Sign in to follow this  
RamFan11

Brown vs Dixon in Buffalo

What the consensus on who will be carrying the bigger role at RB. I am reading a lot of different stories with some saying Dixon others Brown..

- very dicey prop to heavily invest in, considering that we have no idea of the shakeout ... then the bye coming next week.

that being said ...

in my main money league, Brown went for $50 faab ($200) last night, while Dixon was left unclaimed :dunno:

ETA: plenty of owners had the cash available to snag Brown at a higher price, but didn't bother - $50 took it.

doesn't mean sh!t in the grand scheme of things, just giving an early heads up barometer of how this played out in one league ... Dixon being overlooked, for sure.

Dixon now, Brown later...

Spiller is done, not just for this year, but most likely for good in Buffalo. Fjax is also probably done after this year.

Brown is the future at RB, you will see him play more even when Fjax come back.

I paid $64 to get Brown. A couple of other bids failed ($55 & $60). Dixon was left unclaimed. I'm considering grabbing Dixon as well, but would have to probably drop Jeremy Hill to do it. Hill is the far better talent, but he's not the man in Cinncy unless Gio goes down. So it's all about what can you do for me now.

What say you, would you drop Hill in order to have both Brown & Dixon? That way, which ever way it goes, I'm in on whoever gets the workload.

My opinion is a definite time share for now, with Dixon likely getting the goal line looks. It's also hard to fathom Brown stepping right in after not getting a sniff of action all year. My gosh not one single carry. Also it's probable that Jackson and Spiller got most of the practice reps as well.

I do like Brown's skillset, but personally went with Denard Robinson on the wire last night. Deciding factor was reading comments from Eagle fans.

I paid $64 to get Brown. A couple of other bids failed ($55 & $60). Dixon was left unclaimed. I'm considering grabbing Dixon as well, but would have to probably drop Jeremy Hill to do it. Hill is the far better talent, but he's not the man in Cinncy unless Gio goes down. So it's all about what can you do for me now.

What say you, would you drop Hill in order to have both Brown & Dixon? That way, which ever way it goes, I'm in on whoever gets the workload.

Gio took so many hard hits during the last game. As a Gio owner, I'm never dropping Hill.

Gio took so many hard hits during the last game. As a Gio owner, I'm never dropping Hill.

^ this.

plus Gio had to leave for a bit the previous week with a shoulder injury ... and, man was that a vicious hit he took vs the Colts - Dalton hung him right the fock out-

back to Brown/Dixon ... have a feeling that if their bye wasn't next week that Brown would've fetched a higher faab price, and Dixon certainly would've been bid on/claimed as well.

Practice wise, does anyone know who's getting 1st team reps this week?

Practice wise, does anyone know who's getting 1st team reps this week?

I'll keep an ear out on local sports talk radio as I'm interested because somehow i was able to get both.

Just dropped Hill for Brown off waivers. Brown's usage is a huge question and I think I may have backed the wrong guy cause Dixon shows potential to be beastly rest of season...

in my 10 team, only Dixon was claimed which surprised me. My bet was on Brown. This after every owner was on board in 12' when he exploded for those 2 games for Philly)

However, reading Marrone's comments (you'd think he'd be ecstatic to unleash his star, but the excitement wasn't there. Albeit, it could have just been just a poker facel.

It stands to reason Dixon will at least draw the start and be given a lot of opportunity. He's been a fantastic special teamer, he's a big durable back, and filled in well for SF when called upon.

As R8RMick said, it'd be surprising Brown gets an initial heavy workload after never seeing any action this year. Let alone never dressing for 1 game.

However, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Brown has a few monster games soon. He's a very good back (minus the fumbles and a tendency to run outside)

Last nite's RB waivers went: 1. Mason, 2. Robinson, 3. Dixon.

If Dixon is still playing special teams this week, then that will tell you all you need to know.

You don't let your "starting" RB play special teams.

What the consensus on who will be carrying the bigger role at RB. I am reading a lot of different stories with some saying Dixon others Brown..

RBBC .

If Dixon is still playing special teams this week, then that will tell you all you need to know.

You don't let your "starting" RB play special teams.

Great point.

I anticipate a 50/50 split this week then Brown takes a majority after the bye week.

Yes I claimed Brown

RBBC

That's been their approach for years with two higher quality guys like Spiller and Jackson.

Why would you think their approach would change for career backups?

They've made their offense dependent on Orton throwing 40 times a week. Brown can't block or catch. Dixon is a journeyman. They signed another back yesterday.

According to Joe Buscaglia on Twitter who is a beat reporter for the Bills says Dixon will be the guy to own over Brown.

www.wgrz.com/story/sports/nfl/bills/2014/10/21/take-2-buffalo-bills-running-back-season-outlook/17683353

Got dixon with a late waiver pick lol! Prob because im one of the handful of guys in the league smart enough to find free agents on MFL awful and convoluted site.

• Like 1

I picked up BB in one league, Dixon in another.

Brown is a really good back and while I think he will get only a few opportunities this week you have to watch and see if he breaks a big play. The thing with these uber talented backs is that they can leave the HC with no choice.

I will add that Whaley and Marrone seem to be at odds. I think Whaley thinks highly of Brown and he is not Marrone's guy, but Marrone's hand might be forced here if Brown makes big plays. So I think Dixon can produce now but Brown is a hold for a couple or more weeks down the road.

fwiw, I went back to see how they were used in the preseason.

Brown seemed to get touches ahead of Dixon, though Dixon produced more in the 5th game (because HOF) in part because Brown left with an injury. But he returned later, so that's a good sign about his toughness.

Dixon poached a goal line TD in one scenario where Brown had run the series to that point.

Also, it seems to me that people who are naysaying Brown based on fumbles... well that appears to be based on the three fumbles he had in his high profile fill-in for Shady. The same two games where he put up monster numbers. Otherwise he hasn't displayed fumbleitis imo.

The knock on him bouncing outside... he's got the 3cone agility speed that demonstrates he should be effective at that at the nfl level. So, if the defense tries to scheme him to do this as they typically do all rb's, he's got the rare speed at his size to make them pay. Plus it should mean less hits for his body if he's going to the sideline.

UPDATE: Just saw Dixon ran with the ones today at practice. OK, but what does that mean? It's ok if he starts... that's what spiller's role was. FJax was the guy in on passing downs and consequently the better fantasy play. So if Brown plays second fiddle but that translates to passing down back, he'll receive plenty of usage.

Conclusion is I'm higher on Brown and think he'll be the better play, but fock it I hope they don't let Dixon poach every goal to go carry.

If you loose reps to LaMichael James as a 3rd RB on a team..not buying. Bryce has the higher ceiling period.

UPDATE: Just saw Dixon ran with the ones today at practice. OK, but what does that mean? It's ok if he starts... that's what spiller's role was. FJax was the guy in on passing downs and consequently the better fantasy play. So if Brown plays second fiddle but that translates to passing down back, he'll receive plenty of usage.

My concern regarding this is that Jackson is a good pass protector, route runner and receiver. Brown not so much.

I don't see evidence for this opinion, JT. Bryce does ok in the passing game. He's got the size to do pass pro. Sometime it takes time to develop the technique, but he's had the opportunity to develop that at the NFL level now. I'd be more worried about their oline overall than rb blitz pickup myself. Willing to have my eyes opened if you can point to something specific as evidence regarding your concerns.

• Like 1

I don't see evidence for this opinion, JT. Bryce does ok in the passing game. He's got the size to do pass pro. Sometime it takes time to develop the technique, but he's had the opportunity to develop that at the NFL level now. I'd be more worried about their oline overall than rb blitz pickup myself. Willing to have my eyes opened if you can point to something specific as evidence regarding your concerns.

I learned of him during his hs days in Wichita and as such followed him through his time at Tenn and KState . Philly fan, so saw each snap with the Eagles and it was a concern at the time, as was his inability to hold onto the ball (4 fumbles in about 200 touches).

There's always the possibility that a guy has improved. The ball security issues kept him off the field in college and he hasn't played much since that 2012 season, so he doesn't have a lot of experience on which to evaluate how much.

I'll stick with my original contention, which is that it'll be a RBBC. That's how that offense has operated in the past and I don't see why that would change with backups in the rotation. If Brown is successful in filling the Jackson role, I'll be surprised.

• Like 1

Thanks for the perspective! I'm going off info gleaned from the net rather than a long watch history. I read his college history as a case of being screwed by Kiffin ditching Tenn, scholarship tomfoolery to make him have to pay his own way at KState.

Thanks for the perspective! I'm going off info gleaned from the net rather than a long watch history. I read his college history as a case of being screwed by Kiffin ditching Tenn, scholarship tomfoolery to make him have to pay his own way at KState.

A component of that I'm sure, but especially at K State they were thrilled to have him but couldn't find a way to keep him on the field. That's where the fumbling rap really settled in.

To his credit, in his limited snaps with Philly last year, I thought he displayed decent hands. But protect, getting into routes and execution were still lacking.

Look at Dixon's stats from game 1. 5 carries for 60 yards (one was a 47 yarder). Is it possible the Bills might have wanted to get him involved right out of the gate? Maybe. Maybe not.

Anyone starting Dixon in ppr, and if so over who? Jets D Is good, but I feel obligated to start him because I burned a waiver on him haha

Dixon the lions share today. Brown wasn't able to earn a stay in Philly or climb past 4th string in Buffalo. He has talent but my expectations are tempered.

Ditto re Antone Smith

Disregard this week. The Jets run D isn't a joke - and Orton's play is likely to open up some lanes for one of them.

Was a rough game but I think Bryce is the guy to own.

Boobie doesn't look like a starter to me, he is just an average back. Bryce has played lights out before and is very young and likely the future starter for them.

The Jets D was stacked against the run all game and let the passing game go off for big plays.