Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Whoa! Osweiler traded to Browns

Word is that the Browns are shopping Oz for a 3rd and they'll pay half his salary. If they manage to get that trade they will have basically purchased a 2nd AND a 3rd in 2018 for roughly 8 mil, which is great for the team.

If they don't swing a trade for him he will compete for their QB gig this year, which likely will improve their draft slot next year.

Not keeping Pryor (and watching him subsequently sign w the iggles fir 8 mil) bothers me far more than the Oz trade.

Not here to defend all things Browns but as per my above post I think teams building a roster get further behind, not ahead, by signing above market contracts and more importantly I expect that's what they think. I think this was misplayed by Pryor/agent......they thought they could hold up the Browns for an above market contract same as Cook/Bennett situation in GB and they got burned. The Browns had an allocation for the position and went to the next guy on the list. If they don't make that move and wait it out with Pryor, the next few guys on the list are gone. It only takes a couple of these before agents say, OK we're not going to get significantly more than we can elsewhere by waiting, we gotta decide if we want to be here with the bird in the hand.

If its the last few pieces you need once a strong roster is built, maybe its different with an overpay but the Patriots don't even think its OK in that case.

Houston's motivation is of Cleveland's concern because you can't get more out of someone than they are willing to pay. I don't think Houston's motivation rises to the level of giving up more. I don't think they would pay a 1st to have Romo as the starter with his back as it is, at his age.

I could certainly be wrong and if you think they would give up a 1st I have no evidence to refute it, just a difference of opinion.

Its possible the owner said, I don't care about your previous mistake, I don't want Osweiler, get it done at any price in which case you would be correct, Cleveland should have gotten more. However, if the owner wasn't involved to the point where the GM had cover, and the GM who signed Osweiler last off-season to a big deal then gave a future 1st to move him from the team.......that GM is signing his own walking papers with the trade IMO, just don't see it happening.

Ok.

Hello Fumble!! :doublethumbsup:

I'm still around and post here and there. I plan on being more active again.

This is still my favorite board.

who are you?

Word is that the Browns are shopping Oz for a 3rd and they'll pay half his salary. If they manage to get that trade they will have basically purchased a 2nd AND a 3rd in 2018 for roughly 8 mil, which is great for the team.

If they don't swing a trade for him he will compete for their QB gig this year, which likely will improve their draft slot next year.

Not keeping Pryor (and watching him subsequently sign w the iggles fir 8 mil) bothers me far more than the Oz trade.

I'd agree. They should have found a way to keep Pryor.

but that's a problem the Browns are gonna have. They have been bad so long that people dont want to play there.

They may actually have no choice but to build through the draft. Signing/keeping free agents is gonna be tough until they establish some sort of winning culture there.

The good news is they seem to have a good coach who could get it done (if the team is patient enough) I thought Chud did some good work there, but then they turfed him to bring in someone who turned the team in the other direction.

unfortunate.

Either way, they have unused salary cap space, and if they are to rebuild through the draft they will need those draft picks so I really dont mind the move. and if they can unload Osweiler for a 3rd if they eat half his salary, then that's a decent return. it seems like a lot of cash to spend, but if they are under the salary cap floor, this is a reasonable way to spend their cash.