Sign in to follow this  
BufordT

The Rex Burkhead Train

This ain't saying much but I think he'll be more productive than Gio. He doesn't have straight line speed but he can do everything else that's required of a 3rd down/passing down back. He's got (reportedly) great hands so he should be a solid PPR guy.

Picked him up this week as well. I read somewhere that they wanted to get him involved even before Gio injury. Not sure what to expect but he's worth a roster spot in semi deep leagues imo.

I'd think you'd have to be in a VERY large league (like a 16-teamer) to ever use a 6th rounder who has done nothing in 2.5 years. His "career" numbers are frightening. 19 carries for 70 yards (3.7 avg) and 1 TD and 19 catches for 167 yards (8.8 avg) and another TD plus a fumble lost. That's really, really bad. Obvious 4th string/special teams level talent, at best.

That said, he does have an opportunity.

• Like 1

I'd think you'd have to be in a VERY large league (like a 16-teamer) to ever use a 6th rounder who has done nothing in 2.5 years. His "career" numbers are frightening. 19 carries for 70 yards (3.7 avg) and 1 TD and 19 catches for 167 yards (8.8 avg) and another TD plus a fumble lost. That's really, really bad. Obvious 4th string/special teams level talent, at best.

That said, he does have an opportunity

Yes, those are his career numbers. But this year, 2016, he's figured it out....6.5 YPC and 12 yds/reception. :ninja:

A guy averaging a TD every 19 touches only needs opportunity, right? ...He's a flier but any RB in line to potentially get 10 touches a game is roster worthy in 12+ team leagues. That's the state of the RB position these days.

Burkhead has value considering the situation of Cincys Receiving core.....The Bengals considered moving Burkhead into a slot receiver because of his great hands this past training camp, adding the fact of losing Sanu & Jones in free agency .......Losing Green and now relying on a rookie {Boyd} and a up & down often injured Brandon Lafell , this could make Burkhead a interesting pickup somewhat similar to how Danny Woodhead is used....If you need a fill in to cover a injury or whatever week 1 of the playoffs {week 14} Rex Burkhead will faceoff against the Browns, a sneaky option looking ahead.....

Yeah I would agree.

He's diffently worthy of a roster spot.

Here is the question, if Burkhead is productive, why didn't Cincy use him more before the Bernard injury? They had so few receiving options as it was.

Coaches are confusing at times.

Bernard is more explosive and so forth is the better option.

I don't see Rex being more than a good pick for injury issues.

Bernard is more explosive as a pure RB , but Burkhead is considered a better receiver which appears to be a huge plus without Green.....Burkhead was kept on the roster for his versatility as a combo back and special teams player, beating out RB Cedric Peerman as the third RB.....Teams will stuff the box vs a pure RB like Hillman, I expect Burkhead to see 10+ plays as a 3rd down back and possibly lined up as slot receiver even with Hill in the backfield on a few plays.....strictly as a fantasy football fill in I still see some value.

Here is the question, if Burkhead is productive, why didn't Cincy use him more before the Bernard injury? They had so few receiving options as it was.

Because he's one of those late bloomer types and it probably doesn't help that he's white. Also, the Cinci offense has no imagination and his HC is Marvin Lewis.

Burkhead will probably end up with the Pats next year and they'll figure out how to use this guy.

ETA: He only has potential value in full PPR leagues

The question is, do you cut Dixon for him?

Tough choice! Both look to be studs, given the opportunity. The lack of is all that's holding them back. If only their coaches knew how good they could be.

Maye Booker then? Or one of the Washingtons? Studs all. All hyped as the next big thing....that never was.

The question is, do you cut Dixon for him?

Tough choice! Both look to be studs, given the opportunity. The lack of is all that's holding them back. If only their coaches knew how good they could be.

Maye Booker then? Or one of the Washingtons? Studs all. All hyped as the next big thing....that never was.

Just imagine how more studs there would be if coaches only knew what they were doing

• Like 1

I wish coaches understood how to use the players that are on my ff teams.

• Like 1

I wish coaches understood how to use the players that are on my ff teams.

Preaching to the choir my friend!

:doublethumbsup:

It really depends what you're looking for from your RB2/flex, and your scoring. He may not be a special talent, but don't forget last year that many a fantasy championship included starting RBs Tim Hightower, Shaun Draughn and Buck Allen, so you don't have to necessarily be a special talent at the RB position to be fantasy relevant at this point of the year.

I'd say definitely worth a pickup (depending on of course who you'd drop; I wouldn't drop Dixon like the guy above asked) and to see how he's utilized.

Burkhead will probably end up with the Pats next year and they'll figure out how to use this guy.

RB3 with low end RB2 potential. Hopefully the Pats let him catch the ball some.

I think that's his strength.

Good call congrats.

I think that's his strength.

Good call congrats.

Agreed. Nice call on Burkhead. Pats always find a way to utilize players to their potential. Especially white guys. They will make this guy fantasy relevant