Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Would you take this job?

Your salary is $1 million per year. You only need to work 40 hours a week, Monday- Friday 7 am - 330 pm, within 20 minutes from your house. You get a 15 minute break and a 30 minute coffee break.

Your job is to sit in a pitch black room and do nothing. You can't sleep, play on your phone, talk to anyone. Absolutely nothing while you are at work and not on break. The bathroom is in the room you are in so no taking really long bathroom breaks outside.

If you quit at any point you have to return the money you made for that year.

Couldnt do it without going insane, so no.

eta: maybe I could do it for one year, keep the million, then move on with life.

Why would I take a pay cut?

:first:

I would go mad if I had to sit alone in a dark room with nothing for just 1 - 8 hour shift.

It would suck, but I would try. Those breaks would be gold. And most people are going to change at the end of that. Way too much time to think.

The real question is would you take THIS job for a million a year

I'm not sure I would make it past the first day - that's some scary shiit.

only if I can fight 3rd graders

I really don't think anyone who thinks they would last would actually last. I wouldn't even bother trying. I'd probably quit before the 2nd day was up. The only way to get through it imo would be to train and seriously prepare yourself the day before. You would have to have a lot of stuff kind of pre loaded to think about to keep the mind occupied.

I have done trivial stuff before for 12 hour shifts like watching gauges, it blows. And I can walk around a bit and talk to people sometimes. Right now our work isn't ready so I am helping another crew of guys, their work is watching gauges and just looking at a hose for leaks. It's horrible.

Straight through? No. With the breaks you said? Yes. That wouldn't be so bad. Just learn to meditate and you're good. You get decent breaks and aren't confined to the room constantly. Now if you were confined to the room in total darkness for every day for a year for a million dollars then the answer is no. The human mind can only take so much. And that is one of the worst tortures that can be done.

Straight through? No. With the breaks you said? Yes. That wouldn't be so bad. Just learn to meditate and you're good. You get decent breaks and aren't confined to the room constantly. Now if you were confined to the room in total darkness for every day for a year for a million dollars then the answer is no. The human mind can only take so much. And that is one of the worst tortures that can be done.

Wasn't part of the deal a pitch black room???

No. Not even for a day. After the first shift I'd freak out. I can't watch the ending to "Saw". Being locked in the dark till you die would be my thoughts. I'd rather finger Rosie and Oprah on their rag for eight hours a day than sit in the dark with nothing than do that.

Practice meditation.

Smoke reefer on your breaks.

Easy mil

You wouldn't last a week.

I'm not sure it would even be possible

Yeah. It would take crazy discipline to be able to handle each day. It's not something where someone just picks up meditation and is good to go. I have done jobs where I sit there all day and do nothing. It's torture. Watching a bottle gauge all day, and that's when I can talk to people sometimes. Even the laziest of people who didn't mind fire watching all day, the guys who could bull shlt with the welders they were watching for, they even talked about how much it started to suck.

The thing you guys are forgetting is you get 2 breaks. You take that time to readjust yourself and you will be fine. Sure it'll be hard but you aren't kept the all day and night.

The thing you guys are forgetting is you get 2 breaks. You take that time to readjust yourself and you will be fine. Sure it'll be hard but you aren't kept the all day and night.

Sensory deprivation is a form of torture for a reason. I don't think 45 minutes is enough of a break.

Sensory deprivation is a form of torture for a reason. I don't think 45 minutes is enough of a break.

Which is why you meditate for the time. The torture only works if you aren't allowed to see daylight or do things outside for days at a time. Here you don't get that. You get breaks, get to go home, get weekends off, holidays off, etc. Easier than you think

Okay, wanking it killed a good five minutes, now what? :)