Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

They aren't a 'waste', overall they may be sub-optimal if you put alot of sidespin on the ball with your woods and irons, may be a net negative even with the short game gains.

At the end of the day if you put a bad swing on the ball, the ball, the club, the marketing hype isn't going to save it. If you are a high handicapper your game is the limiting factor, not the equipment

If you are really bad, then no golf ball will save you. But if you are a 20 handicap buying ProV1s thinking they are dropping strokes from your game, they actually might be adding them. They are performing contrary to everything a high handicapper needs from his ball, elevation and roll.

Do you think that the guy will come that quick? :dunno:

he's just a 17 year old kid so probably

Left my tee ball 6 inches short on a par-3 Wednesday night. That's 3 times in the last 6 months I've hit it within a foot on a par 3. I'll never make an ace :cry:

Left my tee ball 6 inches short on a par-3 Wednesday night. That's 3 times in the last 6 months I've hit it within a foot on a par 3. I'll never make an ace :cry:

you used your cack twice to measure?

They aren't a 'waste', overall they may be sub-optimal if you put alot of sidespin on the ball with your woods and irons, may be a net negative even with the short game gains.

At the end of the day if you put a bad swing on the ball, the ball, the club, the marketing hype isn't going to save it. If you are a high handicapper your game is the limiting factor, not the equipment

agreed on the second part. although I do agree with timmysmith that a legit 20 handicapper doesn't need to be spending the $$ for pro v's or equivalent expensive balls. just play cheap balls and focus on learning the game, both the swing and course management. Once you lower your cap by 5 or so, you can explore what ball feels the best for you and splurge a little.

Any tips for shortening your backswing?

It is ridiculously long. Easily to John Daly's. I have had a long swing forever but each year it seems to get longer.

It isnt as easy as taking it back shorter. If I do I get quick or out of position coming down. Very difficult to make a smooth backswing and stop it short. I want to but find myself going for that extra crank anyway. If i do manage to cut it off short it gets way out of temp and quick.

It is ridiculously long. Easily to John Daly's. I have had a long swing forever but each year it seems to get longer.

It isnt as easy as taking it back shorter. If I do I get quick or out of position coming down. Very difficult to make a smooth backswing and stop it short. I want to but find myself going for that extra crank anyway. If i do manage to cut it off short it gets way out of temp and quick.

why do you want to shorten your backswing? are you having an issue with your game that you are positive is being caused by a longer backswing? there is nothing inherently wrong with having a long, languid backswing. For example, it's the reason Mickelson still contends (not this week hahaha) at his age and likely will for another 5 years.

why do you want to shorten your backswing? are you having an issue with your game that you are positive is being caused by a longer backswing? there is nothing inherently wrong with having a long, languid backswing. For example, it's the reason Mickelson still contends (not this week hahaha) at his age and likely will for another 5 years.

It is absurdly long. Consistancy suffers. Im not John Daly. Nor Phil Mickleson. Some of you guys woulfnt even be able to make contact with the ball with my backswing.

I know a start is getting my swing wider. But Im a feel guy and hardly put in much practice but play a lot.

My backswing is definatly my problem.

It is absurdly long. Consistancy suffers. Im not John Daly. Nor Phil Mickleson. Some of you guys woulfnt even be able to make contact with the ball with my backswing.

I know a start is getting my swing wider. But Im a feel guy and hardly put in much practice but play a lot.

My backswing is definatly my problem.

I think he is saying that you might want to focus on why you are not making good contact at impact. Could be set up, grip or other factors. Shortening a backswing may be a crutch that doesn't get you to be any better.

What is the problem you are trying to solve?

Guys ive hit my left knee before. Think of the most ridiculous backswing then tell me it isnt my backswing. I dont really know how else to explain it to you. Im looking for consistancy. Im looking to hit the middle of the clubface more consistantly. I am a stranger to no miss. This isnt a stupid "how do i fix my slice" question.

My backswing throws me off balance far to often. My timing of my hands shoulders hips is sometimes so far off because.

frankly it is just hard to time that stuff up with a swing like mine.

Im a 12 right now. I have been an 8. I was an 11 when I was 13 years old.

No one would look at my backswing and say it isnt my issue.

Guys ive hit my left knee before. Think of the most ridiculous backswing then tell me it isnt my backswing. I dont really know how else to explain it to you. Im looking for consistancy. Im looking to hit the middle of the clubface more consistantly. I am a stranger to no miss. This isnt a stupid "how do i fix my slice" question.

My backswing throws me off balance far to often. My timing of my hands shoulders hips is sometimes so far off because.

Keep your trail elbow straight for as long as possible and dont let it bend less than 90*. Google "extensor action".

I was not telling you it wasn't your backswing. Rather, I was asking you what the issue is with your game that is being caused by your backswing. So it sounds like your back swing is so long and "loose" that you have no control over your shots? no accuracy? .... thats all I was asking.

my reason for asking was that shortening a backswing just to shorten it, assuming your playing good golf, doesn't make much sense.

If you're hitting your left knee with your backswing, you can probably barely hit a golf ball. Now that I know you have no control, of course shortening the backswing is a good idea. Hit youtube for some good videos but just off the top of my head, I would hit the range, take out a 7 iron and focus on taking half back swings and firing through the ball. you can gradually take a longer backswing but you should never lose sight of your left elbow on your backswing. To get an idea, take a slow backswing with your head completely still, have your eyes follow your left elbow as you swing back and the point where you can just barely see that left elbow without moving your head is perfect. That's about as long as my backswing ever gets and if you give it enough repetition, then pretty soon you wont even be thinking about or looking for your elbow. Then you can take the swing out onto the course. I'm also thinking that you may not "cocck your wrists" soon enough. You don't want to hinge your wrists too soon but the sooner you do, the less likely youll be to have a backswing going past parallel.

You hit your left knee on a swing? I am not a swing coach, but maybe the swing plane is your issue. Either way, I can't see how your backswing is the problem. Again look at club face at contact and follow through for possible root causes.

I was not telling you it wasn't your backswing. Rather, I was asking you what the issue is with your game that is being caused by your backswing. So it sounds like your back swing is so long and "loose" that you have no control over your shots? no accuracy? .... thats all I was asking.

my reason for asking was that shortening a backswing just to shorten it, assuming your playing good golf, doesn't make much sense.

If you're hitting your left knee with your backswing, you can probably barely hit a golf ball. Now that I know you have no control, of course shortening the backswing is a good idea. Hit youtube for some good videos but just off the top of my head, I would hit the range, take out a 7 iron and focus on taking half back swings and firing through the ball. you can gradually take a longer backswing but you should never lose sight of your left elbow on your backswing. To get an idea, take a slow backswing with your head completely still, have your eyes follow your left elbow as you swing back and the point where you can just barely see that left elbow without moving your head is perfect. That's about as long as my backswing ever gets and if you give it enough repetition, then pretty soon you wont even be thinking about or looking for your elbow. Then you can take the swing out onto the course. I'm also thinking that you may not "cocck your wrists" soon enough. You don't want to hinge your wrists too soon but the sooner you do, the less likely youll be to have a backswing going past parallel.

This biggest problem with my misses are having no where to go but over the top. Once I reach the end of my backswing I am in a position that you almost have to come over the top. And I traditionally have hit high fades or when I do catch it in thr middle of the face a hard pull long.

The thing is when I am swinging it well I have a draw on my driver. I can draw longer clubs and cannot draw say an 8 iton to save my life.

I can feel a flatter inside out swing better with my driver than I can with a shorter club.

You hit your left knee on a swing? I am not a swing coach, but maybe the swing plane is your issue. Either way, I can't see how your backswing is the problem. Again look at club face at contact and follow through for possible root causes.

I have before. On average my bacswing looks like john daly's but a little worse. When I get out of tempo which is easy to do with my swing I find the backswi g even longer or a slight hesiation at the top.

My golfing friends all say they couldnt even hit the ball if they tried my swing and I play with some good golfers.

I feel I have excellent hand eye coordination but have neglected my fundamentals for a long long time to the point where I am just making the game harder than it has to be.

Ill try this stuff WW thanks. I need to practice more and golf less if I am ever going to change old habits.

It is going to take re-learning the basic positions starting the backswing. I in no way have my left arm straight through the backswing. But it isnt a total noodle motion. I am pretty flexible and I think Imove my lower body too much in order to really stack over the the left side and get even further back.

I have thought about what I want for lunch after the round during my backswing.

Just finished using ARCCOS 360 Caddie system for 2 rounds. A bit spotty to begin with and it doesn't appear to be picking up my putts (need to run diagnostics on pairing). Overall it's a pretty good system and it gives pretty accurate details on course (wind direction, speed, distance to flag (our course has the GPS flags).

This biggest problem with my misses are having no where to go but over the top. Once I reach the end of my backswing I am in a position that you almost have to come over the top. And I traditionally have hit high fades or when I do catch it in thr middle of the face a hard pull long.

then definitely check out to video i posted. sounds perfect for your situation :thumbsup:

When my game starts getting sloppy, it is as a result of this. Tiger had a drill and a memory trigger of a 'triangle' between his shoulders, arms and hands where he would tighten his pecs briefly to remind himself to keep his shoulder/arm/hands in a triangle connected, and not lose that through the takeaway to the top.

It is very hard to overswing if you keep that triangle together. The other thing that helps me is visualize pointing the club shaft roughly parallel to the ground pointing roughly at the target on my backswing.

One last thing. If you keep your lead arm STRAIGHT (don't let your elbow break down), you'll also limit your backswing.

Out the door to golf right now. L8r.

39/40 in Friday afternoon. Z Star XV really impressed me. Much harder ball than Pro V but it wasnt harsh. Was able to stop the ball around the greens and it was without a doubt longer off the tee. Had some wind and these performed above expectations.

39/40 in Friday afternoon. Z Star XV really impressed me. Much harder ball than Pro V but it wasnt harsh. Was able to stop the ball around the greens and it was without a doubt longer off the tee. Had some wind and these performed above expectations.

DN, try the TM Project "a" and let us know what you think.

I've got some project a just sitting around

Anyhow. Shanks on my pitch shots have crept up again. Something I can easily "fix" but initially it needs to be a swing thought and I hate having to pitch or hit longer chips with a specific thought in my head rather than simply where I want to land the ball. It's passable but much less accurate. Difference of say inside 5 feet versus 15 feet.

I know it sounds ridiculous and farfetched, but if it's possible to shoot 71 and still putt like shiit - I did it... Was my Sat. morning round, missed 3 birdie putts inside 6 feet - 2 of them I didn't even touch the hole. I was so freaking pissed, I almost popped a vessel... I did hole out for eagle from 117 on a par 4, so that helped, but still.......... Bought a new putter y-day, Odyssey O-Works #7s, Black... Love the look and heaviness of the head, also love that I can scoop up my misses w/out bending over (had a 2-ball)..... but what I really love is the little abbreviated goose neck hosel... I have a Member/Member this weekend - may have jumped the gun a little early on this.

http://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/odyssey-o-works-7s-black-putter-w/-superstroke-grip/1000000017799.jsp?crtp=paidsearch&gclid=CjwKCAjwiurXBRAnEiwAk2GFZvWCmk20Kw-5FSeJ-tUApeKWyaX-dyYEJ3X-J1uHXhVaC-ezM4I_BxoCXaQQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

I know it sounds ridiculous and farfetched, but if it's possible to shoot 71 and still putt like shiit - I did it... Was my Sat. morning round, missed 3 birdie putts inside 6 feet - 2 of them I didn't even touch the hole. I was so freaking pissed, I almost popped a vessel... I did hole out for eagle from 117 on a par 4, so that helped, but still.......... Bought a new putter y-day, Odyssey O-Works #7s, Black... Love the look and heaviness of the head, also love that I can scoop up my misses w/out bending over (had a 2-ball)..... but what I really love is the little abbreviated goose neck hosel... I have a Member/Member this weekend - may have jumped the gun a little early on this.

http://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/odyssey-o-works-7s-black-putter-w/-superstroke-grip/1000000017799.jsp?crtp=paidsearch&gclid=CjwKCAjwiurXBRAnEiwAk2GFZvWCmk20Kw-5FSeJ-tUApeKWyaX-dyYEJ3X-J1uHXhVaC-ezM4I_BxoCXaQQAvD_BwE

Did you snap the old putter on 18? O Works are nice. I really liked the tank anser style putter. I'm not a huge insert fan, and that insert was a tad bit soft, which was interesting with the heavy head. I went in another direction ultimately, but it was in the final considering with the cameron and a miura

I just grabbed a 3H and 4H JPX 900's off ebay... $75 for a mint condition used 3H, $100 for a new 4H... Pretty good deals considering these are $250 msrp and are last years model.... Both of them you can adjust +/- 2 degrees, so tons of gapping flexibility.

Pretty popular headstyle

I've got some project a just sitting around

Anyhow. Shanks on my pitch shots have crept up again. Something I can easily "fix" but initially it needs to be a swing thought and I hate having to pitch or hit longer chips with a specific thought in my head rather than simply where I want to land the ball. It's passable but much less accurate. Difference of say inside 5 feet versus 15 feet.

I get that same thing WW on my 40-50 yard pitch shots. What I do to resolve it is grab my 60 degree and setup like a chip shot (open with feet and hips with weight forward). Play the ball where you do with a chip but take the club back further depending on how far you need to hit it. Back to 4 oclock and through to 8 oclock for a 40 yard shot. 3 through to 9 for a 50 yarder.........etc. It runs out a little but no more shanks.

Bought a new putter y-day, Odyssey O-Works #7s, Black... Love the look and heaviness of the head, also love that I can scoop up my misses w/out bending over (had a 2-ball)..... but what I really love is the little abbreviated goose neck hosel... I have a Member/Member this weekend - may have jumped the gun a little early on this.

I have the red version of that. Has made a world of difference in my putting. The red head and white alignment lines make it ridiculously easy to line up putts.

I get that same thing WW on my 40-50 yard pitch shots. What I do to resolve it is grab my 60 degree and setup like a chip shot (open with feet and hips with weight forward). Play the ball where you do with a chip but take the club back further depending on how far you need to hit it. Back to 4 oclock and through to 8 oclock for a 40 yard shot. 3 through to 9 for a 50 yarder.........etc. It runs out a little but no more shanks.

I have the red version of that. Has made a world of difference in my putting. The red head and white alignment lines make it ridiculously easy to line up putts.

I have a few ways to fix it. The problem stems from me setting up normally but on the follow through I extend my arms even just an inch and now I'm clipping the hosel.

So the cheat way to to set up with the ball on the toe.

But the swing thought is probably exactly what you're outlining. I basically just exaggerate rolling my wrists over through the swing and yes you'll get more run out.

Another fix is making a little furyk loop. Exaggerate the backswing being outside and drop the club back in on the follow through.

I'm playing in a 2 man tourney this Sunday, it's called El Diablo 6x6x6

18 holes

6 holes Four Ball, 6 holes Scotch, 6 holes Scramble

Is that Spanish for Fightin Chicken?

Not sure why is is called El Diablo, I have a feeling it will turn me into satan

Pretty popular headstyle

This head style has been around a little bit, but I've not seen this abbreviated goose neck hosel before.. I like it now, give me a week. :D

Did you snap the old putter on 18?

Lol, I wanted to do it back on 8...But no, I needed that putter for later.

Traded my 2-ball into Golf Galaxy for $60, they also had a $25 off promo going, plus the putter was $199 down from $219 - walked out for $132 out of pocket.

I'm playing in a 2 man tourney this Sunday, it's called El Diablo 6x6x6

18 holes

6 holes Four Ball, 6 holes Scotch, 6 holes Scramble

We had our 6x6x6 a few weeks back. That alternate shot shiit is a biitch.