Sign in to follow this  
Vikings4ever

So, La'el Collins...

Long story short, pregnant ex-girlfriend gets shot and killed (although the baby has survived). He was supposed to take a paternity test next week.

Police say he isn't a suspect (although they want to talk to him), and his lawyer says he was nowhere near the incident, but that doesn't preclude him paying someone to do it.

So, this has the potential to be Rae Carruth all over again.

The police are not saying he is not a suspect. Neither are they saying that he is. "Sit down and talk" sounds like more than a paternity test. That said, he may have knowledge of her associates and movements that local people might not give up. Note she is almost 10 years older.

It's a pity. He looked like the 2nd or 3rd OL off the board.

J

The police are not saying he is not a suspect. Neither are they saying that he is. "Sit down and talk" sounds like more than a paternity test. That said, he may have knowledge of her associates and movements that local people might not give up. Note she is almost 10 years older.

It's a pity. He looked like the 2nd or 3rd OL off the board.

J

It's sad because a woman was killed . Heck with his draft stock are you kidding me ?

Long story short, pregnant ex-girlfriend gets shot and killed (although the baby has survived). He was supposed to take a paternity test next week.

Police say he isn't a suspect (although they want to talk to him), and his lawyer says he was nowhere near the incident, but that doesn't preclude him paying someone to do it.

So, this has the potential to be Rae Carruth all over again.

You never say they're a suspect for numerous reasons. One is that if you talk to the guy you pretty much have to give him his Miranda rights no matter what because you've already said that you think he did it. Would be hard to argue later that you were just seeing what the guy knew. Also if you say that guy's a suspect but then you end arresting someone else, then you've given the guy you arrested a pretty good defense.

Bottom line: just because he hasn't been named a suspect doesn't mean he isn't one. Certainly the top one initially

I just read on Rotoworld that some Scouts believe he will no longer be drafted. If they had the evidence he did it, he would have been arrested by now. I can't imagine this kid paid someone else to do it as it seems obvious the finger would be pointed directly at him. As a GM, what do you do? This kid may be 100% innocent. This could simply be bad timing. We don't know what the mother was into, in terms of drugs, alcohol, who she hangs out with..... Then again, he could have paid someone.

As a GM, do you risk drafting someone who could be involved in something like this? If so, what round? As a Rams homer, and the team with the worst offensive line in the NFL, I'd gladly take this guy in the 3rd round. Hell, over 80% of our first and second rounders have been total busts in the last 12 years, so why not take a guy who at least has some talent.

Depends on what your own investigation tells you but I probably wouldn't take this guy earlier than the fifth round.

And most likely not at all. I mean wouldn't you be surprised if he wasn't involved in the murder?

4th or 5th round sounds about right. If it's a terrible coincidence, you get a first round talent. If he was involved, you wasted a pick where only about half the picks are still on the team in the 3rd and 2nd years, respectively.

Roto:

FOX's Jay Glazer reports the agent for LSU G/T La'El Collins is trying to have him declared ineligible for this week's draft so he can clear his name in a Baton Rouge murder investigation, and then enter the Supplemental Draft.
Collins isn't a suspect in the death of his ex-girlfriend, but he's reportedly being removed from draft boards all the same. Per Glazer, most teams are "asking for a full police report clearing him before they are willing to draft him." Collins isn't slated to meet with police until after the draft.

Good think I clicked on this thread, I had him going at number 10 in the draft contest. :doh: Thanks V4E :thumbsup:

so in theory, let's say he goes undrafted then is totally cleared in a couple weeks. Let's say a couple teams (contenders) end up needing a DB. He could sign a contract that is better than the standard rookie contracts handed out based on draft position. Maybe it works out for the best, but the fact that his agent wanted to completely yank him from the draft is a bad sign indeed.

What happen with Arron Hernandez must be on the minds of many of the teams looking at this guy . There is right now no way to really know where he stands right now . There is no way what they say happen with Hernandez can you take this guy right now at least .

so in theory, let's say he goes undrafted then is totally cleared in a couple weeks. Let's say a couple teams (contenders) end up needing a DB. He could sign a contract that is better than the standard rookie contracts handed out based on draft position. Maybe it works out for the best, but the fact that his agent wanted to completely yank him from the draft is a bad sign indeed.

I know the NFL only allows so much to be spent on UDFA signing bonuses (it was 80K last year), so he could get a bigger contract, but almost none of it would be guaranteed.

As for wanting to take him out, I would think that would indicate 3 possible things:

hich would seem to indicate 1 of 3 things:

1. He's innocent, in which case he'd almost certainly go higher in the supplementary draft than in this draft

2. He thinks the police won't be able to pin anything on him

3. His agent didn't believe the move will work, but was hoping this will give a positive impression to teams

The reward is worth a third rounder, looking at how the legal aspect is unfolding. With his versatility? Oh yeah.

I don't think the agent pulling him from the draft is a bad sign. Indicates that he thinks Collins will be exonerated before the supplemental draft. Now whether it'd actually play out that way is a different issue.

Who here is worried about an offensive tackles draft position for their fantasy team?

The kid/agent says he won't sign if he's drafted on day three. Well day three is her and he's still out there. Now I had the idea that you take him in the 4/5/6/7 whatever round you feel like rolling the dice on him, then use some creative structuring to design a contract that pays him 2nd round money and postpones the signing bonus until after either one year or he's fully cleared by the police.

Is that possible? Or is it somehow required by the league that a guy drafted in round six must get paid round six money in a vanilla contract?

I mean, if the money is there and a team liked you enough to take a chance, that 'wait for next year's draft' threat stops making sense.

The kid/agent says he won't sign if he's drafted on day three. Well day three is her and he's still out there. Now I had the idea that you take him in the 4/5/6/7 whatever round you feel like rolling the dice on him, then use some creative structuring to design a contract that pays him 2nd round money and postpones the signing bonus until after either one year or he's fully cleared by the police.

Is that possible? Or is it somehow required by the league that a guy drafted in round six must get paid round six money in a vanilla contract?

I mean, if the money is there and a team liked you enough to take a chance, that 'wait for next year's draft' threat stops making sense.

You have to factor in potential bad PR. Could get very ugly depending on how it plays out

I want the Raiders to do exactly that with their fourth rounder. He's worth the risk.

Oh boy, things get real complicated.

Apparently the agent's plan has backfired. He's not eligible to re-enter next year's draft since he wasn't drafted this year. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/02/collins-needs-to-be-drafted-in-order-to-re-enter-the-draft/

Also, the baby died now too.

If he's guilty, well, screw him.

But if he's innocent: what a mess. This guy just had his whole world collapse on him, lost his GF and baby, his reputation is in serious question and may or may not ever clean up. Then, through the bad advice of his agent, he also took a huge hit to his wallet/career.

Who here is worried about an offensive tackles draft position for their fantasy team?

Are you joking? So, if you had say... Latavius Murray and Collins signed with Oakland that wouldn't improve Murray's stock? :dunno:

Oh boy, things get real complicated.

Apparently the agent's plan has backfired. He's not eligible to re-enter next year's draft since he wasn't drafted this year. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/02/collins-needs-to-be-drafted-in-order-to-re-enter-the-draft/

Also, the baby died now too.

If he's guilty, well, screw him.

But if he's innocent: what a mess. This guy just had his whole world collapse on him, lost his GF and baby, his reputation is in serious question and may or may not ever clean up. Then, through the bad advice of his agent, he also took a huge hit to his wallet/career.

If he is innocent, not getting drafted could be the best outcome. He can sign any deal he wants with anyone. Not many guys with 1st round talent have that luxury.

• Like 1

If he is innocent, not getting drafted could be the best outcome. He can sign any deal he wants with anyone. Not many guys with 1st round talent have that luxury.

^^This.

If he's cleared of all this, it's a small token to replace everything he lost in such a short amount of time.

Checked out the kids Facebook page, in vain hope he grew up a Raider fan lol...

So he's an Eagle Scout, and does volunteer work with kids. Supports Boy and Girls Club, worked with some kids during Senior Bowl week.

Wondering where the uproar is over this kid getting screwed. Also wondering if that fock Goodell had anything to do with ALL 32 teams stoning him and not risking a lousy 3rd round pick.

Wondering where the uproar is over this kid getting screwed. Also wondering if that fock Goodell had anything to do with ALL 32 teams stoning him and not risking a lousy 3rd round pick.

Once he said he wasn't going to sign, teams pretty much had no choice but to let him pass. I have a feeling that he has agreed to FA terms with someone, but it won't be announced until after he is cleared.

Hope my Titans roll out the carpet, assuming everything is in order off the field, because we would likely plug him in at RT out of the gate.

How many teams would likely start him from day 1?

most?

most?

You think he's that good? Heard a number of teams had him rated as a guard because he's a little sloppy and does better in a confined space. I have a hard time believing he comes in as a starter for most every team but I suppose if that's what it takes to sign him your probably right.

Dumb focking idiots. Pretty much everybody is chomping at the bit to get a piece of this kid ... why not throw a 7th round pick his way a few days ago to keep the vultures away and then pay him a fir contract like he deserves (assuming he was innocent) like I was talking about earlier in the thread?

Hope my Titans roll out the carpet, assuming everything is in order off the field, because we would likely plug him in at RT out of the gate.

Collins is an NFL ready LEFT tackle right now. Very technical in pass blocking, skilled and efficient. His run blocking, while not as sharp, is very sound as well. He'll want to play LT in the NFL, while many teams will undoubtedly wish to project him as a guard.

Dumb focking idiots. Pretty much everybody is chomping at the bit to get a piece of this kid ... why not throw a 7th round pick his way a few days ago to keep the vultures away and then pay him a fir contract like he deserves (assuming he was innocent) like I was talking about earlier in the thread?

The NFL actually has limits on what a player could make depending on where drafted. Being an UDFA will not cost him much less than if he HAD been drafted after the third round. And he'll have advantage in being able to re-negotiate and extend after two years as opposed to the three drafted players must wait.

Money won't be a lure for this kid. He'll go to whatever situation is best for him personally.

The NFL actually has limits on what a player could make depending on where drafted. Being an UDFA will not cost him much less than if he HAD been drafted after the third round. And he'll have advantage in being able to re-negotiate and extend after two years as opposed to the three drafted players must wait.

Money won't be a lure for this kid. He'll go to whatever situation is best for him personally.

Thanks.

When I'd posted that, I was curious about how that worked, if it was possible. I wasn't sure. Since you had agreed with my thinking at the time, I suppose since, you took it a step further and went and looked up the rules to see it if was possible. Maybe the agent (and everybody else) isn't such an idiot that I had presumed and this really is playing out well for him after all.

Thanks.

When I'd posted that, I was curious about how that worked, if it was possible. I wasn't sure. Since you had agreed with my thinking at the time, I suppose since, you took it a step further and went and looked up the rules to see it if was possible. Maybe the agent (and everybody else) isn't such an idiot that I had presumed and this really is playing out well for him after all.

Well, it's been topic #1 on the Raider boards, hence I'm familiar. I know if Collins HAD been drafted, he would've had option of refusing to sign and been eligible for the 2016 draft.

The NFL needs to have a finding if this kid is innocent, and make this right. He's really getting screwed. In the old days, a team would've definitely drafted him by Round 3. But in today's politically correct NFL environment, teams are running scared.

Surprised to hear that he's thought of as a LT out of the gate. I just viewed him as a bruiser college tackle who got by on brut strength. He physically doesn't look the part of what the NFL has been playing at LT.

I think Taylor Lewan when I think prototypical LT. Collins is shorter, thicker build, and heavy in the pants. If he can play LT and teams had him rated as such he could do extremely well in this situation.

Well, it's been topic #1 on the Raider boards, hence I'm familiar. I know if Collins HAD been drafted, he would've had option of refusing to sign and been eligible for the 2016 draft.

The NFL needs to have a finding if this kid is innocent, and make this right. He's really getting screwed. In the old days, a team would've definitely drafted him by Round 3. But in today's politically correct NFL environment, teams are running scared.

What if he did it?

Since he can only be signed for a certain amount as an UDFA, I'd bet the smart teams are telling him "if" he plays well, they will extend him after two seasons and pay him "x" amount. You know the teams are doing whatever they can to get him signed.

I'm looking at him in several spots for fantasy purposes. The Bills need help at both Guard and Tackle. He only wants to play Tackle.... The Rams need help at Tackle in a big way. Either spot makes McCoy or Gurley/Mason a better fantasy back. Same can be said for the Raiders or Arizona, or the Giants and Browns. Damn near every team, even the ones that used a 1st rounder on a Tackle, could use him. Wherever he lands, the running back gets a slight bump on my list. He doesn't have to be an All Pro out of the gate, he only needs to be better than what the team had last season. In the case of Buffalo, the Raiders or Rams, that isn't going to be hard to accomplish. Hell, just showing up and standing still puts him on par with the Right Tackles on those squads last year.

Brady and pats again proven cheaters