Sign in to follow this  
Baker Boy

Parents rip school after college field trip includes only black students

Dr. G. David Moss, the head of the African-American services at the South Bend Community Schools Corporation.

The guy works in the schools. So a school employee set up a segregated field trip.

Which seems to be perfectly in keeping with his job mission. Would you be pissed if the Special Education director set up a field trip for special ed kids?

Which seems to be perfectly in keeping with his job mission. Would you be pissed if the Special Education director set up a field trip for special ed kids?

Where would you like to go, Corky?

The road to hell... also RLLD is right; there is a hint of implied inferiority. "Hey black kids, you probably won't go to college because you are black, so let's show you some real live black students @$!"

Would have been better if they took all of the students, talked to college kids of different races, and showed that everyone can go to college if they try. :dunno:

Nope. Special ed kids come in all races and sexes.

They mostly come in old white and cranky round here. :lol:

Yes, and? They're still "segregated". Isn't that all that matters, since we're looking for reasons to be pissed off?

They mostly come in old white and cranky round here. :lol:

I'm surprised by some in here. Like you. I think you're a smart guy, outside you're slap fights lol. To me, this a clear case of segregation. How is it not? The school system separated people by race, then offered those individuals something that was not offered to others. That's wrong imo.

Yes, and? They're still "segregated". Isn't that all that matters, since we're looking for reasons to be pissed off?

Based on medical reasons and not race. That's an apples and oranges argument. If a special ed class offered a field trip to only special ed blacks, then you've got a complaint. I'm not pissed of, I just think it's wrong.

I'm surprised by some in here. Like you. I think you're a smart guy, outside you're slap fights lol. To me, this a clear case of segregation. How is it not? The school system separated people by race, then offered those individuals something that was not offered to others. That's wrong imo.

I think it's borderline. Public schools run all sorts of programs that arguably segregate against one group or another: male only sports teams, asian American clubs etc.

I'm not sure it's right but I do know the same members if this forearm are chronically on tilt about this stuff. Is this really the biggest injustice in your day to day life?

I think it's borderline. Public schools run all sorts of programs that arguably segregate against one group or another: male only sports teams, asian American clubs etc.

I'm not sure it's right but I do know the same members if this forearm are chronically on tilt about this stuff. Is this really the biggest injustice in your day to day life?

No it's not, but I don't think segregating kids at that age is a good thing, or at any age really. Clubs are different imo since all groups can set one up. It would be wrong to let an Italian American club exist, but not a African American club. Clubs are usually for heritage and history type things.they should let other groups in to learn about their heritage tho.

Based on medical reasons and not race. That's an apples and oranges argument. If a special ed class offered a field trip to only special ed blacks, then you've got a complaint. I'm not pissed of, I just think it's wrong.

The school district apparently feels that African American kids face unique challenges, to the point that they're burning budget to try and help remedy the situation. Not completely unlike Special Ed. I don't think I have enough info to say that's "wrong". Would it be great to offer this kind of exposure to all students? Sure it would. But I can also see the logic in offering it to the kids with the greatest need. Pragmatism over idealism,

Male only sport teams? what turnip have you been living under the past 10 years?

What sport can a female not at least try out for in a public school? (assuming there isn't a female version of that sport)

you're missing his point -

the guy put in charge of this group didn't do anything wrong, what's he supposed to do?

it's whomever decided to make up this group, only b/c it segregates.

and here's the thing - it doesn't bother me... you can make up whatever the fock group you want to and if it doesn't include me, I'm fine with it.

But the more "PC" the wold wants to get about all this stuff, the more they open up the worm-can for this type of push-back.

The school district apparently feels that African American kids face unique challenges, to the point that they're burning budget to try and help remedy the situation. Not completely unlike Special Ed. I don't think I have enough info to say that's "wrong". Would it be great to offer this kind of exposure to all students? Sure it would. But I can also see the logic in offering it to the kids with the greatest need. Pragmatism over idealism,

I understand the need, but all kids should be exposed to higher learning possibilities. All kids should be shown that college is attainable. I just don't see the need to separate them based on race or poverty or greatest need. All kids are impressionable at those ages, so more exposure for all seems best.

You're missing the point. It doesn't matter who paid for it. We know who set it up, the African American service. We know how it was set up, through the school. We know it was a blacks only field trip. So the school allowed a group to come in and set up a segregated field trip. This isn't about the "poor whites can't go", it's about allowing a segregated field trip that was set up using the school sytem. It doesn't get anymore simple then that. It's wrong, and I can guarantee you it would not be allowed by a white group.

We don't know "how it was set up".

You are assuming that unless you have read a different article on it...if so, please post it.

The only thing we know is that the head of African American services for this South Bend School Corporation (who calls its districts that? interesting on its own)...set up this trip. We don't know the funding...we don't know if it was funding earmarked for certain activities for black kids...we don't know much of anything)

We don't know what other trips are offered to other students...if any at all.

As I said early on...

I said it depends on how things were done...who did it all...and what all was offered.

I have zero problem with leaders taking black kids on a trip like this and being leaders to young men who need such leaders in their community. its something that has been severely lacking.

I have issues if it was totally school sponsored...I have issues if it was just all tax payer funded and nothing offered to the other students whatsoever.

I question whether 3rd grade is the time or if kids that age give a damn...but don't fault them for trying.

I would agree doing something for at risk kids is a smart way to do it...Im just not going to get all faux outraged and cry racism like some have.

The African American service is part of the school system. :doh:

How are they funded is the biggest question IMO (coming from a former auditor)

Who cares.

Old white guys who get tried of actual racism...so they can point out this and call it racism to whitey.

How are they funded is the biggest question IMO (coming from a former auditor)

Dr. G. David Moss, the head of the African-American services at the South Bend Community Schools Corporation.

I'd assume tax payers pay his salary since he works for the school district. I get it. It's ok to segregate by some, but not by all. As long as the school offers trips to all races at some point, then it makes certain segregation ok. It's absolutely mind boggling that some think organized segregation is ok.

I understand the need, but all kids should be exposed to higher learning possibilities. All kids should be shown that college is attainable. I just don't see the need to separate them based on race or poverty or greatest need. All kids are impressionable at those ages, so more exposure for all seems best.

I agree that would be "best", but I don't let "best" rule out "better". These kids are at a particularly high risk for falling out of the system and becoming a burden on all of society. If interceding at a younger age and trying to get them to envision bigger possibilities for their life might prevent that from happening, I can't work up much angst over it, even if it's not totally "fair".

I agree that would be "best", but I don't let "best" rule out "better". These kids are at a particularly high risk for falling out of the system and becoming a burden on all of society. If interceding at a younger age and trying to get them to envision bigger possibilities for their life might prevent that from happening, I can't work up much angst over it, even if it's not totally "fair".

So again, why not include all for the "better". I'm sure there are white, latino, asian kids that could've benefited from that trip.

So again, why not include all for the "better".

Allocation of resources and return on investment. Just because I may not have money for a new roof, doesn't mean I don't try to fix the leak. :dunno:

I'd assume tax payers pay his salary since he works for the school district. I get it. It's ok to segregate by some, but not by all. As long as the school offers trips to all races at some point, then it makes certain segregation ok. It's absolutely mind boggling that some think organized segregation is ok.

Paying his salary to do what? Things for black students. How is his salary actually funded and the trip...you realize some things like that are funded by grants and other programs right?

And as i said, they could have done this better...but im not going to get up in arms about something that was done to be a positive influence on young kids at risk.

Allocation of resources and return on investment. Just because I may not have money for a new roof, doesn't mean I don't try to fix the leak. :dunno:

I see it different. I see it as, this at risk group is different then that at risk group, so lets seperate and treat different. If it's a risk assessment, then assess all, not by race. I agree with the concept, but not the execution. So I'll just agree to disagree :thumbsup:

true equality has two sides of a ledger. Not only does it mean a person or a race is not discriminated against, it also means they aren't treated "special" either. That part of equality is often forgot about. Hopefully one day soon things like Affirmative Action, special programs like this for only certain races, etc. can be stopped / dropped. That is true equality.

Bigot

Honestly I have no problem with them taking young black kids only to the college to hear black college students speak to them about going to college. However, I do have a major problem with them not offering the same thing to the other kids of different races. If it were a bunch of white kids for a whites only field trip to the college you bet your ass the media would be all over it and Al Sharpton would be calling for their heads. The intent the school has is good but if it's not offered to the other races then yes it is wrong and a racist thing to do. Just my two cents.

Anyone who does not understand that it is discrimination not to offer this to all students is a Racist just like Nuffy.

What if this were only offered to White students?

What message does it send to the kids? That Black kids are better than others and get special treatment or that Black kids are inferior to others and they need special treatment. Either way it is a Racist message.

The U.S. government is the most Racist Organization in the country and it keeps the country divided.

Anyone who does not understand that it is discrimination not to offer this to all students is a Racist just like Nuffy.

What if this were only offered to White students?

What message does it send to the kids? That Black kids are better than others and get special treatment or that Black kids are inferior to others and they need special treatment. Either way it is a Racist message.

The U.S. government is the most Racist Organization in the country and it keeps the country divided.

Again...how was it racist?

And how is me saying I understand some dialect used by African Americans make me racist?

You make up bogus claims...then run away as always. Then you come back to throw out more crap hoping it will stick.

What message does it send to kids? That there is an African American services portion of that school system charged with being leaders for young black kids who need leaders in this country. It sends the message that they have typically not been going to college and people are getting word out to try and change that and make them want to go.

But you go cry racism to make yourself feel better and further point out that you have no clue what that word means. Now...go get on that WMD research...

1. This is the very definition of segregation.....fact.

2. It's also a comparable version of Separate but equal.

3. Since MLK was brought up earlier. These are things he fought so hard to get rid of, yet they are being used by African Americans. I truly believe MLK would be against this. Maybe I'm wrong, but he worked very hard to rid these things from happening.

4. That's all :thumbsup:

...another "black" thread.

you know you all are racist. i'm just reminding you in case you think you're not.

if you believe that this is reverse discrimination and that blacks have no right to do things separately than whites and that the only way this trip would be correct would be to invite all students or students that were economically disadvantaged, then i think we should begin eliminating race as a classification.

we shouldn't have it on ANY application whatsoever.

on college applications admission should be merit based only.

on jobs there should be no government hand in monitoring diversity.

we are all american, no race.

i would like to see that put in place.

especially since you guys feel there is no need to differentiate for past wrongs that are currently affecting a certain group of our society.

segregation and institutionalized racism is a thing of the past.

let us now all be one since you believe targeting any group for a supposed need is discrimination against the majority.

let's all be one one group; american.

you know you all are racist. i'm just reminding you in case you think you're not.

if you believe that this is reverse discrimination and that blacks have no right to do things separately than whites and that the only way this trip would be correct would be to invite all students or students that were economically disadvantaged, then i think we should begin eliminating race as a classification.

especially since you guys feel there is no need to differentiate for past wrongs that are currently affecting a certain group of our society.

let us now all be one since you believe targeting any group for a supposed need is discrimination against the majority.

Amen, sister. :cheers:

Well stated.

Even though a racist calling others racist is rather amusing.

I understand that a Department of African American services would want to focus exclusively on AA. But does it hurt to include all kids in this program? White kids could benefit too.....seeing that other races aren't so easily stereotyped. That blacks can be professionals and things other than what they see in their immediate environment.

I don't want my kid hanging around a bunch of black kids.

I've got a question: Did any white kids want to go on this trip and get rejected? Or is the outrage over the fact that the invite wasn't extended to them in the first place?

I can't tell from this article. For all I know if a white kid wanted to go the group would've said "sure."

Again...how was it racist?

That's a hard question to answer because when you were asked to tell us what you consider racism you were too big of a poosey to answer the question.

Maybe it's the "blacks only" aspect of the thing. Seems to me back in the day "whites only" drinking fountains, diners, etc....were considers racist. But you can't grasp the concept, so you will continue to defend this racism on the flimsy reasoning that blacks can't be racist.

A program like this is well intended. Just not in public schools. Everyone here knows a whites only field trip for the same reasons would not be allowed. Companies are asked to be more diverse if they are perceived as not diverse enough. Can Augusta National go back to an all white male "invitation only" private club? The Oscars get ripped seemingly every year for not having enough non white winners. Diversity is pushed upon anything that is deemed to white, yet others are allowed exclusionary groups or clubs. Why this double standard? Double standards on race cause division and resentment. Treat everyone equal and make all play by the same rules.

Sounds like you worked for a real sh1t company.

Really? Terminating people for poor performance is sh!tty, that paints and interesting picture of you.