Sign in to follow this  
IMMensaMind

++ UPDATE: 4-Game Suspension Upheld - 11 of 12 footballs NE used were deflated 2psi!

Another attempt to smear the Pats by the league. Right before the title game too - what a bunch of morons. Hurt your own super bowl over some garbage controversy :doh:

The balls were discovered deflated at halftime. The article I read doesn't say, but I hope the refs would've re-inflated them to spec before using them in the second half, and warned the Pats they'd be looking closely at them.

17-7 at the half, 28-0 after

My question is this, If the balls were that noticably different then why did the refs not notice? 2 or 3 refs handle the ball on every play.

Also if you look at the stats Brady had worse numbers with the underdeflated balls.

First half: 11-for-21, 52 percent completions, 95 yards, one touchdown, one interception

Second half: 12-for-14, 86 percent completions, 155 yards, two touchdowns, zero interceptions

Patriots in the first half: Outscored the Colts 17-7

Patriots in the second half: Outscored the Colts 28-0

• Like 1

My question is this, If the balls were that noticably different then why did the refs not notice? 2 or 3 refs handle the ball on every play.

Also if you look at the stats Brady had worse numbers with the underdeflated balls.

First half: 11-for-21, 52 percent completions, 95 yards, one touchdown, one interception

Second half: 12-for-14, 86 percent completions, 155 yards, two touchdowns, zero interceptions

I quite agree. Also obviously Brady and Blount must have known something was wrong too because they handled the ball so much. If a Colts player that barely touches the ball can instantly tell something is off, then there is no way ll the refs and NE skill position players can't tell either.

Either everyone was in on it, or it didn't feel any different than it usually does and was well within normal parameters.

The NFL isn't releasing much information. We don't know what the Colt's balls were inflated to either. Rodgers claims the refs always deflate the balls, which he hates since he personally prefers them inflated.

The big question is whether or not the refs did a proper check on the balls before the game. Since they handled each ball before every play and it passed between multiple refs my thoughts are they probably didn't do a proper inspection

Because the refs are all 60+ years old and might not be all there.

Former NFL Official Gerry Austin on Mike and Mike just said all balls were inspected at half time and all 12 Patriots balls where under deflated with 11 being 2 lbs+ less and the Colts balls were fine. He didnt say how he knew that but thats what he said

Former NFL Official Gerry Austin on Mike and Mike just said all balls were inspected at half time and all 12 Patriots balls where under deflated with 11 being 2 lbs+ less and the Colts balls were fine. He didnt say how he knew that but thats what he said

Seems like an easy fix for refs at half time to just switch the balls out. So if that was the case were the balls weighed at the begining of the game or were they tampered with during the game? That question is one that needs to be answered

As someone who was at the game, the big difference in this game is that the refs weren't just putting the ball down for play. They were actually holding the ball in a towel until the center was coming to the line to keep it dry. The refs handled the ball probably 2-3 times more than they normally would.

Can't teams lose with dignity anymore ? First harbaugh and the substitution crap, now the colts and this nonsense. :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

I did the test yesterday and could not really tell much difference. :dunno:

Tried it last night with some friends as well. 2 psi is nothing when dealing with almost anything. Only difference I noticed was that I could squeeze it slightly more. And I mean SLIGHTLY. Not enough to really give an advantage even in the rain

I did the test yesterday and could not really tell much difference. :dunno:

2 psi probably really means 4 psi. Just guessing though. League looks worse when these things come out. Nobody wants that.

If it was noticable to the Colts player, then whatever the psi it must have been pretty significant.

Why the Colts player had to bring it up is what bothers me? Why not the officials?

Once they were called on it, then the officials took action. Before that, probably nothing.

But, when this happened is probably the key? Did the officials just miss it from the start and an oversite by everybody.

The fact is - I sure as hell would want a deflated ball no matter how much. I would have a better grip, tighter spiral, less chance to fumble, softer, etc.

I think they will lose draft pick/or fines. Another shot in the NE armor unfortunaly. Sad. Because it had no meaning to the game.

I'll just be happy when Hawks spank them regardless. :clap:

Note: Why the hell are their different set of balls for each team in the first place? Same balls - Same for everybody

Seems shady to begin with. Let me bring my own basketball to the B-ball game. stupid

2 psi probably really means 4 psi. Just guessing though. League looks worse when these things come out. Nobody wants that.

If it was noticable to the Colts player, then whatever the psi it must have been pretty significant.

Why the Colts player had to bring it up is what bothers me? Why not the officials?

Once they were called on it, then the officials took action. Before that, probably nothing.

But, when this happened is probably the key? Did the officials just miss it from the start and an oversite by everybody.

The fact is - I sure as hell would want a deflated ball no matter how much. I would have a better grip, tighter spiral, less chance to fumble, softer, etc.

I think they will lose draft pick/or fines. Another shot in the NE armor unfortunaly. Sad. Because it had no meaning to the game.

I'll just be happy when Hawks spank them regardless. :clap:

Note: Why the hell are their different set of balls for each team in the first place? Same balls - Same for everybody

Seems shady to begin with. Let me bring my own basketball to the B-ball game. stupid

Well the NFL used to provide and handle the balls. Then Peyton whined and bitched about it, so the teams got the balls. Probably Peyton thought that's why he kept losing playoff games. Either that or it helped him run up regular season stats more that way. Either way, it's all on him. So Peyton's legacy isn't just losing playoff games, it's also creating this pointless controversy. It's also thanks to Peyton that defenders can't even touch WRs.

Peyton has done more harm than good to the purity of the game. He needs to just go away and never come back.

Well the NFL used to provide and handle the balls. Then Peyton whined and bitched about it, so the teams got the balls. Probably Peyton thought that's why he kept losing playoff games. Either that or it helped him run up regular season stats more that way. Either way, it's all on him. So Peyton's legacy isn't just losing playoff games, it's also creating this pointless controversy. It's also thanks to Peyton that defenders can't even touch WRs.

Peyton has done more harm than good to the purity of the game. He needs to just go away and never come back.

The whole defenders can't touch receivers is bs and needs to be revoked. Football is physical and needs to be kept that way. Pass interference is obvious and a different story.

It seems there has been no confirmation that the balls were tested prior to the game. If you can't establish a baseline ball condition that was subsequently tampered with, its an entirely different context than the media lynchmob bs...

Wow, interesting. Never knew Manning was attached to all this. That's bad. The league should for sure control all the balls and go back.

Maybe this is a wake up call. doubt it.

The league gets what they deserve and flat balls are probably the norm in reality I bet.

The league wants offense. They go with anything and everything to help that cause. It's a shame.

Wow, interesting. Never knew Manning was attached to all this. That's bad. The league should for sure control all the balls and go back.

Maybe this is a wake up call. doubt it.

The league gets what they deserve and flat balls are probably the norm in reality I bet.

The league wants offense. They go with anything and everything to help that cause. It's a shame.

I agree that NFL should monitor the balls more closely. After they are tested they need to be kept OUT of the hands of the teams. An nfl appointed attendant should be the one with the balls and away from the team that supplied them. Also, I'm sure the patriots aren't the first team to tweak a football they brought to give them a slight advantage if that even happened. I have yet to see if the officials actually checked the psi of all the footballs prior to the game or if they just gave them a quick look over to make sure they weren't altered in any obvious way

A full 2 lbs below regulation.

That's a lot.

Do you own a NFL football? Go inflate it to 13.5 lbs and then deflate it to 11.5. The difference is huge on the grip.

This. It may not sound like much, but consider automobile tires are inflated to about 30 psi. The tires on a C-130 aircraft are at 85 psi.

It's more than one would think.

Rest of league: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Put on your big boy pants, motherfockers. You got your ass beat by the Patriots - deal with it :bandana:

This. It may not sound like much, but consider automobile tires are inflated to about 30 psi. The tires on a C-130 aircraft are at 85 psi.

It's more than one would think.

Honestly? It's not. Checked it last night and just rechecked it when I got home 30 minutes ago to see if I messed up somehow last night. Same result. There is a difference between the maximum psi a football is allowed and the psi that the balls were checked with. But the minimum standard the footballs are allowed to be inflated with isn't much at all. From what I've been reading it's entirely possible for the weather to have naturally lowered the psi of the football during the game.

2lbs. PSI is about 15%.

The Colts player who intercepted Brady's pass noticed the ball was under inflated. Who thinks Brady didn't know he was playing with an under inflated ball?

Typical Patriots BS, they just can't help themselves.

It's an obvious advantage if Brady has trouble gripping the fully inflated balls in the cold.

Yup, like I said 4 hours ago.

Its the refs who adjust the psi of the ball, its on them unless proven otherwise.

Sorry to spoil the crybaby party kids :(

Let me guess..........the underinflated balls were only an advantage for the Patriots? Does Luck like big balls? or is it that Brady has small balls? I'm confused.

Ha. Just breaking.

Cheaters.

Yeah if the football balls where filled with the right amount of air . I'm sure the score would have been 45 to 10 Colts where cheated the, three extra points . I really don't care .

The balls might not have changed the outcome of the Indy game, but the fact is they 'tried' to cheat when they really didn't need to.

The key is intent, regardless of the outcome. Once a cheat always a cheat. Just because it might not change the outcome, do you just let cheating slide as if nothing happend? I guess some of you guys are ok with a little cheating in your life... Good luck with that

The perfect punishment for the Patriots organization in general, and The Hoody in particular, would be to have to submit to 2 years of NFL Network's show Hard Knocks.

How come noone is saying this is the cheating bowl seeing as how a ton of Seattle players got caught using PEDs after their Super Bowl win last year

I've seen some mention. Most of them got caught long before the Superbowl. It's kinda dumb since the biggest name suspended was Browner who is now with the Pats and I think all but Irvin are not even with Seattle anymore.

The perfect punishment for the Patriots organization in general, and The Hoody in particular, would be to have to submit to 2 years of NFL Network's show Hard Knocks.

:D

Let me guess..........the underinflated balls were only an advantage for the Patriots? Does Luck like big balls? or is it that Brady has small balls? I'm confused.

That is correct. The NE balls were the only under inflated ones. The colts balls were fine. Since they each use their own balls, yes it was only an advantage for the patriots.

They would have won the game either way. The problem is do they only get punished for cheating if it was a close game? I dint think you can go that route.

Yea, the Colts have their own legal balls. Kind of changes things huh?

They have been pushing the envelope on everything. What if they been pulling craps on other games.

I am sure liar only lie once.

What reward should the pats get when proven innocent ?

They get paid millions to entertain us? Or just shits happen in life?

NE fans are ok with it. Got it.

Cheating is part of their culture. It's whAt they do