Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Shark Attacks

There had been a rising number of shark attacks here in South Carolina and in North Carolina. Today another child got attacked by one and rushed to the hospital. The shark attacks have been on the rise this year than any other year. Was at the beach today and they had no swimming signs posted up. People still got in the water but no further than their knees. I'm renting a boat and a jetski Friday but I'm second guessing myself now

You're gonna need a bigger boat

I am tired of these mother f***ing sharks

Shark attacks may be up because of climate change driving them into different waters? But last I heard sharks kill about 10 people per year. I wouldn't go swimming in South Africa or Australia, but I wouldn't let it bother me in CA.

I am tired of these mother f***ing sharks

Well, I see you got those snakes and sparklers. But where's the good stuff man?

Shark attacks may be up because of climate change driving them into different waters?

Is this like when Fox News poses questions as veiled bigotry

"Was Obama out of line and offensive lighting up the WH as a rainbow?"

Just asking a question here

Anybody remember what the media was talking about in the days leading up to 9/11? It wasn't terrorist.

Anybody remember what the media was talking about in the days leading up to 9/11? It wasn't terrorist.

Yep, all the shark attacks. I remember because I had just drawn our receptionist a picture of a shark coming up under a bunch of swimmers, with the caption; "I think I'll do Chinese".

Is this like when Fox News poses questions as veiled bigotry

"Was Obama out of line and offensive lighting up the WH as a rainbow?"

Just asking a question here

There's actually some science behind marine life migrating to different waters when the climate shifts. I also didn't say MMGW or make it political at all, but Republicans are easily butthurt I guess.

Yep, all the shark attacks. I remember because I had just drawn our receptionist a picture of a shark coming up under a bunch of swimmers, with the caption; "I think I'll do Chinese".

They were Korean :angry:

I remember back in the mid 90's there were 100+ shark bites off of Florida, then they stopped. Like most things, it is cyclical.

Shark attacks may be up because of climate change driving them into different waters? But last I heard sharks kill about 10 people per year. I wouldn't go swimming in South Africa or Australia, but I wouldn't let it bother me in CA.

Great Whites do a lot of damage from Monterey and north.

The waters are pretty much too cold for swimming, but those surfers in wetsuits are mistaken for just another seal snack in those waters.

It does seem as though there is an uptick, the warming oceans are being considered as a potential factor; except in Florida where climate change apparently does not happen and must not be discussed

Generally the sharks that attack humans prefer colder water. Climate change would have the opposite effect. Of course it probably would have a very minimal effect, if any.

Chandra Levy... At least around here...

Generally the sharks that attack humans prefer colder water. Climate change would have the opposite effect. Of course it probably would have a very minimal effect, if any.

Honestly just throwing that out as an option. I saw a documentary a few years ago about how parts of the California ocean suddenly have millions of humboldt squid. Either they're reacting to changes in climate of their food source is.

Maybe sharks are pursuing fish / other good into more populated waters? Who knows.

What I do no for sure is that Dank is perty sensitive to the phrase "climate change." He hates "elite," too. :lol:

Just had another yesterday off Okrakoke Island, in NC. That's 7 in NC in just 16 days. An uptick is an understatement. There is a shark attack every other day here in NC. I've been going to the coast all my life and never seen anything like this. Fishing, surfing, swimming, paddleboarding, etc. I've never thought twice about it......until this week.

Sumptin ain't right here.

Honestly just throwing that out as an option. I saw a documentary a few years ago about how parts of the California ocean suddenly have millions of humboldt squid. Either they're reacting to changes in climate of their food source is.

Maybe sharks are pursuing fish / other good into more populated waters? Who knows.

What I do no for sure is that Dank is perty sensitive to the phrase "climate change." He hates "elite," too. :lol:

People around here are saying it's just a numbers game, that there are more people than ever in the water, so obviously there will be more shark attacks. I'm not buying it. This year is weird. Somthing is up. In two of the cases the shark bit a board (one a surf board the other a boogie board) and then circled back and bit again. This is weird as normally when a shark bites once it realizes what it bites is not food so it leaves. These mofo's are coming back for more. :unsure:

People around here are saying it's just a numbers game, that there are more people than ever in the water, so obviously there will be more shark attacks. I'm not buying it. This year is weird. Somthing is up. In two of the cases the shark bit a board (one a surf board the other a boogie board) and then circled back and bit again. This is weird as normally when a shark bites once it realizes what it bites is not food so it leaves. These mofo's are coming back for more. :unsure:

They are hungry? :dunno: Sharks don't need to come close to shore if they are eating well.

It's probably some combination of more people in the water, sharks or their food sources migrating to more people filled waters or sharks reacting to a diminishing food source.

Either way, there are 10 fatalities by shark attack per year and nearly all of them are in places where great whites are common. By contrast there are thousands of deaths by dogs, crocodiles, jellyfish etc.

The media likes shark attacks cause they are dramatic and scary but they're also very rare.

The media likes shark attacks cause they are dramatic and scary but they're also very rare.

True, but it also helps push the "global warming/climate change" agenda... Any chance that they can do that...

Can't do that with bee stings, dogs, etc...

True, but it also helps push the "global warming/climate change" agenda... Any chance that they can do that...

Can't do that with bee stings, dogs, etc...

To be fair, warming water temperatures actually would affect the distribution of sea life. That may be uncomfortable for you and Dank but it is actually science fact.

Isn't the likelihood of being attacked by a shark still below stuff like dying from a cork from a champagne bottle or something.

These things are still relatively plentiful out there, and when you swim its like walking through an area where lions are lounging.....

Yes, there seems to be a spike and precautions should be taken, but still not all that common....though increasing.

Hard to say how dangerous sharks are. 10 attacks per year are really low, but you have to adjust for the fact that we come into far less contact with sharks just by not being in the water all that much. There are also only 3-4 species that pose lethal risk to humans. You might get a bad bite from a blue shark but it's really not going to hurt you.

It's frightening because sharks are apex predators and we are more or less helpless in the water, but the danger isn't that high. Crocodiles kill 1,000 people a year and they're not nearly as feared as sharks (10x year).

Fun subject. I can't wait for shark week.

Hippos are the biggest man killers in Africa.

STAY OUT THE WATAH!

Oceans suck.

Get a pool. Or a pond. Or a pool and a pond. A pond would be good for you.

- you're over on Briar, right?

• Like 1

There's actually some science behind marine life migrating to different waters when the climate shifts. I also didn't say MMGW or make it political at all, but Republicans are easily butthurt I guess.

The average world temperature has gone up .7 degrees since 1820. The earth's climate has been changing for billions of years, what is your point.

Out here on the beach all day. People in the water and haven't gotten bit yet. Could just be a migratory pattern for the sharks. Who knows. Just be careful in the water

The average world temperature has gone up .7 degrees since 1820. The earth's climate has been changing for billions of years, what is your point.

That changes in ocean temperature can cause marine life to migrate. Got it now dumbfock?