Sign in to follow this  
Bier Meister

Thanksgiving 2017

Gawd...My father, mother and sister in law are vegan. This holiday is by far the worst for vegans and I wish they could just suspend this for one frickin day. Worst part is the sis in law is hosting. Get ready for a whole bunch of fake foods like vegan cheesecake--oh YUM!! It tastes like the real thing(which by the way it never EVER does)........

Gonna suck. We are making a turkey, will carve it at home, take some there and leave the rest at our house to eat later. Lame.

Aint got no time for being vegan down south. Everything here is deep fried and cooked with butter, bacon grease, and all the fat. Food is going to be delicious come Thursday

And a lot of you fockers take your meals food too damn seriously. Just have turkey and mashed like normal people for Christs sakes.

absolutely. i like it too much to settle for average. i want people to enjoy it as much as i do. when we stop creating, life becomes boring.

Mourning my father. I hope none of you have to tell a doctor to pull the plug, fill him with morphine, and wait.

Mourning my father. I hope none of you have to tell a doctor to pull the plug, fill him with morphine, and wait.

My mom...not pull the plug but watch her drift off in a morphine induced haze. Wish I had never seen it, but at least I was there to say goodbye. The fear in her eyes was horrible.

There's a thanksgiving party at my daughters (pre-k) school tomorrow. She can go dressed as either a "native" American or a pilgrim. She's going as a pilgrim.

Bier, I'm in charge of the kids food (not sure why there's separate kids food) and it's been decided as mac and cheese by the hostess. Guessing there will be 3-8 kids, most under 5, all solid food eating stage. I want to do something simple but at least a little special.

Bier, I'm in charge of the kids food (not sure why there's separate kids food) and it's been decided as mac and cheese by the hostess. Guessing there will be 3-8 kids, most under 5, all solid food eating stage. I want to do something simple but at least a little special.

you can do this in advance.... find an easy m&c recipe online

with kids i don't get too exotic. do the mac & cheese with 2 or 3 different cheeses (white cheddar, swiss, havarti...do you think the kids will like gouda?). dice bacon. crisp. mix into finished m&c. set it up in a casserole dish. reheat when you like. when 5- 10 from done, sprinkle with either bread crumbs or panko and finish in oven.

my daughter like many cheeses. for her birthday 4-5 years ago she wanted m&c with gruyere and bacon. gouda adds nice flavor also.

My mom...not pull the plug but watch her drift off in a morphine induced haze. Wish I had never seen it, but at least I was there to say goodbye. The fear in her eyes was horrible.

Sorry bud. Dad was incubated. Kissed him on the forehead. Told him goodnight. Next day I did what he asked.

Dad: If I can't walk out of here with my car keys any time soon and they hook me up, let me go.

And I did. Hardest thing I ever did do.

They took the breathing tubes out, the others, and he passed within minutes.

I got to shake his hand once. When I graduated high school. And when he died. I held his hand. I shook it one last time.

He was under the covers. Only his head was showing. I took his left hand out and shook it, kissed it, and said goodbye.

• Sad 1

Sorry bud. Dad was incubated. Kissed him on the forehead. Told him goodnight. Next day I did what he asked.

Dad: If I can't walk out of here with my car keys any time soon and they hook me up, let me go.

And I did. Hardest thing I ever did do.

They took the breathing tubes out, the others, and he passed within minutes.

I got to shake his hand once. When I graduated high school. And when he died. I held his hand. I shook it one last time.

He was under the covers. Only his head was showing. I took his left hand out and shook it, kissed it, and said goodbye.

Don't be a doosh, Cloaca shared a story about his mom dying. Congrats, you think yours is worse. :rolleyes:

I OK'd the removal of my mom's intubation tube from 3000 miles away; I had just been back there for surgery and it seemed things were otherwise OK. Ends up she had sepsis which the hospital totally missed (different story which I've posted here and we probably could have sued the hospital, but in the end it was her time to go). Anyway, I was on the phone while my brother did a Pat Summerall play by play for me of how she wasn't breathing and eventually died. I'm not sure who had it harder; I'm guessing him at the time but me after for not being there.

Hey Bier,

How about a savory sweet potato recipe?

I can't stand the sugary, syrupy, marshmallowy, candied stuff.

I was gonna just roast somebody with purple onions and maybe some Parmesan.

Any other ideas?

you can do this in advance.... find an easy m&c recipe online

with kids i don't get too exotic. do the mac & cheese with 2 or 3 different cheeses (white cheddar, swiss, havarti...do you think the kids will like gouda?). dice bacon. crisp. mix into finished m&c. set it up in a casserole dish. reheat when you like. when 5- 10 from done, sprinkle with either bread crumbs or panko and finish in oven.

my daughter like many cheeses. for her birthday 4-5 years ago she wanted m&c with gruyere and bacon. gouda adds nice flavor also.

Might go with havarti and cheddar. I don't see them liking gouda..yet. May consider gruyere. Thanks :cheers:

• Like 1

i don't have one, but i think chipotle with adobo works well with sweet. i have used a paprika driven rub for sweet potato fries.

instead of sweet topping go for plain bread crumbs (with spiced seasoning... cayenne, chili powder, paprika, etc)

:shocking:

Savory in a way that works with asparagus too. I browsed pinterest for some ideas and saw a roasted sweet potato and asparagus dish that looked pretty good.

My fiancées work is having some sort of dinner party at a five star hotel that night, so Im getting dragged to that.

Should be fun though. I dont know anyone here in my new city (I work at a public school where I am the only foreigner) so it will be nice to talk to people a little. And I dont have work till 2:30 the next day, so I can freely get drunk for the first time in months.

I had a cousin in law that lost her s*** over gluten free. That was a horrendous experience. I mean the food was actually fine. But she just wouldn't shut the f****** about see? You can't even tell there's no gluten in there can you?

Well, it's ice water so...

Don't be a doosh, Cloaca shared a story about his mom dying. Congrats, you think yours is worse. :

I OK'd the removal of my mom's intubation tube from 3000 miles away; I had just been back there for surgery and it seemed things were otherwise OK. Ends up she had sepsis which the hospital totally missed (different story which I've posted here and we probably could have sued the hospital, but in the end it was her time to go). Anyway, I was on the phone while my brother did a Pat Summerall play by play for me of how she wasn't breathing and eventually died. I'm not sure who had it harder; I'm guessing him at the time but me after for not being there.

You have no idea of what I did. Shut up and stand down!

You have no idea of what I did. Shut up and stand down!

Sure I do, you posted about it. You are a doosh who told Cloaca that what he experienced wasn't as bad as what you did. We get it, your dad was the greatest guy in the history of ever. I don't care if you had to shoot your dad in the head to put him out of his misery, that doesn't excuse your dooshiness about Cloaca's experience.

Sure I do, you posted about it. You are a doosh who told Cloaca that what he experienced wasn't as bad as what you did. We get it, your dad was the greatest guy in the history of ever. I don't care if you had to shoot your dad in the head to put him out of his misery, that doesn't excuse your dooshiness about Cloaca's experience.

I did no such thing. I used this forum to express my feelings. And express my self. I understand his point. And his heartache. I know what he's going through.

I had a heavy heart last night and needed a place to let it go. I choose here. My dooshness will find a better place.

Sorry cloc.

I don't think you should fill the doctor with morphine.

Hey Bier,

How about a savory sweet potato recipe?

I can't stand the sugary, syrupy, marshmallowy, candied stuff.

Any other ideas?

Stick with roasting the chunky cut sweet potato / yams, etc. But do a simple brown butter. You can find the recipe all over the internet. Infuse it with a little bit of dried Sage. Throw a smattering of cinnamon , nutmeg in there too it's a good combination. You still get the Earthiness and savory without serving a banana split as a side dish.
  • Like 1

I started a fun little tradition back in my twenties. We make standard gingerbread man but use spice drops for extra large noses and cut up cooked spaghetti noodles to make little star diagrams right on the chest.

Then we place them in screaming hot, like 500-degree, oven.

It's great, because you can get the kids involved too. And every one of them every year just can't wait to do this. They just keep screaming out Juden Bakke! Juden Bakke!

Smoked turkey (x2)

Mashed potatoes

Stuffing

Green beans

Green bean casserole

cranberry sauce

corn souffle (or "that corn " as I affectionately call it)

Pumpkin pie

Apple Pie

Pumpkin cheesecake

Regret

• Like 1

Cooking has begun

Same here. Started my buttermilk pies and wife is gonna do the deviled eggs later once she wakes up. Im gonna save the brown butter garlic carrots for tomorrow

Currently making soup and cranberries.

Next wave will be sweet potatoes and dressing.

Tomorrow, will do turkey, gravy, popovers, roasted squash/Brussels sprouts

Currently making soup and cranberries.

Next wave will be sweet potatoes and dressing.

Tomorrow, will do turkey, gravy, popovers, roasted squash/Brussels sprouts

Aren't you in Colorado? When should I show up for dinner?

Aren't you in Colorado? When should I show up for dinner?

I was in Breck and silverthorne for 10 years. Moved back to Bay area in 11. Living in Sonoma county..... You are welcome to come by any time.

Edit:. Next time I am in Colorado or you are in northern California, let's grab a drink

I was in Breck and silverthorne for 10 years. Moved back to Bay area in 11. Living in Sonoma county..... You are welcome to come by any time.

Edit:. Next time I am in Colorado, let's grab a drink

For sure. I'm up near loveland/ft collins but would make a trip to the city to meet up.

For sure. I'm up near loveland/ft collins but would make a trip to the city to meet up.

If I have a car, I could use an excuse to visit New Belgium and coopersmith

Sooooo glad I don't have to do this for 500+ anymore.

Happy turkey day!

hosting this year... my parents, mrs' mother, a few other friends...about 12 of us.

parents requested items below. still thinking about the turkey... i want to do something a little different than years past. also doing a sweet potato casserole with streusel topping. will post later.

stuffing:

1 lb- unseasoned pork sausage (crumbled) you also want to remove the casings

1/2 C- finely chopped onion

1/2 C- finely chopped celery

1/2 C- butter

1 C- finely chopped unpeeled mcintosh apples

1 C- dried cherries

1/3 C- cherry brandy

1 loaf- french baguette cubed

1/4 tsp- cinnamon

1/4 tsp- mace

1 tsp- salt

1/4 tsp- ground black pepper

1-2 C- chicken broth

pinch nutmeg

pinch dreid sage

pinch dried thyme

brown sausage. saute onions and celery until soft. combine all ingredients. you might want to use an egg to bind.......

spray dish you are going to use to cook. spread stuffing evenly in dish. bake at 425 for 30 min (or unitl golden brown). cover with foil (to prevent burning). lower temp to 350. cook another 20 min until internal temp reaches 150.

Mace??? Really.. you can't buy focking Mace at fred meyers! I'm here looking for a made up spice! :mad:

let's not drive ourselves crazy. if you cannot find it go without, but most grocery stores carry it.

We just finished breakfast.... Orange/vanilla French toast...... Should hold us until dinner

Still eating...my BIL (one who owns the restaurant chains and went to culinary school) made porkbelly burnt ends. Freaking delicious. FYI they arent burnt. Thats just what they are called

Cranberries:

1 lb cranberries (fresh or frz)

1 c orange juice

1/2 c dark rum

2 cinnamon sticks

2 tbs br sugar

throw in pot over med-low heat and reduce until syrupy.

So, you found the can opener.

:pointstosky: