Sign in to follow this  
ROCKFORD

Disc golf as social movement: A strategy for growing the sport

Last year, Steve Dodge, Director of the Disc Golf Pro Tour, predicted that disc golf would be bigger than ball golf by 2026.

link

But if this sounds like hippie dippie baloney to you, I have good news. There are at least three strategic (no hippie, no dippie) reasons for growing the sport of disc golf as a social movement.

I'll join if you put a damn shirt on

My wife and I play disc golf a few times a year. It is an excuse to get outside and go for a walk. The course is usually not crowded and unlike real golf, disc golf is dirt cheap. A one time investments of 20 dollars gets you a few discs and you are set for life.

almost thats disc football

I know the difference, shitstain. I've got a disc "golf" course within a mile of my house.

Doesn't matter the name of the game, they're mostly shiftless stoners that smell bad, are usually unemployed, homeless and a burden on society. :mad:

• Like 1

I know the difference, shitstain. I've got a disc "golf" course within a mile of my house.

Doesn't matter the name of the game, they're mostly shiftless stoners that smell bad, are usually unemployed, homeless and a burden on society. :mad:

I check all those boxes, must be why the game is so appealing.

My wife and I play disc golf a few times a year. It is an excuse to get outside and go for a walk. The course is usually not crowded and unlike real golf, disc golf is dirt cheap. A one time investments of 20 dollars gets you a few discs and you are set for life.

Until you split your disc on tree trunk or inadvertently launch it into the gd lake.

i play both. disc golf will never surpass real golf.

maybe professional bowling

There is too much big white money in ball golf so no it won't pass it. The shots are way cooler and everyone can play. Kinda like football to soccer. The game is entrenched into a culture and even though you have those faces like McBeth, Sexton and McMahon to "look" like more than the grunge backyard weed gamer, it will take a lot more to propel it as far as it should be.

I love the sport and first hand seeing the gameplay and creativeness, I think it deserves more but money won't let it.

If there's time after, can we might hack the sack a bit? :(

• Like 1

i started playing disc golf because of a stoner friend I had in college. There was a local course set on the side of a "mountain". He played in an ultimate firsbee league? I think? and some of the stoners he played with got him into disc golf. Either way, I enjoyed it. I started with 1 disc and eventually built a small set (driver, mid range, one for short shots that need big curve and a "putter"). We would bring some beers, 4 or 5 of us would play, during the winter/ice/snow as well.

like i said, i still play every once in a while. Still only use 4 discs. I've tried various ones but I always settle on 4. Im not one of those guys with the little special disc bag. I throw them in an old backpack so I have something to hold my phone, wallett, keys, drink etc.

it doesn't hold real golfs jockstrap. but it's fun and it takes less time. The stigma of stoner guys game will probably never leave it enough to become a top "sport"

as far as everyone being able to play, i've found that while people who are terrible wont get as frustrated as they will trying to play real golf... so in that sense, i agree.

If there's time after, can we might hack the sack a bit? :(

i always keep a hack in my bag. if play is slow we spark one on the tee and kick until the green is clear.

everyone has friends on the course. :thumbsup:

except republicans. :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

i always keep a hack in my bag. if play is slow we spark one on the tee and kick until the green is clear.

everyone has friends on the course. :thumbsup:

except republicans. :thumbsdown:

they're either working or playing real golf, you wouldn't understand either