Sign in to follow this  
Magnificent Bastard

Best baseball players by posistion 70's and up

Player has to play majority of career post 1970 and majority of career at posistion. Leaves out Aaron, Gibson, Killibrew ect. Also, no obvious steroid users like Bonds and Clemens and A Rod

Here's mine:

1b - Pujols

2b - R. Alomar

SS - Jeter

3b - Schmidt

RF- T Gwynn

CF - K Griffey jr

LF - M Ramirez. (Ugh)

C - J Bench

DH - F Thomas

P- Seaver

P - Carlton

P - Pedro Martinez

P - R Johnson

P - N Ryan

Closer - The great Mariano Rivera

Close calls.- George Brett, Chipper Jones,Mike Piazza, Edgar Martinez, Cal Ripken, Joe Morgan, Eddie Murray, Ricky Henderson.Omar Vizquel, John Smoltz and Jack Morris. I'm sure I missed a few.

I've posted here before my defense that Ricky Henderson is the best baseball player ever. If you polled 1000 GMs at any level over any time who they would want leading off, 1000 would answer Ricky. He lived RMFF in the brain of every pitcher when he got on base.

I like your inclusion of Carlton; I've also argued that his 1972 season was the best by any pitcher in the history of baseball. I'd maybe put Maddox (not on your list) over Seaver though.

:cheers:

• Like 1

I've posted here before my defense that Ricky Henderson is the best baseball player ever. If you polled 1000 GMs at any level over any time who they would want leading off, 1000 would answer Ricky. He lived RMFF in the brain of every pitcher when he got on base.

I like your inclusion of Carlton; I've also argued that his 1972 season was the best by any pitcher in the history of baseball. I'd maybe put Maddox (not on your list) over Seaver though.

Maddox didn't go deep in to games enough for me. If rather have a guy like Morris or Smoltz. Seaver was the goods early to mid 70's and he was very good till late in his career. Ricky was so good, but Manny carried teams to the World Series. I guess I would have to find a place for M Cabrerra pretty soon.

ricky....you mean the guy that could either hit a lead off home run or turn a walk into a double or triple? one of the best ever.

i would also put bonds up there (pre-accusation years). even as a stick in pit, he was pushing home runs. only "flaw" was a B- arm...had to make up for it with playing excellent angles off the wall.... would have been amazing in the AL on a team like boston or NYY... short porches, more protection in the lineup, dh to prolong career.

ricky....you mean the guy that could either hit a lead off home run or turn a walk into a double or triple? one of the best ever.

i would also put bonds up there (pre-accusation years). even as a stick in pit, he was pushing home runs. only "flaw" was a B- arm...had to make up for it with playing excellent angles off the wall.... would have been amazing in the AL on a team like boston or NYY... short porches, more protection in the lineup, dh to prolong career.

When talking about Bonds it's something to say that he threw away his career by being the HR champ. He was as good as a player as anyone in the league before the roids. You're right, imagine he kept it clean and went to the AL. Would have been an all time great and probably have some rings. I guess he wanted immortality instead.

When talking about Bonds it's something to say that he threw away his career by being the HR champ. He was as good as a player as anyone in the league before the roids. You're right, imagine he kept it clean and went to the AL. Would have been an all time great and probably have some rings. I guess he wanted immortality instead.

At least you're not a complete focking moron. Bonds was the best player of his generation.

Tony Gwynn's death got my brother to give up dipping. God bless.But he's not the best RF of the past 45 years. If you're going to discount Bonds, fine. The massholes will try to make a case for Rice or Lynn.

But the most underrated, forgotten player is Larry Walker. Held onto 5 tools longer than anyone. If he was a Yankee or a Dodger, he'd be in the HOF. Overall, a superior player to Gwynn.

JK is right that Maddux belongs on the list. Beyond that, including Nolan Ryan is plain dumb. Orel Hershiser is on the list, bar none.

At least you're not a complete focking moron. Bonds was the best player of his generation.

Tony Gwynn's death got my brother to give up dipping. God bless.But he's not the best RF of the past 45 years. If you're going to discount Bonds, fine. The massholes will try to make a case for Rice or Lynn.

But the most underrated, forgotten player is Larry Walker. Held onto 5 tools longer than anyone. If he was a Yankee or a Dodger, he'd be in the HOF. Overall, a superior player to Gwynn.

JK is right that Maddux belongs on the list. Beyond that, including Nolan Ryan is plain dumb. Orel Hershiser is on the list, bar none.

First of all, it's a baseball thread, not politics. Simmer down. Larry Walker played most of his career in Colorado. You have to figure that in. F Lynn didn't play right field, and he is no where near Griffeys class. J Rice is one of many outfielders in the same boat, like Winfield, A Belle, J Carter. Really good, the guys I listed were just better. T Gywnn is the best hitter of his generation. This is not in dispute. J Rice has yet to get to the HOF. Besides, Reggie Jackson was better. Nolan Ryan dumb? What exactly is missing in his career? Not enough strike outs? He has the most. Wins- 300 club and he has a ring. Where does Orel top him?

Pedro Martinez was focking great!!!

Ken Griffey Jr. is the 2nd greatest baseball player ever.

Barry Bonds is the greatest baseball player ever. the end

Jim Abbott anyone?

Listened to his no hitter sept 93 on the radio. Just moved in to house didn't have cable yet. Punky Kenny Lofton tried to bunt his way on in the 9 th. Pretty good lineup he faced. A Belle, Lofton, Baerga, Thome and a young Manny Ramirez. I also heard D Raghettis no hit against the sox on the radio on july 4 1983. Went with my friend to visit his mom in the hospital in Ct. She was a cocktail waitress at the penthouse club and they didn't know what she had. Turns out it was AIDS.

Field

1B Rod Carew ......... back up (Eddie Murray)

2B Joe Morgan ....... back up (Ryne Sanberg)

SS Ozzie Smith ..... back up (Derek Jeter)

3B Mike Schmitt ...... back up (George Brett)

C Johnny Bench ...... back up (Carlton Fisk)

RF Pete Rose ...... back up (Reggie Jackson)

CF Ken Griffey Jr ...... back up (Kirby Puckett)

LF Barry Bonds ....... back up (Rickey Henderson)

4 man Pitching Rotation in order

Bob Gibson

Roger Clemens

Pedro Martinez

Randy Johnson

back ups ........ (Nolan Ryan and Steve Carlton)

Closer

Mariano Riveria .......... back up (Dennis Eckersley)

If going by 70's till now - THIS is the legit list of the best the rest are just opinons

Field

1B Rod Carew ......... back up (Eddie Murray)

2B Joe Morgan ....... back up (Ryne Sanberg)

SS Ozzie Smith ..... back up (Derek Jeter)

3B Mike Schmitt ...... back up (George Brett)

C Johnny Bench ...... back up (Carlton Fisk)

RF Pete Rose ...... back up (Reggie Jackson)

CF Ken Griffey Jr ...... back up (Kirby Puckett)

LF Barry Bonds ....... back up (Rickey Henderson)

4 man Pitching Rotation in order

Bob Gibson

Roger Clemens

Pedro Martinez

Randy Johnson

back ups ........ (Nolan Ryan and Steve Carlton)

Closer

Mariano Riveria .......... back up (Dennis Eckersley)

If going by 70's till now - THIS is the legit list of the best the rest are just opinons

Can't agree on Carew over Pujols and cant take Ozzie Smith. One dimensional and played his home games on AstroTurf and a lot of away games in it as well. I left off the obvious steroid users so Bonds and Clemens are out.

Manny isn't considered an obvious steroid user?

I know he was on the list that wasn't supposed to come out. But I never saw him bulk up like the others and he started to decline with age, unlike the others. Esp Bonds.

Can't agree on Carew over Pujols and cant take Ozzie Smith. One dimensional and played his home games on AstroTurf and a lot of away games in it as well. I left off the obvious steroid users so Bonds and Clemens are out.

Explain how Roger is an obvious Roid user when he NEVER failed a single test! The only proff is he said she said

I know he was on the list that wasn't supposed to come out. But I never saw him bulk up like the others and he started to decline with age, unlike the others. Esp Bonds.

Anyone that puts TG or Frank over Pete Rose loses all credibility

No Ozzie - r u fockign kidding me - guy is the best fielding infielder maybe ever ... :cry: he played on astro turf ... so fockign what

i have argued the same thing about randy Johnsons 2001 season as the best ever. He had a 13.4 k rate, 21 wins,372ks, A 2.49 era and was dominant like no one we have seen in those years.

Nolan Ryan dumb? What exactly is missing in his career? Not enough strike outs? He has the most. Wins- 300 club and he has a ring.

I was an enormous Nolan Ryan fan growing up, but I don't think he belongs on that list (though I wouldn't call you dumb over it). While he racked up a ton of strikeouts and was the most unhittable pitcher ever when he was on, he also had an absurd number of walks, and for those 324 wins he also had 292 losses.

Ryan - 324-292, 3.19 ERA, 5714 K, 2795 BB, 3 top-3 Cy Young finishes

Maddux - 355-227, 3.16 ERA, 3371 K, 999 BB, 4 Cy Young awards, 18 Gold Gloves

Maddux lead his league in ERA four times, Ryan twice.

i have argued the same thing about randy Johnsons 2001 season as the best ever. He had a 13.4 k rate, 21 wins,372ks, A 2.49 era and was dominant like no one we have seen in those years.

I would have to throw in a vote for Pedro Martinez in 2000.

18-6, 1.74 ERA, 284 K, 32 BB, .196 Opp BA, 11.7 WAR (if you are into that sort of thing)

How dominant was he? His ERA was just short of TWO RUNS BETTER than the next best AL pitcher (3.70).

Martinez - 1.74

Clemens - 3.70

Mussina - 3.79

Can you imagine what Randy's or Pedro's era would look like if they pitched from the mound height Gibson did in his historic season?

Will never get the recognition that Jeter did...but give me Robin Yount over him any day.

Numbers are similar...only Yount did it on the Brewers rather than with the loaded lineups of the Yankees.

And he rocked an awesome stache

I would put frank Thomas as the best first baseman. He switched to dh later because he could. But he played 971 games there so it's not like he had just a few starts.

That frees up a spot for the best Dh of all time. ED gar Martinez.

I would put frank Thomas as the best first baseman. He switched to dh later because he could. But he played 971 games there so it's not like he had just a few starts.

That frees up a spot for the best Dh of all time. ED gar Martinez.

I thought about going that way, but what do you do with Pujols then?

Will never get the recognition that Jeter did...but give me Robin Yount over him any day.

Numbers are similar...only Yount did it on the Brewers rather than with the loaded lineups of the Yankees.

And he rocked an awesome stache

If Yount was able to stay at short, he might have been the best SS ever. And the lineups Jerer was hitting in weren't so loaded until Giambi got there. Yankees had one 40+ HR player from 1996-20001.

Bonds in left is a lock... Sucks for Henderson as he would have been there, but Bonds has him beat... But you can't go wrong with either in LF...

Roberto Clemente played til his death in 72. If anyone wants to claim Gwynn was a better RF than Clemente, go ahead.

Player has to play majority of career post 1970 and majority of career at posistion.

Bonds in left is a lock... Sucks for Henderson as he would have been there, but Bonds has him beat... But you can't go wrong with either in LF...

No obvious Juicers to be included.

If Yount was able to stay at short, he might have been the best SS ever. And the lineups Jerer was hitting in weren't so loaded until Giambi got there. Yankees had one 40+ HR player from 1996-20001.

Compared to the lineups that Yount was in...Im not saying he was not on good teams. Molitor was always quality...but never the full on lineups like Jeter has had.

When did Bonds get caught?

According to a transcript of Bonds' Dec. 4, 2003, testimony reviewed by the Chronicle, prosecutors confronted the slugger with documents allegedly detailing the steroids he used -- "the cream," "the clear," human growth hormone, Depo-Testosterone, insulin and a drug for female infertility that can be used to mask steroid use...

Bonds said that, to his knowledge, Anderson had only given him legal drugs to treat his arthritis and fatigue, which were especially bad when the Giants would play a day game after a night game. He said the trainer brought the substances to the Giants' clubhouse, where Bonds would use them.

"It was in the ballpark ... in front of everybody," Bonds testified. "I mean, all the reporters, my teammates. I mean, they all saw it. I didn't hide it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1937594

But it is alright, he said they didn't work.

So would you say that he admitted it?

If so, then all should be forgiven...

Nah, he admitted that he used some stuff he was given, but continued to insist it wasn't actually steroids. Because everyone is going to believe that not only did he have no idea what substances the trainer was giving him, but that he was able to tell that those mystery substances weren't PEDs.

When did Bonds get caught?[/quote

And I guess OJ is innocent. He got caught when he needed a bigger batting helmet.

No way I put pre-roids Bonds anywhere near Ricky.

"Rickey doesn't put Bonds anywhere near Rickey either."

- Rickey Henderson

"Rickey doesn't put Bonds anywhere near Rickey either."

- Rickey Henderson

:lol: I love me some Rickey quotes. My favorite is the Olerud story, although apparently that never happened. Totally seems like him though. :D

He actually lives in my neighborhood; saw him on a bike once. I'd love to meet him just to see what it is like to talk to him. :thumbsup:

And I guess OJ is innocent. He got caught when he needed a bigger batting helmet.

You can and argue all you want to... Bonds is the best LF and there is nothing that you can say that will change my mind... He was a 3-time MVP before the supposed steroids and he finished his career with seven MVPs and numerous records... If he do steroids, he still would have reached great numbers, just not as high... Of course steroids don't help you hit the ball....

You can ###### and argue all you want to... Bonds is the best LF and there is nothing that you can say that will change my mind... He was a 3-time MVP before the supposed steroids and he finished his career with seven MVPs and numerous records... If he do steroids, he still would have reached great numbers, just not as high... Of course steroids don't help you hit the ball....

Silly, silly man