Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Your Mount Rushmore of Sports - All Sports included

Great, who are your other 3?

I haven't finalized it yet on who the other three would be to team up with Gretzky...

Idiots.

Jim Thorpe goes in the Washington position and then go through your lists to figure out who the next three are.

Idiots.

Jim Thorpe goes in the Washington position and then go through your lists to figure out who the next three are.

Meh, had to google him. He goes in the Otto Graham memorial gift shop, adjacent to the monument. Won gold medals in 1912 and played some pro ball, nothin to write home about and not vs black people.

He was however, voted top athelete of the twentieth century by abc sports.

All Time

Ted Williams

Michael Jordan

Joe Montana

Jack Nicklaus

Wayne Gretzky (idk why im including hockey)

Pele (idk why im including soccer)

My Personal

Tino Martinez

Kevin Garnett

Wayne Chrebet (slightly edging out Namath)

Phil Mickelson (slightly edging out Norman)

Teemu Selane

Landon Donovan

I haven't finalized it yet on who the other three would be to team up with Gretzky...

Christ this isn't focking graded. Put yourself out there for funs sake.

Greg Louganis

Bruce Jenner

Butterbean

Evel Knievel

Roger Staubach ~ Tom Landry ~ Emmitt Smith ~ Tony Romo

Dallas Cowboys / NFL

No other sports hold a candle to the NFL and why would I add anybody but Cowboys?

Romo...holy fock how quickly can you lose even something like this.

Idiots.

Everyone's an idiot for not having a guy who died before most were even born here? I'm 46 and he passed 16 years before I was born so I damn sure never saw him... Yet we should all have him on "our" personal Rushmore... Moron calling anyone an idiot, priceless.

Evel Knievel

We grew up thinking he was really good at what he did, but seeing him again in the last few years, he wasn't very good at all. Sure he was brave & crazy.....but he pretty much sucked compared to today's average cyclist.

Romo...holy fock how quickly can you lose even something like this.

Romo rocks!......that's my boy!

"normal" sports stars that I've seen play:

Rice, Jordan, Federer, Phelps

"alternative" athletes that are just as dominant:

Kelley Slater, Killian Jornet, Alex Honnold, Lance Armstrong (even considering PEDs)

Jerry Rice

Michael Jordan

Don Mattingly

Calbert Chaeney (IU - Big 10 leader in points version)

Don and Cal are from my hometown.

I'm going to stick to Ali/Jordan/Pele/Gretzky. I think you can put Ruth in for either Ali or Gretzky. I think MJ and Pele are the two must-haves from a world sports perspective.

My personal/Detroit Rushmore would be either Cobb/Sanders/Howe/Louis or Cobb/Howe/Thomas/Louis....something like that. It's tough to put Sanders on there without a championship, but it's tough growing in the 90s to not put Sanders or Yzerman/Lidstrom on there. I think Howe and Cobb are must-haves. Louis would be one but he was born and spent his first 12 years in Alabama, which I actually didn't know until looking it up. He is thought of as a Detroit legend IN Detroit though. Miguel Cabrera will be on there, and I think he'll be a must-have if he ever wins a ring. You can argue 2 pennants is just as good.

Ali

Ruth

Jordan

Thorpe

Dismiss Thorpe all you want, but do a little research first.

1912 Olympic Gold Medalist in the Pentathlon and the Decathlon. Won 4 of the Pentathlon events and outscored the Decathlon silver medalist by 700+ points.

His Olympic achievements alone qualify him for this conversation.

2 time All American Football Player playing RB, K, P and Defender. Led his team to victories over perennial powerhouses Harvard and West Point in the early 1900's.

Played 6 years in the major leagues, hitting over .300 just once. ( his final season)

5 years of professional football with the Canton Bulldogs helping to pioneer the sport and bring it to the national stage. Led his team to league championships in 1916, 17 and 19. His Canton team was one of the original 14 pro teams in a league that was eventually renamed the NFL. He continued to play pro ball wih several teams through 1928.

He is the greatest all around athlete the world has ever known.

Bo who?

Deion who?

And Bruce's Wheaties boxes should all be recalled and re-issued with Thorpe's photo instead.

• Like 1

Jordan

Jordan

Jordan

Tyson

Watching a Tyson fight in his prime was like no other event in my 41 year sports history. Watching Jordan's dominate career iras like no other in my sports history

I could get behind this :thumbsup:

We grew up thinking he was really good at what he did, but seeing him again in the last few years, he wasn't very good at all. Sure he was brave & crazy.....but he pretty much sucked compared to today's average cyclist.

Great analysis. Would like your take on Butterbean. Thanks

Least profitable tourist attraction ever. A who's who of who? (Save for Hawk)

Who said anything about tourist attractions? :dunno:

Also, who said anything about profit?

edjr changed the game on us again? Damn him all to fock

Fine.

Also, also, I'll drop Dias and plug in either Shaun White or Shaun Palmer.

Great analysis. Would like your take on Butterbean. Thanks

ha ha.....no

don't know much about him

makes me wonder, was Mount Rushmore always intended to stop at 4? I mean couldn't we put a 5th person up there if by chance they do something monumental?

Noooooo thanks. You know who would be going up there.

makes me wonder, was Mount Rushmore always intended to stop at 4? I mean couldn't we put a 5th person up there if by chance they do something monumental?

No. Shut up.

Idiots.

who?

Big in China is he?

• Like 1

Ali

Ruth

Jordan

Thorpe

Dismiss Thorpe all you want, but do a little research first.

1912 Olympic Gold Medalist in the Pentathlon and the Decathlon. Won 4 of the Pentathlon events and outscored the Decathlon silver medalist by 700+ points.

His Olympic achievements alone qualify him for this conversation.

2 time All American Football Player playing RB, K, P and Defender. Led his team to victories over perennial powerhouses Harvard and West Point in the early 1900's.

Played 6 years in the major leagues, hitting over .300 just once. ( his final season)

5 years of professional football with the Canton Bulldogs helping to pioneer the sport and bring it to the national stage. Led his team to league championships in 1916, 17 and 19. His Canton team was one of the original 14 pro teams in a league that was eventually renamed the NFL. He continued to play pro ball wih several teams through 1928.

He is the greatest all around athlete the world has ever known.

As a matter fact, I did do a little research... I can appreciate and respect Thorpe for his achievements - no doubt. But there are some things to consider.

* Yes, he was an Olympic champion - and you can only play against who've you got.... But if you were to place his results from the 1912 games into the field of Jenner's 1976 games - Thorpe finishes middle, to lower middle of the pack. In some of the events, he's damn near the bottom.

* Yes, he was a pioneer in the sport of football. But he played back when there were barely 14 teams or so. And of course, he played against all whites... Say what you will - the game wasn't the same w/out blacks in the sport.

* And as I always ask myself about Rushmore candidates - what did he transcend? What is it Thorpe did that impacted the landscape of an existing sport today? Did he create a culture? Did he initiate a movement? Is his legacy still talked about and compared to today? .......... I do say this with all due respect to the man - he would be the only person in the history of a Rushmore mountain that people would have to ask or Google who that is.. And when they found out, they'd still have to ask who that was.

Phelps > Thorpe

Oil Can Boyd

Dwight Gooden

Dock Ellis

Lawrence Taylor

Oil Can Boyd

Dwight Gooden

Dock Ellis

Lawrence Taylor

#coketeam

Oil Can Boyd

Dwight Gooden

Dock Ellis

Lawrence Taylor

No Irving Fryar?

No Irving Fryar?

very good point, i will bring your comment back to the election committee and report back

OJ

Rae Carruth

Andre Caldwell

Arron Hernandez

Ray Lewis?

Ok. Caldwell out, Lewis in

• Like 1

OJ

Rae Carruth

Andre Caldwell

Arron Hernandez

OJ did his murdering 20 years after retiring. The rest of the bozos did it while still playing or pretty damn close to it. You can't fix stupid

Darrell Russell?