Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

I don't remember having this before

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/popup?id=66...amp;start=false

What kind of event could get U2, Beyoncé, Mary J. Blige, Bruce Springsteen, Usher, Will.I.Am, John Mellencamp, Shakira, :thumbsup: Garth Brooks, Sheryl Crow and Josh Groban to share a stage? A massive charity concert? A glitzy awards show? No, try the inauguration of President-elect Barack Obama.

Those celebrities and a ton of others have signed up to perform at "We Are One: The Obama Inaugural Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial," the first of many official events sponsored by the Presidential Inaugural Committee. According to the The Washington Post, the 90-minute concert will begin on Sunday at 2 p.m., and HBO will air it for free (for all cable and satellite subscribers) that night at 7 p.m.

Details are still being finalized, but the theme of the show will be Obama's place in history among other presidents who've led the country in difficult times. Many of the artists will cover songs that have historical resonance or connect with the theme of the day. "It's not a celebration of victory; it's about the country coming together for the future we're going to face," executive producer George Stephens Jr. said on Monday, according to the Hollywood Reporter. "There's a sense of history about it. Much of the music will be in the context of that history. The Lincoln Memorial is a kind of sacred site."

The site of Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech will be filled with a variety of sounds during the show, including the music of Herbie Hancock, John Legend, Heather Headley, Sugarland's Jennifer Nettles, as well as historical passages read by Denzel Washington, Queen Latifah, Jamie Foxx and Martin Luther King III. Each artist will perform one song, with a number of duets or trios, often of songs the singers have never performed in public before.

Obama, Vice President-elect Joe Biden and their families will attend the concert, and Obama will appear onstage.

There's like 22 different artists going to appear on this thing. I don't recall ever having one of these things. WTF? "These are tough times my people. People are unemployed and starving - and don't forget global warming dontcha know. So we're going to spend millions of dollars to put on a mega-concert. It'll be SO much better than half time at the SuperBowl." - That's our message - austerity glitz.

I dunno. Seems odd. But maybe as divided as the country is, maybe it'll help. Doubt it. I'm pretty sure the last thing the remaining 22%ers want is to see Barack on stage with Usher & Beyonce. That ought to go over well here in East Texas. Still, maybe it's cool that we celebrate our democracy in such a way. Maybe it's cool that artists from all over the world want to be a part of this. Maybe it's cool that we do more to celebrate our democracy than we do the SuperBowl.

...or maybe not. :unsure:

But I do lurves me some Shakira. :overhead:

That ought to go over well here in East Texas.

I find it amusing that YOU live in East Texas. :overhead:

So much for "responsible Washington spending". Maybe his other campaign promises will actually come to fruition.

So much for "responsible Washington spending". Maybe his other campaign promises will actually come to fruition.

To that point, as I understand it, all of this is coming from Private donations and a lot of the artists are doing it for free, paying their own way), but still, donate that money to local food banks - something. I knew they had various "balls", but I just don't remember ever having this kind of concert thing before. :overhead:

To that point, as I understand it, all of this is coming from Private donations and a lot of the artists are doing it for free, paying their own way), but still, donate that money to local food banks - something. I knew they had various "balls", but I just don't remember ever having this kind of concert thing before. :overhead:

I hope you are correct. The police, EMT and seceret service required for a party that size at the Lincoln memorial will be off the chart.

They are still having the balls as I understand. My SIL is attending one.

I hope you are correct. The police, EMT and seceret service required for a party that size at the Lincoln memorial will be off the chart.

They are still having the balls as I understand. My SIL is attending one.

Huh, every four years Washington decides to have some balls.

They do some extravagant crap every time.

As I recall, bush did some kind of "Boots and Black Tie" ball. A redneck-chic kind of thing, where he catered some guy to do sh!tloads of expensive barbeque and whatnot.

Basically, this one is bigger for two reasons:

1) First black president. That has them all fired up.

2) 78% of the country is deleriously happy that Bush is finally leaving office.

I'd rather watch coverage of Bush's exit than Obama's arrival, personally.

As I recall, bush did some kind of "Boots and Black Tie" ball. A redneck-chic kind of thing, where he catered some guy to do sh!tloads of expensive barbeque and whatnot.

You are correct they usually have one main gala and several other smaller ones sponsored and paid for by various groups. As wiffle stated what makes this different is the size and scope of the event. It costs a helluva lot more money for the CIA, FBI, Secert Service and DC police to secure an open area like the Lincoln Memorial than it does a ballroom.

Geez, the ego of this Obama guy. Then again, we all agreed he was an elitist snob. What can you do? :thumbsdown:

You are correct they usually have one main gala and several other smaller ones sponsored and paid for by various groups. As wiffle stated what makes this different is the size and scope of the event. It costs a helluva lot more money for the CIA, FBI, Secert Service and DC police to secure an open area like the Lincoln Memorial than it does a ballroom.

Yeah, I have a hard time believing the SS and whatnot's costs are going to be paid entirely out of pocket.

As far as the DC cops? Fock 'em. Balt, DC, VA, the whole areas's gonna have a HUGE boon in tourist taxes during a period of the year when there usually ain't jack shiit. Enjoy the overtime pay boys.

And Hire the Dixie Chicks to play his goodbye party. :P

WRONG!

More like 99.3%. :P

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/popup?id=66...amp;start=false

There's like 22 different artists going to appear on this thing. I don't recall ever having one of these things. WTF? "These are tough times my people. People are unemployed and starving - and don't forget global warming dontcha know. So we're going to spend millions of dollars to put on a mega-concert. It'll be SO much better than half time at the SuperBowl." - That's our message - austerity glitz.

I dunno. Seems odd. But maybe as divided as the country is, maybe it'll help. Doubt it. I'm pretty sure the last thing the remaining 22%ers want is to see Barack on stage with Usher & Beyonce. That ought to go over well here in East Texas. Still, maybe it's cool that we celebrate our democracy in such a way. Maybe it's cool that artists from all over the world want to be a part of this. Maybe it's cool that we do more to celebrate our democracy than we do the SuperBowl.

...or maybe not. :thumbsup:

But I do lurves me some Shakira. :wub:

most of Shakiras music is political...im luv me some her also...i like quite a few of these singers..except for john mellonhead..i just HOPE they dont grab the mic and get all political..the man was voted in..dont act as if things just changed and got better..if he does what he SAYS he can do...heck, ILL go to dc and celebrate also...til then....dance your hearts out, i guess....this wont change anyones views...its american idol to many people and a megaconcert doesnt change the corruption that has gone on..and is going on in illinois..but im not concerned..

im fast forwarding through this when oprah windfart gets on stage..bad enough she is stalking him and has move to be closer to him...maybe the SS will harpoon her like a whale when she gets too touchy feely...no oprah...no tom cruise...no susan sarandon...more shakira and those hips :P

REP. WEINER’S LETTER TO PRESIDENT BUSH ASKING THAT INAUGURAL FUNDS BE USED FOR THE TROOPS

President George W. Bush

The White House

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW

Washington, D.C. 20500

Dear Mr. President:

The festivities surrounding your inauguration later this month are slated to cost $40 million – making this the most expensive inauguration in history. I urge you to re-direct those funds towards a use more fitting to these sober times – bonuses or equipment for our troops.

Precedent suggests that inaugural festivities should be muted – if not cancelled – in wartime. In the midst of World War II, President Roosevelt held his 1945 inaugural at the White House, making a short speech and serving guests cold chicken salad and plain pound cake. During World War I, President Wilson did not have any parties at his 1917 inaugural, saying that such festivities would be undignified.

Furthermore, $40 million could provide substantial support for our troops overseas. For example, we could buy armor for 690 unarmored humvees or provide a $290 bonus for each member of the armed services station in Iraq.

Please re-direct all the funds raised for the inauguration to our brave men and women in uniform.

i wonder if the weiner rep will send the same letter to the obama campaign.

WASHINGTON — President George W. Bush on Tuesday declared an emergency in the District of Columbia that will let the nation's capital tap deeper into federal coffers for Barack Obama's inauguration.

Bush said that an emergency exists and ordered federal aid to supplement the $15 million in federal funds already appropriated for the event.

White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said District of Columbia Mayor Adrian M. Fenty requested the emergency declaration on Jan. 7 because he decided that the crowds expected for the nation's 56th presidential inauguration would exceed the city's ability to protect the public.

If the extra money is needed, it will come from the Federal Emergency and Management Agency budget, Stanzel said.

In a statement, the White House said the assistance is available to the district for emergency measures to protect public health and safety.

Fenty and others have said millions could descend on Washington for the inauguration

For Bert.

I'm guessing the parties/artists, etc. themselves are paid for from the millions in donations and this stuff covers the stuff you were talking about.

I wonder if DC's Mayor will pay back a portion of the tax windfall that he's about to get.

In the end, the bonuses paid out for the bank bailouts probably total more than this whole thing though. Disgusting.

bo can have all the parties he wants to have. good for him. he's the new president. there should be parties.

i would just like to hear from the liberal hypocrits, like the one posted above, that opposed the last one.

bo can have all the parties he wants to have. good for him. he's the new president. there should be parties.

i would just like to hear from the liberal hypocrits, like the one posted above, that opposed the last one.

I assume you are reffering to me?

I didn't, and don't, oppose the last one. The President is our head of state, a certain amount of ceremonial function goes with the office, and that requires $$$.

I'm merely pointing out that to criticize BO for having one, when GWB did, and no one complained, is hypocritical.

Link??

Dumbshiit. :overhead:

Nice to see that the taxpayers are going to pay for this $100+ million affair...

For Bert.

I'm guessing the parties/artists, etc. themselves are paid for from the millions in donations and this stuff covers the stuff you were talking about.

I wonder if DC's Mayor will pay back a portion of the tax windfall that he's about to get.

In the end, the bonuses paid out for the bank bailouts probably total more than this whole thing though. Disgusting.

Thanks.

Link??

Dumbshiit. :cheers:

link that you're a dumbshiit? i think that's been linked already. i did however provide the letter written by rep weiner of ny to president bush.

I'm hoping to get the day off :cheers:

i did however provide the letter written by rep weiner of ny to president bush.

That doesn't really support the idea that I "opposed the last one". - Especially when my thread title is "I don't remember having this before". :cheers:

- Reading comprehension sure ain't your strong suit, is it??

Nice to see that the taxpayers are going to pay for this $100+ million affair...

and when hes done...he will talk to us about how these are tough times and we need to cut back and control our spending....

what did you want him to do? act like hes been there before? meh....

he knows that with little experience and coming from a shady political state in illinois..that he pulled off the miracle....app state over michigan....and hes gonna party....hes most likely the last minority who will ever be president..so why NOT party?

what would you prefer they do? light candles and sing kumbaya? give me a break. of course there's gonna be a party. it's an exciting event full of hope and possibilities. and yes it has a lot to do with the first african-american president. let's not forget that there are black people alive today who still remember not being allowed to take a p1ss in the same bathroom as you white folk. it wasn't all that long ago, and we all have a right to be proud and thrilled for our new leader to make history.

some of you never cease to amaze me

:(

what would you prefer they do? light candles and sing kumbaya? give me a break. of course there's gonna be a party. it's an exciting event full of hope and possibilities. and yes it has a lot to do with the first african-american president. let's not forget that there are black people alive today who still remember not being allowed to take a p1ss in the same bathroom as you white folk. it wasn't all that long ago, and we all have a right to be proud and thrilled for our new leader to make history.

:overhead:

Obama has a white momma and a black daddy. Obama is white. Ok, ok. Let's just say multi-racial. I can be sensitive at times. But if a baby has a Catholic mommy and Jewish daddy, that kid is a Catholic.

But African-American/black, he is absolutely not. Also, since he had absolutely no connection to any racist discrimination in his lifetime in this country, none of his kin ever suffered in this country, but in Kenya, he has no reference to the suffering of black people in this country. His kin sold black people into slavery into this country. This guy is a white priveledged Kennedy if anything. Obama is a poser. Please, do not ever connect him to black people in this country, because there is no link. You can link him to Kevin Bacon long before you can link Obama to America's black experience.

And for my next rant, I demand the media to criticize Obama for ANYTHING. ANYGODDAM THING. ENOUGH ALREADY. ;) :mad:

maybe you should read this...

http://www.amazon.com/Dreams-My-Father-Sto...2489&sr=8-2

and while you're at it, maybe you can explain to us how hitler wasn't really german because he was born in austria or something like that...

I'm not sure of your point. Granted, Obama was born in Kenya. But I would hope he wouldn't pretend to be black, because he is not. It's been 5 minutes. Did he nominate another felon for a cabinet position?

I don't give a sh!t about that faggut Hitler. He was probably born in Camden for all the sh!t he did. Fock Hitler. Stalin was a bigger monster than Adolph could ever hope to be.

:pointstosky:

my point was that...when so many businesses are going belly up and the nation is in a HUGE financial mess..it seems dumb to have Soul Train 09 where Sasha Fierce is telling single gals to put a fricken ring on it...

i feel for all of those who suffered through and still suffer through racism..but cmon..has he?...the media doesnt even dare say a bad word about O and there is plenty to go on about..innocent mistake not filing taxes? nice example, O..so i guess i dont have to file MINE this year either? innocent mistake...i was busy :mad:

i hope ACORN is at this party whooping it up...

East Texas.

Holy sh!t...where at? I spent a good 8 years of my life in Kilgore (well technically "Liberty City"). If I had to pin ya, I'd say Tyler? Longview?

Holy sh!t...where at? I spent a good 8 years of my life in Kilgore (well technically "Liberty City"). If I had to pin ya, I'd say Tyler? Longview?

Houston.

And Hire the Dixie Chicks to play his goodbye party. :blink:

I like the Dixie Chicks, their music and especially their politics but you know what (I like Toby Keith's music better. I'm a big fan. Ssshhh)

I'd like to vote for the drunkest guy in the thread, and the only nominee is phillybear. It's nice to know that I can keep up my general anger about the world whether I'm sober or drunk. I like my consistency.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread featuring slap fights.

While I'm genuinely happy for Obama, I would have been fine with McCain as well. What gets me truely rejoicing is the notion that Bush is finally gone. :rolleyes:

my point was that...when so many businesses are going belly up and the nation is in a HUGE financial mess..it seems dumb to have Soul Train 09 where Sasha Fierce is telling single gals to put a fricken ring on it...

<_<

All the unemployed workers! Put your hands UP! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure of your point. Granted, Obama was born in Hawaii But I would hope he wouldn't pretend to be black, because he is not. It's been 5 minutes. Did he nominate another felon for a cabinet position?

I don't give a sh!t about that faggut Hitler. He was probably born in Camden for all the sh!t he did. Fock Hitler. Stalin was a bigger monster than Adolph could ever hope to be.