Sign in to follow this  
joneo

HIPAA and the NFL

A question I have thought about for some time: How in the hell does the NFL get to announce players injuries and the status of the players injury with HIPPA in action? They shouldn't be able to force someone to disclose personal, medical information. :dunno:

A question I have thought about for some time: How in the hell does the NFL get to announce players injuries and the status of the players injury with HIPPA in action? They shouldn't be able to force someone to disclose personal, medical information. :dunno:

My guess there is language in every contract stating they allow the publishing of injury information.

My guess there is language in every contract stating they allow the publishing of injury information.

I would imagine it's part of the CBA.

Always thought Hippa was just a shortening of Hypocrite. Like Hypocratic oath, like an oath not to be a hypocrite, like you said you would keep their info private but didnt, so you were a hypocrite, something like that. Its not that?

I would imagine it's part of the CBA.

I agree it probably is but that seems to violate the spirit of HIPPA. For instance, you own a company and have a new emplyee sign away their HIPPA rights. Then you anounce to everyone in the company that the emplyee has a medical issue. You can't do that. It should be challengable in court wouldn't you think? :dunno:

Always thought Hippa was just a shortening of Hypocrite. Like Hypocratic oath, like an oath not to be a hypocrite, like you said you would keep their info private but didnt, so you were a hypocrite, something like that. Its not that?

In this case he's referring to HIPAA, not HIPPA, and it is a law that governs the use of your medical information.

They are high paid Slaves to the NFL

HIPAA needs to be seriously reworked. It's one of those laws that was never intended to be executed the way it often times is. In fact, most of the times that the hospital says oh we can't release blah blah blah? They're full of shiit. It's their corporate policy not to do so, but it's not actually pursuant to HIPAA. In fact, often times, they say that just so the nurses or whomever don't have to tell six different family members the same story.

I'm sure DoctorKnowsEveryFockingThingStein will be here soon to share his wisdom. Or, read from the experts.

On top of that, the shiit that you really wouldn't want released? They make you fill out all that paperwork specifically so that they can release that shiit.

In this case he's referring to HIPAA, not HIPPA, and it is a law that governs the use of your medical information.

My bad, thanks

I love when people talk about HIPAA and know nothing about it, including how it is abbreviated. :lol:

Dude, I guaren-focking-tee you I know as much about HIPAA as you. (except how to spell the acronym) :mad: :doh: :thumbsup:

Dude, I guaren-focking-tee you I know as much about HIPAA as you. (except how to spell the acronym) :mad: :doh: :thumbsup:

Really? You don't even know me and what I do. To guarantee something like that is probably not wise. Of course, based on your spelling, that seems commonplace. :lol:

Really? You don't even know me and what I do. To guarantee something like that is probably not wise. Of course, based on your spelling, that seems commonplace. :lol:

Given ny life experience, i feel ok about my statement. :cheers:

Given ny life experience, i feel ok about my statement. :cheers:

What about the fact that you did not know that HIPAA is not applicable to the NFL?

What about the fact that you did not know that HIPAA is not applicable to the NFL?

I questioned WHY it wasn't ya douche-nozzle.

I questioned WHY it wasn't ya douche-nozzle.

Because of how the law was written, dumbass.

Sort of why people who are stupid are not covered under the ADA. You are still dumb, but you arent covered under ADA. Got it?

Because of how the law was written, dumbass.

Sort of why people who are stupid are not covered under the ADA. You are still dumb, but you arent covered under ADA. Got it?

I understand it is written dumbass. Again, I question how they get away with it dumbass. Comprehend now??

I understand it is written dumbass. Again, I question how they get away with it dumbass. Comprehend now??

You are the one that is dumb. The law is applicable to health care providers and not employers. There is no "get away with it" for the NFL as they are an employer and not a health care provider. It was stated early on in the thread and you just are not following.

Get it??

When HIPPA came out, I was in the corporate world an we had to attend a series of training classes on it.

I recall having to keep separate HR files for each employees medical stuff

I also recall them saying we couldnt discuss medical stuff or even listen to an employee discuss their medical stuff unless we were their advocate?

Has all that changed?

When HIPPA came out, I was in the corporate world an we had to attend a series of training classes on it.

I recall having to keep separate HR files for each employees medical stuff

I also recall them saying we couldnt discuss medical stuff or even listen to an employee discuss their medical stuff unless we were their advocate?

Has all that changed?

When HIPAA came out (and obviously to this day), people were confused as to what it meant and how to comply. It hasn't really changed, though.

Unless your company is the health care provider or the clearinghouse for those transactions (i.e. you handle all claims with the hospitals, providers, etc.), then HIPAA is not applicable to you.

You are the one that is dumb. The law is applicable to health care providers and not employers. There is no "get away with it" for the NFL as they are an employer and not a health care provider. It was stated early on in the thread and you just are not following.

Get it??

Again, you're wrong. It does not just apply to healthcare providers. Get it?

Again, you're wrong. It does not just apply to healthcare providers. Get it?

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/privacy/laws-regulations/index.html

​...

Who is Covered by the Privacy Rule

The Privacy Rule, as well as all the Administrative Simplification rules, apply to health plans, health care clearinghouses, and to any health care provider who transmits health information in electronic form

The NFL and almost all employers do not meet the "covered entity" requirement for HIPAA.

Can you at least fix the title?

:doh:

I will. I can admit I made an error.

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/privacy/laws-regulations/index.html

The NFL and almost all employers do not meet the "covered entity" requirement for HIPAA.

I am required to adhere to HIPAA in law enforcement. Anyways, I hear what you're saying now. But it still makes me question how an employer can force you to sign over medical information just to get/keep the job.

Can my employer access my medical records without my consent?
A. Absolutely not. HIPAA prohibits employers from accessing patient records or insurance claims because it could result in discrimination. If an employer wants to see any of your medical information, the employer would need to receive your written permission.

I am required to adhere to HIPAA in law enforcement. Anyways, I hear what you're saying now. But it still makes me question how an employer can force you to sign over medical information just to get/keep the job.

Can my employer access my medical records without my consent?

A. Absolutely not. HIPAA prohibits employers from accessing patient records or insurance claims because it could result in discrimination. If an employer wants to see any of your medical information, the employer would need to receive your written permission.

Do you have a CBA where that is negotiated? The NFL does and the players agreed that some of their medical information is shared with the team and some can be shared with the public. Given the nature of their jobs, it is not unreasonable.

Do you have a CBA where that is negotiated? The NFL does and the players agreed that some of their medical information is shared with the team and some can be shared with the public. Given the nature of their jobs, it is not unreasonable.

Yes, I'm in a CBA. Seems odd to me that my government employer can force me to hand over medical documents or not get/keep a job. Obviously, a physical is needed to meet the minimum requirements, but from that point on, I don't have to allow them any medical information. :dunno:

I do understant what you're saying, that it is negotiated. I guess that's the answer I was looking for but I disagree with the idea of it being a negotiated item from an employee standpoint.

Yes, I'm in a CBA. Seems odd to me that my government employer can force me to hand over medical documents or not get/keep a job. Obviously, a physical is needed to meet the minimum requirements, but from that point on, I don't have to allow them any medical information. :dunno:

I do understant what you're saying, that it is negotiated. I guess that's the answer I was looking for but I disagree with the idea of it being a negotiated item from an employee standpoint.

The NFLPA negotiated with the NFL and their standard player contracts reflect those terms. One of the items is that teams have access to the medical records of their players and they can share some of that info with the public (e.g. injury report).

The NFLPA negotiated with the NFL and their standard player contracts reflect those terms. One of the items is that teams have access to the medical records of their players and they can share some of that info with the public (e.g. injury report).

Yeah....I get it now......but still disagree about even being able to negotiate an item like this. anyway, :cheers: