Sign in to follow this  
dain11279

How’s your blood pressure?

So I had my physical today at work (and by physical I mean they check your BP and give you a TB skin test) and it was 135 over 85. The nurse said thats a tad high. Damn holidays :mad:

Side note: dont ever use the machines at CVS or wherever to check it. Theyre way out of whack

So I had my physical today at work (and by physical I mean they check your BP and give you a TB skin test) and it was 135 over 85. The nurse said thats a tad high. Damn holidays :mad:

Side note: dont ever use the machines at CVS or wherever to check it. Theyre way out of whack

I've been 130+/84+ for twenty years even when I was in top shape. My blood type is gravy though.

I'm blessed with one of these bodies that they have to do a calculation to find my bad cholesterol. BP is always really low. Life of a kept man I guess.

117/72.............Of course I pump 20mg of Lisinopril in me every day.

Lisinopril is good stuff. Got my borderline high BP in check very quickly. They had me try this other stuff first, but it gave me stiff neck/back

Under New Guidelines, Millions More Americans Will Need to Lower Blood Pressure

The nations leading heart experts on Monday issued new guidelines for high blood pressure that mean tens of millions more Americans will meet the criteria for the condition, and will need to change their lifestyles or take medicines to treat it.

Under the guidelines, formulated by the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology, the number of men under age 45 with a diagnosis of high blood pressure will triple, and the prevalence among women under age 45 will double.

Those numbers are scary, said Dr. Robert M. Carey, professor of medicine at the University of Virginia and co-chair of the committee that wrote the new guidelines.

The number of adults with high blood pressure, or hypertension, will rise to 103 million from 72 million under the previous standard. But the number of people who are new candidates for drug treatment will rise only by an estimated 4.2 million people, he said. To reach the goals others may have to take more drugs or increase the dosages.

https://www.nytimes....guidelines.html

Well...that is a relief about the machines at CVS. Mine was through the roof a few years ago while using one of those.

Well...that is a relief about the machines at CVS. Mine was through the roof a few years ago while using one of those.

Yeah I checked it there a few days ago and it was like 160 over 100, I freaked out. I made the nurse today do it twice to make sure. She told me the machines in the pharmacies usually run way high

I once used the machine at a pharmacy and went straight to urgent care.

They laughed at me and told me my blood pressure was fine.

So I felt dumb yet it was great news what an idiot I am.

Lol

:D

My Dr used to tell me i had the best vitals he'd ever seen... That was in the days of carefree living, low stress, working out 5 days a week... Then i got married, had kids, and the weight of work responsibilities kicked in. Now i have average vitals. Don't remember what they are, but everything got worse.

Just looked it up, last few years was around 124/90... Funny my last checkup on halloween it was 106/66.... Maybe im trending back now that im making a concerted effort to be more healthy... Never knew what the numbers meant

A few years ago I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. Every time I went to the Dr it was elevated. Whenever I took it at home it was normal.

So I stopped going to the Dr and it's been fine ever since. :dunno:

ETA: 130/77

I'm overdue for a checkup, but typically in the 110-20/70-80 range.

Also I've had good (correlated) results at the machine at my local CVS. :dunno:

A few years ago I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. Every time I went to the Dr it was elevated. Whenever I took it at home it was normal.

So I stopped going to the Dr and it's been fine ever since. :dunno:

ETA: 130/77

This happened to me when I was having some medical issues about 10 yrs ago. I bought one of those fancy home monitors and tracked it.

Then I went to the eye doc last week and it read really high there too. 160/95.

So I started monitoring it every day again, and cutting out all extra salt and caffeine.

The readings have been:

129/83

118/82

110/85

113/81

121/85

111/84

115/83

110/78

Id like to avoid taking medication if possible.

Dr Pen, what s a good # for a 53 yr old guy to shoot for?

Blood pressure is stupid. On the one hand, they tell us that we should have low blood pressure. Then they turn around and tell us to go running to get our blood pressure up. Make up your mind.

Blood is good. Blood has oxygen and nutrients and fluids and all the good things that you want. So why wouldn't you want more of it in your body?

Plus, little known scientific facts. There's a lot more Strokes these days than there used to be. It's because blood pressure is too low. Back in the day when blood pressure was high it would blow that plaque and stuff right off of the veins. Basically an organic Roto-Rooter. When your Bloods not moving fast enough then fat builds up and then you have a stroke and start walking funny.

These are all true facts.

Trust me, I spent a lot of time in hospitals. I'm basically a doctor.

• Like 1

Wiff, it is common knowledge that you're basically a doctor. So where do you think our BP should be to keep the roto-rooter effect going?

Wiff, it is common knowledge that you're basically a doctor. So where do you think our BP should be to keep the roto-rooter effect going?

😂

The really really good Doctors use the metric system.

In which case, you'll certainly want to keep your blood pressure above 12 Stone or as they say, a fortnight.

The problem with high blood pressure is the strain that it puts on the heart. It has to work extra hard to keep up high blood pressure which is why you want it in a good range so that muscle doesn't get overworked and decide to just stop working. You want to exercise it and get your heart rate up periodically, but you don't want it to be consistently running high.

You can choose whatever you want to do, but I don't think having high blood pressure is a good idea.

Ive had a stroke. Its scary as hell. I quit drinking diet soda and only drink water or unsweetened tea. I think that aspartame crap is the culprit

The problem with high blood pressure is the strain that it puts on the heart. It has to work extra hard to keep up high blood pressure which is why you want it in a good range so that muscle doesn't get overworked and decide to just stop working. You want to exercise it and get your heart rate up periodically, but you don't want it to be consistently running high.

You can choose whatever you want to do, but I don't think having high blood pressure is a good idea.

Hummingbirds have the world's highest resting blood pressure rate.

You don't see them dropping dead right and left to you?

Hummingbirds have the world's highest resting blood pressure rate.

You don't see them dropping dead right and left to you?

hummingbirds have a life expectancy of 3-5 years. I have also never seen a hummingbird old folks home.

hummingbirds have a life expectancy of 3-5 years. I have also never seen a hummingbird old folks home.

You know how one year for a dog is like 7? For a hummingbird one year is equivalent to 19.8 years in human time.

You ever see a hummingbird with a stroke? Maybe its left-wing is paralyzed and so all It can do is fly around in a circle really really really fast?

• Like 1

Aren't you 20 something?

Probably his psych meds. Isn't every kid on them now? And Shonuff.

Ive had a stroke. Its scary as hell. I quit drinking diet soda and only drink water or unsweetened tea. I think that aspartame crap is the culprit

So you have none of the usual risk factors: high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, smoking or irregular heart beat?

This happened to me when I was having some medical issues about 10 yrs ago. I bought one of those fancy home monitors and tracked it.

Then I went to the eye doc last week and it read really high there too. 160/95.

So I started monitoring it every day again, and cutting out all extra salt and caffeine.

The readings have been:

129/83

118/82

110/85

113/81

121/85

111/84

115/83

110/78

Id like to avoid taking medication if possible.

Dr Pen, what s a good # for a 53 yr old guy to shoot for?

Normal is less than 120/80. Your BP values are fine.

It’s not just the strain on the heart, as high blood pressure damages the lining of blood vessels as well. The latter promotes things like stroke, heart attack, kidney disease, vision and peripheral circulation problems.

Strangely enough I have Cardio appointment in 2 hours. I'll let you know.

I hope

:ninja:

Really piss me off when my dentist started taking my blood pressure. Fuuck him.

Same here. It was bad enough when he started doing rectal exams.

• Like 1

Same here. It was bad enough when he started doing rectal exams.

😂

Told me I had bloody gums and my breath smells like shiit.

• Like 1