Sign in to follow this  
WhiteWonder

** Official NBA Thread 2017-18 **

Ummm. The wolves were a perennial playoff team when Garnett was there. Poor GM and ownership decisions cost them draft picks in the form of penalties. Despite that, they made a western conference finals.

Between then and the last 2 years they were bad. They thought Kevin Love was the answer but he was not. However, currently they have 3 young and talented players, 2 of which have not reached their full potential and they have a great coach in place. They have executed "the process" in a far quicker and more efficient fashion than Philly and based on coaching and an established guy like Jimmy Butler, they are in a much better situation.

In today's NBA landscape, there's nothing wrong with being excited about hope and potential. It's either that or you have to convert to a fan of one out of 4 or 5 teams.... that's what happens when players get together and create super teams.

You have Sixers Tourette's. :shocking:

Ummm. The wolves were a perennial playoff team when Garnett was there. Poor GM and ownership decisions cost them draft picks in the form of penalties. Despite that, they made a western conference finals.

Between then and the last 2 years they were bad. They thought Kevin Love was the answer but he was not. However, currently they have 3 young and talented players, 2 of which have not reached their full potential and they have a great coach in place. They have executed "the process" in a far quicker and more efficient fashion than Philly and based on coaching and an established guy like Jimmy Butler, they are in a much better situation.

In today's NBA landscape, there's nothing wrong with being excited about hope and potential. It's either that or you have to convert to a fan of one out of 4 or 5 teams.... that's what happens when players get together and create super teams.

Yeah I was a KG fan dude. That was 12-15 years ago. Since, they have accumulated talent and are always the team that is supposedly on the rise. They have been the 76ers for the past 10 years.

I used to love the NBA as a kid. And not saying today's NBA is bad and the "glory days" this and that. It was probably the same. But just feels like half the league changes teams, you still get the same top 3 teams. And teams who pick at the top generally pick at the top for 5-10 years, "acquiring talent" that ends up being a bunch of young guys who don't know how to play the game yet, until they eventually all leave.

Hard for me to keep up with the NBA or even be interested in regular season games anymore. Just was wondering how you and MDC year after year can get into it with bad franchises. I guess the Nets don't qualify like the 76ers. Seems to have a different dynamic than football. The draft, progression, change in coaching all seem to be more important in the NFL and allows bad franchises to have hope.

Yeah I was a KG fan dude. That was 12-15 years ago. Since, they have accumulated talent and are always the team that is supposedly on the rise. They have been the 76ers for the past 10 years.

I used to love the NBA as a kid. And not saying today's NBA is bad and the "glory days" this and that. It was probably the same. But just feels like half the league changes teams, you still get the same top 3 teams. And teams who pick at the top generally pick at the top for 5-10 years, "acquiring talent" that ends up being a bunch of young guys who don't know how to play the game yet, until they eventually all leave.

Hard for me to keep up with the NBA or even be interested in regular season games anymore. Just was wondering how you and MDC year after year can get into it with bad franchises. I guess the Nets don't qualify like the 76ers. Seems to have a different dynamic than football. The draft, progression, change in coaching all seem to be more important in the NFL and allows bad franchises to have hope.

i mean, I dont disagree with anything you said regarding football. Also, I was always a KG fan first so I was a T-Wolves fan first, Celtics fan first and Nets fan 2nd. The Nets were/are my hometown team and now that KG is retired, Im full time Nets fan. Had some really fun times with those Jason Kidd - Kenyon Martin - Richard Jefferson playoff teams.

Also KG left minny, 11 years ago. What I was saying is that they were playoff contenders while he was there. Then they went through a spell where I dont think they were rebuilding correctly (Rubio, Love) but I dont remember anyone being terribly excited about their prospects..... and now the last 2-3 seasons they have made much better moves. Trading for Wiggins, drafting KAT, bringing in Tibbs to coach whch helped them sign Jimmy Butler.

And I hear what you're saying and agree. In todays NBA, Unless you are one of the 5-6 "HAVE's" then you're just getting excited about talent and potential until they leave. My question was that would you have fans of those teams do? Stop watching basketball? Banwagon onto the Warriors or Cavs? It is what it is.

Um, why does that dude the 76'ers traded up for in the draft shoot a free throw like Charles Barkley hits a golf ball...

:lol:

Wtf?

i mean, I dont disagree with anything you said regarding football. Also, I was always a KG fan first so I was a T-Wolves fan first, Celtics fan first and Nets fan 2nd. The Nets were/are my hometown team and now that KG is retired, Im full time Nets fan. Had some really fun times with those Jason Kidd - Kenyon Martin - Richard Jefferson playoff teams.

Also KG left minny, 11 years ago. What I was saying is that they were playoff contenders while he was there. Then they went through a spell where I dont think they were rebuilding correctly (Rubio, Love) but I dont remember anyone being terribly excited about their prospects..... and now the last 2-3 seasons they have made much better moves. Trading for Wiggins, drafting KAT, bringing in Tibbs to coach whch helped them sign Jimmy Butler.

And I hear what you're saying and agree. In todays NBA, Unless you are one of the 5-6 "HAVE's" then you're just getting excited about talent and potential until they leave. My question was that would you have fans of those teams do? Stop watching basketball? Banwagon onto the Warriors or Cavs? It is what it is.

I grew up playing tons of basketball. For the love of the game Id rather watch college since that is at least in the same world as the game I played growing up.

Fans of NBA? Meh not saying cant be a fan. Just that is seems real hard to keep up on 82 game regular seasons as is. Would be almost impossible to follow a bad franchise going through a 7 year rebuild in the NBA. It is how I and many feel about the Sabres. Hockey games are fun. But at what point does it just seem pointless? Buffalo tanked a few years ago to get Jack missing out on McDavid. Now coming out of it they are supposed to be reaping some wins. They are not. Seems impossible to get excited about their prospects. Especially when there is a game every other night and it is complete mediocrity. Hockey to me at least seems to have surprise teams each year. So there is that.

Dennis Smith Jr. is a fearless badass... Will be ROY.

Hes a local kid. Reminds me of Stephon Marbury. Straight baller.

Athletic freak with point guard skills. Nice combo.

Very strong rookie crop. Probably 4-5 guys will have ROY numbers.

Kristaps Porzingis is having a great year including 35 points and 7 rebounds and 6 blocks so far tonight and the game's not over. Averaging 29 ppg http://www.nba.com/players/kristaps/porzingis/204001

Also, James Harden has 56 points and 13 assists right now so far tonight.

Wish I had all the NBA games but probably not going to pay for that.

Ben Simmons is pretty much Magic Johnson. He will be an All Star for the next 10 years. If Embiid can stay healthy and Fultz ever manages to get right watch out.

Ben Simmons is pretty much Magic Johnson. He will be an All Star for the next 10 years. If Embiid can stay healthy and Fultz ever manages to get right watch out.

Yea I should have mentioned Simmons and Embiid. I have their Rookie cards and prices are doing good, especially Simmons' RC.

Yea I should have mentioned Simmons and Embiid. I have their Rookie cards and prices are doing good, especially Simmons' RC.

Not a big card guy so maybe you can give me a little eduction. When you say prices are doing good, what does this mean. I thought sports cards market these days was so saturated that it has to be like a rookie autographed 1 of 50 type card to be worth anything... in which case how much did you pay for it or did you buy packs of cards?

I know an older guy who makes a killing speculating on players cards and selling when these guys start doing well but it never made much sense to me. Wouldn't people who care about paper cards have done the same thing and wouldn't there be so many copies of a generic rookie card?

Mavs season is going great - seriously, I'm thrilled as hell.

* Dennis Smith, Jr. getting lots of playing time, learning.

* Team is still trying, going hard.

* Team is losing left and right, top draft pick in our sites.

:thumbsup:

Mavs season is going great - seriously, I'm thrilled as hell.

* Dennis Smith, Jr. getting lots of playing time, learning.

* Team is still trying, going hard.

* Team is losing left and right, top draft pick in our sites.

:thumbsup:

Hows Nerlens for you guys? I understand why he had to go, but I miss him.

Hows Nerlens for you guys? I understand why he had to go, but I miss him.

He's okay - athletic and long.. But he simply isn't' much of a rim protector or rebounder... Dallas is 28th in team rebounding - you just can't win that way.

He's okay - athletic and long.. But he simply isn't' much of a rim protector or rebounder... Dallas is 28th in team rebounding - you just can't win that way.

He was never much of a rebounder but Noel was an excellent shot blocker here. Hes limited to tips and dunks on O but at least hes not a chucker and plays within himself.

Celtics on a bit of a streak. Won 8 in row. They are getting some good development out of Brown and Tatum with Hayward out.

1st team ever to start 0 - 2 and win next 7.

8 now

Beating Westbrook and co on the road. Impressive

8 now

The OKC game was ugly in the first half. I did not think that they would come storming back in the 2nd half. Big win for them.

Lakers Celtics resume their rivalry Wed nite. May be time to finally get payback for the cheap clothesline shot McHale took on Rambis back in '84.

:wave:

He was never much of a rebounder but Noel was an excellent shot blocker here. Hes limited to tips and dunks on O but at least hes not a chucker and plays within himself.

I think he's still a little upset he didn't get a big deal this offseason... He has shown flashes of greatness with Smith, Jr. - but he needs help along side to get those boards... I hope we can keep him - he's a good kid.

Lakers Celtics resume their rivalry Wed nite. May be time to finally get payback for the cheap clothesline shot McHale took on Rambis back in '84.

:wave:

Rivalry.. Nagger please

8 now

wait, after game 2 you said they suck

So glad to see Oladipo get away from Westbrook. Pacers won't be very good but, Oladipo has never been a catch and shoot guy and that is the the way they tried to use him in OKC.

He's a great player and I didn't like to see him be the scapegoat for OKC.

Rivalry.. Nagger please

True. Celtics have been barely relevant since about that same time frame.

Looks like Danny knew what he was doing when he suckered the Sixers into Fultz

That dude has big time issues, it's not good. Hopefully he figures it out but, and I may be wrong long term, I never believed he was a top tier guy.

The Wolves are slowly starting to play together. Teague is finally playing like they expected him to, Towns is learning to play defense, and Wiggins is finally trying.

The offseason move I absolutely loved was signing Crawford. They struggled mightily last year when the backups came in. I believe they led the league in double-digit leads lost. He is going to provide enough offense to stop that from happening.

Celtics on a bit of a streak. Won 8 in row. They are getting some good development out of Brown and Tatum with Hayward out.

Love the depth on their team... So much better than last year with Theis, Yabusele, Ojeleye, Morris...Finally have size and athleticism on their bench..

Irving is also a much better player than i realized. Knew about the scoring, but his playmaking is excellent.

Looks like Danny knew what he was doing when he suckered the Sixers into Fultz

Yeah hes done.

Not a big card guy so maybe you can give me a little eduction. When you say prices are doing good, what does this mean. I thought sports cards market these days was so saturated that it has to be like a rookie autographed 1 of 50 type card to be worth anything... in which case how much did you pay for it or did you buy packs of cards?

I know an older guy who makes a killing speculating on players cards and selling when these guys start doing well but it never made much sense to me. Wouldn't people who care about paper cards have done the same thing and wouldn't there be so many copies of a generic rookie card?

Panini Prizm Silver Ben Simmons RC it's not numbered but is parallel: This card has gone up in price from $300 to $1,000 - $2,000 since the season started a couple weeks ago: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=panini+prizm+silver+1+ben+simmons+-starburst&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xpanini+prizm+silver+1+ben+simmons+-starburst+-optic.TRS0&_nkw=panini+prizm+silver+1+ben+simmons+-starburst+-optic&_sacat=0

I got the Ruby version which is rarer but didn't go up near as much: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=panini+prizm+silver+1+ben+simmons+-starburst+-optic&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xpanini+prizm+ruby+1+ben+simmons+-starburst+-optic.TRS0&_nkw=panini+prizm+ruby+1+ben+simmons+-starburst+-optic&_sacat=0

Key basketball RC cards can really increase in value and ebay sales substantially when they're having a great season. I have a Giannis Antetokounmpo Prizm Autograph RC and it's way up from what I paid for it two years ago: I paid about $50 I think and it's now selling for $400+ https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=panini+prizm+ruby+1+ben+simmons+-starburst+-optic&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H1.Xgiannis+antetokounmpo+prizm+auto.TRS0&_nkw=giannis+antetokounmpo+prizm+auto&_sacat=0

This has been happening for a few years already. I paid $30 for a Topps Chrome Steph Curry #d of 999 RC BGS 9.5 and it's worth $1,000 now and has been since he became one of the top players in the league.

Panini Prizm Silver Ben Simmons RC it's not numbered but is parallel: This card has gone up in price from $300 to $1,000 - $2,000 since the season started a couple weeks ago: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=panini+prizm+silver+1+ben+simmons+-starburst&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xpanini+prizm+silver+1+ben+simmons+-starburst+-optic.TRS0&_nkw=panini+prizm+silver+1+ben+simmons+-starburst+-optic&_sacat=0

I got the Ruby version which is rarer but didn't go up near as much: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=panini+prizm+silver+1+ben+simmons+-starburst+-optic&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xpanini+prizm+ruby+1+ben+simmons+-starburst+-optic.TRS0&_nkw=panini+prizm+ruby+1+ben+simmons+-starburst+-optic&_sacat=0

Key basketball RC cards can really increase in value and ebay sales substantially when they're having a great season. I have a Giannis Antetokounmpo Prizm Autograph RC and it's way up from what I paid for it two years ago: I paid about $50 I think and it's now selling for $400+ https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=panini+prizm+ruby+1+ben+simmons+-starburst+-optic&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H1.Xgiannis+antetokounmpo+prizm+auto.TRS0&_nkw=giannis+antetokounmpo+prizm+auto&_sacat=0

This has been happening for a few years already. I paid $30 for a Topps Chrome Steph Curry #d of 999 RC BGS 9.5 and it's worth $1,000 now and has been since he became one of the top players in the league.

okay so like i suspected they are "unique" rookie cards not just generic. Prizm Silver, Prizm Autographed....

did you buy them off ebay before they became big time players as an investment/gamble? (thats what the guy I know does)

Do they need to be officially graded? or do you just buy a normal card and turn around and sell it as a normal card?

I'll be honest since I enjoy all things sports and investing/gambling, I do have interest in flipping cards like this. I just need a little more info on what to look for when buying.

for example these are rookie cards. Panini but seem to be dime a dozen, worthless

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Panini-Hoops-Rookie-Singles-PICK-CHOOSE-rc-basketball-18-nba-draft/152766955970?hash=item23919ec1c2:m:m1erojXFtVQTSKJn9nrCCUA

okay so like i suspected they are "unique" rookie cards not just generic. Prizm Silver, Prizm Autographed....

did you buy them off ebay before they became big time players as an investment/gamble? (thats what the guy I know does)

Do they need to be officially graded? or do you just buy a normal card and turn around and sell it as a normal card?

I'll be honest since I enjoy all things sports and investing/gambling, I do have interest in flipping cards like this. I just need a little more info on what to look for when buying.

for example these are rookie cards. Panini but seem to be dime a dozen, worthless

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Panini-Hoops-Rookie-Singles-PICK-CHOOSE-rc-basketball-18-nba-draft/152766955970?hash=item23919ec1c2:m:m1erojXFtVQTSKJn9nrCCUA

I stay away from cheap junk and I stay away from ultra high end stuff. I usually always get a parallel autograph RC card, but Ben Simmons signed some deal with some company that doesn't have an NBA official license for cards so Simmons doesn't have any autograph cards. I just buy the card off of ebay. I know what I want ahead of time and then watch ebay for that card at the right price. I try to get graded but it doesn't matter as long as you get a card in mint condition and they almost all are these days. I'm not flipping though, just getting one key card to add to my collection. If you just spot talent and get the best players even if some don't pan out a couple years later the players that due become stars go up in value. Especially in basketball. I don't do as well in football because the market just doesn't do as well. I mean some cards go up like I bought a Wentz RC Auto #/25 for $400 and I saw one sell for $600 recently. Baseball go up and down quite a bit but you have to know the top prospects and get their cards way before they enter the MLB.

I stay away from cheap junk and I stay away from ultra high end stuff. I usually always get a parallel autograph RC card, but Ben Simmons signed some deal with some company that doesn't have an NBA official license for cards so Simmons doesn't have any autograph cards. I just buy the card off of ebay. I know what I want ahead of time and then watch ebay for that card at the right price. I try to get graded but it doesn't matter as long as you get a card in mint condition and they almost all are these days. I'm not flipping though, just getting one key card to add to my collection. If you just spot talent and get the best players even if some don't pan out a couple years later the players that due become stars go up in value. Especially in basketball. I don't do as well in football because the market just doesn't do as well. I mean some cards go up like I bought a Wentz RC Auto #/25 for $400 and I saw one sell for $600 recently. Baseball go up and down quite a bit but you have to know the top prospects and get their cards way before they enter the MLB.

yeah i would specifically be looking at basketball. Seems to me that if you know what you want ahead of time and are buying before they start putting up stellar numbers, you could easily pick up 4 or 5, keep one for your "collection" and flip the rest for a handsome profit. Your Giannis for example, buy 5 of those at $50 each. Keep 1 and flip the other 4 for $400 each and you just made $1400 profit on basketbal cards.

Buy 3 Ben Simmons cards at $300 each, as you said they were going for and sell two of them now for 1300 each and you just made 2 grand in months (minus the cost of the card you're keeping)

So what qualifies as "junk" and what qualifies as ultra high end? What key words do you need to be looking for?

For Basketball I would just stick with Panini Prizm Auto RCs or Panini Prizm Refractor Auto RCs; although I went with Panini Select Rookie Patch Autos for a couple years and Contenders Autos before that, and Topps Chrome before that (Topps lost their license after 2009-10). Low end is just cheap on ebay and base cards like your link shows. Always get a card that's part of a main set, not a subset or insert type card. High End is Immaculate Rookie Patch Autos (RPAs) and National Treasures RPAs. I'm not saying you can't make money with Immaculate and/or National Treasures - I just don't want to pay that much myself, those might be the way to go though except the price is very high right off the bat usually. Panini makes all cards in basketball as they're the only one with an NBA license, and NFL too now. Topps/Bowman only has a license for Baseball cards (and Panini does not). Stay away from anything that's in a college uniform.

You made a really good point I should be buying duplicates and flipping those and just keeping one for my collection.

For Basketball I would just stick with Panini Prizm Auto RCs or Panini Prizm Refractor Auto RCs; although I went with Panini Select Rookie Patch Autos for a couple years and Contenders Autos before that, and Topps Chrome before that (Topps lost their license after 2009-10). Low end is just cheap on ebay and base cards like your link shows. Always get a card that's part of a main set, not a subset or insert type card. High End is Immaculate Rookie Patch Autos (RPAs) and National Treasures RPAs. I'm not saying you can't make money with Immaculate and/or National Treasures - I just don't want to pay that much myself, those might be the way to go though except the price is very high right off the bat usually. Panini makes all cards in basketball as they're the only one with an NBA license, and NFL too now. Topps/Bowman only has a license for Baseball cards (and Panini does not). Stay away from anything that's in a college uniform.

You made a really good point I should be buying duplicates and flipping those and just keeping one for my collection.

gotcha. but the Ben Simmons ones you listed before are not autographed. So even the prizm (non dime a dozen) RCs can be worth it?

gotcha. but the Ben Simmons ones you listed before are not autographed. So even the prizm (non dime a dozen) RCs can be worth it?

Only because the Simmons card is a Silver Refractor or other parallels like my Ruby Wave version, and only because he doesn't have an autograph RC and won't. Otherewise stick to Autograph RCs. Maybe basketball's different, I don't pay much attention I just assume the autograph version is going to be better than the non-auto version. Do a search on ebay for 2012 Prizm Auto Anthony Davis or Kyrie Irving and 2012 Prizm Anthony Davis or Kyrie Irving to compare Auto versus non-auto prices and also Refractor versions. Only look at sold ebay sales though. Maybe make a spreadsheet and track prices of some cards and try and compare it to how well they play on a nightly basis, weekly and monthly too maybe.

I know when Anthony Wiggins cards first came out his Prizm Refractors (non-auto) were worth a lot and auto even more, not sure what has happened to those prices or where they started at though.

You can make money buying up Prizm base RCs (non-autos) or probably better refractor RCs (non-autos) as they go up more and faster... if you buy early and sell at the right time.

This year was my first year in the rookie card market. We have a friend who was drafted by the Spurs. Panini holds the contract for rookie cards. I went to the site on the first day they were available. There were 3 different cards available. Black is 1 of 1. Green there was 10 (same picture, just different colored background), and then there were like 25 or 50 blues. The Lonzo black card went for $499. Derrick's (pick #29 or 30) went for $149. The greens are less expensive, and the blues less than the greens. They show up in a sealed card holder with Panini tape as the seal. If you want it autographed authentically, Panini sends it to the players they have contracts with, or something like that, then they have it signed and resealed and sent to you. I think there's an additional fee for that service. So, to answer your speculation, there is only 1 rookie card that is black. It is the one that will carry the value. Then, the other companies begin to make versions of their own.