Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

Jesus goes for $450m.

Yikes.

There's someone with far more money than sense - and I don't care if it was the Vatican itself.

FU money like you read about

Yikes.

There's someone with far more money than sense - and I don't care if it was the Vatican itself.

disagree, people say that every time there is an auction, then its auctioned again for twice that in 10 years

disagree, people say that every time there is an auction, then its auctioned again for twice that in 10 years

Kind of agree but this is a super limited demographic... how many people can spend half. Billion dollars AND have an affinity for art? Super limited market... amazing piece none the less

... amazing piece none the less

I don't get art - admitted......... And I def don't get what makes this an amazing piece.. Other than saying Da Vinci, it looks rather blah to me. Then again, most expensive art does.

I don't get art - admitted......... And I def don't get what makes this an amazing piece.. Other than saying Da Vinci, it looks rather blah to me. Then again, most expensive art does.

It's over 500 years old. It was commissioned by a king, it was done by one of the great masters, it is the only Da Vinci available to a private owner . It's survived Years and years of war. I mean in no way is it "worth" the money but it is pretty amazing

It's over 500 years old. It was commissioned by a king, it was done by one of the great masters, it is the only Da Vinci available to a private owner . It's survived Years and years of war. I mean in no way is it "worth" the money but it is pretty amazing

Oh okay, as an historical artifact - I can see your point. That makes sense - but as an actual 'painting', meh.

Oh okay, as an historical artifact - I can see your point. That makes sense - but as an actual 'painting', meh.

Well, that is the case for most art imo lol

You can double your money every 7 years though. :dunno:

Well, that is the case for most art imo lol

Really? Hum, well - maybe that's why I don't get it....... I'd rather have a moon rock. :D

Im with Mensa on this. He couldve gotten much more ROI if he invested that money elsewhere, if that was his goal at least.

But at the same time he has 450 million in spare change and I dont know, so what the fock do I know.

Read some comments today on a different site about how they believe artwork is sometimes used to launder money. I have no idea of the validity of such a claim but it's the only thing that makes sense in justifying these ridiculous prices.

Really? Hum, well - maybe that's why I don't get it....... I'd rather have a moon rock. :D

I have a self taken picture of a moon rock. Would you like to buy it?

I have a self taken picture of a moon rock. Would you like to buy it?

$450m?

If you ever get interested, look into famous art thefts in the last say 30 years.

These galleries are all in on it. Or at least it sure as hell should be. Their security systems are absolute crap.

I'm not kidding. Some of the biggest art heist in recent history? In one case, the thief just walked in and unlatch the window the afternoon before the robbery. In another case the museum had a Outsource their security to an off-site location. They're literally wasn't a single guard for dozens of miles.

We may be picturing something out of Mission Impossible. But I swear to God it's more like shoplifting at the Kwik-E-Mart.

Don't tell me that somebody is not slipping five or six figures to the head of a gallery to look the other way while the mob runs off with a billion dollars in artwork.

I'll cut you a deal. $450.00

Hum, let me think about it..... Is it an old picture? Those carry more value. :)

With the Advent of new technologies ranging from canvases to paints to frames, it is estimated that somewhere in excess of 70% so called Fine Art hanging in the world's finest galleries are actually very good reproductions.

In some cases, the Galleries and museums do so on purpose.

I have always wanted to visit the Hermitage in Russia. But word amongst those in the know is that as corrupt as the former Soviet Union is, the overwhelming majority of what she see there are very good knock offs. These oligarchs are making literally billions of dollars and you can only buy so much stuff. They're not looking to launder cash or make a profit years down the road, they just want to be able to say that they have the original Van Gogh or Monet or what the hell ever.

With the Advent of new technologies ranging from canvases to paints to frames, it is estimated that somewhere in excess of 70% so called Fine Art hanging in the world's finest galleries are actually very good reproductions.

I have always wanted to visit the Hermitage in Russia. But word amongst those in the know is that as corrupt as the former Soviet Union is, the overwhelming majority of what she see there are very good knock offs. These oligarchs are making literally billions of dollars and you can only buy so much stuff. They're not looking to launder cash or make a profit years down the road, they just want to be able to say that they have the original Van Gogh or Monet or what the hell ever.

I don't doubt it. Sounds like a job for Neil Caffrey.

• Like 1

I often thought that a lot of what I'm seeing in galleries in nyc can't be real. We are talking hundreds of billions worth of art and anybody can walk within inches of it with no security in the room?

I bet I could paint something 1/450 as good. :banana:

This reminds me, there was another artwork that just sold for a hefty amount that a 2 year old can paint....let me see if I can find a link.

I bet I could paint something 1/450 as good. :banana:

My wife took 8 of the coolest paintings my 6 and 8 yr old sons did, had them framed and hung them in our entry. It looks like some sorta abstract exhibit you'd see at some stupid gallery.

People have literally walked in and said things like "Oh, I love this collection." or "You have such great taste in art."

Im with Mensa on this. He couldve gotten much more ROI if he invested that money elsewhere, if that was his goal at least.

But at the same time he has 450 million in spare change and I dont know, so what the fock do I know.

I doubt he sees it as an investment.

My wife took 8 of the coolest paintings my 6 and 8 yr old sons did, had them framed and hung them in our entry. It looks like some sorta abstract exhibit you'd see at some stupid gallery.

People have literally walked in and said things like "Oh, I love this collection." or "You have such great taste in art."

I hope you made some bank on them...

Yes, these are all original and one of a kind. I'm asking $1k a piece or $5k for the entire collection.

I hope you made some bank on them...

Yes, these are all original and one of a kind. I'm asking $1k a piece or $5k for the entire collection.

I have a hard time keeping a straight face when my wife tells them my boys painted them. She's contemplated taking them down because it's caused a few uncomfortable scenes.

Some have just outwardly laughed at themselves and others have tried to play if off by saying things like "OMG, they are so talented. They should be at at Art School."

450M! :shocking: Giancarlo Stanton only gets 325M and he hits 59 home runs.

In all fairness Da Vinci is more important historically than Stanton, but one day his home run balls may fetch that with inflation.

Jeez and I get all pissed off over the Ticketmaster fees :o

Maybe you do, but why would he care? :dunno: