Sign in to follow this  
50th anniversary: JFK blown away...

Tomorrow marks the 50th anniversary of the assassination of JFK...

His assassination definitely changed the way people received their news...

fake

How?

Seriously, admit it, you posted this a day early so you could be the first to report it...despite it happening BEFORE THE MOON LANDING!!! :lol:

Some excellent documentaries on JFK and the assassination on PBS the last few days. Worth watching :thumbsup:

Some excellent documentaries on JFK and the assassination on PBS the last few days. Worth watching :thumbsup:

Definitely...

Seriously, admit it, you posted this a day early so you could be the first to report it...despite it happening BEFORE THE MOON LANDING!!! :lol:

I'm actually surprised he didn't lead with "Official" in the title.

Newspaper to TV...

:lol: No, people were watching the nightly News back in those days. :lol: JFK had nothing to do with the switch, besides the changes actually occurred in this order. Newspaper - Radio - TV and that happened before JFK.

:lol: No, people were watching the nightly News back in those days. :lol: JFK had nothing to do with the switch, besides the changes actually occurred in this order. Newspaper - Radio - TV.

Have you watched any of the JFK documentaries?

One of them talked about how most people didn't get their news (or believe it) until they saw the printed word in their newspaper and not many people watched the news 50 years ago...

This event changed the medium...

Have you watched any of the JFK documentaries?

One of them talked about how most people didn't get their news (or believe it) until they saw the printed word in their newspaper and not many people watched the news 50 years ago...

This event changed the medium...

I don't need a documentary because I lived through it and that is a load of crap!

I don't need a documentary because I lived through it and that is a load of crap!

So how old were you in 1963 then?

Oh and congratulations...

So how old were you in 1963 then?

Oh and congratulations...

9th grade, we watched Walter Cronkite every night and before Cronkite took over it was Douglas Edwards. We got a daily Newspaper but that was more for local news.

ETA: We watched Oswald get murdered live on Sunday Morning.

Last time I was in Dallas I went to Dealey Plaza to check it out. If you've never been there, the window where Oswald shot from and the location where Kenedy was shot in the head is not that difficult of a shot. I always thought it was a long distance shot from the news reports.

If you ever get the chance, check it out.

What amazed me most from watching the two new films on PBS was how lax security was in Dealey plaza. I mean, the window Oswald shot from was open long before the motorcade passed beneath it. Can't understand why the secret service didn't have personnel on each floor in the building, or halt the motorcade when they saw the open window. :tinfoilhat:

I'm surprised he didn't post a picture of John Jr saluting his father at the funeral and saying he wishes it was him that was shot.

With the "whiff"...

I don't do that... Did a search and it returned two times that I have put "Official" in the subject line... In May 2006 and November 2009...

With the "whiff"...

I don't do that... Did a search and it returned two times that I have put "Official" in the subject line... In May 2006 and November 2009...

Ha, I actually believe you did take the time to do a search... I was being sarcastic - must of flew a little high.

Ha, I actually believe you did take the time to do a search... I was being sarcastic - must of flew a little high.

Just wanted to get a count because I know that I don't do that... And I know that some would do a search to see if I have (since I said I don't do that) and say, "yes you do, you did it blah blah blah"...

Just wanted to cut out the middle man...

Interesting take on how touchy-feely they were NOT in those days. Kennedy's coffin flew in the back of Air Force 1 while they swore in LBJ in the front. They used the same plane until the 90's. The limo was cleaned out and used for LBJ, Nixon and Ford. No waste of taxpayer's money. No memorials. No 2 presidents use the same limo anymore, regardless of what happens in them.

:lol: No, people were watching the nightly News back in those days. :lol: JFK had nothing to do with the switch, besides the changes actually occurred in this order. Newspaper - Radio - TV and that happened before JFK.

While the 50th anniversary of President John F. Kennedy's assassination has inspired much reflection and reexamination of his life, it also gave the TV industry an opportunity to pat itself on the back for how it informed the nation of his death. This year's Emmy Awards even included a tribute to coverage of Kennedy's assassination in it programming, with Don Cheadle calling it "the moment when the television generation came of age."

Though broadcast television news had already been doing some groundbreaking work before Nov. 22, 1963 – from World War II images of London rooftops ablaze to Edward Murrow's takedown of Sen. Joe McCarthy in the 1950s – Kennedy's assassination set a new standard for how breaking national news stories could be delivered on television, at a coverage level that would go unmatched until the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center in New York in 2001.

"It accelerated the learning curve and established the norms for how breaking news was going to be covered in the last half of the 20th century and into 21st century," says Robert Thompson, a professor of pop culture and television at Syracuse University.

It was only in September 1963 that networks expanded their nightly news programs from 15 minutes to half-hour long broadcasts. Two months later, CBS aired a special two-hourlong "CBS Evening News" on the Friday after the assassination, and an hourlong broadcast after JFK's funeral that Monday.

Not long after shots rang out in Dealey Plaza, CBS was the first to go live with the news at 12:40 p.m. CT, beating NBC by less than a minute, as recounted by John B. Mayo's 1967 book "Bulletin From Dallas: The President Is From Dead." The network was poised to break into "As The World Turns" to report that Kennedy had been seriously wounded by shots fired at his motorcade, but the CBS cameras were not ready when the first wire reports came in of the shooting. The initial news was read over an image of CBS News placard, making it essentially a radio bulletin. "It taught CBS a lesson: you always need to have a live working camera working in the newsroom," says Alastair Layzell, producer of the PBS documentary, "JFK: One PM Central Standard Time."

By 12:48 p.m. CT, .m. CBS's Walter Cronkite was on camera, followed soon after by NBC and ABC. Cronkite owned the story in part because CBS got out it out first. But getting it right was just as important to Cronkite, according to Douglas Brinkley's 2012 book "Cronkite," and thus he was reluctant to confirm that president was in fact dead, even as other networks and CBS's own correspondent at Parkland Hospital were reporting the shots had been fatal. Cronkite ultimately announced the news when he was passed a report from Dan Rather, the New Orleans bureau chief who had been on the ground in Dallas at the time. Cronkite took off his glasses to underscore the seriousness of the moment, creating an image that would stick in the minds of many viewers forever.

"Walter Cronkite was very good at creating perspective, so even though there was all the clamor to getting the official news out and confirmed by the White House, he was able to set it in context and that was able to give people comfort," Layzell says. Cronkite's coverage of the assassination would reach 23 countries and millions of Americans.

"Once people heard this had happened, they were glued to their televisions because this was definitely not something they had experienced in their lifetimes," says Tevi Troy author of "What Jefferson Read, Ike Watched and Obama Tweeted: 200 Years of Pop Culture in the White House." Within an hour of the shooting, 68 percent of Americans had heard the news; within two hours, 92 percent had heard, and half of them found out from TV or radio, according to a 1964 study in The Public Opinion Quarterly.

"TV easily eclipsed newspapers that weekend as the main source of information for people as to what was going on," Layzell says.

Not only did news of Kennedy's death reach Americans quickly via their TV screens, it stayed there for the days to come. "While we didn't see the assassination live, the television show about the assassination was a four-day long drama that played on national television," Thompson says. The infamous Zapruder film of the motorcade was not broadcast publicly until 1975, but the four days immediately after the shooting offered plenty of moments that became landmark television events. Cameras were waiting for Air Force One's 5:59 p.m. touchdown in Washington, D.C., with Kennedy's body and the newly sworn in President Lyndon Johnson on board, and they kept rolling throughout the weekend. The Big Three broadcast much of their assassination coverage without commercials. By Mayo's count, CBS clocked in with 55 total hours, ABC played 60 hours and NBC – airing an all-night vigil from the Capitol Rotunda on Sunday – broadcast 71 hours of coverage that weekend.

"When we came out the other end of that Monday, there had been a sense that the possibilities and capabilities of live TV news coverage had explored and the parameters had been established in ways that I don't think people knew they were capable of doing," Thompson says. Counting its radio and TV divisions, which were often working in conjunction anyway, CBS used 600 employees over the weekend, ABC 500 and NBC 400, and the total cost of the four-day broadcast on TV and radio has been estimated at $30 million to 35 million, according to Mayo, or more than $225 million today .

With many workplaces closed Friday afternoon once the news broke and Monday proclaimed a national day of mourning, Americans were a captive TV audience. According to Nielsen, 93 percent of U.S. homes watched ABC's, NBC's or CBS's coverage of the assassination – more than half of them for 13 or more straight hours.

When the White House hosted a reception for the viewing of Kennedy's body, viewers caught a glimpse of national and international dignitaries, including former Presidents Harry Truman and Dwight Eisenhower. While CBS and ABC aired the procession of Kenendy's body from the White House to the Capitol that Sunday, those watching NBC saw Jack Ruby shoot suspect Lee Harvey Oswald live on air as Oswald was being transferred to a more media-friendly facility. Ruby got close enough to shoot Oswald by sneaking in with the press scrum, and the ACLU accused the Dallas police of "capitulation to the glare of publicity," arguing that the decision to publicly move Oswald to a new facility at the behest of the media cost Oswald right to a fair trial as well as his life. It was also a nationally televised moment that rocked an already vulnerable nation.

"As that story unfolds the fact that there was yet another shocked assassination, yet another murder, gave you the sense by Sunday night that you couldn't quit watching TV because you didn't know what was going to happen," Thompson says. "This whole thing seemed to be spinning out of control."

The chaos of Oswald's shooting was followed up by the pomp and pageantry of Kennedy's funeral that Monday, with a procession that started at the Capitol and continued to St. Matthew's Cathedral and finally to Arlington Cemetery, culminating in the lighting of the eternal flame.

"The ritual of that funeral, which I think was very important for Americans to go through, and it was so communal, it was really breathtaking in how it was shot," Thompson says.

Monday evening marked the end of the assassinations broadcasting, a deluge of coverage the country would not see again until the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The TV industry has since seen great fragmentation, including the rise of cable news stations which often lead the charge on uninterrupted news coverage. Recently, the networks have broken in for coverage of major stories like the Boston Marathon bombing or the Newtown school shooting, but only for a few hours at a time. The television industry as greatly refined and expanded its abilities to deliver big and breaking stories, but with competition from the Internet and social media, it will unlikely ever again hold a nation's attention the way it did that November weekend in 1963.

I don't care what they say there had to be a second spitter.

All these dumb theories about the Mafia, the cia and the cubans when it was obviously Roger McDowell.

Today's the day Posty...HTH. :thumbsup:

I find it interesting that the last two presidents to be assassinated had Progressive VPs, Teddy Roosevelt and LBJ.

Of course the JFK assassination gave us "The Great Society".

I find it interesting that the last two presidents to be assassinated had Progressive VPs, Teddy Roosevelt and LBJ.

Of course the JFK assassination gave us "The Great Society".

I find it interesting that this is how you spend every day of your retirement. Your poor poor wife. :(

I find it interesting that this is how you spend every day of your retirement. Your poor poor wife. :(

I find it interesting that you spend the prime of your life doing this all day every day.

I find it interesting that you spend the prime of your life doing this all day every day.

I don't do it on weekends and rarely at night. I have an actual life to live outside of work. God, someone please shoot me if I spend every waking hour of my retirement surfing the net for political links and messageboarding all day. Wow, what a huge loser. Your wife is regretting her life choices as we speak.

who gives a fock?

The Kennedy's are one of the most despicable political families in US history.

Fock them

.....and Ducky hijacks another thread with his Phurfer mancrush.

Pathetic.

|

|

|

|

|

|

J

:banana:

:pointstosky:

Rable rable rable...Missing frames!...and something about a dictabelt....rable rable rable.

9th grade, we watched Walter Cronkite every night and before Cronkite took over it was Douglas Edwards. We got a daily Newspaper but that was more for local news.

ETA: We watched Oswald get murdered live on Sunday Morning.

Pipe down grandpa

Interested to see how much they release and how much they still keep a secret.