Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Brandon Weeden

Weeden seemed like a lock to end up with the Browns, whether it was at 22 or early in the second round. Ultimately, team president Mike Holmgren played the draft game right and went with the last "pro-ready" QB in the first since the draft is so deep at WR. What the first-round selection on Weeden suggests is that he will have a significant upper hand on Colt McCoy in training camp this summer, especially considering Weeden's "advanced" age. Weeden has a stronger arm than McCoy and should have significantly more weapons (Stephen Hill?) than McCoy ever did as a Brown. As of this moment, Weeden should probably go undrafted in most 12-team fantasy leagues. However, with Trent Richardson, Greg Little, Evan Moore, Ben Watson and a second-round addition in this draft, he'll have a chance at being a bye-week fill-in.

Browns really need to get some WR help in the remaining draft. Greg Little's stock goes up now (I am assuming that Weeden will start over McCoy), but he is not the answer. Actually, they could really use a veteran WR. However, with Richardson and Weeden to go along with the 5th ranked defense last season, they have made some huge strides already in round 1. Things are looking up in Browns country.

Weeden, if provided some firepower at WR, is gonna be the steal of the draft IMO. Remember, he already beat Luck, RG3, and Tannehill......in the same season.

Brad Evans, Evan Silva and Michael Fabino all reporting on twitter that Weeden will be starting week 1 and Browns trying to trade Colt McCoy.

www.ffgator.com has a twitter page that aggregates twitter by person and everyone seems to be saying the same thing. love Weeden.

I am not anti Weeden, but I am reasonably certain he would have been there in Rd 2. Now, I am certain they will miss out on Hill who is big and fast. With nobody to stretch the field, opponents will stack the box and contain TRich.

So, it's the same all over again.

A year from now, Browns fans will be saying, "well he didn't have anyone to throw it to", or "well, he was getting to much pressure because the O-line stinks".

I don't think I can watch the draft tonight. It's getting to be to depressing.

I am not anti Weeden, but I am reasonably certain he would have been there in Rd 2. Now, I am certain they will miss out on Hill who is big and fast. With nobody to stretch the field, opponents will stack the box and contain TRich.

So, it's the same all over again.

A year from now, Browns fans will be saying, "well he didn't have anyone to throw it to", or "well, he was getting to much pressure because the O-line stinks".

I don't think I can watch the draft tonight. It's getting to be to depressing.

Its groundhog day. 2yr lifespan on every qb they draft

Holmgren is overrated GM

Weeden is as old as Rodgers and Cutler. Shoulder trouble forced him to give up professional baseball. He has limited mobility. He hasn't played much under center. He will be saddled with a corps of untalented receivers. I don't think Brandon's their answer.

The Browns keep drafting QBs to replace the busts they drafted previously. They will soon be looking to replace Weeden. Holmgren is a great coach and a good guy, but he has never seemed to be an astute personnel man. Holmgren was stripped of some of his duties in SEA, and he is not redeeming himself in CLE.

Its groundhog day. 2yr lifespan on every qb they draft

Holmgren is overrated GM

Nobody who knows anything about football thinks Holmhren is a good GM. The Browns should've traded both first rounders plus to move up to 2 and take RG3. I like the Richardson pick even though they probably should've called the Vikes bluff and drafted him at 4. Weedon was a huge reach though - a mid 2nd rounder at best. They have no plan in Cleveland and Holmgren will be looking for a new job before long.

Yes, again, the man is gonna need some more WR help. It is no secret that Cleveland is in a rebuilding mode this year, and probably won't be highly competitive. However, in the 2-3 year timespan, as Richardson comes along, and WR help is secured/developed.....Weeden is gonna shock the world. It was a Great pick for the Browns.

(Let me reiterate....last season Weeden beat RG3, Tannehill, and Luck....and did it without a defense.)

Yes, again, the man is gonna need some more WR help. It is no secret that Cleveland is in a rebuilding mode this year, and probably won't be highly competitive. However, in the 2-3 year timespan, as Richardson comes along, and WR help is secured/developed.....Weeden is gonna shock the world. It was a Great pick for the Browns.

(Let me reiterate....last season Weeden beat RG3, Tannehill, and Luck....and did it without a defense.)

I could be completely off base, but how good were Baylor, Texas A & M, & Stanford's defense's? Not to mention Weeden had the #1 WR in this draft class to throw to. Not saying your wrong, but that plays into the equation as well.

Nobody who knows anything about football thinks Holmhren is a good GM. The Browns should've traded both first rounders plus to move up to 2 and take RG3. I like the Richardson pick even though they probably should've called the Vikes bluff and drafted him at 4. Weedon was a huge reach though - a mid 2nd rounder at best. They have no plan in Cleveland and Holmgren will be looking for a new job before long.

It wasnt about the vikings bluffing. Tampa wanted to trade up so they had a bidding war for t rich.

Weeden beating other qbs means absolutely nothing. Unless they were playing chess and not football

Keep dreaming but reality is Chris Weinke. Congrats

It wasnt about the vikings bluffing. Tampa wanted to trade up so they had a bidding war for t rich.

And a bidding war does not warrant the amt of picks. A good gm stays put and picks blackmond or trades down.

The browns are morons.

Weeden beating other qbs means absolutely nothing.

We shall certainly see.

Mark this post if you choose.....Weeden, in time, will be a force as an NFL QB.

aaah huh huh huh

He said Weedon...

aaah huh huh huh

He said brownies...

We shall certainly see.

Mark this post if you choose.....Weeden, in time, will be a force as an NFL QB.

Like Couch Frye Mccoy...a force...lol

Holmgren was so impressed with weeden that he was about to draft the 3rd or 4th best WR instead of him and go with McCoy as franchise QB

LOL a force...don't give him too much time as Weinke I mean Weeden is turning 30 soon

Like Couch Frye Mccoy...a force...lol

Holmgren was so impressed with weeden that he was about to draft the 3rd or 4th best WR instead of him and go with McCoy as franchise QB

LOL a force...don't give him too much time as Weinke I mean Weeden is turning 30 soon

Keep laughing boss. The "in time" aspect is only because he landed in Cleveland with some mediocre (at best) WR's.....which will have to be upgraded through free agency, trades, and/or next years draft. I believe his age and maturity are actually a plus, and having Trent Richardson in the backfield and a top 5-10 defense cannot be overstated. In fact, RG3 is the only QB that I would have drafted in front of Weeden.

You probably were a nay-sayer about Aaron Rodgers before he got his first start after warming the bench for a few years also. Most were.....or at least neutral. I was not....and drafted him in all leagues. Weedens game and potential reminds me a lot of his. Holmgren wasn't showing any particular skill when he made this pick, but probably just luck.

Keep laughing boss. The "in time" aspect is only because he landed in Cleveland with some mediocre (at best) WR's.....which will have to be upgraded through free agency, trades, and/or next years draft. I believe his age and maturity are actually a plus, and having Trent Richardson in the backfield and a top 5-10 defense cannot be overstated. In fact, RG3 is the only QB that I would have drafted in front of Weeden.

You probably were a nay-sayer about Aaron Rodgers before he got his first start after warming the bench for a few years also. Most were.....or at least neutral. I was not....and drafted him in all leagues. Weedens game and potential reminds me a lot of his. Holmgren wasn't showing any particular skill when he made this pick, but probably just luck.

Top 5 to 10 defense only if they play AFC west and NFC west every season. Don't believe that defensive hype.

Aaron Rodgers...really?

It doesn't matter if Weeden or McCoy is playing because their pass attack is still going to lack the talent coming out of their recievers. Greg Little was a big flop of a draft pick last year and hardly managed to do anything. Mohamed Massaquoi hasn't really been talked about since 2010, and Benjamin Watson is on the low end scale of a fantasy target. McCoy is not a bad quarterback, you just need to get him some targets. I don't understand why Holmgrem took Weeden because what they really needed was an impact Wide Reciever like Justin Blackmon or Michael Floyd. If they had kept Hillis, drafted Blackmon, kept starting McCoy they could potentially have some offensive value, but instead they drop Hillis, draft RB Richardson, and QB Weeden. Their still out a WR. How do they not understand this?

It doesn't matter if Weeden or McCoy is playing because their pass attack is still going to lack the talent coming out of their recievers. Greg Little was a big flop of a draft pick last year and hardly managed to do anything. Mohamed Massaquoi hasn't really been talked about since 2010, and Benjamin Watson is on the low end scale of a fantasy target. McCoy is not a bad quarterback, you just need to get him some targets. I don't understand why Holmgrem took Weeden because what they really needed was an impact Wide Reciever like Justin Blackmon or Michael Floyd. If they had kept Hillis, drafted Blackmon, kept starting McCoy they could potentially have some offensive value, but instead they drop Hillis, draft RB Richardson, and QB Weeden. Their still out a WR. How do they not understand this?

Agree, Holmgren could have played this offseason a dozen different ways, but this strategy is questionable at best

Sign Flynn and draft Blackmon and you have an instant passing game

I actually love the Richardson pick and think he'll make that offense a whole lot better. I didn't like handing over 2 picks to move up one spot though - the Browns have too many needs to get infatuated with any player. What they should've done is dealt both 1st to move up to 2 and draft RG3. Barring that, stay put and draft the best players on the board. I love Richardson and I guess that pick was justified, but Weedon was a major panic reach.

Sign Flynn and draft Blackmon and you have an instant passing game

Can't argue that strategy. However, without at least the threat of a viable ground game, you still get smoked....at least in that division.

I too would have loved a stud wr for the Browns. The thing is with this regime is that they at least understand it takes time to build a contender. Holmgrem/Heckert's first 2 drafts spent their first 2 picks each draft on defense (Haden/Ward/Taylor/Sheard) and it has paid dividends. This year they spent their first 3 picks (rb/qb/rt) on the offense. I fully expect wr to be addressed next year in the draft. It sucks that they have so many holes they can't address all in one offseason, but I appreciate the fact they are sticking to their plan and I hope by next season most needs will finally be addressed and we can start thinking of a playoff possibility.

Top 5 to 10 defense only if they play AFC west and NFC west every season. Don't believe that defensive hype.

I agree. I watched the Matt Hasselbeck led Brittless Titans offense carve that defense a new ######. They sucked last year.

I agree. I watched the Matt Hasselbeck led Brittless Titans offense carve that defense a new ######. They sucked last year.

Yeah it was one of Chris Johnson's 2 stomach-able games. The Brown's were second to last in rush defense. It was sad last year and has been sad every year. remember that 180 yard 3 td game Purple Jesus had against the Browns a few years ago? One of my favorite performances.