long Island, high school in northern NJ, lived in several Philadelphia suburbs before moving into the city in 2003 or so.

So you don't love it 5 months a year? Sounds great!

There certainly are worse places to live, but nobody is arguing any are the best states in the US. The way I rank 'em, MI would be lucky to crack the top 20.

Of course you live in paradise, so it's hard to top, but MI is top 10 for me. There are still 6 I have yet to see.

And, my opinion is skewed by the fact that my current station in life here is pretty good. Conversely, NY is a pretty decent state, but my time there wasn't all that great, so I don't think of it as fondly.

Ice fishing on Upper Red Lake. Propane tanks got so cold that the gas inside them turned liquid and could no longer keep the furnace going. On shore the temp got to -48, nine miles out on the lake it's anyone guess how much colder it was.

Well that was the temp during the day on Denali. Plus we didn't have any stinking propane tanks, just a tent and blocks of ice to shield us from the wind. My drool froze to my face when I slept, as did the bottle of urine I kept in the tent to avoid pissing outside. And I was on the mountain for over two weeks.

I'll concede the lower recorded temp to you, but I probably endured a fvck ton more exposure than your drunken ice capades. Either way, you aren't painting a hospitable picture of the upper Midwest.