Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

DeMarco Murray retires

DeMarco Murray, a three-time Pro Bowl running back, has retired after seven seasons in the NFL. "It's been a long time thinking, the last year or two, and physically, mentally and emotionally, I think it's time for me to hang it up," Murray said while making his announcement Friday on ESPN's NFL Live.

Murray was at the top of his game in 2014 (393-1845-13; 54-416-0) when he finished as the No.1 running back in standard scoring leagues, No.2 in PPR. Henry reportedly met with Detroit, Miami, New Orleans and Seattle before calling it quits.

DeMarco Murray, a three-time Pro Bowl running back, has retired after seven seasons in the NFL. "It's been a long time thinking, the last year or two, and physically, mentally and emotionally, I think it's time for me to hang it up," Murray said while making his announcement Friday on ESPN's NFL Live.

Murray was at the top of his game in 2014 (393-1845-13; 54-416-0) when he finished as the No.1 running back in standard scoring leagues, No.2 in PPR. Murray reportedly met with Detroit, Miami, New Orleans and Seattle before calling it quits.

Typo I think on the Henry comment, but congrats to Murray, nice job in the NFL!

Welp, there goes the Murray to Buffalo speculation. Petersen or ride Ivory if Shady is out at all...

Is there talk of A Peterson going to the Bills?

Is there talk of A Peterson going to the Bills?

Only on FF websites. Not too many other FAs worth much out there

demarco was a strong, tough, runner...i grabbed him in the 4th a couple years ago and felt he was a great value there with the titans...i liked their offensive line and their schedule that year and thought he still had a good year left in him...and he did

also remember grabbing him off waivers in either one of his first two years(cant remember which one) and watched him late in the year and thought "wow this guy could really be something)

nice to see a guy who knows when his time is up and can let go

As a Cowboys fan he was the first top notch RB we had since Emmitt. I remember that 91 yard TD he broke in his first start.

He had a good few seasons in Dallas when he was healthy. Then he did pretty good in Nashville for a bit.

He was tough as nails to tackle, a poor man's Adrian Peterson.

It was fun to watch him play.

:doublethumbsup:

I am a little surprised he got so little interest.

at 30 years old, he may actually have one year in the tank. I would think one of two situations would be favourable for him:

1) he shares the starting role with a young back. his job would be to mentor the young player, teach him how to be a professional and groom him for the starting role.

2) he serves as the starter on a team that needs one. There are a couple of teams that could certainly use a starting calibre RB.

I do think Murray, (when healthy) has been productive. I realize he hasnt been that healthy and that is the problem.... but he seems to have a year like that every 2nd or third year for his whole career.

he could also be a top notch backup, but I suspect he would not accept such a role on any team.

that being said... I'm still surprised nobody was willing to take a chance on him. maybe he has certain salary expectations as well. I cannot say for sure. but I have enjoyed watching him play.

good luck in retirement Demarco!

I thought the Colts should have signed him. Their running game is ridiculously poor/thin.

• Like 1

I thought the Colts should have signed him. Their running game is ridiculously poor/thin.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I knew he made a mistake when he signed with Philly. :( I think both he & Dallas would have advanced had he stayed.

I knew he made a mistake when he signed with Philly. :( I think both he & Dallas would have advanced had he stayed.

i agree that philly was a mistake for him, but he wouldn't have made any difference for the team. the following year romo went down, and murray was never able to do accomplish much without romo. then came zeke, and murray can't compare with that talent level.

an argument could be made that murray was better in pass pro so maybe romo wouldn't have gotten hurt, but that would be a stretch.

i agree that philly was a mistake for him, but he wouldn't have made any difference for the team. the following year romo went down, and murray was never able to do accomplish much without romo. then came zeke, and murray can't compare with that talent level.

an argument could be made that murray was better in pass pro so maybe romo wouldn't have gotten hurt, but that would be a stretch.

Dallas takes Jalen Ramsey instead of Zeke if they still have Murray.

I dont think so... Romo's body was fragile toward the end of his career, and I dont think the presence of Murray would have made a difference.

Dallas takes Jalen Ramsey instead of Zeke if they still have Murray.

nope. murray probably would have been good for another win or two in the romo-less 2015 season, so best case would have been someone like hargreaves or lawson, to go along with substantially less cap space.

True, but if Murray's there Romo probably doesn't go down.

True, but if Murray's there Romo probably doesn't go down.

romo went down on an empty set. he went down again vs carolina, but the season was already lost at that point even had romo stayed in. still no zeke.

romo went down on an empty set. he went down again vs carolina, but the season was already lost at that point even had romo stayed in. still no zeke.

I'm referring to more of a time travel thing :P The future is changed because of real time events.

But yeah, it as probably inevitable now matter how you slice it. :dunno: