Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**2012 Baseball talk thread**

Still way early into the season and even those teams at the bottom of the standings are by no means out of anything yet. But some early trends are eye-catching.

* Tampa Bay is dead last in all of baseball for team pitching e.r.a.

* The Angels are damn near no better, sitting in the 28th worst spot. Very shocking considering how good that unit was last year.

* Washington, really?

* Albert Puljos - early candidate for bust of the year.

* And my Rangers. I don't think it's suprising the 2-time defending AL Champ is playing well, what's surprising is the pitching going on. Holy crap, It's like we have the 90's Braves staff or something: team e.r.a of 2.60, starting rotation is 11-2, starters combined e.r.a. is 2.70. For the year the team has a run differential of +51, the next closest in the majors is +34. I like the early start, we will need it - always seem to falter a bit during the scorching summer heat here.

I don't see what is so shocking about Washington... They bolstered their pitching staff over the off-season and have Strasburg from day one (though on a possible inning limit)... They were 80-81 last year...

But they have played a pretty weak schedule so far with the Cubs, Astros and Padres... Could see how they will look with the Dodgers this weekend...

I'll admit I don't follow the National league much, the 80-81 was sort of unnoticed. Speaking of that league, what the hell is up with the Phillies? Lots of people had them and the Angels in the WS beore the start of the season - not so hot starts...... Rangers fans - catch Yu's pitching performance last night? Wow, it was damn near a masterpiece - completely shut down the Yankees and had them looking like fools. If this is Yu that everybody was raving about - the $100 million investment may have some return.

The Phillies are averaging 3.11 RPG... That won't win you many games...

Plus they have had a lot of injuries as well...

The nationals are just a year away from being a real force.

For my cubs, I knew theyd be bad, but not this bad. I do like that they got rid of byrd and brought campana up. How many guys in MLB can say they have four steals against Yadira Molina and that they've done that in only two games..

My team is at the bottom and put a fork in them,suckage at its finest

Royals slogan this year...Our Time should be (wasting) Our Time :cry:

My team is at the bottom and put a fork in them,suckage at its finest

Royals slogan this year...Our Time should be (wasting) Our Time :cry:

Ned yost has made some pretty boneheaded calls this year. I forget who it was but he lead off with a single, then he tries to bunt him over with the heart of the lineup coming up. Why waste the out? I understand if you want to avoid the double play, but it's not like it's NL ball with a pitcher up. Surprise surprise, royals don't score.

The Phillies are averaging 3.11 RPG... That won't win you many games...

Plus they have had a lot of injuries as well...

still can't figure out why people would want to watch a baseball game... :banana:

Ned yost has made some pretty boneheaded calls this year. I forget who it was but he lead off with a single, then he tries to bunt him over with the heart of the lineup coming up. Why waste the out? I understand if you want to avoid the double play, but it's not like it's NL ball with a pitcher up. Surprise surprise, royals don't score.

I gave up watching as there has been at least one boneheaded call(if not more)in every single game of the losing streak.According to the highlights Monday night was a gem when the 3rd base coach held Moose up from scoring and the ball was still in the RF corner,they said it would've taken a Bo Jackson perfect throw to have gotten him. :doh:

First off I would like to go ahead and toss out a good old fashioned ###### you to mike for not making a sub forum for baseball.....how hard would that be? Apparently.....very.

Second......the season is young and a lot of players have not lived up to what their potential is. But some of these players have new surroundings, new parks and new pitchers to get used to so while they may be looking bad now.....they are just adjusting.

My tigers are looking good. Not as good as the rangers of course......and to be honest we probably never will till leyland is gone. But ya do with what ya got......we got a team full of potential and a manager thats a moron and likes to prove he is smarter than everyone else......making stupid moves just to say...see......i told ya so...1 out of 10 times and the situation at second base is a ###### joke.If Ramon Santaigo beat leyland to death with a baseball bat I would stand up and bear witness to the fact it was self defense....im sure that Santiago is focking leylands wife/daughter/grand daughter or a pick and play combo of all 3.

Players I am not impressed with so far not mentioned. Giancarlo "my name is not mike.....it sounds to white in this latin market" Stanton he has not hit a homer in 55 at bats.....if he can't hit home runs his .250 avg is going to be a liability for the fish.

Bobby V though not a player has seemed to me like a full on focking moron. He has said some really dumb ###### about youk and he and the GM are basically in a fight about what to do with danial bard. Bobby wants him in the pen and has made no bones about it while the gm wants him stretched out. The bullpen situation right now is going to allow bard to be sent back to the bp and is going to shake his confidence. I am still waiting for boston to trade for Koji Uhera though.

Brennan Boesch......hitting .211 with 8 rbi...6 runs scored and a single walk. If ya can't hit from the 2 spot someone else will step up im sure.

My tigers are looking good. Not as good as the rangers of course......and to be honest we probably never will till leyland is gone. But ya do with what ya got......we got a team full of potential and a manager thats a moron and likes to prove he is smarter than everyone else......making stupid moves just to say...see......i told ya so...1 out of 10 times and the situation at second base is a ###### joke.If Ramon Santaigo beat leyland to death with a baseball bat I would stand up and bear witness to the fact it was self defense....im sure that Santiago is focking leylands wife/daughter/grand daughter or a pick and play combo of all 3.

I was reading some of the Tigers' message boards heading into the Rangers series, and then after. Lots of talk of Cabby's weight loss, how much did he lose? They were saying he isn't hitting with as much authority - I don't know. I also noticed in the series the lack of range the Tigers have at the corners. Yea there is lots of bat pop, but is there concern that could become a defensive liability?

I was reading some of the Tigers' message boards heading into the Rangers series, and then after. Lots of talk of Cabby's weight loss, how much did he lose? They were saying he isn't hitting with as much authority - I don't know. I also noticed in the series the lack of range the Tigers have at the corners. Yea there is lots of bat pop, but is there concern that could become a defensive liability?

corners hell. when ryan raburn is in the lineup at 2nd we have the worst fielding tigers team maybe ever.....hitting it on the ground is going to be a very productive strategy.

First off, The Rangers are good. Really good. Probably the most complete team I've seen since I got into baseball.

Tigers are also really good, but a lot of the bats have gone cold after a hot start. They will get going again. The Tigers pitching looks fantastic outside of a wildly inconsistent Max, how about this Smyly kid? One thing I hate about Detroit/Tiger fans is overreacting, already talks about how they won't win the Central. Really? 15 games in to the season? I think they will win the division by 20 games.

Also, I haven't been able to watch too many games, but the ones I have seen Miggy looks like a very viable 3rd basemen. He almost had a webgem yesterday when he made a diving grab, but fumbled the exchange.

Also, Inge needs to go away.

I am not sure where they stand currently, but as of a few games ago, the Tigers were #1 in defense :shocking: Fielder is a good 1b, and Miggy is looking more and more like a solid 3B. I think he is like Peralta, in that he isn't flashy and doesn't have much range, but he makes the plays he should make.

Where's cmh. I want to know what the bell happened to kc. They looked Sharp pre season

Where's cmh. I want to know what the bell happened to kc. They looked Sharp pre season

Games a little different when pitchers throw breaking balls

It was spring training... Pitchers work on different things...

I am not sure where they stand currently, but as of a few games ago, the Tigers were #1 in defense :shocking: Fielder is a good 1b, and Miggy is looking more and more like a solid 3B. I think he is like Peralta, in that he isn't flashy and doesn't have much range, but he makes the plays he should make.

I think they are ranked 6th now. But from what I saw it wasn't so much the errors they made - it's the balls they didn't get to that turned into hits instead of outs. I don't think that's reflected in the stats, but you can see it on the field. When Michael Young is in the field playing 3rd or 1st I see it with him - makes a big difference after a while, glad he's not a regular fielding starter.

I think they are ranked 6th now. But from what I saw it wasn't so much the errors they made - it's the balls they didn't get to that turned into hits instead of outs. I don't think that's reflected in the stats, but you can see it on the field. When Michael Young is in the field playing 3rd or 1st I see it with him - makes a big difference after a while, glad he's not a regular fielding starter.

That's the trouble with standard defense stats. It makes Fielder and even Y. Betacourt(Brewer fan, I know about guys without range - ;) ) look okay when the fact is they don't get anything that isn't hit directly to them.

Games a little different when pitchers throw breaking balls

It was spring training... Pitchers work on different things...

guys im not saying they should be as good as they were during spring ball. they probably went up against a bunch of guys who are pitching in the minors right now.

just saying they looked a lot better than this. i think you'd have to agree. I think they just set a record for april futility?

Atleast you all aren't Twins fans.

- our pitching staff and overall piyching philosophy (pitch to contact) is horsesh!t.

- our only talented pitcher (Liriano) is a headcase and can't throw strikes

- our pitchers mysteriously seem to always develop elbow issues after the team tries to mess with with their delivery.

- our $184 million catcher is a focking poosay who can't hit anything other than a single

- our other former MVP is one hit in the head away from being a vegetable

- our starting infield consists of a 38 year old journeyman (Carrol), a 2b who shouldn't be starting on a AA team (Casilla), and a 3b who is more worried about looking good than learning how to hit a breaking pitch.

- our closer gives up at least a run every time out...and we traded the best catching prospect for him.

-Our manager has won exactly ONE playoff series (against a mediocre A's team)

- our only good prospect is a 19 year old power hitter who can't field.

But the absolute WORST is the indescribable multitude of insufferable homer fans who thinks this team can do no wrong, and the "Twins Way" actually works. They get pissy if you boo, the get up in arms if anyone criticizes the Baby Jesus (Mauer), and they think this team is a player ar two way from contending.

But, hey, Target Field is pretty focking sweet. :thumbsup:

Atleast you all aren't Twins fans.

- our pitching staff and overall piyching philosophy (pitch to contact) is horsesh!t.

- our only talented pitcher (Liriano) is a headcase and can't throw strikes

- our pitchers mysteriously seem to always develop elbow issues after the team tries to mess with with their delivery.

- our $184 million catcher is a focking poosay who can't hit anything other than a single

- our other former MVP is one hit in the head away from being a vegetable

- our starting infield consists of a 38 year old journeyman (Carrol), a 2b who shouldn't be starting on a AA team (Casilla), and a 3b who is more worried about looking good than learning how to hit a breaking pitch.

- our closer gives up at least a run every time out...and we traded the best catching prospect for him.

-Our manager has won exactly ONE playoff series (against a mediocre A's team)

- our only good prospect is a 19 year old power hitter who can't field.

But the absolute WORST is the indescribable multitude of insufferable homer fans who thinks this team can do no wrong, and the "Twins Way" actually works. They get pissy if you boo, the get up in arms if anyone criticizes the Baby Jesus (Mauer), and they think this team is a player ar two way from contending.

But, hey, Target Field is pretty focking sweet. :thumbsup:

must be stuck in the hunter days when their way did work for a short time.

Pineda out for the entire season, not having even thrown one pitch. Ouch, that's got to sting a bit for the Yanks considering they gave up their #1 top prospect to get him.

Nats pitching is for real. The stole a Cy Young candidate in Gio Gonzales while the big boys were pursuing the namebrands.

Nats pitching is for real. The stole a Cy Young candidate in Gio Gonzales while the big boys were pursuing the namebrands.

Stole?

They gave up a lot of top prospects to get him... They gave up Derek Norris, Tom Milone, Brad Peacock, and A.J. Cole...

Stole?

They gave up a lot of top prospects to get him... They gave up Derek Norris, Tom Milone, Brad Peacock, and A.J. Cole...

Prospects. :rolleyes: I'll do that for 20 game winner potential every time. It was a classic "moneyball" trade.

I will admit that I was sad to see Milone go. I have a great feeling about the guy.

Fock the Tigers and fock baseball. This is focking DUMB, the Mariners? Really, are they much better than they let on to be, or do the Tigers just suck a fock?

Fock the Tigers and fock baseball. This is focking DUMB, the Mariners? Really, are they much better than they let on to be, or do the Tigers just suck a fock?

The Mariners are not a good baseball team - average at best. They have damn near no hitting - .241 team batting average and little to no power. And their pitching isn't stellar either - a 3.99 team era is nothing to be proud of. I still think they will finish at the bottom of the West.

Humber Perfect game follow up is a 9 run 5 inning performance against the Red Sox....

Red Sox have won 4 in a row.

Mike Pelfrey is 99% sure he is going to have Tommy John Surgery

The Mets, starting a lineup consisting entirely of homegrown players for the first time since 1971, had a comeback win against the Marlins.

Albert Pujols went 1 for 4, ending his hitless streak at 21 at-bats but still no HRs through the Angels first 19 games.

Bottom Feeders

AL

Twins and Royals 5-14

NL

Padres 6-14

Keep the thread going

Giancarlo "don't call me mike" Stanton has yet to hit a home run in 61 at bats. This kid was supposed to be the hulk in disguise. Some say its the ballpark, some say its his balky knee that is sapping his power. Either way he is not doing what he is paid to do....which is mash homers.

Ian Kinsler is on fire. I mean real honest to god ya might as well hit him/walk him every time he comes to bat fire.

2B Ian Kinsler scored two runs to increase his total to 20 in the first 19 games. Kinsler is on pace for 170 if he were to play every game. Since 1950, only one player has scored as many as 150 runs in a season: Houston's Jeff Bagwell in 2000. The 20 runs are a personal high for April for Kinsler. He scored 19 in 2008, but his season ended early that year due to a mid-August sports hernia. He scored 17 last April on the way to 121 for the year. That was the fifth highest full-season total in club history

Hopefully KC can keep their head out of their ass and get a series win vs. the other division and AL bottom feeder the twinkies because then it's home to face the yanks and red sox.

Everybody can relax about Pujols. Albert is Albert and by the end of the year, his numbers will reflect it. How about Jeter? The guy is batting .419 for crying out loud!

Everybody can relax about Pujols. Albert is Albert and by the end of the year, his numbers will reflect it. How about Jeter? The guy is batting .419 for crying out loud!

Kc will be fine. Its a young season and their hitters have not really come around yet. Gordon is looking more like he is getting back on track and Felipe Paulino should be back next week to help shore up the rotation. I still think they are going to make a major push THIS year.

As far as jeter. He dropped the leg kick last year after he got hurt which is allowing him to get to the ball quicker. In his last 80 games dating back to when he came back from the injury he is hitting something like .370

Kc will be fine. Its a young season and their hitters have not really come around yet. Gordon is looking more like he is getting back on track and Felipe Paulino should be back next week to help shore up the rotation. I still think they are going to make a major push THIS year.

I hope you're right as I have three Vegas futures bet tickets for KC hanging on my office wall.

Ian Kinsler is on fire. I mean real honest to god ya might as well hit him/walk him every time he comes to bat fire.

2B Ian Kinsler scored two runs to increase his total to 20 in the first 19 games. Kinsler is on pace for 170 if he were to play every game. Since 1950, only one player has scored as many as 150 runs in a season: Houston's Jeff Bagwell in 2000. The 20 runs are a personal high for April for Kinsler. He scored 19 in 2008, but his season ended early that year due to a mid-August sports hernia. He scored 17 last April on the way to 121 for the year. That was the fifth highest full-season total in club history

Kinsler is an incredible player - he's the lightening rod that makes it all happen. But he usually starts hot every year, he will still have his stretches of poor at bats and k's - hopefully he's learning to take walks now though.

I hate life. If this ends up like 2008(and it's scarily similar with all the hype) then I will not be happy.

The Tigers need Fister back, they need that 2nd reliable starter who you know 90% of the time will give you 6, 7, 8 quality innings. Max looks awful, Rick only has 2 bad innings on the year, but when he is bad he is like REALLY bad for some reason. Smyly could be the "5th" starter when Fister comes back to solve that issue.

It's still really early and this has been a bad stretch, but it's not looking great for the Tigers. I only care that they make the playoffs, it's all about what they do in the playoffs this year.