Sign in to follow this  
madd futher mucker

12 team playoffs - 8 qualify? Or 6 - 1st & 2nd get byes?

ONE SIDE OF THE ARGUMENT:

I HATE 12 team leagues where 8 teams go to the play-offs. Doesn't make any sense to me. Cheapens the playoffs - the playoffs should MEAN something - like a winning record at least.

My 3 leagues (all 12 teamers) have 1st and 2nd place teams on a bye week 14. Our feeling is that if you come in 1st or 2nd, you've accomplished something, and deserve the bye. But if you come in 7th, you deserve to say 'bye' to your season.

THE OTHER SIDE:

I disagree, I commish a 12 team league and have the top 8 make it. I think it's better because you keep more owners interested longer. Instead of owners knowing theyre already eliminated by week 8, they know theres still a chance to make the playoffs and it increases participation & interest among owners, rather than them tanking the season and not setting lineups, etc. I have it set up w/ 2 conferences of 6 teams with 2 divisions of 3 teams in each conference. For each conference, the 2 division winners and 2 wildcards for each conference make the playoffs. It seems to always work out pretty well with playoff battles coming down to the last week. I don't think a team should be penalized if their team is hurting because of injuries etc.

WHAT SAY YOU?

poopy face.

photoshoped.

I just did a search of your posts and they are mostly incoherent having nothing to do with anything. Too bad there aren't active mods on this boards because you should be banned. What are you, a 9 year old? And there are more of your type every year on this board.

I just did a search of your posts and they are mostly incoherent having nothing to do with anything. Too bad there aren't active mods on this boards because you should be banned. What are you, a 9 year old? And ther are more of your type every year on this board

Even that is a waste of time <_<

We do things different, first off its a "all play league", so we all play eachother head to head each week. 12 team league, so each week I go 11-0, of 0-11, or something in between.

Now this year, we decided ###### it, and we are gonna put 10 teams into the playoffs.

1 seed goes STRAIGHT to week 16.

2 and 3 seeds get a bye week 14.

4-10 (7 teams) all play week 14. The 10 seed team starts at 0 for week 14, 9 seed gets a 1 point bonus for each game he is up on the 10 seed. 9-4 the same. Top 4 in week 14 advance to 15. It seems like seed 4 may end up with a 25-35 point advantage against the 10 seed for those 4 top scores week 14...so it does improve your chances to try to win all year long as much as possible.

Week 15 is 1 seed, 2 seed, and top 4 scores (with bonus's factored in....6 teams total in week 15) all play eachother again. No bonus's this time, just straight up.

top 3 scores in week 15 advance to week 16 to face the 1 seed in a 4 man all play championship.

High scorer week 16 gets the most dough as well as declared the chamption. 2 and 3 get paid in lesser increments. Last place scorer week 16 gets nothing...other then declared 4th place :rolleyes:

Its gonna be interesting....like I said, its the first year we did it quite like this.

i side with the 6 team playoff in a 12 team league. I think having 2/3s of the league make the playoffs is a little silly. 6 is perfect. It has the right mix of teams having to perform at least at a +.500 (or 6-7 at least) to make it but at the same time keeps MOST of the teams in it for most of the season. If you are worried about owners tanking games at the end of the season then it just isn't a competitive league.

12 team keeper league. Six of 12 make the playoffs. The top 2 teams get byes in week 14. In order to give the other six teams something to play for, we have a consolation bowl and the winner gets the next year's first pick.

I too like the 6 teams in the playoffs with a bye to the #1 and #2 seeds. A team under a .500 record does not deserve a chance for the :rolleyes:

In my opinion, no more than 4 teams should make the playoffs. You should earn your way into the playoffs with an impressive regular season, not fall into it with a .500 or worse record (much like the NBA's unfortunate system --- 16 teams!!)

In the NFL, 12 teams make the playoffs out of 32. Thats 37.5% of the teams, which is very similiar to the 33% that 4/12 gets you in fantasy football. We're always wanting fantasy leagues to mirror real life football, at least to a degree, so this always made the most sense to me.

NFL is king for a variety of reason, but the importance of weekly games is a big one of those reason, and fantasy should be no different. Letting 50% (or good lord, MORE) into the playoffs cheapens the regular season, and the importance of each matchup.

I like leagues that have 6 teams make the playoffs, and the top two teams or two division winners get 1st round byes. Doesn't matter how many team league it is.

I'm on the "OTHER SIDE", and fu ck everyone else.

Seriously, is there a substantive argument against it? It's always "that's weak/for pus sies"....here's a witty rebuttal: FU CK YOU.

I've been leaning more and more towards the "all play/power ranking" type leagues....records and winning % actually "mean something" in those leagues, and keeps the "luck factor" to a minimum.

we also use a 12 team league. Team 1-2 get byes Teams 3-6 play week 14

we then have a loser playoff

Team 11-12 get byes. Teams 7-10 play week 14.

The Team that wins this bracket gets 1st pick of spot next season.

The Team that wins our superbowl gets last pick of spot next season.

I commish a 12 team keeper league where 8 teams go to the playoffs. 3 divisions where division winners(top 3 seeds) get a cash prize along with high scorer in the regular season.

Bottom 4 teams play for the #1 overall pick in the toilet bowl for the following year.

All 12 teams have something to play for during the playoff weeks. Bye weeks are for suckers, and why waste a week of results....you don't have bye weeks during weeks 1-13, why start it in week 14? If you are worth your salt as a #1 or #2 seed, you should be able to handle the 7 and 8 seeds. It makes it interesting for everyone. I also finds the "pot grows" during those weeks, hell this is all for fun. Everyone should have a shot to play for something.

I play in 12 teamers where 6 teams makes the playoffs, we already have 3-4 teams that have mailed it in with 4 weeks to go. They are still in the hunt but are so distraught, they don't make the effort.

Of course, in our keeper the last 2 years the 8th seed has beaten the #1 seed.

In my opinion, no more than 4 teams should make the playoffs. You should earn your way into the playoffs with an impressive regular season, not fall into it with a .500 or worse record (much like the NBA's unfortunate system --- 16 teams!!)

In the NFL, 12 teams make the playoffs out of 32. Thats 37.5% of the teams, which is very similiar to the 33% that 4/12 gets you in fantasy football. We're always wanting fantasy leagues to mirror real life football, at least to a degree, so this always made the most sense to me.

NFL is king for a variety of reason, but the importance of weekly games is a big one of those reason, and fantasy should be no different. Letting 50% (or good lord, MORE) into the playoffs cheapens the regular season, and the importance of each matchup.

I agree; letting "too many" teams into the playoffs lessens the value of the regular season record. I'm commissioner of a 12 team league (head-head)with three divisions (4 teams each of course), each division winner advances to the playoffs and a wild card (team with the best record that doesn't win a division). The 4 team playoff format has worked well for us for 8 years now.

Additionally, we have a consolation bowl for the 8 teams that do no make the playoffs.