Sign in to follow this  
FlaHawker

It's an EXCITING Time to be a Seahawks Fan

Well the offseason is off to an interesting start:

Seahawks fire OC Jeremy Bates

MyNorthwest.com staff

The Seahawks have fired offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates after one season.

Michael Lombardi of NFL Network first reported the firing, which has been confirmed by the team.

The firing comes two days after the Seahawks offense struggled in a 35-24 loss to Chicago in the NFC divisional round, punting on its first eight possessions and failing to score until a third-quarter field goal.

Seattle ranked near the bottom of the NFL during the regular season in yards per game (28th), points (23rd), passing yards per game (19th) and rushing yards per game (31st).

Bates, 34, was hired last January after spending a year with Pete Carroll at USC. He was also an assistant with the Broncos, Jets and Buccaneers.

Mike Sando of ESPN.com speculates that former Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels could be a candidate to replace Bates.

http://www.mynorthwest.com/category/seahawks_blog_posts/20110118/Report:-Seahawks-fire-OC-Jeremy-Bates/

Josh McDaniels rumored to be coming to town as OC.

Discuss Hawk fans!

Whichever team gets Josh McDaniels as O.C. will have a very good offense going forward. Good luck.

Whichever team gets Josh McDaniels as O.C. will have a very good offense going forward. Good luck.

I wonder if brining in McD would also be a precursor to bringing in Orton or Tebow.

I wonder if brining in McD would also be a precursor to bringing in Orton or Tebow.

That's an interesting possibility I hadn't thought of. I could see that happening. I think Hasselbeck could run whatever is implemented, but since he's getting older and seems to have injury risks, it would be a good idea probably to get Orton or Tebow or another QB with the ability and potential to be a franchise type QB (Kolb maybe).

That's an interesting possibility I hadn't thought of. I could see that happening. I think Hasselbeck could run whatever is implemented, but since he's getting older and seems to have injury risks, it would be a good idea probably to get Orton or Tebow or another QB with the ability and potential to be a franchise type QB (Kolb maybe).

The future stud QB is already on the roster, and his name is Charlie Whitehurst. :bandana:

Wow! I thought it would be Gus Bradley getting the axe. I like McD as an OC, I like him even more if we bring in Orton or Tebow.

I can't imagine Bates being out of a job long. I think he did a good job with what he had to work with. Along with Alex Gibbs quitting before the season started, I suppose there was a little tension amongst Seattle coaches.

Wow, its been a crazy year for Seahawks fans. :wacko:

Wow! I thought it would be Gus Bradley getting the axe. I like McD as an OC, I like him even more if we bring in Orton or Tebow.

I can't imagine Bates being out of a job long. I think he did a good job with what he had to work with. Along with Alex Gibbs quitting before the season started, I suppose there was a little tension amongst Seattle coaches.

Wow, its been a crazy year for Seahawks fans. :wacko:

Well, it is still early so here's hoping Bradley gets the axe :cheers: Two years of watching his D is enough! Well, not sure what Elway and Fox think of Tebow or Orton, but if one of those guys were to find his way to Seattle, that would be an easy transition to a McD's run offense. As a gator Alum, I would love to see Tebow, but think the price would be too high!

I wonder if Bates leaving helps or hurts Hass's chances of returning?

I am surprised by the move of firing Bates. We will get the fourth OC in four years. Tough for continuity.

Um, I wouldn't trade a bucket of spit for Tebow. Other than the Mannings, name one other QB in the NFL from the SEC that is worth a dam. Fine, you want to name Cutler, whatever. Name anybody else. I just did a quick once over the starters in this league. There aren't any. None. Zero. Zip. Stafford is a bust. And nobody else starts.

SEC quarterbacks are not good. I don't like Tebow. You cannot win a Superbowl with a QB that can't throw the ball out of the pocket. How did that Michael Vick experiment work out? Vince Young?

If we draft Cam Newton, people will die. Oh, many, many people will die.

5 maybe 6 wins next year. I'll bump this later.

:thumbsup:

If we draft Cam Newton, people will die. Oh, many, many people will die.

Some one will grab Newton long before 25. I think people are safe :thumbsup:

5 maybe 6 wins next year. I'll bump this later.

:thumbsup:

No need to bump anything. This thread will have 100 pages and 5 million views.

Unless you mean reply. Eh, whatever. I got iced in today, and drank the day away.

Apparently Jim Zorn is another leading candidate for OC.

McDaniels has to pretty much be a done deal. Otherwise, I dont think they sh!tcan Bates.

The Rams weren't willing to go very deep into their wallets for him. That wont be a problem for Paul Allen.

Very interesting. I'm still shocked, but remembering things such as the QB sneak in the San Diego game at the end of the 1st half with no timeouts that cost a chance at a field goal in a tight game...that might have been the biggest head scratcher of the year for me. Also, having a majority of our playbook geared around 2 TE sets when you only have 2 active TE's (and only one of them can block) going into the Bears game was pretty bush league as well.

This offseason should be just as interesting as last years. B)

Soooo, basically we were leverage for him getting more money in St. Louis. Focking fantastic. Spags running the D, McD running the offense. They have the only young/upside QB in the division and the 14th pick in the draft.

Fan-focking-tastic :wall:

Hopefully Cable can still be landed as o-line coach.

Cable hired as O-line Coach

This makes me feel a little better.

They also added Todd Wash (D Line coach) from Tampa which tells me Gus Bradley is going to return :thumbsdown: Oh and what was the Bucs weakest link on the D last year? That's right. D line. Great hire :thumbsdown:

They also added Todd Wash (D Line coach) from Tampa which tells me Gus Bradley is going to return :thumbsdown: Oh and what was the Bucs weakest link on the D last year? That's right. D line. Great hire :thumbsdown:

Sweet Jesus. Three weeks from the Superbowl and the roller coaster is already in full swing. :(

Sweet Jesus. Three weeks from the Superbowl and the roller coaster is already in full swing. :(

Ya gotta love it!! ;)

Cable hired as O-line Coach

This makes me feel a little better.

I like the Cable move. Any guy that can improve the Raiders with that crazy old bat breathing down his neck has to have some ability. I wonder oif he will push to sign Robert Gallery (UFA). I would love a LT/LG tandem of Okung and Gallery! That would be sweet! :doublethumbsup:

Bates was the guy in such demand last year and such a coup that he went to Seattle instead of Chicago. Strange that he is gone so quick. I thought he was Carroll's buddy? Hard to blame the coach with all of the dropped passes this past week.

But, you did dodge a bullet with McDaniels going elsewhere. he did more to set Denver back in one year than any coach I have ever seen. His ego seemed to be enormous, but maybe he has been humbled now. Better off with someone else imo.

I don't understand the Bates thing either. The playoff push was some of the BEST play calling I have seen in a long long time. New plays, exiting plays, and some real nice stuff at the end of the year.

There were mistakes made earlier, but nothing that bad plus we don't have a whole lot on this team that you can do much with anyway.

Unless he lost some control at the end of the year and why things were different then I don't understand it? He was a young guy too that should only get better. I'm dissapointed!!!

IF anybody needed to go its the Def coordinator. He sucks. Our Def sucks in a big way! That spot should have been the one replaced.

I DO like the Cable signing. I think I would have rather liked him more coming in to run our Def maybe. Something needs to change on Def though. I'd say it starts with the coordinator.

From persistent rumors, Bates supposedly was a tough guy to work with. He was the reason Alex Gibbs quit as Oline coach before the season started. He refused to tailor any of the offense to personnel, but wanted to run his offense with who was available. As we have come to know, he built his offense for the Bear's playoff game around Carlson and Morrah, and both got hurt. There was no Plan B and left about 15% of the gameplan available.

Carroll wanted somebody more in tune with his personality I guess. They blame Bates for the lack of progress with Golden Tate, but truth is that Tate didn't work hard either.

From persistent rumors, Bates supposedly was a tough guy to work with. He was the reason Alex Gibbs quit as Oline coach before the season started. He refused to tailor any of the offense to personnel, but wanted to run his offense with who was available. As we have come to know, he built his offense for the Bear's playoff game around Carlson and Morrah, and both got hurt. There was no Plan B and left about 15% of the gameplan available.

Carroll wanted somebody more in tune with his personality I guess. They blame Bates for the lack of progress with Golden Tate, but truth is that Tate didn't work hard either.

Interesting... Well, if this is the case then I could more understand. A good Coordinator should always be able to adjust and be open to changing up with a new game plan.

I agree Tate is probably as much to blame as anybody, but I was really surprised they didnt include him in more packages. He is supposed to be so great with the ball in space, and I saw no effort at all to do that earlier in the season. I was glad to see them finally running some screens with him super late in the year.

Bates was the guy in such demand last year and such a coup that he went to Seattle instead of Chicago. Strange that he is gone so quick. I thought he was Carroll's buddy? Hard to blame the coach with all of the dropped passes this past week.

But, you did dodge a bullet with McDaniels going elsewhere. he did more to set Denver back in one year than any coach I have ever seen. His ego seemed to be enormous, but maybe he has been humbled now. Better off with someone else imo.

I was more then ok with McDaniels coming in simply as an offensive coordinator. He's a cocky, slimy, douchefock, but he's also a genius when it comes to running an offense </hyperbole>. I think the Rams and Bradford will take a giant step forward with him next season.

Now looking on the positive side of things, if the rumors that Philly brought up are true, maybe McDaniels would have been an even worse problem then Bates. :dunno:

Where is the excitement?

:sleep:

I'm curious to see how Tom Cable fits as Assistant Head Coach, not just offensive line coach. How does this impact the offensive coordinator position, and potential future power struggles. I can't imagine you could get any kind of high profile guy for the OC position with questionable flexibility. We will end up with somebody we never heard of.

I'm curious to see how Tom Cable fits as Assistant Head Coach, not just offensive line coach. How does this impact the offensive coordinator position, and potential future power struggles. I can't imagine you could get any kind of high profile guy for the OC position with questionable flexibility. We will end up with somebody we never heard of.

I dont necessarily think that is a bad thing. I'd rather give a young, up-and-comer a shot then hire a moldy retread like Chilly, etc. McDaniels is the only big name I was interested in.

Flahawker after spending all your time talking about how the seahawks were going to upset the bears i was confident you would stop spamming our boards with seapigeon propaganda.

They suck!

The planets are NOT aligning for the SEAHAWKS.

Care free carrol is loose! watch out bears! (howd that work out for ya)

Beast Mode lynch with LESS yards than he had CARRIES! Never a good sign.

Flahawker after spending all your time talking about how the seahawks were going to upset the bears i was confident you would stop spamming our boards with seapigeon propaganda.

They suck!

There is always an official Seahawks thread. There's never a Bears thread because most the Bears fans here only show up when you're winning. Hawks fans are just as active on this board whether the team is winning or losing. After the Bears get smoked this weekend most of you guys will follow Sweetness back down into the Sewers.

They suck!

You and your 64 posts are dumb. You should know what you are talking about before you post. At least you'll appear somewhat smarter.

Do you really think he was fired based soley on the Bear game? :blink:

I've heard Bevell from the Vikings is too.

Darrell Bevell as the new OC is just about a done deal. I don't really like this move. I wasn't a fan of Minnesota's offense. But I guess Childress ran that until he got canned.

The moving and shaking continues.

Darrell Bevell as the new OC is just about a done deal. I don't really like this move. I wasn't a fan of Minnesota's offense. But I guess Childress ran that until he got canned.

The moving and shaking continues.

The excitement continues

boner!

:banana: