Sign in to follow this  
josh wiley

Definitive way to grill a steak

I prefer to cook my steaks in a CIS either on the stove or on he grill. When grilling I will sear the steaks over direct heat, I prefer to season my steaks with a generous amount of garlic powder/salt/black pepper to create a nice crust when searing, I will also use some coffee from time to time as well.

After about 2 minute sear each side I place the steaks in the CIS and place that over indirect heat and cover steaks with a compound butter of rosemary. after butter has melted I will baste the steaks as they cook and use the combo of butter/steak juice as the serving sauce when plated

1. Take steaks out of fridge set on counter

2. Take a beer out of fridge -- open

3. Walk outside, take off cover, get grill started.

4. Drink beer while listening to music and staring at fire

5. Walk inside, EVOO and favorite seasoning of steaks

6. Grab another beer

7. 2-3 minutes, rotate 2-3 minutes

8. Flip, 2-3 minutes, rotate 2-3 minutes.

9. Finish beer while making plates and letting steak rest

10. Eat

this is close to my method...but i simplified even more...

1. open beer

2. tell my wife i want steak

3. open another beer

4. she cooks it

5. another beer

6. eat

I have to disagree with this advise, if you don't have the time to brine the bird/breast then you want to avoid low/slow and you want to cook at a higher temp.

I'd suggest 275-300

Also mesquite is a very strong flavored wood and should only be used on Beef, for poultry your best bet is any of the fruit woods to include Pecan.

To each their own. I happen to like the distinctive flavor of mesquite, but it's certainly not the only option.

My grandpa an I used to smoke a turkey breast as an alternative to the oven roasted turkey my grandma made for Thanksgiving.

We used this method many times with mesquite and the results were great.

Not sure about cooking it.

I always kneel before eating it

Mesquite is a great wood, great flavor. But agreed, it has a strong smoke flavor. In this state, Mesquite is more of a West Texas bbq staple.. It burns hot and it burns fast - maybe the prefect wood for grilling steaks.

I did mesquite on turkey breast a couple of months ago. It was a little overwhelming. I was smoking some other meats at the same time and was just trying out the mesquite with turkey.

Did the same smoking with cherry and apple a few weeks back and the turkey was much better.

You stick a meat thermometer in steaks?

Yes I have young kids so I make sure I hit well done for them. Never screw up a steak when you have a little digital temp gauge