Sign in to follow this  
drobeski

Mileage/per diem question for a friend.

Friend uses his vehicle for trips to customer facility 17 days, co-worker rides along with friend.

Friend submits weekly his mileage and and .54 cents per mile is put in his paycheck pre tax.

Both partys, friend and coworker are verbally told they'll get per diem.

After job complete coworker gets check for 850 Not taxed for per diem. Friend says hey where is my 850, he is told by payroll lady that he doesn't get it since he submitted mileage, you dont get both and he made out better than coworker because mileage came out to more than the 50 bucks a day coworker got.

Is my buddy getting focked?

He should join a union so they can fight for his rights.

Sounds like it. How many miles a day is he driving and how many days was the job? If he is getting 54 cents a mile and his friend got 850 he'd have to drive 1600 miles not including gas. Do they pay his gas?

Did the per diem cover more than mileage/travel? If so then yeah he got focked. Seems like your buddy should get mileage reimbursement for driving, and they both should get per diem for incidentals.

Sounds like it. How many miles a day is he driving and how many days was the job? If he is getting 54 cents a mile and his friend got 850 he'd have to drive 1600 miles not including gas. Do they pay his gas?

17 days, got 54 ish cents a mile. 120 mile round trip per day. Got 64.50 pretax in check for mileage per day.

Non driver for 50 a day

Driver got nothing or subtract the 50 from the 64.50 he got 14.50 for 120 mile trip and all his money taxed.

Well it was verbal? If he wasn't told mileage is a substitute for per diem, then he should still get it. Per diem is for food and housing, not for gas

Just like I can't claim my food and housing expenditures from my job, because I get per diem, unless I want to pay tax on the per diem.

I can, or could until this year, claim my miles driven. But since it's verbal and he was compensated for gas, who knows if he has a real case, like is it really worth it to pursue?

17 days, got 54 ish cents a mile. 120 mile round trip per day. Got 64.50 pretax in check for mileage per day.

Non driver for 50 a day

Driver got nothing or subtract the 50 from the 64.50 he got 14.50 for 120 mile trip and all his money taxed.

The driver was using his own vehicle and paid for his own gas?

If so he totally got focked.

The driver was using his own vehicle and paid for his own gas?

If so he totally got focked.

that is correct, big boss on vacation this week so will need to address situation with him. He asked payroll lady if he was supposed to eat his tires and wash it down with his gas for his meals. He seemed pretty pissed of. Cow payroll lady has a history of trying to fock him over.

That right there is a proper fock.

Well, since he counts you as a friend, so I'd say yes.

Mike won this thread. :first:

Getting paid for mileage in theory includes the depreciation and wear and tear, it should be more than the per diem

Yeah, that's pretty focked up. As noted, mileage is to cover gas plus wear and tear on the vehicle. Theoretically, you're breaking even if you're paid mileage. Not sure what the Per Diem is for. I assume meals/incidentals. So that's a separate purpose. If I were your buddy I'd tell them if that's the policy I'm never using my car for work again.

Why would a passenger incur any costs.

Ass, Gas, or Cash... nobody rides for free :nono:

Ass, Gas, or Cash... nobody rides for free :nono:

Doesn't work that way. Ass is different.

Mileage is separate from per diem. The cow is focking your buddy over.

There is a per diem rate for combined lodging and meal costs, and a per diem rate for meal costs alone. An
employer may use either per diem method for reimbursing employee travel expenses. A self-employed person
can only use per diem for the meal costs.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-regs/perdiemfaq&a.prn.pdf