Sign in to follow this  
titans&bucs&bearsohmy!

Any Interest in a Geek Book Club?

my time is limited - could you fockers just pick a book Ive already read so I can participate?

Outliers - Malcolm Gladwell

thx!

I read it, liked it, and mentioned that here.

Might have even done so after you suggested it. Not sure exactly.

This was years ago when the book first published in 2014.

This was years ago when the book first published in 2014.

Yep. Thats about when I read it. I remember reading it, liking it and discussing that here.

Then a short while later I saw theyd made it into a movie. I took my whole family to see it when it opened.

I'm in as long as we stick with fiction. I find real life booorrrringg...

Real life, but not boring. I just watched 12 Strong (

) and want to read the book now.

The first ground op in Afghanistan after 9/11.

Stanton (In Harm's Way) recreates the miseries and triumphs of specially trained mounted U.S. soldiers, deployed in the war-ravaged Afghanistan mountains to fight alongside the Northern Alliance-thousands of rag-tag Afghans who fought themselves to exhaustion or death-against the Taliban. The U.S. contingent, almost to a man, had never ridden horses-especially not these "shaggy and thin-legged, and short... descendents of the beasts Genghis Khan had ridden out of Uzbekistan"-but that was not the only obstacle: rattling helicopters, outdated maps, questionable air support and insufficient food also played their parts. Stanton brings each soldier and situation to vivid life: "Bennett suddenly belted out: 'It just keeps getting better and better!' Here they were, living on fried sheep and filtered ditchwater...calling in ops-guided bombs on bunkers built of mud and wood scrap, surrounded by Taliban fighters." In less than three months, this handful of troops secured a city in which a fort had been taken over by Taliban prisoners, a tangle of firefights and mayhem that became a seminal battle and, in Stanton's prose, a considerable epic: "Dead and dying men and wounded horses had littered the courtyard, a twitching choir that brayed and moaned in the rough, knee-high grass."

The mission to take Mazar-i-Sharif was believed to take two years, but they did it in three weeks. Al Qaeda considers this their worst defeat. Due to the classified nature of the mission, the men involved returned to their lives without public recognition. In 2014, General Dostum became Vice President of Afghanistan, and he remains close friends with Mitch Nelson.

Im about 3/4 thru american gods. Interesting read...not really sure if its as amazing as the critics claim.