Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Federer > Woods

Wait, Federer and Nadal are still the best and winning these? That was a decade or more ago, they are still at it? No younger players have taken the mantle?

Wait, Federer and Nadal are still the best and winning these? That was a decade or more ago, they are still at it? No younger players have taken the mantle?

Djocavic looked prime to take over, but a few injuries have set him back a bit. That's what makes Federer so great. His durability. He's the oldest Wimbledon winner of the modern era (whatever the hell that means). There have been spurts where guys like Nadal and Djocavic were better than him. But it never last for long because they get injured. Federer just keeps plugging along. I'd love to see him with a 20th Slam.

• Like 1

PEDs

While I don't believe Fed uses PED's, this is a topic of conversation that has been raised in the tennis community often over the last decade. Hell, Federer was one of the people calling for the ATP and tennis anti-doping to be stronger back in 2012.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/rogerfederer/9654687/Roger-Federer-wants-to-be-drug-tested-more-often-as-worries-mount-over-anti-doping-programme-in-tennis.html

PEDs

Guys that use PEDs get hurt, like your boy Tiger.

I could be totally off.. But I feel like it's much easier for the next GOAT to come along in tennis than I do in golf. Why, idk - maybe it just seems easier to dominate in tennis than it does in golf... There is a damn good chance we might not see Jack, or even Tiger, challenged in our lifetimes... Tennis? I would not be surprised to see Rog's records broken before I kick the bucket. :dunno:

I could be totally off.. But I feel like it's much easier for the next GOAT to come along in tennis than I do in golf. Why, idk - maybe it just seems easier to dominate in tennis than it does in golf... There is a damn good chance we might not see Jack, or even Tiger, challenged in our lifetimes... Tennis? I would not be surprised to see Rog's records broken before I kick the bucket. :dunno:

You are totally off.

You are totally off.

I don't know.

In tennis, when you have superstar power - you can pretty much pencil them into the semis of most majors.. Along those lines, I'd love to know how many semi final appearances Rog, Nadal and Djokovic have - I bet it's a ton.. That just isn't the case in golf - so much more rare for a super star to be in one of the final groups come Sunday in a major.

Looking back, before Jack hit the scenes in the 60's, there was only 1 golfer with double digit major wins.. And since the 60's, there have only been 2 to achieve even that... In tennis, the board is flooded with double digit major winners. With 3 active players currently still racking up titles as we speak... The #'s certainly suggest it's more likely to see the next GOAT in tennis than golf, no?

I don't know.

In tennis, when you have superstar power - you can pretty much pencil them into the semis of most majors.. Along those lines, I'd love to know how many semi final appearances Rog, Nadal and Djokovic have - I bet it's a ton.. That just isn't the case in golf - so much more rare for a super star to be in one of the final groups come Sunday in a major.

Looking back, before Jack hit the scenes in the 60's, there was only 1 golfer with double digit major wins.. And since the 60's, there have only been 2 to achieve even that... In tennis, the board is flooded with double digit major winners. With 3 active players currently still racking up titles as we speak... The #'s certainly suggest it's more likely to see the next GOAT in tennis than golf, no?

you killed it...tennis seeds, golf doesn't. They play against everyone and differentiating conditions. Tennis is played in the exact same box every time. The difficulty to dominate is not even close, its golf by a mile.

Roger Federer overtakes Tiger Woods as overall individual prize money winner

Tiger is still the all time individual prize money winner by anyone who's ever been clonked in the head with a 9-iron by an angry wife though. :music_guitarred:

Jesus, he won AGAIN?

What did Tiger do this week?

Oh right, Rickey FLower said he played a round with Tiger and Tiger out drove him by A LOT.

In all fairness, I didn't even know there was a tennis tournament in London this week - and neither did 99% of the population.

In all fairness, I didn't even know there was a tennis tournament in London this week - and neither did 99.9% of the population.

Fixed

Kinda like golf right now.

Fixed

Kinda like golf right now.

They would if Tiger was playing in it.........Rog played and nobody knew.

They would if Tiger was playing in it.........Rog played and nobody knew.

he's a sideshow freak at this point. of course people will tune in to watch him tap out.

he's a sideshow freak at this point. of course people will tune in to watch him tap out.

Tru dat.

Gtfo. Tennis has more fans worldwide than golf by a long shot.

so does soccer, but lets be real. We are talking about people around here.

no one really cares about a tennis tournament in November

so does soccer, but lets be real. We are talking about people around here.

no one really cares about a tennis tournament in November

I wasn't talking about people here, but if that is your audience Tubgirl>>>>Federer

Well well well - this topics started February 24th 2007! And now we are January 2018! Congratulations to Rodger Federer! 20th Grand Slam TItle and another win at the Australian Open! This makes him the first male tennis player to reach 20 Grand Slam wins.

RODGER > TIGER

Not even a close debate anymore IMO

Federer play the whole field yet ?

I don’t see how Tiger’s sexual exploits are relevant in this discussion. The comparison is athletic greatness, not who has the most genital warts.

I dont see how Tigers sexual exploits are relevant in this discussion. The comparison is athletic greatness, not who has the most genital warts.

i think if tiger got to spend his weekends playing the weakest seed and only needing to beat the weakest sead each day of a major tournament, he would probably have 100 majors.

i think if tiger got to spend his weekends playing the weakest seed and only needing to beat the weakest sead each day of a major tournament, he would probably have 100 majors.

Ummm, the better players advance, such that those left eventually play each other for the championship. Aside from exhaustion, do you think the outcome would be different if Federer had to play every player, every tournament?

And Tiger really isnt playing his opponents as much as the course.

Ummm, the better players advance, such that those left eventually play each other for the championship. Aside from exhaustion, do you think the outcome would be different if Federer had to play every player, every tournament?

And Tiger really isnt playing his opponents as much as the course.

Exactly. He is left helpless other than throwing up a LOW number when anyone of the 150 guys decides to have a career weekend.

I play golf so I am bias. But to me it is much harder to dominate golf at that level. For a couple year stretch Tigers winning % in golf was nuts. There are just so many good and bad bounces for people. So many variables in golf. That to tame that aspect a bit and win anyways all the time.

But of course Federer has had the longer/better career. Tiger didn't get to Jack's mark like most people thought he would. That really isn't up for debate anymore, minus Tiger reviving himself and going on a mini run.

Exactly. He is left helpless other than throwing up a LOW number when anyone of the 150 guys decides to have a career weekend.

I play golf so I am bias. But to me it is much harder to dominate golf at that level. For a couple year stretch Tigers winning % in golf was nuts. There are just so many good and bad bounces for people. So many variables in golf. That to tame that aspect a bit and win anyways all the time.

But of course Federer has had the longer/better career. Tiger didn't get to Jack's mark like most people thought he would. That really isn't up for debate anymore, minus Tiger reviving himself and going on a mini run.

Honestly, I think this argument is absurd. The bolded is the real reason this thread has 33 pages.

Not always true. In tennis majors, they seed the top 32, then the rest are a random draw. It's possible that in the first round #1 could play #33(happened in 2013 when #33 Mayer played #1 Djokovic in the first round).

Obviously I am a golf guy so I want to state up front some reasons why this is not a completely biased post.

1. I do NOT like Tiger Woods. Never have. never cheered for him to win, in fact I was usually rooting for him to lose.

2. I am perfectly fine with the idea that Federer > Woods.

3. I used to watch tennis as a kid and cheered for Agassi.

4. I had 2 friends who played tennis at a high level in HS and I know the dedication it took them. I would never call tennis easier than golf.

I have a hard time putting Roger Federer's pro tennis accomplishments above Tiger Woods pro golf accomplishments because of the nature of each sport. The most amazing thing, to me, about Federer is that he is now doing it at his age. Other than that, I don't see much of a comparison. Men's pro tennis seems so watered down and has been for many years now. Who have his biggest challengers been? How big are the fields? How many times is he playing someone ranked in the top, lets say, 10 in the world? Nadal comes to mind as his biggest rival. So you basically had years where 4 majors per year were being won by 2 guys with the occasional blips on the radar from Djokovic, Any Murray? i remember some guy named Carlos Moya.... and i'm sure he played Agassi and Sampras at the end of their days.

The same can be said for Tigers top opponents during his prime. some blips on the radar from Ernie Els, David Duval, Vijay Singh... even Mickelson. The thing is, fields are bigger, the talent pool isn't as watered down and Tiger didn't get the advantage of literally playing his opponent 1v1. Guys who were paired with him on final days, normally couldn't hang... but that doesn't take into account the 70+ other golfers out on the course who are not facing Tiger eye to eye and could shoot 64 from the middle of the pack and win because they posted the best score.

There are a lot more factors in golf that Tiger can't control. Federer just plays his singular opponent and moves on.

Obviously I am a golf guy so I want to state up front some reasons why this is not a completely biased post.

1. I do NOT like Tiger Woods. Never have. never cheered for him to win, in fact I was usually rooting for him to lose.

2. I am perfectly fine with the idea that Federer > Woods.

3. I used to watch tennis as a kid and cheered for Agassi.

4. I had 2 friends who played tennis at a high level in HS and I know the dedication it took them. I would never call tennis easier than golf.

I have a hard time putting Roger Federer's pro tennis accomplishments above Tiger Woods pro golf accomplishments because of the nature of each sport. The most amazing thing, to me, about Federer is that he is now doing it at his age. Other than that, I don't see much of a comparison. Men's pro tennis seems so watered down and has been for many years now. Who have his biggest challengers been? How big are the fields? How many times is he playing someone ranked in the top, lets say, 10 in the world? Nadal comes to mind as his biggest rival. So you basically had years where 4 majors per year were being won by 2 guys with the occasional blips on the radar from Djokovic, Any Murray? i remember some guy named Carlos Moya.... and i'm sure he played Agassi and Sampras at the end of their days.

The same can be said for Tigers top opponents during his prime. some blips on the radar from Ernie Els, David Duval, Vijay Singh... even Mickelson. The thing is, fields are bigger, the talent pool isn't as watered down and Tiger didn't get the advantage of literally playing his opponent 1v1. Guys who were paired with him on final days, normally couldn't hang... but that doesn't take into account the 70+ other golfers out on the course who are not facing Tiger eye to eye and could shoot 64 from the middle of the pack and win because they posted the best score.

There are a lot more factors in golf that Tiger can't control. Federer just plays his singular opponent and moves on.

Using this logic, how can any tennis player be better than any golfer?

Nadal and Djokovic are top 10 all-time tennis greats; Nadal may be #2. Federer also played Agassi and Sampras, albeit at the end of their careers. Who are the the all-time greats Tiger faced?

Also if the fields are bigger in golf, how is tennis more watered down? Are pro golfers on average "better" than pro tennis player?

Federer has the longer career in a sport which favors youth more heavily. He has the most Grand Slam victories. He is universally considered the best in his sport. The only people suggesting Tiger is better are golfers.

Nadal and Djokovic are top 10 all-time tennis greats; Nadal may be #2. Federer also played Agassi and Sampras, albeit at the end of their careers. Who are the the all-time greats Tiger faced?

Also if the fields are bigger in golf, how is tennis more watered down? Are pro golfers on average "better" than pro tennis player?

Federer has the longer career in a sport which favors youth more heavily. He has the most Grand Slam victories. He is universally considered the best in his sport. The only people suggesting Tiger is better are golfers.

My biggest early criticism of Fed was that he won a lot of Majors early in his career during a 'lull' in tennis. Agassi was way past his prime, and there really wasn't anyone else---Lleyton Hewitt??? Roddick??? His early major wins were against a list of opponents that would make you say "Who's that?"

The 2nd half of his run has been great though and against opponents who have established themselves as nearly equals(Djokovic, Nadal, Murray). It wasn't until the last few years, but I've come around to the fact that he's the GOAT of tennis.

had a well thought out response typed up and closed the window :doh:

basically, any tennis player can be better than a golfer. Federer is better than Rory, Dustin Johnson, Jordan Spieth, Ernie Els, Phil Mickelson (2 guys more of his time). Nadal is better than them as well..... but when comparing 2 of the all time greatest, which is what this thread is about, then no... I don't think an equal tennis player would ever beat out an equal golfer and that was kind of my point. The sports are just not comparable and it's more difficult to rack up major titles in professional golf. Is Federer > Jack Nicklaus?

Just because a field is bigger doesn't make it watered down. When I mentioned Tennis being watered down, I was referring to the sport in general. Meaning throughout Roger's career, how many of his opponents truely had a shot to win any given grand slam event? In Tiger's case, he was going up against fields with a lot more players capable of winning major events. A lot more guys with impressive resumes in the sport. His top rivals? Els, Mickelson, Singh, Rory for a few years and David Duval in the late 90's. I have no doubt that Roger went head to head against bigger names in the world of Tennis.... Tiger simply didn't play in the era of Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Tom Watson etc.

Now that is going to get twisted into a reason that golf is actually more watered down but in reality, the top all time golfers are simply better than the top all time tennis pros. The top 20 all time golfers is likely a more impressive list than the top 20 all time tennis players. Nadal, for example, is viewed as an all time tennis great but was playing the same watered down events and his career didn't last nearly as long as Roger's..... and while Tiger didn't have an Arnold Palmer to go against, he had dozens of guys in the field with major championship wins, every single time.

The thing is, on any given week, in any given tournament and at any given major in golf, a YE Yang type can have a magical 4 days and theres nothing Tiger Woods can do to stop it. in Tennis? an underdog making a run will eventually come face to face with Federer and the winner moves on. Golf just doesn't work that way.

I would never suggest Tiger is currently better. What Federer is doing, at his age (which I already said) is remarkable. But looking at the totality of their carrers and accomplshments, I think Tigers dominance was more impressive.

no one on this board, at any time in it's history, has ever looked dumber than drobeski in this thread

4 rounds this weekend. Tiger hit 17 fairways :lol:

:o

no one on this board, at any time in it's history, has ever looked dumber than drobeski in this thread

Yet he's winning this thread! :shocking:

i crushed this thread, not one of my points refuted. Tiger plays the field ,the course and conditions, tennis boy plays the weakest left in the same conditions with some occasional rain. Oh wow! Fact

I win again

i crushed this thread, not one of my points refuted. Tiger plays the field ,the course and conditions, tennis boy plays the weakest left in the same conditions with some occasional rain. Oh wow! Fact

I win again

This is more or less the nuts and bolts, jerk version of what I'm saying.