Sign in to follow this  
2018 MLB All-Star Ballot...

He didn't make it initially because of the rules...

youll have to enlighten me. what rule kept the 2nd best AL pitcher off the team?

aside from the "every team needing a player" rule, the fact that the first 8? pitchers are chosen by the players isn't really a "rule" as much as it is just bad selecting by the players. A format more than a rule. He belonged over every selected starter besides Severino and they still could have voted in Verlander and Kluber and one of Cole or Sale.

..... and MLB chose Trevor Bauer over Snell..... :wacko:

youll have to enlighten me. what rule kept the 2nd best AL pitcher off the team?

aside from the "every team needing a player" rule, the fact that the first 8? pitchers are chosen by the players isn't really a "rule" as much as it is just bad selecting by the players. A format more than a rule. He belonged over every selected starter besides Severino and they still could have voted in Verlander and Kluber and one of Cole or Sale.

..... and MLB chose Trevor Bauer over Snell..... :wacko:

This is from ESPN:

Remember the rules: The players vote for the first five starting pitchers and first three relievers. I mentioned the loaded group of AL starters. The players went with Luis Severino, Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole, Chris Sale and Corey Kluber. It's hard to argue against anyone in that group. Maybe Snell has an edge over Cole, but Cole started out on fire, and that no doubt helped him in the voting.

The players also fill in one backup at each position, including DH, so MLB is limited to five open spots on the AL team (not including the "Final Vote" choice). The trouble is, at this point, the Rangers, A's, Twins, Tigers and Blue Jays still didn't have a player on the roster. The league office actually caught one break here: Verlander is scheduled to pitch the Sunday before the All-Star Game, so he'd be inactive for the game, thus providing a sixth spot.

Of our five teams still missing a player, the one "must have" guy was A's closer Blake Treinen, who is 5-1 with a 0.81 ERA and 22 saves in 24 chances. They went with Shin-Soo Choo to represent the Rangers, which was a solid choice, given his .294/.402/.509 line, plus it's kind of cool that he's making his first All-Star team after a good career. That left only one position player spot to fill, but that was kept for the Final Vote -- you can't mix position players with pitchers there -- so you had to go with pitchers from the Twins, Tigers and Blue Jays, and the choices were Jose Berrios, Joe Jimenez and J.A. Happ.

That left just one more spot. MLB went with Trevor Bauer over Snell. Maybe the league didn't want to deal with Bauer's tweets if he'd been left off. Both are obviously more deserving than Berrios or Happ (who began Sunday tied for 32nd in the AL in ERA). Anyway, Bauer does lead the majors in FanGraphs WAR (though Snell leads in Baseball-Reference WAR), so it was hard to leave him off, and I'm OK going with the veteran over the breakout guy.

Rules/voting, I guess it is just how one looks at it... But either way, he should be there...

Rules/voting, I guess it is just how one looks at it... But either way, he should be there...

The most glaring miscue is MLB choosing Bauer.

That and the players SP selections. Not that the guys chosen are not worthy but even if you explain it off as popularity-lifetime achievement being taken into consideration thay doesn't explain Cole over Snell and if it's numbers, doesn't really explain Verlander Cole or Sale...

Oh well. Not even ranting as a Rays fan but it's definitely one of the more glaring snubs I've seen in a while

it's definitely one of the more glaring snubs I've seen in a while

I completely agree... He should have been one of the initial 32 players... He might get in due to Sunday starts/injuries, but that is unfortunate for him to be in that way...

The Bauer pick is the one that baffles me the most. There were only 4 other Indians... why would you not add a LHP from the best division in baseball who has been awarded almost 29% of his teams wins?
Sale is justified. Verlander too. I mean Cole and Kluber could have arguments against but I have Snell just, and just above them.

Went to ESPN to see who won the AS game..... they have it buried on page 2, and even then you have to click a link to see the score. :lol:

they played the game?