Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

I wrote a letter of recommendation for a guy I went to school with

He is serving life in prison for armed robbery, assault and aggravated battery stemming from a drug deal gone wrong about a year after we graduated. He was always a nice guy to me. A manchild as far as sports went.He made the other black kids...look tiny. And they were not tiny at all. He was always the biggest fastest strongest. But was always a soft touch also. He has been in prison for over 20 years now. I think to myself the mistakes I made as a kid and I am so happy none of them sent me to prison. I was arrested at 19 for manufacturing and distributing explosives. I was making c02 cartridge bombs to fish with. Instead of tossing the book at me they make me clean the drunk tank every sat and sunday for 3 months. I mean its not armed robbery by any means but its still something that I could have been in a lot of trouble for an could have easily served time. My best friend who graduated with both me and this guy im speaking of will not even consider writing a letter. Says he made his bed and he has to lie in it. I just feel like 20 years is a long time for someone who did not murder anyone.

He is serving life in prison for armed robbery, assault and aggravated battery stemming from a drug deal gone wrong about a year after we graduated. He was always a nice guy to me. A manchild as far as sports went.He made the other black kids...look tiny. And they were not tiny at all. He was always the biggest fastest strongest. But was always a soft touch also. He has been in prison for over 20 years now. I think to myself the mistakes I made as a kid and I am so happy none of them sent me to prison. I was arrested at 19 for manufacturing and distributing explosives. I was making c02 cartridge bombs to fish with. Instead of tossing the book at me they make me clean the drunk tank every sat and sunday for 3 months. I mean its not armed robbery by any means but its still something that I could have been in a lot of trouble for an could have easily served time. My best friend who graduated with both me and this guy im speaking of will not even consider writing a letter. Says he made his bed and he has to lie in it. I just feel like 20 years is a long time for someone who did not murder anyone.

Some of the nicest people I've ever met were ex cons. People act like there is a ton separating themselves from a con. There really isn't.

For a lot it's a 5 minute loss of control of a situation...boom..jailed. Things happen.

Some of the nicest people I've ever met were ex cons. People act like there is a ton separating themselves from a con. There really isn't.

For a lot it's a 5 minute loss of control of a situation...boom..jailed. Things happen.

Nah. 99.9% of the public doesn't end up even close to committing armed robbery, assault, and aggravated battery due to a drug deal gone wrong. Talk DUI and you have a point. But not what this guy did.

Nah. 99.9% of the public doesn't end up even close to committing armed robbery, assault, and aggravated battery due to a drug deal gone wrong. Talk DUI and you have a point. But not what this guy did.

I would have to agree. However that being said young men especially make mistakes. Whats worse is he comes from such a great family. His dad is a deacon in the church and a GA STATE PATROL officer, substitute teacher and seriously one of the best men I have ever met.......ever. When I heard about the situation my first thoughts went out to his dad.

Oh yes yes...just in general..not specifically to this guy.

When compared with some sentences other people get for murder, rape, child molestation, etc I agree 20 years seems MORE than enough. Very kind of you to write that letter.

• Like 1

Have you kept in contact with the guy? Ever put any money on his books? He prolly wouldn't mind eating a Little Debbie that he didn't have to suck a for.

Writing a letter twenty years later is nice too though.

• Like 1

Have you kept in contact with the guy? Ever put any money on his books? He prolly wouldn't mind eating a Little Debbie that he didn't have to suck a ###### for.

:shocking:

:o

:lol:

Have you kept in contact with the guy? Ever put any money on his books? He prolly wouldn't mind eating a Little Debbie that he didn't have to suck a ###### for.

Writing a letter twenty years later is nice too though.

he is like 6 ft 6 300 lbs. He's in no danger.

I would have to agree. However that being said young men especially make mistakes. Whats worse is he comes from such a great family. His dad is a deacon in the church and a GA STATE PATROL officer, substitute teacher and seriously one of the best men I have ever met.......ever. When I heard about the situation my first thoughts went out to his dad.

To be clear, IMO he's served enough time assuming he's been a model prisoner. I have no problem with you writing a letter in support. Just seemed like his crimes were being minimized a bit.

i wouldn't write that letter if i were you.....

...a rec from a burnout baby daddy would probably do the guy more harm than good :banana:

To be clear, IMO he's served enough time assuming he's been a model prisoner. I have no problem with you writing a letter in support. Just seemed like his crimes were being minimized a bit.

Oh no. What he did was bad. There is no getting around that. However 20 years is a long time for someone who did not murder anyone. Someone asked if I kept in contact. I did not. I belong to a high school class group on facebook originally intended to be just for our 20th reunion. His mom posted on there via one of our members asking if anyone would be willing to write a letter. I always liked him and man if you could meet his dad. His dad is next to my father the best man I have ever met.

i wouldn't write that letter if i were you.....

...a rec from a burnout baby daddy would probably do the guy more harm than good :banana:

I have a full time job, never been in trouble with the law. have a great kid, make 50k+ a year and I am white. I doubt my recommendation is gonna hurt.

Way off IMO. None of my close friends or immediate family have ever had any serious run ins with the law.

But we're not the kind of people who drive drunk at 180 mph with large quantities of drugs and illegal firearms strapped to our sides.

I'm a believer in giving people a second chance and I've had a few ex cons work for me. While some of them worked out ok and moved on to be better members of society, most didn't.

That was kind of you, although your letter is complete horsesh1t, seeing as how you don't even know the guy.

I would treat it like being a witness. Tell the truth, don't embellish, and let the experts decide if he deserves parole. :thumbsup:

That was kind of you, although your letter is complete horsesh1t, seeing as how you don't even know the guy.

I did not speak to his character now but to what he was when I knew him. I did not want to send a letter that painted him now in a Rosey light. Because I can't speak to that and I fektike my letter would be discounted.