Sign in to follow this  
KingOfTheJungle

Top 10 Rookies in 2016

jury is out until we see who the chiefs draft

RB...E. Elliot, A. Collins, D. Cook, D. Booker, T. Henry

WR...L. Treadwell, T. Boyd, T. Dural, M. Thomas, C. Coleman

Of course a lot depends on where guys end up.

The top ten fantasy producing rookies , will be the ones that score the most points next season . Happy New Year .

Meh. This looks to me to be the most underwhelming draft class I can remember. My favorite wr and te both went back to school ( I didn't see that coming ).

Their doesn't seem to be a can't miss prospect at qb. Some guys have peeked my interest, but certainly not anyone I'd use a first rounder on ( 12 team Dyno ).

And at Rb, all the kids who seem to have game breaking potential aren't eligible this year.

I think I'm gonna end up trading out for a first next year. But as always, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

I do have a man crush on 1 kid, and with the 7th pick, at this stage of the game, thats right about his destination. Say the 4 to 12 area.

But otherwise, I'm looking ahead.

I think Will Fuller might be the "overlooked" WR coming out in this draft that ends up breaking onto the scene next year. Dude is blazing fast.

1. Laquon Treadwell Mississippi WR 6'3 215

2. Ezekiel Elliot Ohio State RB 6'0 200

3. Derrick Henry Alabama RB 6'3 243

4. Corey Coleman Baylor WR 5'11 190

5. Michael Thomas Ohio State WR 6'3 203

6. Josh Doctson TCU WR 6'4 190

7. Tyler Boyd Pittsburgh WR 6'2 185

8. Devontae Booker Utah RB 5'11 203

9. Will Fuller Notre Dame WR 6'0 180

10. Pharoh Cooper South Carolina WR 5'11" 201

11. De'Runnya Wilson Mississippi State WR 6'5 215

12. Alex Collins Arkansas RB 5'11 206

I am all-in on Collins....wherever he lands.

Was all over David Johnson this year, and I believe Collins is even better.

I can only pray that drafters sleep on him.

I am all-in on Collins....wherever he lands.

Was all over David Johnson this year, and I believe Collins is even better.

I can only pray that drafters sleep on him.

Collins is interesting....................... but it was clear that David Johnson had feature RB size and I'm not sure its the case with A.C.

I have seen Collins listed at several places with different weights ranging from 5 11 205 to 5 11 215, he doesn't look that thick from the waist down. He's not a thin by any stretch but something about his build seems non-prototypical. There have been many NFL stars that don't fit in the box, J. Charles for instance but since you seem to have good feel for Collins just trying to get your thoughts.

For reference DJ weighed at the combine 6 1 224 and is now listed at 6 1 225. He has a thick lower half, there was no doubt at all in my mind about DJ having the build to hand a feature RB load at some point, if anything I had concern he might be a bit to tall to get through holes and take more hits.

Are you that confident Collins has the size/build necessary to handle 20-25 touches a week over the course of a season at some point in the future?

lesjroza, on 18 Jan 2016 - 10:08 PM, said:

Are you that confident Collins has the size/build necessary to handle 20-25 touches a week over the course of a season at some point in the future?

Yes. BTW, I am not a razorback fan, so there is no homerism in play here.

Interestingly, you were in the minority in regards to DJ. Most analysts, despite his size, didn't believe he was a powerback who could handle an NFL load, but only considered him an Ellington-type of back with good hands but unable to move the pile. This includes analysts here on the bored:

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=444461&hl=

Admittedly, Collins hasn't caught balls outta the backfield like DJ, but I do believe that he has that capability. I watched many of his games this season, and was left with that impression that I always search for. The same impression that DJ gave me. The kid is a football player. In the toughest conference in college football, he averaged nearly 6 ypc and put up over 100 yards on LSU, Ole Miss, and Auburn...and only got stronger as the year progressed, going 30/130/3 against Mizzou and 23/185/3 against K-State, with a 68 yard kick return also thrown in there.

He has great vision, is quick to the hole, never quits on a run, and has good speed in the open field. His running style actually reminds me of Lynch....a real banger that keeps fighting for yards....often successfully. I believe he has sufficient size/build for an NFL back....around 215 before an NFL strength coach gets ahold of him. If you watched him play much, you realize that he actually has incredible lower body strength.

Of course, where he lands makes a difference....but with injuries to RB's nearly a given, we have to look deeper. With rookies, I am looking for guys that are not as highly touted but equitably talented, as to gain maximum value in drafts....and I believe Collins is that guy.

• Like 1

Yes. BTW, I am not a razorback fan, so there is no homerism in play here.

Interestingly, you were in the minority in regards to DJ. Most analysts, despite his size, didn't believe he was a powerback who could handle an NFL load, but only considered him an Ellington-type of back with good hands but unable to move the pile. This includes analysts here on the bored:

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=444461&hl=

Admittedly, Collins hasn't caught balls outta the backfield like DJ, but I do believe that he has that capability. I watched many of his games this season, and was left with that impression that I always search for. The same impression that DJ gave me. The kid is a football player. In the toughest conference in college football, he averaged nearly 6 ypc and put up over 100 yards on LSU, Ole Miss, and Auburn...and only got stronger as the year progressed, going 30/130/3 against Mizzou and 23/185/3 against K-State, with a 68 yard kick return also thrown in there.

He has great vision, is quick to the hole, never quits on a run, and has good speed in the open field. His running style actually reminds me of Lynch....a real banger that keeps fighting for yards....often successfully. I believe he has sufficient size/build for an NFL back....around 215 before an NFL strength coach gets ahold of him. If you watched him play much, you realize that he actually has incredible lower body strength.

Of course, where he lands makes a difference....but with injuries to RB's nearly a given, we have to look deeper. With rookies, I am looking for guys that are not as highly touted but equitably talented, as to gain maximum value in drafts....and I believe Collins is that guy.

I'm not sure anybody questioned whether DJ had the size to handle feature duties. There were valid concerns about his ability to run inside based on tape evaluation. I could also see the reason for those concerns because he chose the path of least resistance on most of his runs. It wasn't clear he had the ability, and he definitely did not show the mind-set in college to get the tough yards on a regular basis. Bruce Arians engrained in him from day 1 he was going to have to run inside.

Collins will not be off the radar as DJ was last spring. Unless he has a poor combine he is already to be slated in the mid-upper half of the 1st round of early dynasty drafts. Landing place can put a premium or discount on that of few slots but he is too talented to drop down out of the 1st for instance, and I think size is enough of a question that he isn't going to hop over Ezekiel Elliot (6 225) or the big WRs no matter the landing slot. Dallas maybe, for instance, could get him into the conversation as high as 4 but I think 6-8 is where it looks right now. In any case the wish he is off the radar isn't going to happen he's already a premium pick.

I'm not sure anybody questioned whether DJ had the size to handle feature duties.

In my last comment I stated that "despite his size, most analysts didn't consider him a powerback". In the link that I posted, I gave an example of this.

There were valid concerns about his ability to run inside based on tape evaluation. I could also see the reason for those concerns because he chose the path of least resistance on most of his runs. It wasn't clear he had the ability, and he definitely did not show the mind-set in college to get the tough yards on a regular basis.

Those were not my observations at all. I must have been watching a different David Johnson in college. After all, it is a very common name. Yes, he wisely sought the path of least resistance, unless someone was in the hole....then he would try to run them over.

Collins will not be off the radar as DJ was last spring. . In any case the wish he is off the radar isn't going to happen he's already a premium pick.

Time will tell. A lot can and will happen between now and then. Still a good chance he offers great value over the bigger names. Kinda hoping he doesn't have a great combine.

I'm not sure anybody questioned whether DJ had the size to handle feature duties. There were valid concerns about his ability to run inside based on tape evaluation. I could also see the reason for those concerns because he chose the path of least resistance on most of his runs. It wasn't clear he had the ability, and he definitely did not show the mind-set in college to get the tough yards on a regular basis. Bruce Arians engrained in him from day 1 he was going to have to run inside.

Collins will not be off the radar as DJ was last spring. Unless he has a poor combine he is already to be slated in the mid-upper half of the 1st round of early dynasty drafts. Landing place can put a premium or discount on that of few slots but he is too talented to drop down out of the 1st for instance, and I think size is enough of a question that he isn't going to hop over Ezekiel Elliot (6 225) or the big WRs no matter the landing slot. Dallas maybe, for instance, could get him into the conversation as high as 4 but I think 6-8 is where it looks right now. In any case the wish he is off the radar isn't going to happen he's already a premium pick.

I completely disagree that there was any valid concern about his inside running. A few sources said it and everyone ran with it. I said it was bull crap from the beginning. He played at a smaller school that wasnt great on the oline against better competition. If a player is getting hit in the backfield every other time he touches the ball he may try to look to bounce it to the outside more instead of ramming into the line. Like i said, how many rbs who are adverse to running between the tackles in college all of a sudden gain the heart necessary to do it once they get to even stiffer competition? It just doesnt happen that way usually. Djohns always had it in him, people were either scouting it wrong themselves, or were just parroting bad info.

Treadwell cemented his #1 status to me with his bowl game performance. He's slightly ahead of Zeke Elliot at this point. Of course it all depends on where they go.

An interesting guy to watch is Josh Doctson. He's another Keenan Allen type to me where if he goes to the right situation, he might quickly become the #1 target.

I can't get too crazy over Derrick Henry. While I think he's the best Bama back of the last couple of years I'm not sure he has the speed needed to be a game breaker in the NFL. I think he's this year's Melvin Gordon only he'll probably get drafted even higher.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Tyler Boyd ended up bring the best WR in this class.

Sterling Shepard.

I completely disagree that there was any valid concern about his inside running. A few sources said it and everyone ran with it. I said it was bull crap from the beginning. He played at a smaller school that wasnt great on the oline against better competition. If a player is getting hit in the backfield every other time he touches the ball he may try to look to bounce it to the outside more instead of ramming into the line. Like i said, how many rbs who are adverse to running between the tackles in college all of a sudden gain the heart necessary to do it once they get to even stiffer competition? It just doesnt happen that way usually. Djohns always had it in him, people were either scouting it wrong themselves, or were just parroting bad info.

Agree to disagree on this FBN, or maybe not.......we might not being saying much different in reality.

If you are saying it was clear DJ would take the 4 yd gain by running where the lane was intended when the situation called for it, I would disagree. If you are saying it isn't valid to have a concern he may not do it in the NFL as well since he didn't in college, I disagree.

Now if you are saying just because he didn't do it in college doesn't mean he wouldn't in the NFL, with that I can agree. There can be lots of reasons a player does more at the NFL level including but not limited to personal/professional growth and coaching. Some may disagree but I even think its valid that a player with DJs natural ability playing at Northern Iowa might have it in their best interest to do their best to make it through their college career healthy, so they can be sure to make it to playing on Sundays in one piece and I wouldn't blame them for having it as an important priority.........maybe banging themselves full speed into other big fast human beings isn't the best route all things considered.

In fact I don't think his college tape (running the ball) was that much different than Bryce Brown, though Brown's tape was more limited. BB is a good example because that's what can happen if a guy with all the necessary tools doesn't flip the switch or grow. In all honesty, I think from draft position you can infer the NFL had concerns as well, because players with DJs metrics, no injuries, and no known off-field concerns don't last until that point in the draft if they show everything teams are looking for on tape.

You got it right and to the victor go the spoils, congrats FBN! If you hadn't taken him at 1.11 in Dyno its very possible I would have ended up with him in the 2nd round, as I did in Zeal, because although I feel it was valid to have concern, neither did I think the book was already written.

And by the way, I'm not sure it is written at this point. The Cardinals passing game had resulted in massive running lanes earlier in the year, reminiscent of when teams were scared of Peyton. Now with all the success DJ had on the ground the Ds have tightened up and he is no longer running wild. It will be interesting to see how his career progresses and if he can be as effective running the ball going forward as he is in the passing game.

Perhaps we need a few more DJ threads. This is the 2016 rookie thread? :wave:

Ezekiel Elliott has passed all my eye tests. Runs with great vision and instinct, low pad level, excellent footwork. Like most young players he's got to work on pass pro, but I don't buy the knock that he doesn't catch well - he didn't get much opportunity to do so with the Buckeyes.

I don't put too much stock into combine numbers, but where he's drafted will impact his value and draft position. If he goes to the Texans in the last first (as Walter Football is mocking him) that would be a nice landing spot. Dallas would be even better. :)

Perhaps we need a few more DJ threads. This is the 2016 rookie thread? :wave:

Ezekiel Elliott has passed all my eye tests. Runs with great vision and instinct, low pad level, excellent footwork. Like most young players he's got to work on pass pro, but I don't buy the knock that he doesn't catch well - he didn't get much opportunity to do so with the Buckeyes.

I don't put too much stock into combine numbers, but where he's drafted will impact his value and draft position. If he goes to the Texans in the last first (as Walter Football is mocking him) that would be a nice landing spot. Dallas would be even better. :)

It will be very interesring to see how a running backs draft stock is affected by Dallas. It also seems that when we find a good oline that within a few years free agency removes many of the stars that made it great, leaving owners wondering "what the hell happened to this oline that was awesome 2 years ago?"

I don't put too much stock into combine numbers, but where he's drafted will impact his value and draft position. If he goes to the Texans in the last first (as Walter Football is mocking him) that would be a nice landing spot.

Funny that you suggested Houston...that's precisely where I want him to go

Ezekiel Elliott (RB – Ohio State) – Houston Texans

It has been reported that the Texans are going to be releasing running back Arian Foster

Well, it just so happens that one of the best running backs in the draft could be available at the 22nd pick. Elliott was a former high school sprinter and hurdler in the state of Missouri. He has top-end speed (see his 80 yard touchdown run against Virginia Tech this past year) but also demonstrates great patience allowing his lanes to form. Urban Meyer’s Buckeye offense ran many inside zone runs along with counters. While the Texans aren’t using zone blocking as much as they used to in the run game, Elliott would allow a seamless transition from Foster.

If Henry goes to Houston or Dallas, he'll become the dynasty draft darling of the year.

Also fools gold. I'll gladly watch everyone take him at #1 and laugh my @ss off at all the suckers.

If Henry goes to Houston or Dallas, he'll become the dynasty draft darling of the year.

Also fools gold. I'll gladly watch everyone take him at #1 and laugh my @ss off at all the suckers.

Agreed, only suckers will be grabbing Henry in the draft.

I think Will Fuller might be the "overlooked" WR coming out in this draft that ends up breaking onto the scene next year. Dude is blazing fast.

Fullers hands are absolutely awful. If your a big, physical, athletic freak like Terrell Owens, or Kelvin Benjamin, thats one thing. Even if your having a bad day, at minimum you can be a red zone target.

Look at Tyler Lockett, similar skill set, but the guy catches everything, and fights for every pass. If he's dropping balls, and can't bring anything else to the table, can't use him.

I just don't like Fullers prospects for being able to be a fantasy asset in the league with his drop rate.

I use Ted Ginn Jr as his comparison.

so I have picks

at the first pick I don't see how I can take anyone other than treadwell.

the 2 and 3 picks of my league will be elliot and henry (or another combo of running backs)

so, at 1.4 I will have my pick of another wideout.

1.7 I agree on collins

1.10 who knows?

I will be watching the combine closely and I couldn't agree more with the poster above who said where they land is as important as the talent, especially with running backs. Last year had great players but many (such as gordon) went to the wrong place. With that in mind I am withholding judgement on the value of this draft until I see the picks... I am going to go on record saying that any pick you can get for 2017 right now is a good idea because some owners are short sighted and that draft has a couple game changers.

those are my thoughts on this championship morning.

jdon

• Like 1

Jdon, I'm curious on your starting requirements, and some of your top players?

Treadwell consensus 1.01?

Absolutely not. So much depends on where players end up and your teams individual needs. Treadwell isn't close to being a generational talent.

Yeah, thats pretty rough. I think your idea of treadwell and another wr (doctson?) at 1.4 would be the way to go.

Mariota

Landry

Treadwell

Doctson

Could be a nice, young starting lineup for you.

Next year might be rough again, but the future could be bright.

I wonder if you could flip the 1.7 pick for another decent player?

Yeah, thats pretty rough. I think your idea of treadwell and another wr (doctson?) at 1.4 would be the way to go.

Mariota

Landry

Treadwell

Doctson

Could be a nice, young starting lineup for you.

Next year might be rough again, but the future could be bright.

I wonder if you could flip the 1.7 pick for another decent player?

I have two first rounders in 2017 (mine and one I received when I traded gronk away before this season. basically I had this roster plus gronk and I figured I wasn't winning anything and traded gronk for a 1st and a second in 2016 and a first and a second in 2017. )

I intend to move 1.7 or 1.10 for another first in 2017. I may even move both.

basically I have the upcoming draft and 2017 to right the ship. Its a shame coleman hasn't shown anything and aghelor had a rough year this year as those two were my first rounders from last year (picks 8 and 11 in 2015 first round, and aghelor was gotten for buck allen and two second round picks earlier this season before I learned he couldn't get open, or catch when open)

jdon

Meh. This looks to me to be the most underwhelming draft class I can remember. My favorite wr and te both went back to school ( I didn't see that coming ).

Corey Davis

Yup, that was him. Can't believe he's going back, instead of coming out against what I believe is a weak field.

• Like 1

I have two first rounders in 2017 (mine and one I received when I traded gronk away before this season. basically I had this roster plus gronk and I figured I wasn't winning anything and traded gronk for a 1st and a second in 2016 and a first and a second in 2017. )

I intend to move 1.7 or 1.10 for another first in 2017. I may even move both.

basically I have the upcoming draft and 2017 to right the ship. Its a shame coleman hasn't shown anything and aghelor had a rough year this year as those two were my first rounders from last year (picks 8 and 11 in 2015 first round, and aghelor was gotten for buck allen and two second round picks earlier this season before I learned he couldn't get open, or catch when open)

jdon

Those USC wr's tend to scare me off. I stay away.