Sign in to follow this  
RLLD

Supreme Court deals final blow to lead paint manufacturers'

The lead paint industry’s efforts to avoid a cleanup bill for more than $400 million has reached the end of the road.

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday refused to review California state court rulings finding Sherwin-Williams, Conagra and NL Industries responsible for lead paint contamination in thousands of homes built before 1951. That date is when the companies said their predecessor firms ceased actively advertising lead-based paint as a residential product.

The court’s action closes a key chapter in an 18-year legal battle waged by 10 California cities and counties, including Los Angeles County and the city of San Diego. Their lawsuit, originally filed in state court in Santa Clara in 2000, asserted the residual lead in old homes was contributing to severe health problems in children exposed to the paint. "It's at the top of our list of environmental threats," Jeffrey Gunzenhauser, the interim health officer and medical director for Los Angeles County, told me last year.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-lead-paint-20181015-story.html

The EPAs Lead Based Paint, Repair and Renovation policy is a focking joke.

Just another way to gouge small business for more taxes.

Specialized training, certification, and major fines for not following their protocols.

Meanwhile, Julios are running around the country painting and replacing doors and windows while violating EPA rules and doing so with no training or certification.

Its laughable.

mmmmm .... paint chips

The EPAs Lead Based Paint, Repair and Renovation policy is a focking joke.

Just another way to gouge small business for more taxes.

Specialized training, certification, and major fines for not following their protocols.

Meanwhile, Julios are running around the country painting and replacing doors and windows while violating EPA rules and doing so with no training or certification.

Its laughable.

I think the heart of those pursuing this is in the right place, but as with anything.....and I mean ANYTHING....the involvement of government only 1) makes it more expensive and 2)lowers the actual quality

I think the heart of those pursuing this is in the right place, but as with anything.....and I mean ANYTHING....the involvement of government only 1) makes it more expensive and 2)lowers the actual quality

This particular policy seeks to penalize professionals in the industry who allow less paint into the air via demolition.

However, homeowners and their family members are free to do the exact same thing with no reprecussions whatseover.

If you hire a pro painter and he scrapes lead based paint without having first tested it, taking the steps to seal the area, put on a hazmat suit and dispose of the debris in a very specific way, he can be fined thousands of dollars for each incident.

But if you and your brother do the same thing, its no problem.

This particular policy seeks to penalize professionals in the industry who allow less paint into the air via demolition.

However, homeowners and their family members are free to do the exact same thing with no reprecussions whatseover.

If you hire a pro painter and he scrapes lead based paint without having first tested it, taking the steps to seal the area, put on a hazmat suit and dispose of the debris in a very specific way, he can be fined thousands of dollars for each incident.

I'm not sure the point of this of this post. I assume if these brothers also decided to try canning--and contracted botulism, there wouldn't be much that could be done but if a company did the same thing, that company could potentially be negligent. Soooooo ..... what are you trying to say?

I had a different interpretation.

The current companies, who bought the companies that actually performed the acts contributing to the situation, are being held legally accountable for the actions of those companies they bought. Actions that happened before said companies were bought.

Extending culpability to the current company is tough for me to accept.