Sign in to follow this  
TimmySmith

2017 Oscar Best Picture Discussion

We need some alternatives.

I plan on seeing every OBP nominated film. Feel free to discuss any or all of them.

The nominees are:

Nominee
Nominee
Nominee
Nominee
Nominee
Nominee
Nominee
Nominee
Nominee

So far I have seen, Arrival and Moonlight. Both very good, thought provoking, films, but not quite BP.

we already know its going to be Fences or Hidden Figures

and Denzel and one of the black chicks from it win best actress, cause the libtards need to be forgiven for excluding the people of color last year

I saw hacksaw, lala land and arrival. I think my fav will be one of the ones I haven't seen yet. I enjoyed all 3 moderately.

Rumor has it Ryan Gosling can't sing

I've seen none of them. I have Hell or High Water at home and just don't feel like watching it at all.

"Manchester by the Sea". Holy cow what an overrated flick. I guess anything Boston is now cool in Hollywood, because this film simply doesn't deliver much. It's slow and about a half hour too long. Casey Affleck is very good, but there is nothing dynamic about his character. Any Oscar Nominated film should be seen in the theater. You can wait until it's on TNT.

and Denzel and one of the black chicks from it win best actress, cause the libtards need to be forgiven for excluding the people of color last year

Can we make a bet on this?

The arrival was interesting but meh.

Manchester by the sea was well acted and boring.

Alls we have seen so far.

Wouldn't mind seeing the arrival again though to see what I might have missed

Whatever black movie is nominated is who I'm for. Actor too.

La La Land. Visually stunning. Technically jaw dropping. An Homage Masterpiece. The actors deserve their Oscars and should get them. All that said, wait for the inevitable Broadway Musical, which will cleanup the Tony's like this film is destined to clean up at the AA.

Here is the dirty secret to LLL It's boring. It can't rise above homage, because the actors simply cannot sing or dance. So while the numbers are visually and technically spectacular, they can't hold your attention like they would if it were Astaire and Rogers, or Gene Kelly.

Nonetheless, an easy BP win. Not even a close second.

I'm sure there will be cries of racism if Fences/Hidden Figures doesn't sweep best pic, Actor, Actress, etc........

Hollywood is about as racist a place as exists on the planet. But it's not going to be race that gets Gosling the statue over Denzel, it is the fact that everyone has seen LLL and very few will have seen Fences.

Hollywood is about as racist a place as exists on the planet. But it's not going to be race that gets Gosling the statue over Denzel, it is the fact that everyone has seen LLL and very few will have seen Fences.

I'll watch Fences on PPV and LLL when it hits PBS I guess.

Oh wait... fans vote on the oscars?

this.

Sucks when black people win an award that they earned, but people look at it like its just a make up award. Maybe if there wasn't so much crying about every perceived slight it wouldnt be like that. Remember Cuba Gooding jr winning that time? Please.

La La Land. Visually stunning. Technically jaw dropping. An Homage Masterpiece. The actors deserve their Oscars and should get them. All that said, wait for the inevitable Broadway Musical, which will cleanup the Tony's like this film is destined to clean up at the AA.

Here is the dirty secret to LLL It's boring. It can't rise above homage, because the actors simply cannot sing or dance. So while the numbers are visually and technically spectacular, they can't hold your attention like they would if it were Astaire and Rogers, or Gene Kelly.

Nonetheless, an easy BP win. Not even a close second.

We're there minorities in it? Cause if not it won't win.

We're there minorities in it? Cause if not it won't win.

I think they have some acting roles in the tank for the blacks.Denzel is a shoe-in. But this movie might win because it's a big self kiss to Hollywood. Plus dancing and singing.

Ive seen ridge and figures and arrival, best of the three is hidden figures. Im white. The acting was good, the filmography was good. Hacksaw was excellent as well but other than filmography I didnt see anything oscar worthy. Arrival was good and interesting take on sci fi genre. Nothing groundbreaking tho in terms of story. Typical government fear vs true believer story.

Nominee
A focking musical. No way I'm watching it lol.
Nominee
ZZZZZZZ....put me to sleep. Better than sominex.
Nominee
Been on my radar for awhile. Hope to get a chance to check it out soon.
Nominee
Excellent flick. Not so sure it's oscar worthy but definitely a very good movie.
Nominee
Great story but definitely looks over produced. Which in Hollywood, with this kind of material, means heavy handed. I'll pass.
Nominee
Definitely cannot wait to see this. Heard it was great from a friend who saw it at a festival.
Nominee
Same as Hidden Figures. Another great story turned into coercive tripe. No thank you.
Nominee
Very good movie but a hard watch. Definitely not for everyone. And probably not quite oscar worthy.
Nominee
Same as Hidden Figures and Hacksaw Ridge, great story made into overproduced garbage.

This list doesn't look very promising. We still have a Winston Churchill flick called Darkest Hour and the Doug Liman thriller about the CIA drug smuggler in the 80's called American Made coming in the fall.

Of this list, one of the heavy handed garbage dramas would win it.

We need some alternatives.

I plan on seeing every OBP nominated film. Feel free to discuss any or all of them.

The nominees are:

La La Land

Marc Platt, Jordan Horowitz, Fred Berger

Nominee

Arrival

Shawn Levy, David Linde, Aaron Ryder, ...

Nominee

Lion

Iain Canning, Emile Sherman, Angie Fielder

Nominee

Hell or High Water

Julie Yorn, Carla Hacken

Nominee

Hidden Figures

Pharrell Williams, Theodore Melfi, Peter Chernin, ...

Nominee

Moonlight

Dede Gardner, Adele Romanski, Jeremy Kleiner

Nominee

Hacksaw Ridge

Bill Mechanic, David Permut

Nominee

Manchester by the Sea

Matt Damon, Chris Moore, Kimberly Steward, ...

Nominee

Fences

Denzel Washington, Scott Rudin, Todd Black

Nominee

So far I have seen, Arrival and Moonlight. Both very good, thought provoking, films, but not quite BP.

Excellent post. You should start an official movie review thread and update it as you see movies.

I think they have some acting roles in the tank for the blacks.Denzel is a shoe-in. But this movie might win because it's a big self kiss to Hollywood. Plus dancing and singing.

If it doesn't have minorities it loses. Now and forever.

I want someone to praise Trump in their speech tbh.

The sheer look of shock among everyone in attendance would be the best picture of the year