Sign in to follow this  
murf74

Not a catch?

If they kick a fg doesn't that game play on.

I think that would have been a good move at that time.

I think that's a call the coaches would make, I pretty sure Big Ben doesn't make those calls.

Bad coaching move again.

The Partiots own them, and it's always because of coaching.

The Bill and his staf are just amazing.

Truly have too be considered the best football dynasty ever.

Yeah, greatest dynasty ever....with more asterisks, cheese, questionable behavior, rules violations, yeah-buts and various other conveniences that just don’t add up. Years from now this will tarnish the so called legacy. It’s always something with the Pats. Always. Never clean and honest. Never feeling "right". Started with the tuck rule and you can now add this joke to the list. Hey, whatever. If you can get away with it then why not? Good for them.

The NFL wants them to win. It’s good for ratings and keeps that "bad guy" thing established aka WWF style. You need the Iron Shiek or Sgt. Slaughter to exist. Ya know? It’s all good. :)

Yeah, greatest dynasty ever....with more asterisks, cheese, questionable behavior, rules violations, yeah-buts and various other conveniences that just dont add up. Years from now this will tarnish the so called legacy. Its always something with the Pats. Always. Never clean and honest. Never feeling "right". Started with the tuck rule and you can now add this joke to the list. Hey, whatever. If you can get away with it then why not? Good for them.

The NFL wants them to win. Its good for ratings and keeps that "bad guy" thing established aka WWF style. You need the Iron Shiek or Sgt. Slaughter to exist. Ya know? Its all good. :)

I think you're going a bit overboard. Sure they have questionable things in their run. But it's not on them that Pete Carroll and that moron in Atlanta handed them titles.

I'm just glad this incident hasn't screwed my team once again.

That said, it's pretty pathetic that the lawyers have screwed up the NFL to the point that nobody knows what a catch is.

That's something 12 year old's playing football in the back yard don't have any trouble getting correct, without replay.

The rule is flawed, but it was applied correctly on review. After the fact, that was a dumb pass to throw. Ask Pete Carroll.

The player was already on the ground when he had control of the ball. If he were touched right away he would have been down by contact. But since he wasn't touched, he turned and reached the ball over the goal line.

The rule was applied incorrectly

I wonder how many classic catches over the decades would have been overturned if the refs scrutinized them like they do today on instant replay? Somebody should gather the concensus top 25 catches of all time (like the "immaculate reception, etc) and judge them using the BS rules the refs use today. I bet a lot of those catches the ball moved a millimeter in the WRs hands when they hit the ground and today would be overturned.

I wonder how many classic catches over the decades would have been overturned if the refs scrutinized them like they do today on instant replay? Somebody should gather the concensus top 25 catches of all time (like the "immaculate reception, etc) and judge them using the BS rules the refs use today. I bet a lot of those catches the ball moved a millimeter in the WRs hands when they hit the ground and today would be overturned.

Probably a lot. Who knows? It just seems so awful that nowadays many games and/or key moments in games come down to subjective judgement calls by lawyers - I mean officials :). He caught the pass, made a clear "football" move and the ball broke the plane. The very second it breaks the plane its a TD. Sorry but thats that.

Ironically the vegas line for this game was.... wait for it.... 2.5 points. Its all legit though :D

The player was already on the ground when he had control of the ball. If he were touched right away he would have been down by contact. But since he wasn't touched, he turned and reached the ball over the goal line.

The rule was applied incorrectly

Yeah he might as well have run ten yards and then reached it into the endzone. Would have been the same thing since it was already a catch.

when he caught it and his knees were on the ground that should have established the catch. then he turns and reaches the ball over the plain of the goal line as soon as it crossed that line td play should have been over. nfl is about as consistent with this sort of call as they are meting out their punishments

:cry:

:lol:

if, .. the headsets!

if, if, .. the psi's!

if, if ,if... the bad call!

assterrick. Assterrikers! ASSTRARISKSKS!!!!

:lol: fockin' losers.

when he caught it and his knees were on the ground that should have established the catch. then he turns and reaches the ball over the plain of the goal line as soon as it crossed that line td play should have been over. nfl is about as consistent with this sort of call as they are meting out their punishments

Exactly. It was no longer about controlling the catch to the ground. He was already there. He was then essentially a RB reaching over the goal line.

I get the rule. I just don't think the league knows how to distinguish between when the ground causes a fumble and when possession of the ball has occurred..

Exactly. It was no longer about controlling the catch to the ground. He was already there. He was then essentially a RB reaching over the goal line.

I get the rule. I just don't think the league knows how to distinguish between when the ground causes a fumble and when possession of the ball has occurred..

If you read the rule, you have to hold it through first contact to the ground, which he did, then he became a runner with a football move, which is obvious by anyone who watches football. Break the goalline and the play is over well before the ball gets close to the ground.

And is it no wonder the refs ate their whistles on the last play..........Pats penalties for the night was 2 for 4 yards

Shocked there is not talk into the defensive holding on last pass to Eli..........irrefutable evidence here, look at Eli's jersey holy crap!!!!!

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/12/eli-rogers-believes-held-final-fake-spike-play/

When the catch was made he was going to the ground, so he must complete the act of the catch as he goes to the ground. See Dez Bryant last year.

It's a STUPID rule. I think the rule needs changed. However, by the current rule. He did not complete the catch as he went to the ground. The ground can't cause a fumble, but it can cause an incompletion as it did in this case.

• Like 1

When the catch was made he was going to the ground, so he must complete the act of the catch as he goes to the ground. See Dez Bryant last year.

It's a STUPID rule. I think the rule needs changed. However, by the current rule. He did not complete the catch as he went to the ground. The ground can't cause a fumble, but it can cause an incompletion as it did in this case.

:thumbsup:

I don't even know why people are comparing the two ITT. Completely different.

I think the misinterpretation among many here is that he already went to the ground once with the ball secure then turned and lunged for the TD which is the football move after taking it to the ground. It's amazing guys can literally use the ground to help catch the ball, but they call this incomplete.

As Tony Dungy said in flag football, pee wee football, high school football, college football it's a TD, only place they somehow find a way to not call it a TD (remember this is reversed) is in the NFL

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/12/eli-rogers-believes-held-final-fake-spike-play/

NFL is a frickin joke

A joke

NE continues to run games they shouldnt year after year

That ruling was bullshit. As soon as he crosses the plane of the Goal Line, touchdown. This surviving the catch through the ground bullshit is so stupid. The guy caught, spun around, made a lunge for the end zone, that's a catch. How many football moves does a guy have to make? So if a guy catches it on the 20-yard line, then runs 15 steps to the end zone and dives in, he didn't make a catch because it didn't survive through the ground?

stupid.

Also the steelers up, they should have spiked the ball and kicked the FG, so that's on them. Bad coaching.

He was already on the ground when he caught the ball. If he were to be touched at that point, the whistle would have blown and he would be down by contact. Since he wasn't touched, he made a move to reach/lunge the ball over the goal line. Those are two different actions. 1. Catch (and his knees/rear were down on the ground) 2. Reach over and score.

The only reason this rule comes into play is because they used it incorrectly.

How were they out coached? If the QB just doesn't throw a pick, Pitt is fine. It sometimes just gets down to the players doesn't it?

They were outcoached because the smart play was to spike the ball, and kick a gimmie FG for OT.

Instead Ben says he was told to run the called play, where the clock was ticking down and they put themselves into an all or nothing situation where he had to force a throw.

They were outcoached because the smart play was to spike the ball, and kick a gimmie FG for OT.

Instead Ben says he was told to run the called play, where the clock was ticking down and they put themselves into an all or nothing situation where he had to force a throw.

They had plenty of time. Ben could have thrown the ball away. That was a terrible play by Rothlisberger. Player error, not coaching.

They had plenty of time. Ben could have thrown the ball away. That was a terrible play by Rothlisberger. Player error, not coaching.

Not a Tomlin supporter most instances but this one is on Ben for execution. He should have thrown in stands when one guy only ran the play. Still could have kicked FG. Ben has been on fire but got cute. Still there was PI not called on that play but they were gonna swallow that whistle.

Player error, not coaching.

there was confusion and disagreement on Ben and PIT players and coaches over whether to stop the clock or fake spike it.

PIT was not prepared.

Meanwhile, you have NE who saw PIT's fake spike play from last year in film prep and practice in the week they had to prepare for the game..

“Everybody was in panic mode trying to get lined up and I just see Big Ben fake it — I was like ‘Oh, they’re running the play,”’ said Rowe.

Harmon also noted that the Patriots had prepared for the fake spike in practice and film study.
“We’ve seen it on film,” he said. “We was ready for it. And literally Eric Rowe made a great play and I was there to clean it up.”

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2017/12/17/duron-harmon-roethlisberger-fake-spike-interception

What team is not prepared for a fake spike? Lol. Marino kind of ruined that decades ago

What team is not prepared for a fake spike? Lol. Marino kind of ruined that decades ago

The Steelers werent.

The thing I don't get about it is when these plays happen on the sidelines.

How can a guy who hasn't completed a catch not be ruled out of bounds while he's rolling around on the sidelines, completing the catch?

the thing that shocked me was why ben did not throw the ball through the uprights when rogers was not running alone

I saw the playclock ticking down and I did not see time for anything other than spiking the ball and kicking a FG.

(:09) (No Huddle) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short middle intended for 17-E.Rogers INTERCEPTED by 30-D.Harmon (25-E.Rowe) at NE -2. Touchback.

Maybe had it fallen incomplete they would have had time for a FG. Ben did force the throw, agreed, but he didn't call the dumb predictable slant play up the middle. Throw a fade to the corner, or out to the sideline harder to pick.

Still comes down to bad coaching to me. Spike the ball, kick a FG. Coach put his player in a situation where he felt he had to force it. I think it's a little from column A, a little from column B. Not fair to put the blame squarely on the QB.

lack of prep. agree the fade would be better, but it's a simple trick. if they fall for it and he's running alone - throw the td. if he's not, throw it away

Yeah, greatest dynasty ever....with more asterisks, cheese, questionable behavior, rules violations, yeah-buts and various other conveniences that just don’t add up. Years from now this will tarnish the so called legacy. It’s always something with the Pats. Always. Never clean and honest. Never feeling "right". Started with the tuck rule and you can now add this joke to the list. Hey, whatever. If you can get away with it then why not? Good for them.

The NFL wants them to win. It’s good for ratings and keeps that "bad guy" thing established aka WWF style. You need the Iron Shiek or Sgt. Slaughter to exist. Ya know? It’s all good. :)

You're grasping a little bit here.

Filmgate and deflategate aside, They did overcome a 31 point deficit to win a Superbowl. I'm no Brady fan but that is pretty epic one has to admit. Brady more often than not has been cold as ice and very clutch when required. I don't know that there is an overarching conspiracy to "let the pats win". I think this is just a case of a bad rule being applied in a game-changing situation. I don't necessarily think the Steelers didn't get the call because they were playing the pats.

Brady has had stellar career stats against the Steelers, that can't be denied. That final Pats drive in the 4th quarter he surgically destroyed the Steelers defense, which is unfortunate because until then they'd played really well most of the game.

if, .. the headsets!

if, if, .. the psi's!

if, if ,if... the bad call!

assterrick. Assterrikers! ASSTRARISKSKS!!!!

:lol: fockin' losers.

Hey man, say what you want. The sports talk shows are buried with calls that clearly call this a bunch of crap. You Bostonians can think what you want while the rest of Earth can think what we want. The Pats are cheaters and have been benefitting from very suspect BS for a while now. The whole "GOAT" thing is really a joke in the eyes of most level-headed people in the sports world. Perception is reality. But go ahead, do as you wish. We all will too. Its always something, my man. Always. You can call it salt or whatever else.

But everyone not living in Boston *knows* whats going on here. Its all meaningless. Sorry, brah. :)

Hey man, say what you want. The sports talk shows are buried with calls that clearly call this a bunch of crap. You Bostonians can think what you want while the rest of Earth can think what we want. The Pats are cheaters and have been benefitting from very suspect BS for a while now. The whole "GOAT" thing is really a joke in the eyes of most level-headed people in the sports world. Perception is reality. But go ahead, do as you wish. We all will too. Its always something, my man. Always. You can call it salt or whatever else.

But everyone not living in Boston *knows* whats going on here. Its all meaningless. Sorry, brah. :)

The headset thing is strange that it always happens to the Steelers when they go to New England, that's true. Tomlin was pretty pissed about that last time.

Difficult to prove the team orchestrated it though. They may be cheaters, on some levels, but they're good at it.

Still, this is different, NE came to the Steeler's house and robbed them of a win, fair and square. the Steelers beat themselves in this one.

i'll agree with that 3rd line. i'm a steelers fan through and through and do not feel cheated at all about yesterday.

it was all within their control and they just failed to execute. failed to hold on to easy interception. failed to hold onto the ball after hitting the ground. failed to throw ball away when fake spike didn't fool them.

nobody's fault but the steelers yesterday

The headset thing is strange that it always happens to the Steelers when they go to New England, that's true. Tomlin was pretty pissed about that last time.

Difficult to prove the team orchestrated it though. They may be cheaters, on some levels, but they're good at it.

Still, this is different, NE came to the Steeler's house and robbed them of a win, fair and square. the Steelers beat themselves in this one.

Headset

Deflategate

Spygate

Illegal use of the IR list

Tuck rule

Yes, they are cheaters, plain and simple. And you say they're good at it? Maybe, but they sure do get caught a lot.

Odd too how on Ben's horrific INT, the refs must have swallowed their whistles since the WR was literally pulled to the ground.

Headset

Deflategate

Spygate

Illegal use of the IR list

Tuck rule

Yes, they are cheaters, plain and simple. And you say they're good at it? Maybe, but they sure do get caught a lot.

Odd too how on Ben's horrific INT, the refs must have swallowed their whistles since the WR was literally pulled to the ground.

This is really coming across as salt, sorry man gotta be honest. Are the Pats 100% squeaky clean? Probably not but none of that is relevant to this game. Pats came in and snuck out with a win, and they did it clean.

The WR was frigging triple covered going through the middle. Romo called it! Like he said it was a ridiculous play to call a slant up the middle is way too predictable, and the same play cost Seattle the Superbowl. Should have called fade routes to the corners. I'd have to watch the play again to determine if there was PI, but it sure didn't look like it to me.

• Like 1

i'll agree with that 3rd line. i'm a steelers fan through and through and do not feel cheated at all about yesterday.

it was all within their control and they just failed to execute. failed to hold on to easy interception. failed to hold onto the ball after hitting the ground. failed to throw ball away when fake spike didn't fool them.

nobody's fault but the steelers yesterday

I am still pissed off over that game actually. I called it before it happened "Don't force the play, kick a FG!!" I don't know if you follow the CFL, but Calgary did the exact same thing with a very similar situation in a championship game (just kick a FG to go to OT), but they forced it and threw an INT. Terrible execution.

As they said, Brady is an assassin. You want to beat that guy, you need to get him down, then keep kicking him while he's down.

This is really coming across as salt, sorry man gotta be honest. Are the Pats 100% squeaky clean? Probably not but none of that is relevant to this game. Pats came in and snuck out with a win, and they did it clean.

The WR was frigging triple covered going through the middle. Romo called it! Like he said it was a ridiculous play to call a slant up the middle is way too predictable, and the same play cost Seattle the Superbowl. Should have called fade routes to the corners. I'd have to watch the play again to determine if there was PI, but it sure didn't look like it to me.

That's fine. And you're right, none of that (that we know of) is relevant to this game. Well, unless we question why Gronk only got 1 game for delivering a People's Elbow to an unsuspecting players head.

It was a ridiculous play. And since I have Cooks, I certainly wanted OT. That doesn't change the fact that there was interference on the play, that the overturned TD was questionable at best, and some how, despite the statistical improbability, the Pats only had 2 penalties all game.