Sign in to follow this  
Flyfreak

D.Murray's days in Dallas appear to be numbered

i don't think randle/dunbar is the answer, they're gonna bring in some fresh meat

i wouldn't object to that, but i don't think they can afford to spend much of a draft pick on him. recent drafts have been very offense-heavy, and at some point, you have to pay the piper. we desperately need an edge rusher, secondary help, and LB depth. and we have to consider a developmental QB in addition to vaughn.

maybe a 4th rounder, but unless a great prospect falls, i can't see drafting a RB any higher than that.

i wouldn't object to that, but i don't think they can afford to spend much of a draft pick on him. recent drafts have been very offense-heavy, and at some point, you have to pay the piper. we desperately need an edge rusher, secondary help, and LB depth. and we have to consider a developmental QB in addition to vaughn.

maybe a 4th rounder, but unless a great prospect falls, i can't see drafting a RB any higher than that.

do you seriously think they'd stick with randle?

Randle/Dunbar is not a long term, or even immediate, answer. If you watched any Cowboys football this year you did see them do well in spurts. What you didn't see is them be relied on heavily to pass block - which they both are weak at.

No question AP would be a huge temptation for Jerry - hell any GM really. But he's learned it seems and his changing. D. Ware and Manziel are well known. But other moves cement the movement further that aren't even talked about. Example: signing of H. Melton. Jerry was overseas and was not involved at all in the negotiations and wining/dining of Melton - in the past that never happens......... Hopefully G. Escobar and M. Claiborne are the last two huge gaffs this owner/gm makes for a while.

Randle/Dunbar is not a long term, or even immediate, answer. If you watched any Cowboys football this year you did see them do well in spurts. What you didn't see is them be relied on heavily to pass block - which they both are weak at.

No question AP would be a huge temptation for Jerry - hell any GM really. But he's learned it seems and his changing. D. Ware and Manziel are well known. But other moves cement the movement further that aren't even talked about. Example: signing of H. Melton. Jerry was overseas and was not involved at all in the negotiations and wining/dining of Melton - in the past that never happens......... Hopefully G. Escobar and M. Claiborne are the last to huge gaffs this owner/gm makes for a while.

i hope they revert to 05-12

do you seriously think they'd stick with randle?

i don't think they'd want to, but if the only alternative is to sign murray and lose 40% of the offensive line or most of the defensive depth, then IMO they should. the most likely scenario is a mid-round RB pick or a FA pickup, but i don't know if they're going to want to bring in anyone from the upper end of the UFA list:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/running-back/

if they could get AP on a team-friendly deal, then great. but that's a big 'if'. i really don;t see them spending more than $5M on anyone.

I wonder if the Boys are looking at Mark Ingram at all. He is an UFA - and the Saints don't have the cap space to do much with him. I wonder if he would consider something like 4 years and $14m to run behind this line....?

Running Backs are easily replaceable. I am surprised teams still give up the farm to get one of these guys. Someone will overpay for Murray, and I am not sure who... I think the Cowboys will try to get Peterson for a 1-2 year contract, but I think Randle is a good enough back behind that line. They should spend cap on the other positions of need - mostly defense.

I wonder if the Boys are looking at Mark Ingram at all. He is an UFA - and the Saints don't have the cap space to do much with him. I wonder if he would consider something like 4 years and $14m to run behind this line....?

his was the name that jumped out at me when i first looked over the list.

his was the name that jumped out at me when i first looked over the list.

yeah, he would make the most sense

looks like the vikes want ap back once he's reinstated, he's looking at 13m for 2015

Yikes - for that they can have him... Any team that pays $13m a year for a rb in today's game is a moron.

Yikes - for that they can have him... Any team that pays $13m a year for a rb in today's game is a moron.

I think it's what the vikes would owe him under his old contract

just the fact that they want him back should remove some of the tension on the cowboys side of things

apparently many teams will be interested in ap

I think it's what the vikes would owe him under his old contract

apparently many teams will be interested in ap

I don't think there is a team in the league that wouldn't want a talent like that. I also don't think there is a team in the league that would be willing to pay a rb $13m a year.... From what I understand the Vikings have fulfilled the guaranteed portion of Peterson's contract. Meaning they could technically cut him and only face a small (2.7mish) cap hit. I'm sure the Vikes would like to have him back - but AP would have to prolly take a pay cut.

I don't think there is a team in the league that wouldn't want a talent like that. I also don't think there is a team in the league that would be willing to pay a rb $13m a year.... From what I understand the Vikings have fulfilled the guaranteed portion of Peterson's contract. Meaning they could technically cut him and only face a small (2.7mish) cap hit. I'm sure the Vikes would like to have him back - but AP would have to prolly take a pay cut.

well, this is where things could get hairy for Dallas...if AP walks, the boys enter the picture, big time

well, this is where things could get hairy for Dallas...if AP walks, the boys enter the picture, big time

Not anywhere near $10m a year they don't. At that kind of money, I'd just assume spend a few million more a year and have Suh..... But I have no doubts Jerry is having Stephen crunch numbers to see just how much they can do. I would not be surprised at all to see him bite on $7m a year - which is still to high for my liking. I'd rather have a M. Ingram type for $3m.

agree with you about Ingram, but if AP opts out of the vikes situation, the cowboys will be number one on his list and I can see him doing a one year 9-10m deal, which will be a discounted deal

If AP would be willing to sign something around $5-6m a year - sure why not. But if AP wants $10m - forget it, can't have $20m+ a year tied up into just Dez and a rb.

I doubt AP is in a position to demand anything near that much money. He's got some atoning to do first - show people he can be a model citizen for a year, THEN talk big $

I doubt AP is in a position to demand anything near that much money. He's got some atoning to do first - show people he can be a model citizen for a year, THEN talk big $

you're greatly underestimating the open market for atonement

agree with you about Ingram, but if AP opts out of the vikes situation, the cowboys will be number one on his list and I can see him doing a one year 9-10m deal, which will be a discounted deal

AP is signed thru 2017, he doesn't have the option to opt out of anything..... Any deal for him at $9m or more isn't a discounted deal, it's a moronic one.

AP is signed thru 2017, he doesn't have the option to opt out of anything..... Any deal for him at $9m or more isn't a discounted deal, it's a moronic one.

i meant if the vikes opt out, sorry

i don't think the vikes will keep him for that kind of money and i think the cowboys will bring him in at 9-10m

i meant if the vikes opt out, sorry

i don't think the vikes will keep him for that kind of money and i think the cowboys will bring him in at 9-10m

I think you will be surprised to see just how few many teams line up to pay that much to a rb. I think AP is in for a jolt when he realizes his snatch isn't the end all that he thinks.

you're greatly underestimating the open market for atonement

You may be right. I'm guessing if Peterson leaves Minny he signs something along the lines of a 1 year 3 million dollar contract. Or a contract that is effectively that way due to incentive clauses, roster bonuses etc.

You may be right. I'm guessing if Peterson leaves Minny he signs something along the lines of a 1 year 3 million dollar contract. Or a contract that is effectively that way due to incentive clauses, roster bonuses etc.

that looks like a ray rice offer, no way AP doesn't get 8-10 for a one year deal

maybe conduct clause tied the terms

Everyone is saying they have to sign Dez and let Murray walk, but the truth is the cowboys should let both Dez and Murray walk. Good teams don't spend on either position. They pay their qbs a mint to work with leftovers. The highest paid receivers still left are what? Reggie Wayne making 4 mil this year and Jordy Nelson making 2 million? Even gronkowski only has a 5 mil cap hit.

Everyone is saying they have to sign Dez and let Murray walk, but the truth is the cowboys should let both Dez and Murray walk. Good teams don't spend on either position. They pay their qbs a mint to work with leftovers. The highest paid receivers still left are what? Reggie Wayne making 4 mil this year and Jordy Nelson making 2 million? Even gronkowski only has a 5 mil cap hit.

what does dez want?

Gronk's hit this year is $5.45M. Next year, it jumps to $8.65M.

Dallas could survive without Murray; I think that O line is the secret to their running game success. They cannot do the same without Dez; he's critical to their success.

Dez wants to be one of, if not the, highest paid wr in the game. The Cowboys have the room to do that, however, they won't. Speculation is that Dez will be franchised with that meaning he is looking at about $11-12m a year. Initial reports were he'd be pissed about it, but word is now that he is okay with it.

Gronk's hit this year is $5.45M. Next year, it jumps to $8.65M.

and jordy's new contract is 4 years, $39M.

i wonder about this board sometimes.

that looks like a ray rice offer, no way AP doesn't get 8-10 for a one year deal

maybe conduct clause tied the terms

Ray rice is veteran minimum territory

Speaking Thursday, Cowboys owner/GM Jerry Jones acknowledged it would be a "challenge" to re-sign both DeMarco Murray and Dez Bryant for 2015.

Since Bryant is widely expected to remain in Dallas either via the franchise tag or a long-term deal, that makes Murray the odd man out. Murray put the Cowboys on his back in 2014, but has a long injury history, and turns 27 next month. Those are two strikes against a running back, though the situation is obviously different in Murray's case since he just led the league in rushing. Murray will likely reach free agency, but could end up back in Dallas if he doesn't like what he hears on the open market.

and jordy's new contract is 4 years, $39M.

i wonder about this board sometimes.

Devil's in the details. The contract is loaded on the backend, so either the salary cap will go up, so the % of cap space he's taking won't be as significant, or he'll be gone. This year, his salary is 1.3 million plus roster/workout bonus, and his salary cap hit is all that plus whatever his prorated signing bonus was.

Devil's in the details. The contract is loaded on the backend, so either the salary cap will go up, so the % of cap space he's taking won't be as significant, or he'll be gone. This year, his salary is 1.3 million plus roster/workout bonus, and his salary cap hit is all that plus whatever his prorated signing bonus was.

base salary is an almost meaningless number--an accounting tool. you're conveniently ignoring the $3.2M of prorated bonus. regardless, your model of cap allocation works if you have a HOF QB. but there are only a few of those to go around. if you don't have one, then your method doesn't work at all.

dez is going to want top-5 money, and objectively speaking his performance merits it in terms of market value. i suspect his agent will be aiming a little below fitz's number ($16M average/yr), but there's no way that's going to happen. the team is going to be pushing for something like $11M.

we'll see how it turns out.

Though I don't consider myself a Cowboy fan, I've lived here in Arlington since 1998 and have gotten pretty familiar with the team. I highly respected the approach they took in 2014, proving to everyone that running the football can be a recipe for success. I've also raised my eyes in amusement at all the laurels thrown at their defense in 2014. While I would not pretend to know more about Dallas than their true fans like Cruzer and Sirensong, I will point out the following...

In 2013 the Cowboys defense finished last in the league, with a third down conversion rate of 43%, a yards per play allowed of 6.1, and a yards per game allowed of 415.

In 2014 the Cowboys defense finished 19th in the league, with a third down conversion rate of 44%, a yards per play allowed of 5.8, and a yards per game allowed of 352.

The difference? This year the Cowboys defense was on the field almost three minutes less per game, for 80 fewer plays over the season. That's almost one and a third fewer games worth of snaps, which allowed them to bring down their points per game allowed from 27 to 22. And this is with a defense any Cowboy fan will tell you to be inferior to the 2013 model.

I've gotten a kick out of the local talk radio honks spinning the Executive of the Year award Jerry Jones won yesterday. And it's just a few months ago we were getting treated to pictures of that clown's drunken grin in an elevator, pants at his ankles, getting serviced by some airhead. I wonder how many people on this bored actually know how close that fool came to picking Johnny Manziel in the 2014 draft? So how smart is Jones?

In 2013 the Cowboys offense was thirty freaking first in the league in rushing attempts per game, at 21. However that same offense ran the ball at a 4.5 yards per carry clip, which was 8th in the league. And I can't say for certain, but I would bet that yds/game average was pretty consistent to what they've done over the last few years, no? So, it doesn't take a Phi Beta Kappa to understand that cranking the rushes per game up would bring better results.

This 2014 season didn't happen because Jerry Jones Executive of the Year brought in so-and-so scrub defensive free agent, and it for sure didn't happen because the players all of the sudden were buying in to Jason Garrett's message. It happened because someone in this organization, maybe Stephen Jones, slapped the idiot owner upside the head and yanked that Manziel draft card out of his hand. It happened because the Cowboys drafted a stud offensive lineman and henceforth ran the ball 31 times per game for 147 yds in 2014. And this was all possible due to DeMarco Murray's talent.

That offensive line is pretty damn stout, but this year doesn't come about without DeMarco Murray. He is the closest thing to Eric Dickerson I've seen in thirty years, with the size, speed, and moves. He's lights out on blitz pick up and blocking, he's got soft hands out of the backfield, and he's a great team mate in the locker room. The only true questions were his fumbles and durability, both of which saw improvement this season. The way he played through the ankle sprain and hand break, where even f*cking Emmitt took time off with the same injury, should lay all health concerns somewhat to rest.

I'm laughing when I hear crap like, "well, we HAVE to sign McClain," or "Melton's a free agent..." So freaking what? When the injuries started piling up earlier this year, they kept trotting out a chorus line of retreads and stiffs in 2014 on defense. One right after the other, and we all heard the lauding and clapping for the No Name We-fense lol... When in actuality, it was the running game which helped the defense the most.

That running game is who the Dallas Cowboys are right now, and it doesn't work without DeMarco Murray. Right now, there's no back in football anywhere which can bring what he delivers, even AP. Keep in mind, his most important aspect is volume. If they go committee, it ruins the flow. I'm from the old school thought that running backs, the true work horses, need a heavy volume of carries to really produce. Because when it comes down to it, the most important stat isn't really yards per se, but carries. Because carries is what spins the clock, and keeps the defense off the field. Randle is too slow and too small to even be in the discussion. Any rookie they draft won't be NFL ready anytime soon (ie. pass blocking, blitz pickup, route running etc.), and how much will you have to pay an established NFL vet to come in? Why not pony up a couple million more per year for Murray?

Again, the entire identity of this team has changed. How do you replace 40% of your offense, especially when the entire team revolves around it? If they let Murray walk, they're back to being an 8-8 team with an aging QB and a jackass owner who still has a lot of kick left in him. But Dez will get his so I guess it's ok.

I mean, we are literally, and for the first time realistically, talking about a shot at the Super Bowl for the Dallas Cowboys. What price do you put on that? How many years of salary cap hell would you be willing to endure for a trophy? You figure Jerry Jones would give up his left nut for a super bowl win. But is he smart enough to make the right move when it's right in front of him?

Another item for consideration, in regards to the Dallas running game, is the departure of offensive line coach Bill Callahan.

Though not a personal fan of Callahan's since his Raider days, he has been instrumental in the development of the Dallas offensive line since taking over for Hudson Houck in 2011. He personally worked out Ronald Leary in 2011, leading the team to outbid several others and sign him as an undrafted free agent after news broke of a degenerative condition in Leary's left knee. The next year Callahan traveled to Wisconsin to scout Travis Frederick, and this year didn't even need a private workout to assess Zack Martin. His recommendations led the team to draft both players.

Those kind of home runs are huge when it comes to the offensive line.

Another item for consideration, in regards to the Dallas running game, is the departure of offensive line coach Bill Callahan.

Callahan has been huge here and I was sad to see he and the organization could not work out their differences. The good news is that although Bill leaves for Washington - Smith, Fredrick and Martin stay behind. Frank Pollack moving into his former role is also a plus having worked as Callahan's assistant here the past few years.... I wouldn't worry too much about the line going forward.