Sign in to follow this  
ralphster

Bears win coaching carosel

Fox + Fangio + Gase = win! They certainly have their work cut out for them but I'm confident we'll see a quick turn around in the W/L record next year.

edit: sorry carousel

Fox + Fangio + Gase = win! They certainly have their work cut out for them but I'm confident we'll see a quick turn around in the W/L record next year.

Agree

I'm sure Fox isn't a documented two time cheater worms...

But beyond that I don't know if he'll get us 'over the hump'. I think they bring in this caliber of coaching because they're going to keep Jay and try and push this window. If Jay buys in then maybe just maybe. But I can't really see him doing that so when he's sucking I hope Fox jump chokes his ass and then cuts him. I'll take my chances on a rebuild - most of the team is young on the o side.

I'm sure Fox isn't a documented two time cheater worms...

"Documented"? Link please?

And what the fock does that statement have to do with my post or this thread in general?

But hey, enjoy John Fox and Jay Cutler. :lol: Here's a hint: when you get jealous that the Patriots are in the playoffs again next year while your sh!tty team is again sitting at home, it won't be because of any "cheating"

The Bears came out of it pretty well I think. Of course, I also thought Trestman was a good hire so that that for what it's worth.

Are we sure Fox is a good coach? Panthers stunk then he failed to get Denver over the hump :dunno:

Good? I'd say not really, a little better than average. It will be nice after this year's debacle to return to the being an average team but I wanted more. I see some 7,8,9 win seasons with a couple fluke 10-11 win seasons for a wild card. Lovie Smith part 2, basically. Very steady overall, but terrible in game coach and way too conservative.

Gets rid of Cutler and I will love him for awhile.

I would have preferred hiring Bowles. Who knows how he turns out but would have much rather taken the chance of finding a great coach.

I wouldn't call Fox conservative. The Broncos led the NFL in scoring just a year ago. If anything, they relied on the passing game too much in 2013. When he was coaching in Carolina, they had 4 or 5 very good players (of which Fox drafted), and then a lot of middle-of-the-pack type guys. He did very well with a team that had an average QB and only two good defensive players. Even in Carolina, his teams were always competitive. As for his time in Denver.... Well, once you reach the playoffs, it's pretty difficult to win with any QB who can't complete a pass over 15 yards. It's not like Manning was the Manning of 7 or 8 years ago.

One thing the Bears will like is Fox is going to fix both lines. He did it in Carolina and made them one of the top offensive and defensive lines in the league. In Denver, he didn't control the draft, but he still had good play on both lines.

Is he flashy? No. Is he going to make a bad team great? Probably not. Can he take the Bears and make them into a serious playoff threat for 2016? I believe he can. I don't know how 2015 will go as the defense has too many holes to fill in a single season. In Carolina, he did have some very average draft classes. He seemed to hit on his first rounders like Peppers, Gross and Gamble, but missed out on the vast majority of his later picks. They were all role players, nothing special. I don't know if he controlled the draft though. The Superbowl he took them to was on the back of George Seiferts amazing 2001 draft class of Dan Morgan (pro bowl), Kris Jenkins (pro bowl), Steve Smith (pro bowl) and a couple decent undrafted free agents. When these three guys hit their stride, the Panthers had one of the top defensive lines in the NFL, one of the top LB Corps with Morgan and Witherspoon and an excellent trio of WR's with Smith leading the way and Proehl coming in as the third down and slot guy.

I believe Fox is a good head coach. Not great, but certainly better than average. If the GM gives him the talent to work with, he will be fine and the Bears will at least be a playoff contender. I'm in St. Louis and I'd MUCH rather have Fox than Jeff Fisher. At least Fox won't make excuses after a loss. He will take the blame and fix what he can. That's a coach most fans would love to have.

• Like 1

Fox/Gase/Fangio bring a lot of experience and stability to the Bears, which is why I preferred Fox over Bowles. We need offense to match up w GB and DET and the Fox/Gase pairing has proven successful on that side of the ball. I expect this year's draft to be heavy D with a couple splashes on the FA side. Currently I'm curious about the BMarsh rumors. He's worth his contract and affordable, but if he's convinced Cutler is a trick as$ btich then he might have to go.

Which would make Marquess Wilson a nice sleeper candidate...