Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

David Wilson

GM Jerry Reese subscribes fully to the "best player available" theory and it is hard to fault him with this pick, in part because Wilson is the closest thing this draft has to Ahmad Bradshaw. Bradshaw may have a bit more burst initially, but Wilson is more durable and has some sleeper fantasy potential in this situation considering the Giants want a back to split carries with Bradshaw. As a result, he should be in line for 8-10 touches/game on a regular basis right away, with the added benefit that he could easily carry the load should Bradshaw miss a game or two. Wilson should be one of the more sought-after handcuffs in fantasy for redraft purposes, but New York wasn't his best landing spot for dynasty purposes since Bradshaw is under contract through 2014.

Interesting opinion. Historically, the Giants don't give rookie RBs a lot of carries. This kid is multi-talented for sure, but I don't think he has the size to be an effective pass blocker. I would expect Wilson to mostly be relegated to kick return duties as a rook. If the Giants don't sign a veteran RB to replace Jacobs, I would think Scott will take over that role.

IHistorically, the Giants don't give rookie RBs a lot of carries.

True, but they don't usually draft RBs in the first either.

True, but they don't usually draft RBs in the first either.

Even Dayne did not get a lot of carries as a rookie, (228 or roughly 14 per game) and he was pretty much the only back they had.

Compare that to Chris Johnson who had 251 carries as a rookie, splitting time with LenDale White (200 carries).

Even Dayne did not get a lot of carries as a rookie, (228 or roughly 14 per game) and he was pretty much the only back they had.

And that was 12 years ago and the last running back they took in the first until yesterday you batshit crazy retard. :wave:

And that was 12 years ago and the last running back they took in the first until yesterday you batshit crazy retard. :wave:

That's why I used him as an example. To be fair, Tiki Barber had 213 carries Dayne's rookie year, but the plan at the start of the season was to use Dayne as the primary RB, Tiki simply proved to be the better back.

It's a bad example. I understand what you are saying...the giants bring along their RBs slowly. But they seldom use a first round pick on one. You bring up the last one they did which was 10 plus years ago and was sucky ron dayne.

And he had more carries as a rookie, than he did for any year in the rest of his NFL career.

I just feel like the loss of Jacobs, leaves a big hole there that the Giants can't really fill. He's likely the best pass blocking RB in the NFL and Eli doesn't have him anymore. I'm not really seeing a RB on the roster right now that has those kind of protection skills (and is 6'4 and 260 pounds).

How's Ladanian Tomlinson as a pass blocker? Isn't he living in New York without a job right now?

And he had more carries as a rookie, than he did for any year in the rest of his NFL career.

I just feel like the loss of Jacobs, leaves a big hole there that the Giants can't really fill. He's likely the best pass blocking RB in the NFL and Eli doesn't have him anymore. I'm not really seeing a RB on the roster right now that has those kind of protection skills (and is 6'4 and 260 pounds).

How's Ladanian Tomlinson as a pass blocker? Isn't he living in New York without a job right now?

first, your proving my point on dayne and highly drafted rb's drafted by ny. They are expected to contribute right away.

Second, Bradshaw is routinely among the top pass blocking running backs.

GFIAFP going full retard in this thread. Dayne was over a decade ago and that was a different GM and coach.