Sign in to follow this  
RicemanX

Popping the question

When did you decide that it was the right time?

How did you do it?

Do you regret doing it too soon or too late?

Do you regret it in general?

Anything a first-timer wouldn't know but should know about this whole process?

By question, I mean marriage.

But you can talk about asking for anal too.

Then that would be pooping the question

Confucius say, why buy cow when milk free. ^_^

I dated one girl for 5 years and never once thought seriously about marrying her. I dated my wife for only a year and couldn't wait to marry her. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the sappy saying "you just know" was true for me. If you don't "just know", meaning if its a not a complete no-brainer that you want to marry somebody, then don't do it. Don't settle because you're comfortable or being pressured.

You'll know when you know. :thumbsup:

Regarding popping the question, just pay attention to your lady. She'll drop subtle hints (she's a woman isn't she?). During a movie where there is a big public propasal she may say "Awe that's sweet to do it infront of your family" or "I think something like that should be private between the couple". Just file that stuff away in the memory bank. Every person is different.

Regarding popping the question, just pay attention to your lady. She'll drop subtle hints (she's a woman isn't she?).

Viable question. He lives in San Fran after all.

How did you do it?

I also believe "you just know." I'd dated two different women for 5 and 3 years before my wife. Then I started dating her in February and proposed in September - I couldn't wait to get engaged to her. We'd talked about it a few times and I knew she wanted to get married. We weren't planning and getting engaged when we did, but we were in a jewelry store and she pointed out a ring she'd like for her engagement ring. I said "Well how about right now?" and bought it on the spot. We were on vacation and I made reservations for a nice restaurant last night of our trip. I proposed once we got there and had champagne waiting. Some women would like to be surprised but we mostly wanted to celebrate. I don't regret it at all.

Far as anal, I didn't ask at all. I just waited til we were drunk one night and did it. :cheers:

I had been dating my wife for a little over a year when she let it be known that she was looking for something permanent, and that I should decide by the end of the year what I wanted. I decided that I wanted her, and asked her in August. I'd have done it sooner, but her brother was getting married that July and I didn't want to steal any of his thunder. I can't say that I had any specific epiphany moment, but she knew me well enough that left to my own devices, I'd probably just keep chugging along in the relationship and be fine. She handled it well; it wasn't any big pressure "shiot or get off the pot" kinda attitude.

If she was in a horible accident and became a quadrapalegic would you be happy staying with her? If you answer yes, she is the 1.

I was young, but I knew. We dated for a long time, but at no point (after the initial time period) did I doubt I would marry her, it was just a matter of when.

If she was in a horible accident and became a quadrapalegic would you be happy staying with her? If you answer yes, she is the 1.

I'd teabag her several times a day if this was the case. :banana:

Her jaws will still work in my example. :cry:

Perfect. "The Geek Club...where real is kept"

How did you do it?

I you have to ask you are not ready.

I'd look at it this way... if you can imagine your life without her, and it doesn't scare you or make you uncomfortable to think about it, move on.

Marriage is a b!tch man. Imagine the little things about her that you think are cutely weird. Five years in, you will want to strangle her with dental floss for those things.

I'm not saying don't do it, but it is definately a whole other way of life.

ETA: Don't buy a ring from a jewelry store. Go to a local diamond outlet or buy it online. Have it set yourself.

And if she needs it to be from Tiffany or something... dump that ho. :thumbsdown:

How did you do it?

I can only speak for myself, but there was just a point where I knew that it was the right thing. I knew she was the woman for me and that I'd be content to spend the rest of my life with her. I think we had been dating about a year and a half at that point. I don't think there is necessarily some timeline you have to follow for these things but obviously you want to make sure that you really know her and how you interact together. I wouldn't want to pop the question too early in the relationship because you have to get past the honeymoon stage when your both just completely happy with each other. You need to know her faults and know that she knows yours before you can really evaluate if it is right.

I did it while walking on a beach in Mexico after a nice dinner. More on this in a minute.

No regrets. Not yet anyway (knock on wood).

Here are a couple tips:

1. If you are going to propose, definitely do put together a plan to make it special and something that she will tell everyone about and remember forever. BUT, don't sweat the small stuff. If you put together a very detailed process with everything just so, trust me, something will go wrong. For example, I proposed on the beach. It was supposed to be at sunset but dinner took longer than I expected. So by the time we got to the walking on the beach part it was damn near dark. I almost didn't propose to her that night but decided to just do it anyway and everything turned out great. You can't expect everything to go perfectly because it won't.

2. As far as the ring goes, try to get an idea of what her expectations are. You could ask a close friend of hers if she has one that won't go blabbing about it to everyone (including your GF). Some chicks are determined to have a ring with really great clarity and don't necessarily care if it's a little small. Other women want a bigger ring and are willing to sacrifice in other areas. Generally you shouldn't go below 3/4 carat. It's going to be expensive, just brace yourself for that now. Unless she is one of those chicks who "doesn't care about the ring" and really means it.

3. Like TBBOM said, do NOT buy the ring in a jewelry store. Most of them have a HUGE markup. You can get a very nice ring online from a place like Blue Nile or James Allen. You get 30 days or something like that to return it free of charge so you still get to see it before anything is set in stone (no pun intended).

4. Would she expect you to ask her dad before proposing to her? Some women want that and others think it's silly/outdated. This is another thing you should try to feel out.

5. Along those same lines, think about the kind of proposal she might like. Would she want you to do it at a barbecue with all of her friends and family there? Or is she a little more private and would like it to just be the two of you somewhere quiet?

Alright, that's enough of my gay ass advice.

Also, CAN SIZE?! :mad:

Regarding the "how": we went out to a nice dinner, and I asked her by an outdoor fountain afterwards. We were supposed to do it the night before, but friends of ours had gotten some tickets to a baseball game, and since I'm a big baseball fan, it would have been too suspicious if I turned them down. So I moved it to the next night. I also had reserved a room at a nice resort which was next to the restaurant. I had packed a bag with her toiletries and a change of clothes, so the surprise worked.

The only glitch, which we still joke about, is that the next day I wanted to enjoy the amenities at the resort, and she was all "fock that, I need to get home and call everybody#@!" This was before cell phones and electricity and shiot, so it might not be as big of a deal now. But there is a chance that she'll want to tell people soon after you pop the question.

Regarding the "how": we went out to a nice dinner, and I asked her by an outdoor fountain afterwards. We were supposed to do it the night before, but friends of ours had gotten some tickets to a baseball game, and since I'm a big baseball fan, it would have been too suspicious if I turned them down. So I moved it to the next night. I also had reserved a room at a nice resort which was next to the restaurant. I had packed a bag with her toiletries and a change of clothes, so the surprise worked.

The only glitch, which we still joke about, is that the next day I wanted to enjoy the amenities at the resort, and she was all "fock that, I need to get home and call everybody#@!" This was before cell phones and electricity and shiot, so it might not be as big of a deal now. But there is a chance that she'll want to tell people soon after you pop the question.

Yeah, and if possible, figuring out a way to tape it might not be a bad thing. Chicks are big on remembering stuff. She can splice it into the wedding video that she'll b!tch at you for ignoring when she tries to watch it later.

I proposed in one of those horse drawn handsome cabs downtown. I never thouht being 3 feet from a horse's turdcutter was that romantic, but she dug it.

:dunno:

I have been engaged for about 17 years.

Why the heck would anyone get married?

This is good advice. I forgot to mention that when I proposed on the beach I had everything set up in our room while we were gone, so that when we got back there were flowers and rose petals and champagne. You definitely want to account for the rest of the night after the proposal (which will mainly include focking of course).

I never thouht being 3 feet from a horse's turdcutter was that romantic, but she dug it.

:dunno:

Good point: if she is the right one, she won't really give a shiot what you do, and however you ask her will be the bestest evah. If she biotches about it afterwards, you might want to consider that a red flag. :thumbsup:

Thank you all for the advices.

She is a C cup. There should be a picture of us in the photo thread.

I'm not ready yet, it's not the right time to do it. Just wanted to get some ideas of when and how and why and stuff.

I'm still young enough that most of my friends are single, so not too many guys to talk to about it. THe only few who are married are pretty damn religious and we all know why those people get married early.

If everything goes well, I'm guessing some time in 2013 I'll ask her.

I'm not ready yet, it's not the right time to do it. Just wanted to get some ideas of when and how and why and stuff.

I'm still young enough that most of my friends are single, so not too many guys to talk to about it. THe only few who are married are pretty damn religious and we all know why those people get married early.

Damn right its not the correct time. You have 50+ hours of video gaming to undertake starting tomorrow. :cheers:

I'd look at it this way... if you can imagine your life without her, and it doesn't scare you or make you uncomfortable to think about it, move on.

Marriage is a b!tch man. Imagine the little things about her that you think are cutely weird. Five years in, you will want to strangle her with dental floss for those things.

I'm not saying don't do it, but it is definately a whole other way of life.

ETA: Don't buy a ring from a jewelry store. Go to a local diamond outlet or buy it online. Have it set yourself.

And if she needs it to be from Tiffany or something... dump that ho. :thumbsdown:

:nono: It's more special if you go to Jared's :headbanger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw138lD_XeU&feature=related

Damn right its not the correct time. You have 50+ hours of video gaming to undertake starting tomorrow. :cheers:

maa n*gga. :cheers:

I rented a cabin and a ski boat at Lake Havasu. The idea was to take her out in the boat and have a picnic on a little island or sand bar...you know the drill; wicker picnic basket with grapes, cold cuts, French bread and a bottle of white wine. Anyway, we got out on the lake and a wind came up that must have been about 60 mph. I had to keep the boat headed into the wind or we would capsize. I was trying to save our lives and she thought it was great fun. I finally got us into a cove and made the bank. It was a total disaster, and it bummed me out to no end. I didn't ask her to marry me. :(

A week or so later, we were sitting on the couch over at her place and she said she was going to buy some new sheets. I said:

"Why don't you buy them after we are married." That worked.

:)

Dood....she is a Dodgers fan. :doh:

alsoahotdodgersfan

Good topic! I was planning to pop the question on vacation this year and need some advice.

What's the best way to get a ring through customs without her seeing it? (No, anally is not an answer!)

Good topic! I was planning to pop the question on vacation this year and need some advice.

What's the best way to get a ring through customs without her seeing it? (No, anally is not an answer!)

Well if you're proposing while there, there wouldn't be a need to worry about it, as you only do customs on the way back.

Are you talking about airport security? Just put it in something on your carry on. I wouldn't put it in checked baggage, as those get lost.

Ever heard of a common-law marriage? :lol:

Ever heard of a common-law marriage? :lol:

Yep. It doesn't exist in most states and where it does there are certain requirements that must be met, such as both people agreeing that they are married and presenting themselves as married. The requirements vary by state.

To the same dude the whole time ??

if you're thinking about it, do it. just do it. life is short.

and congrats in advance, rice! :)

Another donk bites the dust :wall:

I just don't get the "I have to be married" bit.

Wimmen should currently and for the rest of your future be your mortal enemies.

They don't have sh1t to offer long term except for misery and guilt.

Fine..You want to procreate and keep the kawasukihonda name going...I kinda get that, but you are too young to do this, I tell ya.

It's much better collecting stray kats and crapping your pants on occasion. Trust me.

Fine..You want to procreate and keep the kawasukihonda name going...I kinda get that, but you are too young to do this, I tell ya.

It's much better collecting stray kats and crapping your pants on occasion. Trust me.

I have a new sig.

I am all red in the face from laughing so hard at this post. Thanks. :)

Wow! There should be a reality TV Show about people like you.

I have a new sig.

I am all red in the face from laughing so hard at this post. Thanks. :)

:lol:

I kinda forgot I wrote this :doh: