Sign in to follow this  
Kelvarr

Calvin Johnson to retire?

He wont. They rarely do when there is millions of dollars still on the table. Its usually an athlete in decline who isnt ready to accept it yet.

The beat writers who regularly talk to him believe that he is going to retire. I would like to see him stick around personally, but if he is really that beat up, it makes sense to retire and save your body. He has more than enough money.

He's been beat up the past couple years, so it could be frustration/burn out.

But he's made a crapload of money, so he easily could call it quits. If so, does that make him the biggest "what if" player since Bo?

But he's made a crapload of money, so he easily could call it quits. If so, does that make him the biggest "what if" player since Bo?

Maybe. He still had a decent career as far as length wise. I think we all know he could have been right at the top of all the receiver stats for a career if he wouldnt have to deal with the injuries.

How is Megatron a "what if?" player? He is possibly already a Hall of Fame guy. Very few players have a 4-5 run stretch as the consensus no doubt best player at their position.....Unless your "What if?" question involves wondering how high up the all time stat sheets he could have went. But i think Barry Sanders beats him there, as I think he gets to 20,000 yards easy if he plays it out.

That being said, Megatron aint retiring. This is just a confluence of the season just ending and him being beat up, him seeing the number 30 by his age, his team not being a contender, and the fact that all the talk is about reducing his salary number.........................I do think he needs to be moved though. Put him on a contender in the right type of offense, and he will be rejuvenated.

Thank you , and now so long .

I'd love to see him in a Packer uniform next year. With Jordy Nelson returning, we might have a functional offense in GB again...

I think it's a leverage push. He knows the Lions don't want to/cant pay him 16 million next year. So he's out with some retirement talk to create some leverage hoping that he can force his way out of DET and play his last couple years with a contender.

I'd love to see him in a Packer uniform next year. With Jordy Nelson returning, we might have a functional offense in GB again...

Are you the ghost of Al Davis?

Getting Megatron or any solid WR should be the least of their worries and yours. Megatron doesn't change much. Rebuild that Oline or at the very least add a few pieces. Lacy should shed 20-30 pounds and learn to run again. Although a better O-line will help him either way.

But Megatron doesn't completely fix Rodgers from having to run for his life and take a beating every game.

Megatron should go to New England. The one thing they lack is any semblance of a deep threat.

I Agree , it worked out pretty good when they brought in Moss way back when , I can see that move working out .

He wont. They rarely do when there is millions of dollars still on the table. Its usually an athlete in decline who isnt ready to accept it yet.

Detroit isn't paying him that kind of money, not with the cap hit it entails. He'll have to restructure or face getting cut. But if he does get cut maybe he can go play somewhere he can actually win. Or perhaps a trade with restructured contract could be worked out.

Would love to see him in NE next year but it's a pipe dream

Welcome to the Lions! On the off chance you land a hall of fame talent, they will retire before the end of their prime (though Calvin looked bad this year).

ESPN Link

Detroit Lions star receiver Calvin Johnson told his family and a close circle of friends before last season that 2015 would be his final year in the NFL, and he delivered the same message to coach Jim Caldwell the day after the regular season ended, sources told ESPN.

Caldwell told Johnson not to rush his decision -- to take his time, sources told ESPN. Out of respect to Caldwell, Johnson agreed to do just that, according to sources.

The Lions have not given up hope that Johnson could change his mind, but one person who knows Johnson well said, "He's pretty content with his decision."

Welcome to the Lions! On the off chance you land a hall of fame talent, they will retire before the end of their prime (though Calvin looked bad this year).

The end of his prime was 2013.

Do they have a Fountain of Youth on Boston Commons? Putting on a Pats jersey won't get him on the field. Dude is beat up.

Christ I wish he would've retired in 2011, before he tore the Raiders a new arsehole in the season finale and Huey Jackson's last game.

How he is handling it does not make much sense to me. If he retires, he will owe the Lions $3.2M and, if you think that they won't try and get it back, ask Barry Sanders.

If he just waits and is ready for OTA's and camp, then the Lions will have to either cut him or pay him $26M, which they won't do. If he gets cut, he does not owe that $3.2M back AND he can go to any team that he wants if he changes his mind on retirement.

Someone needs to tell Calvin to just ride it out.

How he is handling it does not make much sense to me. If he retires, he will owe the Lions $3.2M and, if you think that they won't try and get it back, ask Barry Sanders.

If he just waits and is ready for OTA's and camp, then the Lions will have to either cut him or pay him $26M, which they won't do. If he gets cut, he does not owe that $3.2M back AND he can go to any team that he wants if he changes his mind on retirement.

Until he files the paperwork, the Lions have to account for his salary. If he takes his time (which he appears to be doing), by the time free agency comes around, the Lions will have to make some tough decisions.

Until he files the paperwork, the Lions have to account for his salary. If he takes his time (which he appears to be doing), by the time free agency comes around, the Lions will have to make some tough decisions.

If he was getting good advice, they would tell him to keep his mouth shut about retiring - to family, friends and certainly the Lions. The Lions are going to encourage him to retire because then they can save the cap space, keep his rights, and they can go after that $3.2M.

My guess is that he is dealing with the exact same situation that Sanders was. Great player on a crappy team with a culture of losing, coming off a non-playoff season. It can wear on you and make the game not fun or not worth it. Enough to walk away from millions of dollars.

If he was getting good advice, they would tell him to keep his mouth shut about retiring - to family, friends and certainly the Lions. The Lions are going to encourage him to retire because then they can save the cap space, keep his rights, and they can go after that $3.2M.

My guess is that he is dealing with the exact same situation that Sanders was. Great player on a crappy team with a culture of losing, coming off a non-playoff season. It can wear on you and make the game not fun or not worth it. Enough to walk away from millions of dollars.

Maybe he's trying to force a trade? :dunno:

I think it's a leverage push. He knows the Lions don't want to/cant pay him 16 million next year. So he's out with some retirement talk to create some leverage hoping that he can force his way out of DET and play his last couple years with a contender.

this is exactly my take on it. his cap number is $24M, and stafford's is $22M. by talking about retirement, he's trying to force DET to cut him (and save $11M on the cap). if they don't cut him, all he has to do is to show up and collect his paycheck.

Maybe he's trying to force a trade? :dunno:

any trade partner would have to pick up his contract, which no one is going to want to do for a beaten-up guy on the wrong side of 30 with questionable motivation. this is about getting cut, in which case he can call the shots.

any trade partner would have to pick up his contract, which no one is going to want to do for a beaten-up guy on the wrong side of 30 with questionable motivation. this is about getting cut, in which case he can call the shots.

No one will take his current contract, but his age has nothing to do with anything. He's not anywhere close to the age of Steve Smith, Boldin, or Andre Johnson. And if somehow, some way he wants to play for cheaper, every team in the NFL would line up trying to get his services.

Sounds like he just doesn't want to play anymore ... why go through the motions?

Sounds like he just doesn't want to play anymore ... why go through the motions?

Ummm. Let me see. He has 3.2M reasons to "go through the motions", which does not require him to do anything. His agent is there to counsel him on what will be best for him both in the short-term and long-term. Ride it out, have them cut you and you will have $3.2M extra in your pocket and, if you change your mind, you can go to any team that you want.

In what rational world would you not do that? The Lions are not likely to be able to keep Calvin on the books at $24M in cap money, so they will ask him to restructure. He only has to say "no" and then they will cut him or he could then decide to retire. He has not had to do anything during that period of time, so why not just see what the Lions do first?

Its easy for a professional athlete to be burned out immediately following the season. But wait until June when the NFL grind is starting. That's when so many of these guys on the fence realize football is all they've ever known, and its easier said than done to walk away.

Its easy for a professional athlete to be burned out immediately following the season. But wait until June when the NFL grind is starting. That's when so many of these guys on the fence realize football is all they've ever known, and its easier said than done to walk away.

You also just described a good portion of fantasy footballers. ;)

• Like 1

Won't happen.

Could restructure as part of the trade. But yes, getting cut works too. Point is he may want of Detroit more than he wants to actually retire

No one will take his current contract, but his age has nothing to do with anything. He's not anywhere close to the age of Steve Smith, Boldin, or Andre Johnson. And if somehow, some way he wants to play for cheaper, every team in the NFL would line up trying to get his services.

his age relates directly to his injury situation. a man's body physically peaks at 25-27. by the time you hit 30, your ability to resist chronic injury and recover from any injury is substantially degraded. none of the players listed make even half of CJ's number, for precisely this reason.

yes, many teams would be interested if they could get him at a truly massive discount--that's a trivial truth. the point is that they would refuse to pick up his current contract, which means that DET has no leverage at all.

How about the Patriots , any chance?

How about the Patriots , any chance?

lets hope... Need to put all the chips in the middle of the table for next year

lets hope... Need to put all the chips in the middle of the table for next year

This. Brady may think he's playing til 45 but the drop off will come and it will come quick. All in for one more :first: