Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB Alvin Kamara, Saints

The Saints may be hoping to get their next Pierre Thomas with this pick, but it is hard to defend the selection of a No. 3 running back when New Orleans still has yet to address its pass rush. The Tennessee product is a top-five back in this draft on talent alone, but he was far too inconsistent and comes with a few red flags. Worst of all, it's hard to see where Kamara will get more than 100 touches in 2017 or 2018 with Mark Ingram and Adrian Peterson likely still around. Kamara has among the best mix of balance, elusiveness, slipperiness and pass-catching abilities among backs in this class, while his explosiveness (4.56 speed, 39 1/2" vertical and 10'11" long jump) explains how he produced 23 touchdowns in only 284 touches at Tennessee. If Kamara could play every week like he did against Texas A&M last year, he'll be worth the pick. But there's a reason he never carried the ball 20 times in a game in college. He's going to need a lot of things to happen in front of him in order to be fantasy-relevant anytime soon.

• Like 1

I already said I don't see the Saints doing away with Ingram after the signing of Peterson.

But do you think with this pick that could indeed become a possibility?

Maybe Kamara will be used more like a Reggie Bush type of player on offense. He is too talented not to be involved someway in this exsploive offense.

Maybe Kamara will be used more like a Reggie Bush type of player on offense. He is too talented not to be involved someway in this exsploive offense.

I read something that pointed out NO may be trying to get back to 2009 when Mike Bell, Pierre Thomas and Bush combined for 389 carries and 90 catches. The same writer speculated AP would play the Bell role, Ingram would be PT and Kamara would be Bell. With that said ...

I like the landing spot and the Saints are smart for not counting on him. Kamara has a very fantasy-friendly game. But the difference between 2009 and 2017 is the former had a defense. These Saints are trying, but passing up a pass rusher (Jordan Willis, Tim Williams and Derek Rivers among them) for a third running back doesn't make sense to me. I realize Cadet isn't great, but he's passable for another year while you fix the defense and draft another guy like Kamara - I promise you there will be one or three similar to him next year. I do like the pick of Hendrickson later in the round and like the player, but he's a situational pass-rusher in all likelihood.

Kamara will be one of those players I will track throughout the summer and see if Payton gives us any hints on if he indeed plans on using him like Bush.

The thing about New Oreleans is that the backfield will put points on the board. Figuring on The Who is the tough part.

Injuries usually are the determinant to who gets the lions share. My fear is that Sean Payton keeps taking pages from the Bellicek playbook.

On 4/28/2017 at 8:55 PM, The Football Guru said:

Kamara has among the best mix of balance, elusiveness, slipperiness and pass-catching abilities among backs in this class, while his explosiveness (4.56 speed, 39 1/2" vertical and 10'11" long jump) explains how he produced 23 touchdowns in only 284 touches at Tennessee. 

This was so correct. Only question in 2017 was if AK would get opportunity. He did