Sign in to follow this  
smashmouths@blf

What Job did u turn down and now you regret it?

Got offered a Marketing job with the Kansas City Royals about 10 years ago. I lived in a different state and didn't want to uproot my young family. Kids were all in school and had good friends and teachers. Wifey 34C had a good teaching job as well. I'm not sure if I regret the decision but I often wonder "what if". What about you guys?

I rarely get to the point of getting an offer without knowing emotionally that I want the job, so I can't think of any specific regrets. For those who remember my offer from the jeebus company last year, that was an exception, and turning that down was a great decision.

From an overall career perspective though... my biggest regret was not pursuing venture capital in the mid 90s. I got my MBA in '94 and thought about it, but I had just gotten married and we both had "good" careers going so I didn't want to upend us and move to the Bay Area. I ended up going into tech sales which made me a lot of money, but I could have made an obscene amount (maybe) if I had made that move.

It was between me and Ron Jeremy and well I was more modest back then.

I rarely get to the point of getting an offer without knowing emotionally that I want the job, so I can't think of any specific regrets.

Same here

I turned down an offer to test video games for microsoft.I did not want to move to redmond and it was only 12 bucks an hour which is the same as I was making as an IT recruiter. I think it would have been fun to do that all day but 12 an hour in washington state is not 12 an hour in michigan.

Could have gone to Japan for a 2-year stint early in my career. Was seriously thinking about it but eventually pussied-out and turned it down (too young and immature). got laid-off 6 months later. :doh:

As a Royals fan and fellow marketing geek the suckage this team has displayed in the last 10 years makes me regret you didn't take the job.Granted you wouldn't have made a difference on the team's play but their marketing has been sh!t as well

After Gulf War 1 they had some companies here that were hiring men to help in the cleanup of the oill wells in Iraq that Sadam tried to destroy. They pay was pretty good. Entry level workers with no experience were offered a hundred grand a year tax free. If you stayed two years you could triple that and were guranteed a career if you worked hard. I was halfway through the process when I learned there was no booze, no broads, no Swank, and no fun. I passed.

A couple of guys I went to school with did it though. One guy was a total salad. Total waste good brain cells. He stayed two and half years. Earned what they promised him. Sent him to school and got a degree in engineering. Rose up the ranks and is now a plant manager for a big oil company. Crazy fawking world.

After Gulf War 1 they had some companies here that were hiring men to help in the cleanup of the oill wells in Iraq that Sadam tried to destroy. They pay was pretty good. Entry level workers with no experience were offered a hundred grand a year tax free. If you stayed two years you could triple that and were guranteed a career if you worked hard. I was halfway through the process when I learned there was no booze, no broads, no Swank, and no fun. I passed.

A couple of guys I went to school with did it though. One guy was a total salad. Total waste good brain cells. He stayed two and half years. Earned what they promised him. Sent him to school and got a degree in engineering. Rose up the ranks and is now a plant manager for a big oil company. Crazy fawking world.

I knew a guy that did this and he said you basically clocked in when you left the states and you clocked out when you got back. His expenses were very low and he was able to retire very young.

I knew a guy that did this and he said you basically clocked in when you left the states and you clocked out when you got back. His expenses were very low and he was able to retire very young.

They paid those guys crazy money. I have a few friends that say that's the worst decision they made in their lives. Not going.

The marshal islands, automation tech, the grankids keep me here

Do they even have toilets there for you to unclog?

Now I know how to make Newbie disappear. Start a thread about jobs!

Newbie is all for "jobs", it is work that he is opposed to.

Do they even have toilets there for you to unclog?

moonbats are always the most unfunny lame focks on the planet

Keystone, Colorado

IT for Vail Resorts. :doh:

Oh that would have been nice.

I got talking to a client once....and i have a pretty good voice for radio if I as so inclined.....but he really wanted me for some baseball team in Ohio or Indiana (can't remember off the top) broadcasting their games.

Not a major job by any means....but I would have loved doing it.