Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Seattle's $15 minimum wage may not have the effect they think

If they had just raised it $100, we'd all be millionaires and the government could do away with Social Security.

The libtards in DC, and here, have been telling us we need to raise the minimum wage to a "living wage". It is intended to support a family of 4. Can a family of 4 live in Seattle on $15/hr? I doubt it.

So, it's funny to me that libs on the bored are crying about getting what you have been crying about getting, even when it doesn't go far enough.

$15/hr is just stupid. Especially an immediate onset with no progressive hikes over time

You have to factor in that $15 in Seattle has lower purchasing price than it does in most of the country.

I run a restraunt in Tennessee. My good servers make around $15 an hour.

And the highest wage rung for cooks is $14 pet hour.

Btw, my payroll (not including management Payroll) is usually between 18-22%

You have to factor in that $15 in Seattle has lower purchasing price than it does in most of the country.

I run a restraunt in Tennessee. My good servers make around $15 an hour.

And the highest wage rung for cooks is $14 pet hour.

Btw, my payroll (not including management Payroll) is usually between 18-22%

NICE. About how much a week in sales, if you do not mind saying???

What effect do they think they're getting?

A few things. First and foremost, Seattle voted this law upon themselves. They know damn well some places will be forced out of business due to inability to cover the costs.

Regarding Worms claim $15 is stupid, I would counter that most of you have no clue as to the economy and politics of the locale (admittedly, even I really don't). There are a lot of expensive cities represented here - Denver, Minneapolis, Chicago, to a lesser extent KC and Dallas (land is a bit cheaper). I've dealt with hundreds, if not thousands of Seattle folks, and there is a very large base of wealthy people. These are the folks that put competing $6 coffee stands on every corner.

They're also very conscious of their surroundings and effect, thereupon. Most people don't realize that Seattle is VERY dry between June and Sept (like a lot of the rest of the country). But it's basically frowned upon to water your lawn during the dry months.

There's not going to be some domino effect of cities following suit. Maybe San Fran, Manhattan, and a few places in Silicon Valley that know any business worth it's salt can afford it. Other left-leaning cities will start lower, and rightfully so.

The libtards in DC, and here, have been telling us we need to raise the minimum wage to a "living wage". It is intended to support a family of 4. Can a family of 4 live in Seattle on $15/hr? I doubt it.

Last time I checked, minimum wage was never intended to be a wage to support a family on, for focks sake.

Minimum wage is what one earns either going through high school or college holding a part time job to help with your beer fund or help pay for textbooks.

Aren't we supposed to strive for more? :wall:

Last time I checked, minimum wage was never intended to be a wage to support a family on, for focks sake.

Minimum wage is what one earns either going through high school or college holding a part time job to help with your beer fund or help pay for textbooks.

Ok. Who operates every restraunt and retail establishment in America while the high school kids are in school?

I don't know why we think as a society that sitting in a cubicle answering a phone or entering data is a "grown up job" that deserves a living wage, but cooking and serving your food isn't.

Work is work. If the price at the restraunt becomes too high for you, feel free to cook it your Damn self at home.

Ok. Who operates every restraunt and retail establishment in America while the high school kids are in school?

I don't know why we think as a society that sitting in a cubicle answering a phone or entering data is a "grown up job" that deserves a living wage, but cooking and serving your food isn't.

Work is work. If the price at the restraunt becomes too high for you, feel free to cook it your Damn self at home.

Me thinks you are missing my point. :(

NICE. About how much a week in sales, if you do not mind saying???

Right now, daily average is around $3200 (that is net of sales tax).

So around $22k a week. I know we did $87k last month (again net sales tax).

From that...

30% goes to food

20% to hourly Payroll

2% operating (supplies, laundry, lawn care, etc.)

Then you have management Payroll, which pays me, and my bosses all the way up the chain (of course, they are being paid from multiple stores).

And of course, utilities, rent or mortgage, taxes, insurance, maintenance, new equipment cost. Etc.

So yes, the profit margin in the restraunt business is very small.

From that...

30% goes to food

20% to hourly Payroll

Then you have management Payroll, which pays me, and my bosses all the way up the chain (of course, they are being paid from multiple stores).

And of course, utilities, rent or mortgage, taxes, insurance, maintenance, new equipment cost. Etc.

And knowing what you know, what is the first thing to go when that profit margin disappears.

From that...

30% goes to food

20% to hourly Payroll

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And knowing what you know, what is the first thing to go when that profit margin disappears.

I hear you.

I'm just saying, $15 an hour isn't that much, especially in a place like Seattle.

One, the business isn't actually paying the servers $15 per. They get a tio credit. So as long as the server makes $15 an hour including tips, the employer is just paying $2.13 an hour anyway.

And for cooks... Like I said, that is not much. In fact, I wager any restraunt worth a crap that wanted decent employees in Seattle was paying that anyway.

I hear you.

I'm just saying, $15 an hour isn't that much, especially in a place like Seattle.

One, the business isn't actually paying the servers $15 per. They get a tio credit. So as long as the server makes $15 an hour including tips, the employer is just paying $2.13 an hour anyway.

And for cooks... Like I said, that is not much. In fact, I wager any restraunt worth a crap that wanted decent employees in Seattle was paying that anyway.

Not in Washington. Minimum wage applies to servers even if they get tips. So at least $9.50 but more likely the full $15.00. Unless you got something that says otherwise?

Not in Washington. Minimum wage applies to servers even if they get tips. So at least $9.50 but more likely the full $15.00. Unless you got something that says otherwise?

No, I want aware of that. I stabs corrected on that point.

I see a lot of restraunts going self service then.

No, I want aware of that. I stabs corrected on that point.

I see a lot of restraunts going self service then.

What they're saying may happen is restaurants will raise prices but prohibit or discourage tipping.

• Like 1

Exactly. They are entry level jobs for pimply faced kids. If you are flipping Big Macs for Titans you shouldn't be married with two kids.

What they're saying may happen is restaurants will raise prices but prohibit or discourage tipping.

Actually tipping will be strongly encouraged but will be prohibited from occurring straight to the server. Tips count in the $15, but the $15 has to be accounted for by the employer. In other words, the employer will split the tips to make sure all staff achieves $15 an hour.

Actually tipping will be strongly encouraged but will be prohibited from occurring straight to the server. Tips count in the $15, but the $15 has to be accounted for by the employer. In other words, the employer will split the tips to make sure all staff achieves $15 an hour.

And raise prices? :doh:

Exactly. They are entry level jobs for pimply faced kids. If you are flipping Big Macs for Titans you shouldn't be married with two kids.

Sure. Cause pimply faced high school kids can keep every food service establishment and retail establishment in America open during the day, while they are in school.

And I'm sure it's no problem finding pimply faced high school kids to pull third shift at mcdonalds and taco bell.

Bottom line... This is an example of the American consumer wanting products cheaper than they can be reasonably provided. Hell, the crap is made by teenage slaves in Asia, let's not pay the guy who cooks it for you a living wage either.

Of and btw... I would be willing to bet, just based on what I've seen in my own staff over the years, that well north of half of adult restraunt employees are on some kind of public assistance, be it food stamps, government provided health care, or whatever. Not to mention the massive tax refund they get every year.

So maybe we should make the customer and employer pick up the tab instead of the American taxpayer?

Good luck with that $20 Happy Meal, Titans.

If the market won't support the cost of producing an item, including reasonable labor cost, that business should go out of business.

As I said, many restraunts already pay this much, and survive just fine.

Here is another thought on the matter...

How bout we get rid of overtime premium?

I have many employees who would love to work more hours, but aren't allowed, as the company doesn't want to pay overtime.

If the market won't support the cost of producing an item, including reasonable labor cost, that business should go out of business.

As I said, many restraunts already pay this much, and survive just fine.

Here is another thought on the matter...

How bout we get rid of overtime premium?

I have many employees who would love to work more hours, but aren't allowed, as the company doesn't want to pay overtime.

Because then your company makes everyone work 60-70 hours a week so they can cut down on training, employee overlap, etc.

Because then your company makes everyone work 60-70 hours a week so they can cut down on training, employee overlap, etc.

I agree with that. There needs to be done mechanism by which those who want to work more can, and those who don't don't have to.

I'm not real sure how to do that though.

Except nobody counts cash tips.

They will now, right up to the point that everyone in the joint gets their $15 an hour, then I don't know. If they are like most restaurants the owner will pocket the difference.

Ultimately it hurts servers more than owners. Make less, declare more.

They will now, right up to the point that everyone in the joint gets their $15 an hour, then I don't know. If they are like most restaurants the owner will pocket the difference.

Ultimately it hurts servers more than owners. Make less, declare more.

Servers will lie about cash tips to avoid having to split them.

Servers will lie about cash tips to avoid having to split them.

Yes, but only if they get them before the restaurant does. My point is at least some, probably most, restaurants will change the tip policy to one where patrons do not leave cash with their servers.

If I'm aware that my server is making $15/hour there's no way in hell I'm leaving a tip. Why would I? That's an adequate wage for getting me food. The tip is no longer necessary.

If I'm aware that my server is making $15/hour there's no way in hell I'm leaving a tip. Why would I? That's an adequate wage for getting me food. The tip is no longer necessary.

:thumbsup:

Full time fast food worker would make over $31,000 a year. For that kind of money, they better not be focking up my order every focking time I stop in.

:thumbsup:

Full time fast food worker would make over $31,000 a year. For that kind of money, they better not be focking up my order every focking time I stop in.

Or what? I would assume if they made 7.50 an hour and messed up your order every time the result would be the same.

Or what? I would assume if they made 7.50 an hour and messed up your order every time the result would be the same.

Unlike union workers, people expect quality work for quality pay. HTH

Ya stupid fock. :wave:

Ya stupid fock. :wave:[/

Well, the Vikings are in a union. I guess that explains it. Wait, so are the Giants. 41-0, remember that? Good times.

That's funny. Don't the gints draft ahead of the vikes this year? :lol:

Ya stupid fock. :wave:[/

Well, the Vikings are in a union. I guess that explains it. Wait, so are the Giants. 41-0, remember that? Good times.

You kinda suck with the quote function here :(

Seattles $15 minimum wage law is supposed to lift workers out of poverty and move them off public assistance. But there may be a hitch in the plan.

Evidence is surfacing that some workers are asking their bosses for fewer hours as their wages rise in a bid to keep overall income down so they dont lose public subsidies for things like food, child care and rent.

Full Life Care, a home nursing nonprofit, told KIRO-TV in Seattle that several workers want to work less.

If they cut down their hours to stay on those subsidies because the $15 per hour minimum wage didnt actually help get them out of poverty, all youve done is put a burden on the business and given false hope to a lot of people, said Jason Rantz, host of the Jason Rantz show on 97.3 KIRO-FM.

The twist is just one apparent side effect of the controversial -- yet trendsetting -- minimum wage law in Seattle, which is being copied in several other cities despite concerns over prices rising and businesses struggling to keep up.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/22/seattle-sees-fallout-from-15-minimum-wage-as-other-cities-follow-suit/

There are many factors all working together and it will be interesting to see how things sort out. I have always lived in a big city and restaurants come and go continuously. Other factors that may offset the wage increase. More money in the hands of minimum wage workers who are more likely to spend that money locally. Rents may possibly lower if restaurants close down and are not soon replaced by a new tenant. You need to give it a couple of years to sort itself out but it's a good social experiment. Maybe restaurants will start prohibiting tipping making the price increase in the food more palatable ( pun intended).

I forgot about this. Thanks for bumping the thread.