Sign in to follow this  
rholio

Rholio Update

No, it's a book written by a guy who was married to a girl I went to HS with.

True Patriot, but even as he was dealing with terminal cancer, he wrote a book as a guide to his sons.

It's called "Tell My Sons"

I've read it. It's very good.

At the pinnacle of a soaring career in the U.S. Army, Lt. Col. Mark M. Weber was tapped to serve in a high-profile job within the Afghan Parliament as a military advisor. Weeks later, a routine physical revealed stage IV intestinal cancer in the thirty-eight-year-old father of three. Over the next two years he would fight a desperate battle he wasn’t trained for, with his wife and boys as his reluctant but willing fighting force.

When Weber realized that he was not going to survive this final tour of combat, he began to write a letter to his boys, so that as they grew up without him, they would know what his life-and-death story had taught him—about courage and fear, challenge and comfort, words and actions, pride and humility, seriousness and humor, and viewing life as a never-ending search for new ideas and inspiration.

This book is that letter. And it’s not just for his sons. It’s for everyone who can use the best advice a dying hero has to offer.

Weber’s stories illustrate that in the end you become what you are through the causes to which you attach yourself—and that you’ve made your own along the way. Through his example, he teaches how to live an ordinary life in an extraordinary way.

Praise for Tell My Sons

“A gift to us all . . . Every page exudes courage, honesty, and an indomitable spirit. Mark Weber’s story has touched me in such a profound way.”—Mitch Albom, author of Tuesdays with Morrie

Tell My Sons is a deeply moving, personal account of a soldier’s journey into an ultimate frontier. As I read Mark Weber’s book, I was astonished by its honesty, courage, and discipline. This book offers one of the most profound and detailed descriptions of the strange world of cancer and should be essential reading for all of us who seek to understand that topsy-turvy terrain.”—Siddhartha Mukherjee, Pulitzer Prize–winning author of The Emperor of All Maladies

Tell My Sons is one of the most profound and inspirational stories I have ever read. It may have been written for Mark’s children, but it may as well be a treatise for all of us about honest parenting and leadership with character in love, family, faith, and politics. For a man who is facing profound health issues, Mark is doing a remarkable job showing us all how to live with courage and integrity.”—Walter F. Mondale, former vice president of the United States

“This book is why I have always been proud to call Mark Weber my son. His ability to reach across complex boundaries and write and speak with such depth and beauty makes him a modern day Lawrence of Arabia. Mark’s passion, attitude, and thoughts about life are what is best about America.”—General Babakir S. Zibari, chief of defense, Republic of Iraq

“A poignant illustration of what being a hero is all about . . . Heroes exemplify invincible courage, character, and perseverance in times of insurmountable odds. Mark embodies these attributes. Tell My Sons will empower the reader with profound lessons of living life with hope and determination.”—John Elway, Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback

Randy Bausch's The Last Lecture is also really good, along the same lines.

We are all dying......

Live Like You Were Dying

Tim McGraw

LYRICS

He said

"I was in my early forties

With a lot of life before me

And a moment came that stopped me on a dime

I spent most of the next days

Looking at the x-rays

Talkin' 'bout the options

And talkin' 'bout sweet time"

I asked him

"When it sank in

That this might really be the real end

How's it hit you

When you get that kind of news?

Man, what'd you do?"

He said

"I went skydiving

I went Rocky Mountain climbing

I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fumanchu

And I loved deeper

And I spoke sweeter

And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying"

And he said

"Someday I hope you get the chance

To live like you were dying"

He said

"I was finally the husband

That most of the time I wasn't

And I became a friend a friend would like to have

And all of a sudden going fishin'

Wasn't such an imposition

And I went three times that year I lost my dad

I finally read the Good Book, and I

Took a good, long, hard look

At what I'd do if I could do it all again

And then

I went skydiving

I went Rocky Mountain climbing

And I loved deeper

And I spoke sweeter

And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying"

And he said

To live like you were dying

Like tomorrow was a gift

And you've got eternity

To think about

What you'd do with it

What could you do with it

What did I do with it?

What would I do with it?

Skydiving

I went Rocky mountain climbing

And I loved deeper

And I spoke sweeter

And I watched an eagle as it was flying"

And he said

To live like you were dying"

Lesson for all.....

Geesus Peenus, you had to repost the whole f****** thing? - when you didn't reference ANY of it?

Tard

I read Tuesdays with Morrie.

One of maybe 10 books I've ever started and finished.

I like crazy ears as a writer.

Listening to a Tim McGraw song might push Rholio over the edge. Not cool man. Maybe pick some music that doesn't suck, but also has a good message?

I read Tuesdays with Morrie.

One of maybe 10 books I've ever started and finished.

Mitch gives himself a little bit too much credit in that book. It wasn't Morrie's Tuesdays with Mitch they got him through.

It was Maury's Wednesdays with Wanda that really did the trick.

The problem with ALS is it gets harder and harder to rub one out without assistance.

Trust me. The legal s*** will blow the back of your skull out. Gone are the days of twigs and stems.

One edible alone could bring down a charging Oprah.

:rolleyes:

Lightweight :bandana:

I have a friend who makes her own homemade edibles.dayummmm I have to agree with Wiff here.

If it changes to 2016, you let me know, I'll drive to that fockers house to get our money back

:lol:

This thread all rholio, rholio, rholio. Typical, making it all about himself. Can’t we discuss more about Newbie in here?

Rholio, I have a book I'd like to give you to read. I think it might be worth your time/trouble.

I can send it through Kindle, but need your email address. Can you PM me it?

Appreciate it man, already have a stack of books people want me to read. I can barely put a post together...

Appreciate it man, already have a stack of books people want me to read. I can barely put a post together...

Glad to see your posts. Keep on keepin on

Understood brother.

If there's something else I can do for you or your family, please let me know.

Btw, don't feel like you have to go and compose a whole post or anything either. For Pete's sake, if ever there was a time for emojis...

Comfort brother.

This thread all rholio, rholio, rholio. Typical, making it all about himself. Cant we discuss more about Newbie in here?

I know you are being a d1ck for the sake of being a d1ck but can't you be a d1ck somewhere else.

D1ck

Understood brother.

If there's something else I can do for you or your family, please let me know.

he has a go fund me where several of us have donated.

he has a go fund me where several of us have donated.

BTW have we gotten an update on you and your treatment? Or was that storyline scrapped, I forget.

BTW have we gotten an update on you and your treatment? Or was that storyline scrapped, I forget.

I've chosen to not to post updates about me on this site anymore- only on Jr's board. But I do respond to pms I receive. :)

I've chosen to not to post updates about me on this site anymore- only on Jr's board. But I do respond to pms I receive. :)

Gotcha, Ill check it out then thanks.

Gotcha, Ill check it out then thanks.

I'm going to post my end of year thoughts/status when I get them collected in That thread there. That thread is a mix of the little life I have along with the cancer stuff. Thank you for caring. One never knows about this board. :)

I understand your difficulty to post. Just to let you know I'm thinking of you. Xxx

I understand your difficulty to post. Just to let you know I'm thinking of you. Xxx

:wub:

Now this really hits home. :(

update?

I've been hoping for one as well...He hasn't been on in 3 days. :(

Damn. Yea he really be taking more time to be with his loved ones...and that’s us!

Yeah... i dread when this post gets bumped

I dread the day it doesn't. :cry:

Yeah... i dread when this post gets bumped

I'm scared to open it whenever I see it updated.

:(

I know the feeling too well. Several of my online cancer friends who helped me when i was diagnosed are on hospice. Youre scared to see thread bumped and youre scared when it isnt for awhile.

For my online friends they are sleeping a lot and when awake family is spending precious time with them. Reading and posting has become very difficult for them. Let's keep our t's and p's for comfort and to at the very least make it through Christmas going for our friend Rholio.

I hope things are going well for you Artista. Hopefully your not alone in this battle. You draw strenght from friends and family.

I agree with all of these posts; I worry when the thread is bumped, and I worry when it isn't. We're praying for you Ron, stay with us through the holidays. :thumbsup:

I agree with all of these posts; I worry when the thread is bumped, and I worry when it isn't. We're praying for you Ron, stay with us through the holidays. :thumbsup:

:tearingup:

Did I miss the post confirming he started hospice? Thats sucks. My wife used to be a hospice admissions nurse and I cant say enough about some of the people who do it for a living. They really strive for peace and comfort for the patient and family. At that point, thats really all you can hope for.

I get to play catcher tomorrow morning for my colonoscopy. Figure I'll let everyone gets head start on the jokes.

Seriously though, something's wrong. I've lost 28lbs since the start of September. I've got a constant stomach ache that started months ago and gets worse all the time. I'm to the point I pretty much hate everyone and everything.

Scope tomorrow, hopefully they find what the problem is, and there's a fix for it.

I know this is from the other post but I wanted to highlight just how scary this was. This was the first post in his “big day tomorrow” thread where he was just going in for a colonoscopy after some stomach problems. This is just from oct17th...Insane.