Sign in to follow this  
Kelvarr

Roughing the passer

Thats one thing soccer has on football. 2 45 minute commercial free halves. Couple commercials at half. Too bad the actual game is almost as boring as baseball.

Like you said, "the one thing".

Might want to check your link for that. It say about 1/3 of the game, about an hour, is commercials.

Which is about normal for TV today. 18-20 minutes of commercials for an hour long show. It's just more jarring in game because there's an assload of 30-60 second breaks rather than five 3-4 minute breaks.

My link didn't say that, that was my ad-hoc math. It's 11 minutes of ball-in-play time. The rest of the time is going to be a combo platter of commercials and announcers talking about what just happened or is going to happen. In whichever combo, that's 2:49 - 3:19 of non-gameplay.

But if commercials are typically 30 sec or 60 sec spots, and there are 100 of them on average per game (according to that data), then we're looking at 50 minutes to 100 minutes of commercials just based on that data. Any way you slice it, you're watching a he!! of a lot more commercials than you are actual action in the game. Sam Elliott and Dennis Leary spend way more time on your TV comparing pickup truck d!ck sizes than football players spend touching the football.

I get it, don't throw your 300 lb ass on the most valuable guy on the field. The question is, how do you tackle him? Are these guys supposed to pull up and just push them at the end? Is that going to work for elusive guys, or monstrous guys like Big Ben? We all saw Ben flop like a soccer player on that hit to the head. Is that where the game is headed? It's crap.

So, there was a DE for the Dolphins that tore his ACL trying to flail off and not land on the QB. There are rules for safety, then there is dumb. This is dumb. Beef up the padding on the QB. Let guys hit him. It's football!!!!

If a guy is getting crunched by a 300 lb man and his collar bone broke, what did the padding do to protect against that??? NOTHING.

its funny I broke my wrist, when they took running over catchers out of college baseball, I was thinking the whole way I am going to run this guy over then at the last second I remembered and tried to pull up, glanced off the guy and shattered my wrist. Had I hit him clean he might have got the wind knocked out of him and I would have got some scrapes and bruises maybe but nothing major

If they want the defensive players to stop hitting the quarterback, then the quarterback needs to not be allowed to try and make plays. Seriously?! How is a defensive player supposed to defy physics and gravity? Then the quarterbacks take advantage of the fact that they know they can't be hit without a penalty, so they will scramble for extra yardage, or throw up a prayer (knowing they have the safety of the RtP penalty...similar to when they know they have a guy offsides).

If this is what the league wants, just put flags on the QB and be done with it.

The NFL gets in their own way.

The NFL gets in their own way.

I agree that this new interpretation of the rule is crazy.

That said--you couldn't pay me to be a rules-maker for the NFL. Well, no, you could. No one knows these people, and they probably make a ton of money. But my point is that it's a no-win job. Guy falls on a QB, QB gets hurt, tons of people b!tch at the NFL. "I can't believe they let these guys get hurt this way." So they put in a rule to prevent guys from getting hurt, and tons of people b!tch at the NFL. "What do they want, two-hand touch?"

Make a certain action a catch, people with b!tch. Make it not a catch, people will b!tch. Every single rule that people complain about was the result of either 1) a bunch of us complaining about the way things used to be or 2) a bunch of people getting hurt the old way, which caused complaints.

Just look around every time there's a mini-rash of injuries caused by hits. We all say "Man, another crappy year with everyone under the sun getting knocked out of games--we're down to 3rd string guys every week!" But how can they reduce injuries and keep our favorite players playing? How can you keep people from complaining about a low hit taking out their team's QB, and others complaining about a high hit to the head taking out their QB, and others complaining about someone driving someone into the ground, and others complaining about their QB being whipped around unnecessarily on the sack, and people complaining about the defense not being allowed to make plays?

This current rule is garbage. But it's not like there's a magic bullet that will 'fix' the rules.

Several brilliant examples on MNF

That was brutal. Especially the ridiculous call on Gerald McCoy. He barely touched Ben, having kind of stumbled into him. He clearly pulled off. Barely touched him. 15 yards. Ridiculous!

Signed, a Steeler fan

That was brutal. Especially the ridiculous call on Gerald McCoy. He barely touched Ben, having kind of stumbled into him. He clearly pulled off. Barely touched him. 15 yards. Ridiculous!

Signed, a Steeler fan

Yeah, McCoy even said he was sorry as it was happening and again afterward. The calls on the Steelers side, Tuitt in particular were more deserved (according to the new rule) but it's all BS. They might as well put flags on the QB while the rest of the guys get beaten into dementia.

Competition Committee supposedly is now uneasy and uncomfortable about these calls. I hope so, they're idiots.

I really thought about the flag thing, and that is super sad. But it would honestly make the most sense. Some of these bad calls are huge, and game changers.

How long until we see QBs start to pull defenders on top of them to draw flags?

Well, you saw last night Roethlisberger flopping worse than a soccer player...

My favorite is the video of a guy in a Mathews Jersey and a wig and another guy in a Brady Jersey (I think). They start out with the normal sack, and the ref throws a flag. Goes on a bit. Then Mathews cuts in line in front of the Brady guy, ref comes out and throws a flag. Mathews guy is sitting in a car, behind another car at a stop light, honks the horn. Brady guy gets out of the drivers side with his arms up, ref gets out of the passenger seat and throws a flag! Pretty dang funny!