Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

** Round 5 - 7 Commentary - August 10-Team PPR Mock **

Now it gets tough. Thought about going a few different ways here, but at this point I opted for what could be a big leg up over most teams at the TE spot. With no flex spot I feel comfortable finding a WR3 later in the draft (or possibly the wire). Where this might hurt me, however, is RB depth. Just have to see how it plays out.

Dion Lewis 5.03 It gets tough here there are not alot of good reliable RB's anymore. Upside pick here. The guy was on 2 of my teams last year. He was a top 5-8 RB when he played. Do the Pats really run much? It's non stop short pass and Dion gets his catches.

Dion Lewis was a good pick. Was going for him myself but he didn't make it back to me

Dion Lewis 5.03 It gets tough here there are not alot of good reliable RB's anymore. Upside pick here. The guy was on 2 of my teams last year. He was a top 5-8 RB when he played. Do the Pats really run much? It's non stop short pass and Dion gets his catches.

So, a theoretical question for you all. How do you determine which of the round 4-6 running backs to select??

I had Forte, D. Murray, Lewis and at least 2 others who have not yet been selected. I would have taken Forte, but he got snipped right before me so I took Murray from a team who wants to run a lot. But, this is PPR! Murray only has an unproven rookie as competition so if he stays healthy, he could be a 3-down back. Lewis, great upside but he does play for Belicheat. Some others are borderline startrs with injury concerns.

Thoughts??

Well we shouldn' discuss names but after the top 6-8 RB's it's a show. Too many RBBC everywhere now. I am happy with C.J and Dion actually. Boh have top 5-10 upside.

Lewis gets hurt so he's risky.

Murray new team again and a RB taken early who is a Hiesman winner and is likely more talented than him

Forte? They say timeshare but where he goes he's a good pick.

Even though Dion Lewis plays for BB and we all know how fickle he can be with his RBs Lewis is still going to get on the field. He is good for at least 3-5 receptions per game and in a 1 PPR league you're still looking at decent points even in a down game. But the games he blows up he BLOWS up. Only downside I see with him is injury risk just from his running style

So, a theoretical question for you all. How do you determine which of the round 4-6 running backs to select??

I had Forte, D. Murray, Lewis and at least 2 others who have not yet been selected. I would have taken Forte, but he got snipped right before me so I took Murray from a team who wants to run a lot. But, this is PPR! Murray only has an unproven rookie as competition so if he stays healthy, he could be a 3-down back. Lewis, great upside but he does play for Belicheat. Some others are borderline startrs with injury concerns.

Thoughts??

With someone who is your second selection at RB, you want to have the confidence that you can start him every week. DeMarco Murray is someone you can expect to see significant action every week. We know that Dion Lewis has the ability to deliver splash weeks but that Belichick likes to make such significant changeups in his game plan from week to week that there might be some games in which Dion will be lightly used. That doesn't mean that Dion Lewis was a bad selection as CMT's 2nd RB - he certainly is explosive - but that CMT will likely be covering the bases with future RB selections that give him the confidence he'll have all of his weeks covered.

Looking at trends I would stay away from any RB changing teams. It usually does not turn out well, especially when older like Forte.

Sorry guys, had an unexpected twist of events that slowed me down this morning.

I selected Donte Moncrief as my next pick. Spence Toons mentioned how high he was on Hilton as a blue chip

piece for the expected rebound of Andrew Luck.

Moncrief is a sleeper of mine because of the solid production he displayed last year.

I hope Toons doesn't mind me sharing in on his blue chip wealth. :first:

Sorry guys, had an unexpected twist of events that slowed me down this morning.

I selected Donte Moncrief as my next pick. Spence Toons mentioned how high he was on Hilton as a blue chip

piece for the expected rebound of Andrew Luck.

Moncrief is a sleeper of mine because of the solid production he displayed last year.

I hope Toons doesn't mind me sharing in on his blue chip wealth. :first:

Welp, it looks like my theme of a rebound for Andrew Luck got a spot of egg on its face in a 4:19 blurb from yesterday:

"The Indianapolis Star's Stephen Holder says he has been "a bit underwhelmed" by Andrew Luck through the first week of training camp."

Fingers crossed Luck will quick work of this objection.

Ideally, Foster gets selected a couple rounds later; but considering his high upside and that the tone of recent blurbs has turned surprisingly positive, I got spooked.

From those blurbs:

7/19 – Coaches feel Foster closer to 2014 form than 2015

7/31 – Foster “annihilates” his conditioning test

8/1 – Ajayi will be out a few days with a bone bruise

8/1 – Gase says Foster will be practicing with the 1’s all camp long

With Ajayi hobbled and Foster in condition to at least play at season’s start, this may be a backdoor way for me to cover Bell’s suspension with the kicker that Foster might surprise and stay healthy beyond week 4.

Yes, he’s a chronic injury risk but with the recent selections of Jordan Reed and Dion Lewis, the theme of Round 5 seems to be getting-comfortable-with-injury-risk so a pick of Foster fits right in. :P

Ideally, Foster gets selected a couple rounds later; but considering his high upside and that the tone of recent blurbs has turned surprisingly positive, I got spooked.

From those blurbs:

7/19 – Coaches feel Foster closer to 2014 form than 2015

7/31 – Foster “annihilates” his conditioning test

8/1 – Ajayi will be out a few days with a bone bruise

8/1 – Gase says Foster will be practicing with the 1’s all camp long

With Ajayi hobbled and Foster in condition to at least play at season’s start, this may be a backdoor way for me to cover Bell’s suspension with the kicker that Foster might surprise and stay healthy beyond week 4.

Yes, he’s a chronic injury risk but with the recent selections of Jordan Reed and Dion Lewis, the theme of Round 5 seems to be getting-comfortable-with-injury-risk so a pick of Foster fits right in. :P

This was not a curve ball pick for me but more of an ephus. This seems about two rounds early for my liking. I know the Ajayi news makes him more intriguing but still. Very risky in my mind.

Welp, it looks like my theme of a rebound for Andrew Luck got a spot of egg on its face in a 4:19 blurb from yesterday:

"The Indianapolis Star's Stephen Holder says he has been "a bit underwhelmed" by Andrew Luck through the first week of training camp."

Fingers crossed Luck will quick work of this objection.

He will be fine. I just wanted a good slice of that pie. For my 3rd WR who starts on a team that's shown a history of putting up points, I couldn't ask for a better scenario.

From those blurbs:

7/19 Coaches feel Foster closer to 2014 form than 2015

7/31 Foster annihilates his conditioning test

8/1 Ajayi will be out a few days with a bone bruise

8/1 Gase says Foster will be practicing with the 1s all camp long

With Ajayi hobbled and Foster in condition to at least play at seasons start, this may be a backdoor way for me to cover Bells suspension with the kicker that Foster might surprise and stay healthy beyond week 4.

Yes, hes a chronic injury risk but with the recent selections of Jordan Reed and Dion Lewis, the theme of Round 5 seems to be getting-comfortable-with-injury-risk so a pick of Foster fits right in. :P

Interesting news. Definitely will have to keep a closer watch on Foster now

Edelman in a PPR league, granted Brady suspension hurts, but i liked him as a #2 / #3

By far this was the hardest pick I've had to make so far. I was torn between a lot of players at different players. I chose to lock up my starting WRs though so now I have my starters at RB and WR. I went with Larry but I have my concerns because of his age and competition on the team. Should be a good WR3 for me though.

Stoked to get Kelvin Benjamin here to lessen the blow of going on a massive RB run. I'm a big believer in him this season at his current cost. I don't think he will exceed his rookie numbers, but he has the potential to come close.

Stoked to get Kelvin Benjamin here to lessen the blow of going on a massive RB run. I'm a big believer in him this season at his current cost. I don't think he will exceed his rookie numbers, but he has the potential to come close.

Benjamin was the other player I was torn between Larry with. I chose reliability over Benjamin though. I'm just not sure how good he is yet.

I like the pick. Getting the should be #1WR that's shown the upside of what he can do on the Panthers.

Nice selection here.

Jordan Matthews is suffering from a sophomore campaign that disappointed a lot of people, but again he is the top option at WR for the Eagles, and should be good for an 80 catch 1,000 yard season.

It seems like forever ago that the fantasy world used to heavily hype third year WRs.

Jordan Matthews is suffering from a sophomore campaign that disappointed a lot of people, but again he is the top option at WR for the Eagles, and should be good for an 80 catch 1,000 yard season.

It seems like forever ago that the fantasy world used to heavily hype third year WRs.

I owned him last year and he made me pull my hair out at times. I always thought he could be a volume beast if he and Bradford could get on the same page and stiil do.

But he was my substitute for OBJ in the championship game and I will be forever indebted to him for that amazing final three minutes when he turned 10 fantasy points scored into a final total of 23.

Jmatth has the talent. I think his QB play has almost gotten him killed a few times. I think it's great value given his upside. If I didn't already have 3 receivers I probably would have taken him.

On Walker, I think he could even build on last year with Mariota. I don't believe last year was a fluke or just Mariota being a rookie.

Once again I could've gone a lot of different directions with this pick since I have my starters at RB and WR but I thought Duke Johnson was too great to pass up. I love him this year in PPR format.

Once again I could've gone a lot of different directions with this pick since I have my starters at RB and WR but I thought Duke Johnson was too great to pass up. I love him this year in PPR format.

That's who I had my eye on for my 6.06 pick. Even if the Browns find themselves trailing often, he's likely to get a lot of dump-off passes

That's who I had my eye on for my 6.06 pick. Even if the Browns find themselves trailing often, he's likely to get a lot of dump-off passes

I will probably have him on a lot of teams this year.

I was deeply considering Duke Johnson when I took J-Matt. I didn't particularly want to load up on 4 RB's so early considering the lack of FLEX and only starting 2 RB...one of the first times that my early strategy removed BPA from me. Nice value at that spot. Dude is gonna be a beast in PPR

While a rebound for Luck has been one of my themes for 2016, an even stronger one is that what SEA built on in the second half of last season when they shortened Wilson’s drop-back and pass-release times and his production skyrocketed as a result – that they’re going to emphasize that again this year. Coach Carroll has telegraphed as much. I think Russell Wilson has a strong chance to finish as the QB1 this year despite a tough schedule.

While a rebound for Luck has been one of my themes for 2016, an even stronger one is that what SEA built on in the second half of last season when they shortened Wilsons drop-back and pass-release times and his production skyrocketed as a result that theyre going to emphasize that again this year. Coach Carroll has telegraphed as much. I think Russell Wilson has a strong chance to finish as the QB1 this year despite a tough schedule.

No mentioning players who haven't been taken

I was hoping Duke would fall back to me, but you guys are too sharp to let that happen.

I was hoping Duke would fall back to me, but you guys are too sharp to let that happen.

It's hard to get some steals in these mocks.