Sign in to follow this  
nobody

What do the Chinese think about tariffs

It looks like the prospect of a trade war is making the market shît itself. What's the word on the street in China? Are they worried? Is there any news? Does anyone even care?

Ive heard nothing about it whatsoever. Of course, I dont speak Chinese anywhere near well enough to talk politics, rarely talk to Chinese people, and they dont really talk politics here anyway.

Are there American products that are accesible to the average Chinese or are all of our exports industrial? I wpuld assume that booze and cigarettes are big. Anything else?

Are there American products that are accesible to the average Chinese or are all of our exports industrial? I wpuld assume that booze and cigarettes are big. Anything else?

The biggest American brands I see here are...

Budweiser

Coke and Pepsi

McDonalds, Pizza Hut and KFC

Apple

Some clothing brands.

Wine and whiskey

Thats mostly all I can think of. I dont know how that stuff is affected since most of it is made here anyway.

Ive started seeing a few things on the expat news services. Havent heard anything from the Chinese yet. Im sure theyll be told what to think shortly.

They think sumtings wong.

Im sure here in a few days there will be some media riling them up and Ill have to put up with belligerent morons for a while.

Fortunately this place has given me a lot of experience with that.

3B is sort of a joke compared to 50B. Something to placate us. If the Chinese were willing to cut the deficit in half, I could see the tariffs going away.

Im sure here in a few days there will be some media riling them up and Ill have to put up with belligerent morons for a while.

:first:

Ur welcome.

What the Chinese people think and what their government does are two different things

Kinda like here

Is there any doubt that China has raped the US of intellectual property for decades?

Not really.

What the Chinese people think and what their government does are two different things

Kinda like here

Much more so than here.

Chinese people dont have the habit we do of questioning authority. Let alone challenging it.

They arent accountable to any voters or anything. The media prints what they tell them to print. Hell, Id be surprised if anyone here even knows this has happened yet.

Think Ill turn the vpn on. Probably dont want em reading this one.

I haven't talked to my usual friends in a while to discuss this. My wife will bring things in the news to my attention every so often but she's not mentioned this. I don't know anyone has noticed anything.

Hopefully food is not on the list seeing as I buy a lot of imported food and already pay a lot more for it than you guys do.

I haven't talked to my usual friends in a while to discuss this. My wife will bring things in the news to my attention every so often but she's not mentioned this. I don't know anyone has noticed anything.

Hopefully food is not on the list seeing as I buy a lot of imported food and already pay a lot more for it than you guys do.

Whats a bell pepper there, $13?

Whats a bell pepper there, $13?

Not even thirteen cents.

I'm talking: cereal, cheese, lunch meat, peanut butter, spaghetti sauce...stuff that they don't eat that I do and has to be imported.

Not even thirteen cents.

I'm talking: cereal, cheese, lunch meat, peanut butter, spaghetti sauce...stuff that they don't eat that I do and has to be imported.

Yep. Produce and meat and Chinese food is dirt cheap. Most days for dinner I eat a bowl of fried noodles with three different meats and all the veggies you pick, that I get from a street vendor. Costs $2.

Every country charges their people tariffs to import our stuff. Every time I sell a tooth overseas (even to Canada) I am asked to declare a low value to save the buyer money on import fees. I sell teeth twice a year or so to a guy owns a dive shop in the Netherlands. He has to pay his country tariffs when he brings in shark teeth. I will sometimes buy dive gear from him since he buys from me. I am never charged to import stuff I get from him. Bottom line is they do not want their people buying stuff from us and I would sell more if they were not in place. Obviously I am very very small time but it is still B.S. I understand why both Dems and some Repubs are for trying to level the playing field. We should tell them that we will eliminate the tariffs if they do.

Yep. Produce and meat and Chinese food is dirt cheap. Most days for dinner I eat a bowl of fried noodles with three different meats and all the veggies you pick, that I get from a street vendor. Costs $2.

Nice.

Looks like the market corrected itself today.

That's because it's a shell game.

Tariffs are obviously a volley in the negotiation process of either whittling down the deficit or getting some sort of Chinese investment. I assume the NoKo situation is tied in somehow. If you come to the table knowing that everything is about money, and it is, and Trump does, then Diplomacy is rather simple.

Tariffs are obviously a volley in the negotiation process of either whittling down the deficit or getting some sort of Chinese investment. I assume the NoKo situation is tied in somehow. If you come to the table knowing that everything is about money, and it is, and Trump does, then Diplomacy is rather simple.

Yes, international diplomacy is simple...spot on. :thumbsup:

Trump calls for Tariffs - 2 weeks later KJU is in China.

Trump call for NAFTA repeal - 2 weeks later Mexico is stopping immigrants.

Twitter diplomacy. :dunno:

Lol yeah. This is what were up against with his moron followers

Trump calls for Tariffs - 2 weeks later KJU is in China.

Trump call for NAFTA repeal - 2 weeks later Mexico is stopping immigrants.

Twitter diplomacy. :dunno:

You skipped over where China has imposed tariffs and that KJU going to China and giving China more leverage (as they now have in any trade talks) is not a good thing for us.

Also...Mexico stopped what? That caravan you all thought was invading? :lol:

You skipped over where China has imposed tariffs and that KJU going to China and giving China more leverage (as they now have in any trade talks) is not a good thing for us.

Also...Mexico stopped what? That caravan you all thought was invading? :lol:

50 billion trade imbalance, but yeah, we have more to lose. Maybe China will sell 50 billion of it's crap somewhere else. :clap:

Just admit that Trumps failure to adhere to Obama's bend and spread 'em diplomacy scares you. :dunno:

• Like 1

50 billion trade imbalance, but yeah, we have more to lose. Maybe China will sell 50 billion of it's crap somewhere else. :clap:

Just admit that Trumps failure to adhere to Obama's bend and spread 'em diplomacy scares you. :dunno:

Bend and spread em? Like he has done with everyone so far? Talks tough on twitter...backs down in person?

I prefer adult diplomacy not childish antics. I preferred the steady growth not the day to day volatility his actions have caused.

To even try to claim Trump is better at diplomacy is absolutely nuts.

Bend and spread em? Like he has done with everyone so far? Talks tough on twitter...backs down in person?

I prefer adult diplomacy not childish antics. I preferred the steady growth not the day to day volatility his actions have caused.

To even try to claim Trump is better at diplomacy is absolutely nuts.

Libya. /thread

Libya. /thread

We would have also accepted Iran, Iraq, Egypt, Syria, North Korea, Ukraine, and Russia. Although in Obama's defense on Russia, he gave them a stern "Cut it out".

We would have also accepted Iran, Iraq, Egypt, Syria, North Korea, Ukraine, and Russia. Although in Obama's defense on Russia, he gave them a stern "Cut it out".

Odd you claim bend over and spread and bring you russia. Im sure you are mighty impressed by him kicking out 60 guys...readonly the foxnews articles and not anythjng else about how toothless that was (and only acted in after the EU recommended such action). Yeah...his sanctioningthe 13 people Mueller indicted had a lot of teeth too.

I love President Trump's tweet, but it makes me sad at the same time. At least we have a president who stands up for our interest first.

"We are not in a trade war with China, that war was lost many years ago by the foolish, or incompetent, people who represented the U.S. Now we have a Trade Deficit of $500 Billion a year, with Intellectual Property Theft of another $300 Billion. We cannot let this continue!" President Trump

I love President Trump's tweet, but it makes me sad at the same time. At least we have a president who stands up for our interest first.

"We are not in a trade war with China, that war was lost many years ago by the foolish, or incompetent, people who represented the U.S. Now we have a Trade Deficit of $500 Billion a year, with Intellectual Property Theft of another $300 Billion. We cannot let this continue!" President Trump

Our? Link? He stands up for his interests and the trade was was started by his stupid words...and will continue to hurt actual Americans because of unneeded behavior.

If he wanted diplomacy...he could have chosen it over his twitter bs and tariffs.

I has us by the balls and has damn smart people working for him on his economics team...we have Trump and Kudlow. Thats not a good matchup for the US.

Our? Link? He stands up for his interests and the trade was was started by his stupid words...and will continue to hurt actual Americans because of unneeded behavior.

If he wanted diplomacy...he could have chosen it over his twitter bs and tariffs.

I has us by the balls and has damn smart people working for him on his economics team...we have Trump and Kudlow. Thats not a good matchup for the US.

tilt

That's great stuff. Trump knows when he's holding the winning hand. Let china sell their junk elsewhere if they don't like it. S Korea makes better stuff anyway.