Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

Goodbye to fantasy football?

Well, my State (Missouri) has just screwed all us fantasy football players. Don't let the headline fool you. You have to read the article. After March of 2017, a fantasy site will have to pay $10,000 per year just for the rights to all us Missourians to play their game. On top of that they will get either 11.5% of the sites revenue in the state, or 10% of all entry fees from this state. The article mentions only the two daily games as being able to pay this.

I have been a big player with Real Time Fantasy Sports and MFL for years. Since they were first put online. Now, those great sites will not be able to remain here. This is a sad day. Even the small sites my friends and I have for work and fun will be forced to pay this, which they will not be able, or willing, to do. I'll either have to move, or play daily fantasy games, for my fix. I have a dynasty league older than my daughters. Keeper leagues that are just as old.

How long before other states foolishly adopt this?

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/legalized-fantasy-sports-in-missouri-expected-to-get-underway-in/article_15ec2012-9f1f-59ca-88bb-ecc1ce02278a.html

As far as I am aware...

This only pertains to leagues where you pay money to a host site in order to win money from the league.

So...Fanduel and Draftkings would apply.

As it pertains to MFL, this would ONLY affect MFL10's, MFL25's, MFL100's. Those are leagues where you have to pay money and you win a pot. It would also affect things like a Yahoo! Pro league.

Free leagues (chuckle) where there is not a payout from the host site - including normal leagues hosted by MFL - aren't.

Join the club. I live in Iowa where I've never been able to participate in money leagues like MFL10s, Fanduel and Draft Kings.

That why I'm in a few private leagues with money.

There are many season-long operators and contests that will be affected by this, not just MFL10s. Under this law, FFToday will have to exclude people from Missouri in our 3 and Out contest next season. We've already had to add Virginia to the list of states not eligible to play in 3 and Out! this season because of a similar law that state adopted, charging a hefty fee to register.

These states are making laws for "DFS" yet they encompass season-long game providers too. Unfortunately some law makers don't understand this and are killing some small business operators in the process.

I would encourage anyone wanting to continue playing in fantasy sports contests, whether it be DFS or season-long to contact their local government representatives and encourage them to pass smart and reasonable legislation on this issue.

You can read more about this at the SBFSTA.

I could do without MFL10s or fanduel if I had to. The only reason I really like fanduel is because of a private league I do with some guys from work. I won the most weeks last year :) and I intend to win more this year. I came in second a few times by less than a point.

Thanks for posting that Mike. I was listening to the ESPN station here in St. Louis and they were talking about this earlier. Apparently, this deal is more of a "buy out" from the daily fantasy sites to kill the competition. I thought the mafia was gone??? The more I read, the more I hate the daily leagues. Missouri has never been a progressive state, so if it happens here, you can bet your ass it's going to happen elsewhere too.

It would be nice if there was some national agreement instead of individual state deals. Then states get a percent, they can be happy and stop bltching.

• Like 1

This news is very sad .

I hate to see this type of government bullying going on .

I think they know exactly what they are doing and that's what makes this matter even more horrible.

I agree with you oldtimer its just the beginning of what sooner than later will get worst .

• Like 1

Isn't it possible to rent a po box out of state and use that as a work around?

Gotta provide that W2 info to vet

• Like 1

Once upon a time laws were only put in place to protect people. Now its done so the Government can exploit its citizens.

• Like 1

Brutal. Thought everyone played FF in Missouri. Unfortunate so many business members of the SBFSTA (and FSTA) were so gung-ho supporting FanDuel and DraftKings.

• Like 1

Brutal. Thought everyone played FF in Missouri. Unfortunate so many business members of the SBFSTA (and FSTA) were so gung-ho supporting FanDuel and DraftKings.

FanDuel and DraftKings have hired lobbyists in some states to try and sway the politicians their way. By forcing FF sites into this pay-for-play deal, most will simply disappear. These two sites will be the only thing remaining if we aren't careful. I encourage everyone who plays fantasy football to pay attention and contact those in power in your state to let them know you are NOT for this type of thing.

Either that or you can go back to the old days when everything was done by hand.

Scoring by newspaper.

Weekly newsletters.

Trades announced by individual phone calls.

Joy!

• Like 1

Either that or you can go back to the old days when everything was done by hand.

Scoring by newspaper.

Weekly newsletters.

Joy!

And arguments !

Think my last argument as a commissioner with a newspaper was Peyton Manning throwing a pass that deflected off a player and he caught it and ran for a TD. Official scoreing was Manning to Manning which I rewarded so.

It's what made fantasy football the game it is today .

These states are making laws for "DFS" yet they encompass season-long game providers too. Unfortunately some law makers don't understand this and are killing some small business operators in the process.

I would encourage anyone wanting to continue playing in fantasy sports contests, whether it be DFS or season-long to contact their local government representatives and encourage them to pass smart and reasonable legislation on this issue.

You can read more about this at the SBFSTA.

I love this site, and have no problem with anyone generating revenue for content, contests, etc. But DFS (draftkings and Fanduel) brought this on themselves by proving that they needed to be regulated. Unfortunately their lack of foresight into not better safeguarding their games from being rigged is going to wind up punishing the entire industry. But left unchecked, I seriously doubt those two companies would have had any motive to police people using data algorithms and insider information to gain an unfair advantage over the average player. The industry needs to divest itself from the ad revenues these two companies provide if it wants to have a grievance against these type of laws.

Are we going back to the days when we had to get all of our stats out of USA Today... ha ha... ugh :(

When owners had to make their own draft sheets and starting lineups and sleepers.

What happens if we all play in "fun Leagues" where no money passes hands(wink wink). Then the state can take their 10% of nothing. Can they stop free fantasy football?

What happens if we all play in "fun Leagues" where no money passes hands(wink wink). Then the state can take their 10% of nothing. Can they stop free fantasy football?

That's what the majority of people have been doing for years. It will never stop.

It may come across a slippery slope here...but...

I kinda wonder about Leaguesafe and sites like it that hold money for payouts. While I doubt the government truly wants to wade into that (right now), any participant that's in a state where this applies is technically illegally gambling.

Start a new religion, :dunno: A fantasy football religion. All religions are tax exempt :banana:

Someone needs to tell my CPA that news .

Obviously worst case scenario you just make your own webpage and sites will get creative to offer 3rd party live scoring widgets.

Obviously worst case scenario you just make your own webpage and sites will get creative to offer 3rd party live scoring widgets.

We got a bingo !! All my leagues are free I just have to make weekly payments for the chicken legs and beer

It doesn't change anything as long as sites like yahoo, ESPN, CBS and NFL have free leagues. Being in Iowa I don't get to take let in any of of the pay leagues yet I've been in multiple leagues that have money involved for years now. The money just gets handled off the site.

It doesn't change anything as long as sites like yahoo, ESPN, CBS and NFL have free leagues. Being in Iowa I don't get to take let in any of of the pay leagues yet I've been in multiple leagues that have money involved for years now. The money just gets handled off the site.

We still give a commissioner in a yahoo league we play a free ride, not really sure why other then he handles the pick-ups

Scoring by newspaper.

Weekly newsletters.

Joy!

Oh wow, I remember the days when ALL league teams would call me on Sunday mornings with their lineups and usually shoot the bull. It would take like 2-3 ours to get all lineups collected!