Sign in to follow this  
brotherbock

Marvin Lewis leaving the Bengals

From Roto:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Marvin Lewis is planning to leave the Bengals after this season to pursue other opportunities.

Lewis was already in lame-duck status, so this is a mutual parting. The Bengals have been trending toward moving on since owner Mike Brown didn't extend Lewis going into 2017. Lewis has a .525 winning-percentage (123-111) but is winless in the playoffs and looking at consecutive losing seasons. He won't be back in Cincy, but Lewis could draw offseason interest as a retread.

I expect this is going to get mixed reactions. A lot of people like the guy.

What took so long.

Bungles and Browns have been so hopeless for so long, they practically gift-wrap annual playoff appearances for the Steelers each year.

Gotta make a team to beat the Steelers.

Lewis wasn't making good coaching decisions and his players underperformed year after year.

Very much so, the Bengals never one a playoff game, but yet they had the roster do to so.

Agree with the above post.

Proverbs 15:33.

This reminds me of when an ex girlfriend wanted to break up with me and then I said it was fine because she was awful and I was going to break up with her anyways!! :cry:

There's a withering overtone of fatigue that seems to have woven itself into the entire organization and perhaps that can't be rooted out unless new blood comes in. But it looked like we were here once before in 2010 ( with a string of 10 straight losses midseason) and Marvin surprised as the Bengals responded with their longest ever streak of consecutive playoff appearances. But, yeah, after 16 years, it's tough to believe he can conjure up a third wind.

However, I don't get all the sniping I see above.

After a playoff appearance in 1990, Cincinnati descended into a 12 year hellhole that a long line of ineffective coaches presided over. The Bengals were the butt of jokes across the football media. In the public's perception, I'd say they occupied the spot equivalent to where Baltic Avenue stands and under Marvin's 16 year tenure they moved well around the board to perhaps as far as Pacific Avenue at that perception's peak. Heck, there was a moment 2-3 years ago when Sports Illustrated moved the Bengals to the top of their power rankings (just before CIN was to get shellacked by NE in Foxboro :o ). You would have never seen a #1 ranking under any of the forgettable coaches that came along before Marvin.

In his long tenure, he moved the organization an appreciable distance to a much better place. It shows up in a lot of quirky ways, whether you look at Pro Bowl invitations, consecutive sellouts (used to be that the only home games locals would get to see on TV were visits from the Steelers), free agent signings, prime-time games, and of course playoff appearances.

Oh...what's this ? He didn't win any of those playoff games ?? Let's tar and feather the bum then. :thumbsdown:

Well, that's not the way I see it. I look at the overall level of respectability he brought to the organization (for a team and fanbase that was absolutely starved for it) and I extend my hand and say, 'Nice job, sir..'

I can only hope the next HC continues to move the Bengals along in a positive direction. Given the front office's history of hiring over the decades, though, it doesn't appear to be a 50-50 proposition.

This shouldn't change anything. Lewis should still send Jeff Fisher Christmas cards every year.