Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Free Agent Tracker

I did. If you look at the TE section you'll see Daniel Brown is listed as an ERFA.

No. I'm saying if you're going to write out the definitions of UFA and RFA, do the same for ERFA....

UFA: A player who has completed four or more accrued seasons and whose contract has expired.

RFA: A player who has completed three accrued seasons and whose contract has expired.

ERFA: ??????????

No. I'm saying if you're going to write out the definitions of UFA and RFA, do the same for ERFA....

UFA: A player who has completed four or more accrued seasons and whose contract has expired.

RFA: A player who has completed three accrued seasons and whose contract has expired.

ERFA: ??????????

Gotcha. I think I left the definition out for a couple reasons. (1) Adding it didn't fit aesthetically into the page easily and (2) there are so few ERFAs compared to UFAs and RFAs that I thought it was ok to not include it. I'll revisit the layout of the page and see if I can squeeze all the definitions in there.

My comment was meant to be sarcastic. We have to give you a break at some point, right?

Yeah, no worries. My main goal ranking the free agents is to simply get the more attractive players likely to make an impact higher on the list. Should probably just group them in tiers rather than linear rankings.

Gotcha. I think I left the definition out for a couple reasons. (1) Adding it didn't fit aesthetically into the page easily and (2) there are so few ERFAs compared to UFAs and RFAs that I thought it was ok to not include it. I'll revisit the layout of the page and see I can squeeze all the definitions in there.

Just a suggestion. The editor in me notices things like that. Thanks for creating it.

I know, I'm a homer, but I'd rank Brate the #1 FA TE. Eifert is a huge injury risk. Graham is 32, who's going to give him more than a 3-year deal? Burton's career totals are about what Brate did for the Bucs just in 2017. Jenkins isn't really all that good.

Would agree I think Brate could be the number one te also.

I think Hyde should be number 2 at rb.

Thanks for the list appreciate it.

Gotcha. I think I left the definition out for a couple reasons. (1) Adding it didn't fit aesthetically into the page easily and (2) there are so few ERFAs compared to UFAs and RFAs that I thought it was ok to not include it. I'll revisit the layout of the page and see I can squeeze all the definitions in there.

Perhaps easier - Just keep it RFA but if it is ERFA make it a different color

Big victory for A.J.

Wrong year for him to have pressed for this. I think he just made his career worse off. If I needed a QB, I'd take a shot at one of the 6 rookies (Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Mayfield, Jackson, or Rudolph), in this class before I'd take a run at him. Then in free agency, I'd much rather have Keenum and Cousins. That puts him at best #9 on the list of possible options. I may even put Tyrod Taylor ahead of him. I can't think of that many teams who need a QB. I mean, there's the Giants, Vikings, Cardinals, Bills, Jets, Browns, and Broncos. That's only 7. Anywhere he goes, it'll to be as a backup. His best shot, I think, would be to go to Indy (hope that Luck still isn't ready), Miami (hope that he can beat out Tannehill), or Tennessee (hope that Mariota gets hurt again).

He might get lucky and Belichick likes him. Gives him a 3-year / $15M deal to backup Brady. I think that's the best he could hope for. Of course, if Brady stays healthy, he'll have just pissed away 3 more years. Like I said, I think he screwed up for trying to become a free agent this year. If he had waited until next year and some question marks... like Miami or Jacksonville shake out, he could have been able to step right into a starting role.

I disagree.

He did it when the opportunity was there to do so.

I'm glad for him, and I can't wait to see where he ends up.

Wrong year for him to have pressed for this. I think he just made his career worse off. If I needed a QB, I'd take a shot at one of the 6 rookies (Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Mayfield, Jackson, or Rudolph), in this class before I'd take a run at him. Then in free agency, I'd much rather have Keenum and Cousins. That puts him at best #9 on the list of possible options. I may even put Tyrod Taylor ahead of him. I can't think of that many teams who need a QB. I mean, there's the Giants, Vikings, Cardinals, Bills, Jets, Browns, and Broncos. That's only 7. Anywhere he goes, it'll to be as a backup. His best shot, I think, would be to go to Indy (hope that Luck still isn't ready), Miami (hope that he can beat out Tannehill), or Tennessee (hope that Mariota gets hurt again).

He might get lucky and Belichick likes him. Gives him a 3-year / $15M deal to backup Brady. I think that's the best he could hope for. Of course, if Brady stays healthy, he'll have just pissed away 3 more years. Like I said, I think he screwed up for trying to become a free agent this year. If he had waited until next year and some question marks... like Miami or Jacksonville shake out, he could have been able to step right into a starting role.

I think you're way off on him. He won't be a teams first choice, but he'll land somewhere and compete for a starting job.

Broncos, Redskins, Zona, Jets.

I didn't mention the Browns, I think they gave up on looking for a QB after Otto Graham.

Why do you think that Keenum for Zona?

Just asking, not judging.

Just interested in your input.

Thank you.

Why do you think that Keenum for Zona?

Just asking, not judging.

Just interested in your input.

Thank you.

They can't afford Cousin's and they aren't ready to go into rebuilding mode. They have a solid d, David Johnson coming back, they'll retool the o line this off-season, and a mid first pick, well after the top rookies will go. He just seems like the defacto best bet

I think you're way off on him. He won't be a teams first choice, but he'll land somewhere and compete for a starting job.

That's what I said. I said at best, he'll get a backup job where he'd have to compete. The thing is, he'll be competing for a job he can't/won't win. No team is going to draft a first round QB and start (for a full season), McCarron over him... see Mike Glennon. What happened to both Glennon and Osweiler is the best case scenario for McCarron this season. If he had waited for next season, some question marks would have been answered and more obtainable starting jobs would be available.

I disagree.

He did it when the opportunity was there to do so.

I'm glad for him, and I can't wait to see where he ends up.

What opportunity? He's at best the 10th best QB option in a market that's only requiring about 7.

I will put this one caveat out there about McCarron though. Hue Jackson did want him last year and was willing to give up a 2nd round pick (if I recall correctly), to get him. I think the possibility of them signing him as a FA and drafting Barkley at #1 overall there. I mean, if you're willing to give up a 2nd round pick in-season, you apparently expect they'd want him for more than a 10-game rental.

That's what I said. I said at best, he'll get a backup job where he'd have to compete. The thing is, he'll be competing for a job he can't/won't win. No team is going to draft a first round QB and start (for a full season), McCarron over him... see Mike Glennon. What happened to both Glennon and Osweiler is the best case scenario for McCarron this season. If he had waited for next season, some question marks would have been answered and more obtainable starting jobs would be available.

If he lands on a QB needy team that isn't in rebuild mode, he could easily start over a rookie all year.

If he lands on a QB needy team that isn't in rebuild mode, he could easily start over a rookie all year.

Like Arizona, Jacksonville, Minnesota, or Denver? I'm not saying I disagree with your premise, but I don't agree with you this particular year. I think Cousins in going to Denver. I think Keenum is going to Arizona. I think Minnesota is going to re-sign Bridewater. I think Jacksonville is keeping Bortles. Of course, if you think Minnesota would be a place where McCarron could go and compete with Bridgewater, I'd agree... but I think Minnesota would rather make that competition include Taylor and not McCarron. There's actually too many QB's. Who'd have ever thought that would happen? Not me.

It may work out perfectly for him and I hope it does, I just don't see it. Not this year at least.

Of course, I could be missing out on what the league-wide perception of McCarron is, but I'm only giving my take.

I'm not sure how good he'll be, but I think for AZ or maybe even Denver he'd make a nice bronze metal. Cousins price is too high, Keenum gets tagged in Minnesota, Eagles price on Foles is too high, suddenly an unknown game manager style QB in McCarron is in play for one of those teams. I have no idea if he's any good, but a team with a solid d not wanting to pack in the season with a rookie QB could see him as a viable plan c. But who knows how it'll play out.

I think he can diffently be the QB that a team will trust as their starter.

I think his stock his better then tenth best.

As an AZ homer I'd love to get Keenum but I haven't heard much talk on local radio. I've heard more about Mayfield although personally I'd rather take Jackson. Plenty of FAs on that list to carry the load this year if they don't go Keenum. Hell, I'd be happy with a Josh McCown reunion while we develop somebody. :cheers:

I think he can diffently be the QB that a team will trust as their starter.

I think his stock his better then tenth best.

Curious, who would you rank him over? Here's how I see the QB's of the off-season ranked...

1. Kirk Cousins
  2. Josh Rosen
  3. Sam Darnold
  4. Case Keenum
  5. Josh Allen
  6. Lamar Jackson
  7. Baker Mayfield
  8. Mason Rudolph
  9. Tyrod Taylor (will probably be cut)
  10. Teddy Bridgewater
  11. A.J. McCarron
  12. Mike Glennon (will probably be cut)
  13. *** Note, I like Luke Falk a lot. I'd see him as having a better chance of being a franchise QB than McCarron.

Who are you putting him over? I'll give him 10th, over Bridgewater, but Bridgewater clearly has a better pedigree and track record than McCarron. Tyrod Taylor just brought his team to the playoffs. I could see someone ranking McCarron over those two, but it won't be based on production or pedigree... it'll be based on hype. The guy was a 5th round pick and has made less than 150 pass attempts. Yeah, he looked good in 2015 on a team with AJ Green, Marvin Jones, and Tyler Eifert and with 2 RB's who tallied over 1500 rushing yards and 500 receiving yards. I'd be shocked too if someone played well in 3 spot starts with that surrounding talent (sarcasm).

There are only 7 teams (or so), that need a QB.

• Buffalo (either keep Taylor or draft someone... picks #21 and #22)
  • New York Jets - Draft pick #6
  • Cleveland - Draft pick #1 or #4
  • Denver - Kirk Cousins
  • Giants(?) - Draft pick (good fit for McCarron, but I still think they draft someone).
  • Minnesota - Re-sign Keenum (tag if need be)
  • Arizona - Draft pick #15

With 2 quality free agents (Cousins and Keenum), and 6 draft picks, that's already 1 more QB than what is needed. McCarron will at best be a temporary starter and future backup where ever he goes. If he waited one more year, a job opening could come up in Jacksonville, Miami, or even Cincinnati. There's probably not going to be any FA's next year and the draft class right now looks to be very thin.

Will there you go, you just answered your own question.

If you move him ahead of both Bridgewater and Taylor and I would, based on your own list that would make him 9th and that would make better then tenth best, right?

Done

• Like 1

Will there you go, you just answered your own question.

If you move him ahead of both Bridgewater and Taylor and I would, based on your own list that would make him 9th and that would make better then tenth best, right?

Done

Ok, then we're really splitting hairs on how he ranks. I was thinking you were looking at him a lot higher than that. I have him 11th, 10th at best because as I will not rank him ahead of Taylor. If you have him 9th, then while I won't agree with you, I won't quibble over it because he's still not getting signed by anyone to be their franchise QB.

Rookies may be better long term, but this season I think I'd rather have McCarron if I'm trying to win. I watch a lot of pac 12 and Rosen and Darnold weren't overly impressive and that was against college teams.

If I'm the Broncos or Zona he's my third QB, after Cousins and Keenum.

If im another team that needs a QB I'm looking at Cousins first and then either Keenum or one of those high ranking college qbs

But I think AJ can be good for either Zona or the Broncos.

I would like to see him on the Broncos.

I disagree with your opening premise that AJ McCarron made his career worse off by arbitrating for his free agency. On the open market he will undoubtedly make more money for his family than if he had stayed with the Bengals and signed the restricted free agent tender.

He could sign a one year deal with any team and it would of been more than the tender.

Best case would for him to go to the Browns and the Browns draft non QBs with their one and four in the first round.

I disagree with your opening premise that AJ McCarron made his career worse off by arbitrating for his free agency. On the open market he will undoubtedly make more money for his family than if he had stayed with the Bengals and signed the restricted free agent tender.

He could sign a one year deal with any team and it would of been more than the tender.

Best case would for him to go to the Browns and the Browns draft non QBs with their one and four in the first round.

I don't see it, besides, my point was for a long-term career move and not a short-term money grab. As I mentioned in my post, I believe his best case scenario is a 1-year backup - for little money - to a team that already has a starting QB. The most likely thing to happen is for him to get a 3 yr / $12M deal. That's not good if he wants to be a starter. He'll be like Case Keenum and be 30 years old when he'll get another crack at a contract. At that point, he'll need to be lucky, like Keenum was. As of right now, it looks like the Patriots are the only team to have offered him a deal.